The Runaway Groom // Brallon

By TheTruestBlue

"Drive the car." "Wait, who the hell are you?" "Satan. Now DRIVE!" Dallon bringing home a stray puppy in his... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Someone To Stay

Epilogue

3.5K 143 428
By TheTruestBlue

[A/n: enjoy this 8k word epilogue. P.S. listen to the song after reading it. Thanks and enjoy!]
****

"Okay, so if Dan accidentally burns the café without me, please call me immediately."

"I will not!"

To see these two tease each other never gets old for Dallon. He'll miss it while the older man goes back to the UK again. It might take a while to have him back again, but if there's one thing about Matty that he can confirm, it's that you definitely won't forget about him.

"And you expect me to forget the kitchen covered with flour the day before my flight back last time?"

"I was still new in the business back then, you arse!"

"Like a married old couple." Brendon mumbles beside him with a smile on his face, making sure only he and Dallon could hear.

Dallon scrunches his nose at that before chuckling. "I don't think they'd appreciate being called old. They're in late twenties but not old."

"Married late-couple. Not bad?"

"Not bad."

The flurry of people at the airport seem unfazed by the two British men's banter but it's not like Brendon cares that they care. They're here to watch a friend off. They could at least enjoy it before Matty leaves.

"So, see you again in the next months, kids." Matty addresses him and Dallon with that lopsided grin of his. Of course he made sure to mess with his hair and gave Dallon a playful punch on the chest for it.

Matty turns back to Dan with the smile, but in Brendon's opinion, it looks more heartfelt. It's as if he's saying goodbye for the first time, even if they've done it lots of times now, probably.

"Say hi to Louis for me. And talk to your Mum, okay? You know she can't resist you. I should know. I've known her since Uni, remember?" Dan says, returning the smile as he pats on Matty's shoulder.

The curly haired man scoffs, crossing his arms as if he's annoyed by it. But the amused smile he's fighting is really letting the impression down. "Of course I do. I was actually convinced she was planning to adopt you. She adores you a lot. I'm surprised the adoption papers don't exist yet."

"Well, if you just marry Dan and get it done with then technically-" Dallon blurts out that made him widen his eyes. Matty seems quick enough to cover the taller man's mouth before he finishes the sentence and maintains his smile at the blue-eyed English man.

As the intercom announces that Matty's flight is almost for boarding, they knew the discussion has to be done. They'll be seeing each other again, anyway. No need for goodbyes.

"I think... he's more different than usual." Dan says as they watch Matty's figure walk away from them.

"How so?" Brendon questioned, turning to the raven haired man whose eyes continue to watch the other.

"Happier, I guess. And relaxed."

"That's true." Dallon agrees with a smile. "He usually looks extra grumpy when he leaves. I think that's a good thing, right? Maybe he'll make things better with his Mom and Brother now."

If Brendon has made it possible, then he hopes for Matty too.

****

"As of recent, we heard news that you sponsored an event for the LGBTQ+ community. Has this always been a plan of yours for your campaign, Mr. Urie?"

Brendon's eyes watch the television screen, as his father is engaged on his interview in national television. If he was honest, he was nervous for his dad. First off, he knew that the inner workings of his political line aren't exactly supportive of the LGBTQ+ community. He should know. He's seen it himself.

Not only was he nervous for his Dad, he was nervous of the viewer's reaction. Just imagine outing yourself for supporting a community that the close-minded majority still won't accept in the freaking 21st century. Why would his Dad risk his reputation for this? He could have always funded the project secretly.

"Well, I think he loves you more than you think."

Brendon turns to look at Dallon, questioning him for that remark. "What?"

Dallon doesn't look at him. The brunette's eyes still glued to the television screen with a smile as his father talks in the background. "You asked why he'd be willing to risk his reputation in national television for supporting the community. Think about it, Bren. If he wanted publicity or the support of the masses, there's always the charity for the poor. But he decided to support the minority. How do you think that started?"

He wouldn't have realized that simple fact if Dallon didn't point that out. It took years of him for hiding his sexuality. It was basically a month ago when his father finally confronted him about it.

"This was never for any campaign." His father says, his eyes full of conviction of the words he's planning to say. His Dad has always been a calculating person; always making sure his words are something he won't regret.

But things aren't the same as Brendon thought it was.
"This is me, being a parent who tries to support what these youth are feeling. So, no. It's not for any campaign, it's not for some political scheme."

His father looks at the screen with a proud look on his image. It's as if his Dad is talking to him. He tries his best not to look too emotional by it, but that's an impossible thing to control.

"This is me, being a Father."

The interviewer continues to question his Dad but he tunes them all out for the rush of overwhelming warmth he feels. He sniffs, rubbing a hand over his eyes with a weighted chuckle that sounded more like a sob. All he could feel was Dallon's arm around his shoulders, keeping him in balance.

"Your Dad is amazing." Dallon says softly, pulling him closer until his head lands on the taller man's shoulder.

His glistening eyes continue to watch his Father's figure, speaking with confidence on what he hopes for the project he will support on. Brendon is not scared to admit how proud he is of the man he's seeing right now. And he's lucky to have him in his life.

"He really is."

****

"I-Is this gonna be expensive?"

Hayley chuckles, waving off his concern for whatever this tailored suit is gonna cost. Out of the expense of Brendon's parents. "Don't think about that. Just wear it for the event and you'll have no problem."

Dallon doesn't believe one second that the suit Brendon's parents lets him borrow will not cost a fortune. Also noting that he refuses to accept something expensive much to their insistence that he keeps it.

You would think this is the part where the fairy godmother gives Cinderella the make over for the ball. Well, it's not far off, anyway.

"What do you think, T? Can you do your magic with Dallon here?" Hayley questions the curly haired boy who just took his measurements for the suit.

If not for the coincidence that the other man's name is Taylor who makes tailored suits, it would have been sort of funny. But all these things happening right now unnerves him enough to do so.

"I think I know just what to do for him." Taylor says as he jots down his measures on his notebook. He then turns to Dallon with a reassuring smile. "And don't worry about the cost and all that. You can just think of this as free sample of our service."

"Well, most people don't really give out suits as free samples." Dallon says that made Taylor chuckle.

"That's true. But really, it's no problem. I guess I enjoy making suits enough to mind not being paid for it." Taylor responds with the same smile. "Just don't tell Brendon I said that. I don't think I could bare making another sparkly golden suit for him without stressing."

Hayley laughs at that, and Dallon assumes Brendon must have requested something ridiculous before, judging by Taylor's exasperated expression.

"Speaking of Brendon, I believe we just finished his suit today, Hayles."

"Great! I'll pick up his suit now and we'll return tomorrow for Dallon's. Thanks, T. You're the best." Hayley says with that sparkle in her eyes. She always seems excited and perky. It somehow reminds him of Nikki.

They bid their goodbyes to Taylor and left the shop with Brendon's suit in hand. Dallon wonders how Hayley met the guy. They seem like they knew each other for a long time.

She turns to him with a proud smile when he asked. "He's like you, actually. He's a really soft spoken guy and really nice. Taylor's my best friend ever since we were kids."

"Since kids? That's quite a strong friendship you have."

Hayley shrugs, hugging the tailored suit closer to her arms as they continue to walk. "Well, yeah. That doesn't mean we didn't go through hard times. As cheerful and bubbly as I act, I'm not really much of an optimist, you know? We really didn't have it easy."

Somehow, Dallon knows how that goes, seeing as Brendon seems to be like that too. Behind that smile of his, he knows the younger man is struggling with his own problems.

"Taylor is like, the voice of reason in my head. Sure, he's a quiet guy but he's really hopeful about the things we can do even if he's insecure of his own abilities. He doesn't know how amazing he is. Sometimes I don't think he even knows how much he mean to me."

"Then let him know. That's just how it goes, right? You guys will be fine." Dallon says with a smile towards the shorter blonde. And Hayley agrees with a smile of her own.

"You and Brendon will be fine too." She says eventually after a moment of silence, giving him a cheeky grin. "He never shuts up about you every time he visit his parent's house."

"S-Sorry." Dallon blushes as he mumbles that apology. Because really. What else was he suppose to say about that?

"Aww, don't apologize for Brendon being all lovestruck about you." Hayley coos at him that would have probably made his blush more prominent but he just lets the young woman continue.

"I haven't seen him this happy in a long while, so we should be thanking you. You've really made him happy." She says with a smile, but then gives him a stern, hopeful look. "Just don't hurt him, okay? Intentionally, I mean."

"Y-Yeah. Of course, Hayley."

To make sure he keeps his words, Hayley raises her pinky to seal the deal. The innocuous gesture made him chuckle, but even so, he wraps his pinky around her own. A promise.

A promise he's willing to keep for a long time.

*****

"You think a blender would be a nice gift?"

Spencer shrugs, scrolling through his phone for potential gifts that would be suitable for a couple. "Pretty common, man."

He grumbles, scratching that idea off his mental list. "I'm bad at this stuff." Brendon says with a huff. He knows he looks like a child pouting right now but he doesn't care. He's almost out of gift ideas.

"Hey, Ryan. You're married. What gifts did you get when you got married?" Brendon addresses Ryan, who was reading a newspaper with a look of disinterest.

The brunette hums as he closes the newspaper and crosses his arms, leaning his weight against his seat. "Some household stuff. Silverware, pots and pans, an oven, pillows and a comforter. Those stuff. They're nice and all but we haven't really used most of them."

"You should invite Chris Martin to sing for the wedding. You have connections." Spencer advised with a grin. "If it was my wedding though, I'd want that." He hints suggestively that made Brendon roll his eyes at his friend.

"Do they even like Coldplay? I don't know, man. But they do like music." Brendon mused.

The three of them are huddled together thinking of potential gift ideas but so far, none of them could think of a good present that would at least be memorable for a couple.

"Turntable and some vinyls would be great for them then." Dan announces with a smile as he brought their drinks. "It'll be nice to have that around the house, don't you think?"

"That's... actually a good idea. Even I'd want that around the house." Ryan notes with a smile then turns to Brendon and Spencer for their opinion. "It's a good idea, right?"

It sounds great in Brendon's opinion. Having a turntable and some vinyls to bring more life into the soon-to-be home of a couple would be wonderful.

He knows it's nice to have some sound around. It's something he has with Dallon that fills the already comfortable silence that they share. It somehow makes him feel more connected to the brunette just by listening to a song they both enjoy.

"It's settled then. Thanks, Dan." Spencer addresses the Englishman, flashing him with a grin.

"No problem, mate. When's this wedding, by the way?"

"Next week." Brendon responds, then taking a sip of his coffee. He then felt his left pocket vibrate, signaling a message from someone.

He unlocks his phone and opens the waiting message on his inbox. At the sight of the message, he smiles.

"That's from Dallon, isn't it?" Ryan says with an amused smile that made Dan and Spencer give him the same look. He sends the teasing trio a judging glare.

"It's from Hayley, you jerks." Brendon points out, letting his tongue out like a child. "I asked her to help Dallon with his suit for the event."

It was an image sent by Hayley which shows a selfie of them together. Hayley, as usual, squints her eyes and gives her megawatt smile. And the exceptionally tall man beside her just lets out a shy smile; his eyes bright and the rosey color that tints his face is evident on his cheeks.

Another message soon follows after the last one with the caption "You're welcome" with the silly wink emoji. It was another picture, but only of Dallon. He doesn't seem to be aware the picture was taken. He was in that moment of a mid-laugh. His eyes barely seen by the laughter lines in his eyes. His cheeks are a little flushed. He just looks... delighted.

And if this was the first time Brendon has seen Dallon, he would have fallen in love instantly.

"Oh my god, he's so in love I wanna puke." Someone—obviously Spencer—groans at his expression that makes Dan and Ryan laugh. Brendon makes sure to flip them off before saving the picture as his wallpaper. God, he really is terribly lovestruck that he's being so cliché now.

But it's okay, despite the constant teasing of his friends. It's a feeling he wants to savor for the rest of his days.

And for the last of those days, he hopes it's still Dallon with him at the very end.

*****

"I think I might have to marry you for this."

Dallon blushes furiously, his face heating up at Brendon's statement. After he got the suit from Taylor, the younger man dragged him for a hair cut. He knows his hair has really grown out and he even thought of cutting it off. It just ended up with Brendon getting ahead of him.

And now he runs his hand through the strands of his short hair. It's now been styled up, making him look rather decent. He's not quite sure if he's really looking at himself now. He looks a lot different.

"Do you like it? It suits you a lot, Dal." Brendon says, his chocolate swirls continue to gaze him with an unreadable expression that makes his heart flutter. The younger man's warm hand reaches out and runs through his hair, gently massaging the scalp. It's a good thing he's sitting down because the gesture would have made his knees weaken.

Dallon's heart thuds louder as Brendon leans down, inches their faces closer that makes him loose his breath. He's nervous about what's about to happen.

"Can I kiss you?" Brendon whispers, just almost against his mouth. His hand still remains in his hair, his fingers making such calming ministrations on his scalp that makes him feel dazed.

It's either the hand on his hair or the inviting presence of the younger man's mouth just within reach, but he nods anyway. And the moment his lips closed the distance, Dallon knew he can never escape from something so enticing as the softness of Brendon's plump lips.

He barely had vices. But if he were to have one, it'll be this.

The kiss is slow and deliberate. It's as if Brendon is being cautious about making a move that he wouldn't approve. And for someone who lacks experience, he appreciates that.

But he trusts Brendon enough to let it go further, so he pulls the younger man's collar, pressing his mouth closer to his, just to feel more of what they have in this moment.

The younger man sits on his lap and everything just becomes heated, intense. An unexplainable desire burning in his chest of something he never experienced before.

And to think, he thought his life would be all just one straight play; a normal performance of living just to live. A performance that would instantly close once the show is at its end.

But then Brendon arrived, and it just didn't end with the curtains closing. And this is how he'd allowed him to feel.

"This is where you've allowed me to wander
Because of you, I've grasped the wheel."

As his lips continue to move harmoniously against the other man, he knows that tears have fallen from his eyes. His heart beats like an uproarious applause; a beam of spotlight, a standing ovation. A story worth telling. A story worth living.

"Because of you, there's an encore."

And with a hand against Brendon's, they take the final bow.

*****

"Just in case you forgot that I've told you this for the twentieth time, you look gorgeous, Dallon."

He really does. Taylor did an amazing job for his suit. It's the type of suit that really fits Dallon's sharp features, but still made sure to show his soft expressions. And if Brendon didn't know him, he would have assumed Dallon was some high-class model. If he wasn't in a wedding of Pete and Patrick right now, he would have lost his composure to control himself.

"It's been the twenty-first time, actually." Dallon mumbles in a hushed tone, along with that adorable blush in his cheeks. "Please be quiet. The ceremony is starting."

The venue is in a beautiful garden with trees brightened with fairy lights on its branches. He never considered this would be the venue knowing Pete. But the said lawyer is a romantic at heart. Which is pretty impressive considering the whole place is just really beautiful. It's the type of place where you spend with someone you love.

They've seen a few familiar faces before the ceremony. Also, almost all of Patrick's students are invited, which is rather adorable to see the kids in their little dresses and suits. He couldn't keep the grin from his lips when he sees some of the little girls and Nikki walking the aisle as a flower girl.

And then there's Pete and Patrick, hand in hand as the person who officiates their wedding makes the speech. Brendon can clearly see the bright smiles of the two men. Affectionate and pure.

A few days ago, Pete was a nervous wreck. He fears of making a mistake, he thinks Patrick will back out from the wedding which was insane in Brendon's opinion because he knows from Dallon how Patrick feels for the lawyer.

Patrick sure as hell ain't Satan that runs away from weddings and escapes to someone's car.

They'll be just fine.

"There's no running away this time, right?" Dallon whispers in his ear as the two men proceed to exchange their vows.

Brendon shoves him playfully by the shoulder and chuckles. His gaze then returns to the couple as they now exchange the rings brought by none other than Bronx.

And now that he thought about Dallon's question, he wonders if it's about Pete and Patrick, or themselves.

He can only take the older man's hand as an answer, grasping his warm, slender hand in his. Holding on to it as if its his lifeline. And maybe it is. Dallon is something that will make him remember that he should be living his life and not just existing.

That's not something he'll be letting go anytime soon, or in the future.

*****

When he told Patrick he got into a scholarship to start studying again, the married man was ecstatic for him.

"But you'll still be working here?" Patrick inquired as he puts out some decorations for the classroom. It was that crudely cut decoration of a human shaped streamer. Patrick isn't much of an arts and crafts guy. That's more his own forte, but the other teacher insisted he do it himself just so he could take his break.

"Yeah. I'm sure I could still make time for the kids." Dallon says as he provides the streamer into the teacher's hands. "Honestly, I love the kids too much to leave them."

"I'm sure they'll be happy to hear that." Patrick supplies, as he adds the finish touches to his designs. "Kinda hard to find another extra hand, you know?"

Before Dallon could respond, he felt someone tugging on his hand. He looks down to see little Tyler calling for his attention. He turns to Patrick with a look, and the teacher lets him talk to the boy with a smile.

"What can I do for you, Ty?" Dallon questions softly to the shy boy, facing him on his level.

"J-Josh is sick today. Can you stay w-with me?"

Dallon smiles fondly at the stuttering boy, giving him a gentle pat on the head. "Of course, Tyler. What do you wanna play?"

He turns again to the other teacher with a look, noting permission to keep Tyler company. Patrick smiles in approval, turning back to his lesson plan.

Tyler leads him to the swings. It's odd because the usual place the young boy and his friend always play at is the sand box. Dallon can see Nikki and Bronx playing at the box already. Doesn't he want to play with them?

"I just don't feel like it." Tyler answers as he sits on the swing with his head low.

Dallon hums in thought as he gently pushes the boy's swing. "Is it because Josh is sick?"

"Yes. I wish Josh is okay." The small child mumbles, looking dejected. It's something Dallon doesn't wish for these kids to feel.

He watches the little boy swinging himself, his little feet dangling in the air. Dallon can't help but feel the same way Tyler feels.

There's a cold feeling lingering in his chest at the thought of the distance that would soon be separating him from Brendon.

"I'm leaving for Europe to help Dad with his business." The younger man's voice echoes clearly in his mind. "It might take a while, Dallon. Will you be okay?"

He understands that Brendon has things to do. The younger man can't just be stuck working in a café when he has things out there to see. To see Brendon achieving his goals is something he wanted for him.

That doesn't mean he feels okay with being far away from him.

Dallon snaps out of his thoughts and turns to Tyler. He should be focusing on making the little guy feel better than wallow in his sad thoughts. And he might just have an idea for it.

"We can make a get well card for Josh later if you want? If we make one for him, he'll get better in no time."

The little boy turn to him with a hopeful gleam in his eyes at the suggestion. "Really?"

"Yeah. I can help you make the card and we'll give it to him, okay?"

Tyler nods eagerly, a beaming smile tugging his lips. He's glad that made the younger boy pleased.

"Can we make an o-orgami for Josh too? Josh's brother makes those birds by folding paper."

"Do you mean origami? Like a paper crane?" He's pretty sure that's what Tyler meant.

"That one! Josh likes it when we make one. But he's not very good at it even when his brother teaches him." The child explains.

Dallon chuckles at Tyler's story, clearly imagining a small Josh struggling with his paper crane. "Sure, let's make one too."

Dallon leads him back to the classroom, giving his co-teacher a look in response to the short man's inquiring gaze as they got back to the room and sets up the needed materials for Tyler's request.

Two folds, one fold. Tyler watches earnestly as the child sat on his lap, watching his hands fold the paper delicately into a crane. It's not his best one but Tyler seems to like it. And that's good enough for him.

"What should I w-write for Josh?" Tyler inquires now that the paper crane is done. He now holds a blue crayon in his small hand, but he's still trying to figure out what to write for his dear friend.

"Tell him to get well soon so you can play again." Dallon instructs him gently, watching the gears in the boy's head turning. "You can draw something for him too at the other side of the paper."

Scrawly writing is added into the paper, as Tyler maneuvers his small hand into letters that express his words.

"I-If Josh and I are far away, will I be doing this a-always?" Tyler mumbles as he continues his work. Dallon was surprised by the question.

"Why do you think you and Josh will be far away?"

The boy shrugs, but Dallon could tell the idea of being separated from Josh saddens him. "You write letters when your friends are far away, right?"

Kids are smarter than they see these days, Dallon thought. He clears his throat, looking down at Tyler's half finished artwork. "It's not always like that. You write letters to friends when there are things you want to tell them that you can't say, you know? Like something you can't explain by talking."

He wonders if the answer is easy enough for the young boy to understand. But with Tyler's smile in response to his words, maybe it did.

"I'm glad you didn't leave, Teacher Dallon."

Dallon stares at him, rather bewildered at the words. "You thought I was gonna leave?"

"Teacher Patrick said you might leave 'cuz you're going to school. But you're already in school with us!" Tyler exclaims. Dallon is absolutely touched at the way he pouts just by the thought of him leaving.

"I think I'm too big for this school, don't you think, Ty?"

With his brows furrowed, Tyler turns to look at a small blue chair beside him and stares at it as if the chair offended him. "I guess you can't fit on this chair."

The idea of him sitting on such a small chair made him laugh. Tyler has a reason to be offended, if all for his benefit.

"Well, I'll still be here if it makes you feel better." Dallon says once the laughter in his chest subsides, turning to the small boy with a warm smile.

Tyler gives him his bright, toothy grin. Something that never fails to melt his heart. "It does! And it will make Josh feel a lot better too!"

Dallon finds it hard to imagine waking up not to see the kids again. If Josh, Tyler and the kids don't mind him staying longer then he's okay with that.

And maybe these next days wouldn't be so bad. Sure, he'll miss Brendon with each passing day, but he's not alone. He'll just wait for the day he can hold Brendon's hand with his own.

And with that thought, it makes him feel better too.

*****

"Hey, how's your class?"

Dallon hums, pulling his scarf closer to keep himself warm. Brendon's been away for a meeting with his Dad in Europe. The younger man seems to be planning on making a business for himself, so he's been away for some time. Not that Dallon minds. He's just happy the boy knows what he wants to do with his life now.

With the suggestion of Mrs Truman, he tried taking a scholarship exam so he can study again. He surprisingly passed. And while the Brendon's father offered to pay for his studies, he refused. He would rather work hard for it that rely on someone else. It's something Brendon already knows, anyway.

"I'm studying for Finals with John. It's next week." He says, holding onto the books in his arms tighter just so they won't fall. The said John is walking right beside him sending him a cheeky smile.

He was caught off guard when John suddenly takes the phone from him. "Hey, Bren! How's it goin' for the young entrepreneur?"

Brendon is probably laughing from the other line, and all Dallon could do was roll his eyes at his friend, currently chatting with—

"Your boyfriend is just fine, man." The other brunette says with a smile, nodding as if Brendon could see the gesture. "No, I didn't take his phone. He gave it to me willingly so I could say hi. Because we're good friends." John says this as he gives Dallon a pointed look.

Dallon shook his head affectionately, stifling a smile.

He met John O'Callaghan on his first day of class. 'You look lost.' were the other man's first words to him when he was looking at the message board, hoping to find his classroom. You can't blame him. He hasn't been in school for a long time.

They luckily have the same classes together, so it was easier for him to adjust, rather than being alone. And now the said man is his new roommate at the apartment when Brendon left for Europe.

John's quite the opposite of him. He's rather silly; sort of a dork, outspoken and confident, always looking forward to the things that have yet to happen. And he's definitely charmed a lot of people, despite of what he thinks about himself. It's rather contagious; that mind set of his.

Despite his silly outgoing nature, this guy is a genius and writer at heart. He has his own moments of seriousness; having this deep understanding of how the world should be seen, and how we hold on to people. His poetic mind is something Dallon will admit he will never be on par with.

Though he can say they both get along real great (with Brendon as well), and have been good friends for the majority of his school year. After 2 and a half years since he began and still counting, he can say it's all been good.

"—with the Yankees hitting the home run last week. Told you they were gonna wing it." John says smugly, with their talk suddenly shifting to baseball now.

"Uh, John—" Dallon starts, trying to claim his phone.

"Oh, shit. Sorry. Your boyfriend owes me $20." His friend smiles sheepishly, handling back his phone.

He could hear Brendon huff from the other line. "I do NOT. He was just lucky he got it right."

The said classmate being a baseball player and all, he doubts whatever John says is a lucky guess. "Sorry, Bren. If anyone knows baseball better, it's John."

He thought he heard a gasp. It almost sounds offended. But Brendon has a flare for the dramatic. "I'm breaking up with you." The younger man threatens from the other line.

Dallon raised an eyebrow at his childishness, a smirk tugging his lips. "Oh, really now? Hey, John." He calls his friend's attention a little louder for Brendon to hear. "Brendon wants to break up with me. Wanna go on a date?"

"DALLON JAMES WEEKES, DON'T YOU FUCKING DARE." Brendon shouts loudly over the phone that made him and John laugh.

"You gonna give me that 20 now?" John challenges with a chuckle. He can clearly imagine Brendon being flustered right now. It's obvious who won this argument.

"Alright, asshole. Just don't touch my boyfriend."

"Glad doing business with you, young CEO." He seals the deal, returning the phone into Dallon's hands with a hearty laugh.

"I hate you two. You guys are terrible. He's rubbing off on you, Dal." The younger man grumbles from the receiver. And honestly, he has that certain joy in teasing Brendon a lot.

"John's a good influence, I swear." He supplies with a chuckle at his affronted state. The smile in his lips gradually frown at a realization in knowing that the other man is miles away from him. He hasn't seen the younger man for a year and a half. It just made his heart clench at how much he misses Brendon.

"I love you." Dallon says softly, even if he's aware John could be listening at his cheesy statement. He's not the publicly affectionate sort. But it's something Brendon needs to hear often.

He was kinda worried when it took Brendon almost a minute to respond. "I will never get used to you saying that to me." He admits sheepishly. "Not that I don't like it. It's all too surreal for me. I mean, I had like, this crush on you for a long time and then you just—"

"Brendon." Dallon calls his attention with a fond smile, interrupting him from his rambling. Even if it's adorable.

"—Yeah?"

"Just say it back."

He could hear Brendon clear his throat. And honestly, Brendon should get used to this. He was the one who said it first, anyway.

"I love you too."

"I know."

He could imagine Brendon rolling his eyes at him right now for the response, and he's not guilty for it.

"Alright, Han Solo." Brendon emphasizes with a chuckle. He could hear some papers being shifted around. "I need to go. Meeting starts again at 10. I'll talk to you tonight, yeah?"

"Yeah. Say hi to your Dad for me."

"Sure. You say hi to Mom for me."

They both say their goodbyes before Dallon closes his phone. He sighs, shifting the books in his hands as he continues to walk with John in tow.

"It's hard being home when the people who make you feel at home are too far away." John utters, his gaze looking straight at the pavement they walk in. "I miss my family in Arizona lots of times."

Dallon turns to him curiously. "What do you do when you miss them?"

The other man just shrugs, looking down at his feet. "I just... write. Something I feel like I'm better at. I write things that remind me of them." John looks at him, giving him a reassuring smile. "And it feels like they're not far away at all."

"I think you should make songs. You're great at that." John tells him with confidence. "I know you miss your siblings too. Make something that reminds you of them. Maybe it'll help."

Dallon contemplates about that suggestion. He hasn't written a song in a long time so he's not sure if he can make a good one.

"Don't think too much about it, man." John interrupts his thoughts. "It's just different for everyone, you know? Think about it when Finals is done. Come on, it's getting dark."

He's right. Finals first, then he'll definitely think about it.

Dallon follows the other man, walking back to continue their study session. But as his feet trudge forward against the pavement, with the only thing giving it light is the orange beam of the street light above their heads, he's already making that song, that melody he'll be playing from his head.

****

Brendon watches the continuous flow of water beneath his feet. The water looks rather grayish, just like the gloomy weather of the London streets.

He misses the warm beam of sunlight in the morning back home. Even though it could get terribly hot sometimes, he misses home a lot.

"It won't take long now, would it?" Matty questions as he exhales smoke from a roll of cigarette. "You'll get back home again soon."

His eyes continue to gaze at the river below them, seeing his reflection at the water. He thought about how soon would take. A single day felt like years when he's far away from home. From Dallon. Talking on video or phone isn't enough sometimes.

"Yeah, but homesickness isn't just something you can avoid, you know?"

Matty hums at that. "Point taken. But moping about it won't do good. You should be a bit excited you'll be seeing Dallon again in a month or two."

"That's true." Brendon says with a smile, feeling a bit better at the thought of seeing Dallon again. It's better to agonize for months rather than another few years.

"So, I heard from Dal that you and your Mom are getting along okay." Brendon mentions as he turns to the other man.

Matty just shrugs with that half crooked smile of his. "'Okay' feels like an overstatement, but it's not exactly far off. We still argue lots of times, but Lou acts like a mediator most of the time."

"At least there's progress." Brendon supplies with a smile, patting on Matty's shoulder.

"It's the least a could do for my brother. And I know Dallon would be pissed if I don't try to act civil with my Mum. And she's pretty okay too, when she's not nagging me. So it's not so bad."

That's definitely progress in Brendon's book. That's a scratch off from things Dallon has to worry about now.

"Hey, do me a favor when you get home. Can you give this to Dan?" Matty said, giving him a blank CD inside a jewel case with words written as 'Music Samples'.

"You make music?" Brendon questions, rather bewildered because he definitely had no idea Matty makes songs.

"Remember when I was drunk wasted at music night at the cafe? That was my music. I used to have a band in Uni, before I left and all. Dan and I actually have our own bands, but I just thought I wanted to get back into it." Matty explains as he smiles wistfully, looking down at the CD in Brendon's hands. "Dan encouraged me to do so before I left US. I promised him he's the first person to hear the songs when it's finished."

Brendon couldn't help but feel bad for Matty. All his feelings are probably trapped all in this one CD. Feelings probably meant for Dan but cannot be expressed the way he would like to. If things were different, they would be great together. But if this is what both men chose, then there's nothing else to say.

And so, he holds on to the CD to make sure these words will reach Dan's ears. "Yeah. I'll be sure to give it to him."

"Thanks. Well, I need to go. Take care of Dallon for me when you get back, okay? And say hi to Nana for me."

Brendon gives him a smile, and Matty takes that as an answer. As Brendon watches the older man off, he couldn't help be feel proud for how far their lives have turned out. While some things didn't really go as they all hoped for, they don't regret where they stand now.

There's nothing bad with 'Okay's once on a while.

****

"Can I take your order, sir?"

Dallon blinks at the younger man smiling up at him behind the counter once he arrived Dan's cafe. He's never seen the boy before. Dallon assumes he's a new employee for Dan.

He looks American, but he could hear a slight note of a British accent coming from the blonde cashier. He's wearing a piercing on his nose, and black earrings. It's something he usually thought would make a guy look more intimidating, but the man in front of him clearly breaks that stereotype. The blonde has sparkling eyes and a lovely smile that makes him seem like he's made from sunshine and rainbows.

Dallon's eyes shift to the employee's name tag. The name Patty written neatly, placed on his chest.

"I'm actually looking for Dan? I'm a friend of his."

Patty looks up at him, squinting his eyes as if examining him. He then sees that gleam of realization from the boy's blue eyes. "Ah, you must be Dallon then? Mr. Dan went out for a bit, but he said he won't take long. Would you like a drink while you wait?"

"He seems nice." Dallon thought as he smiles at Patty. Before he could even open his mouth to say his drink, the cashier already took a cup.

"I-I haven't even said my order yet."

"Your order is right here in our board. Black coffee, no sugar, no creamer." Patty says as he points at a cork board behind the counter that he never noticed before. His order is written in blue paper with his name on it. A little doodle of him drawn by bottom right corner of the paper.

There are also notes for other customers like Matty, Spencer and Brendon. It's kind of sweet of Dan to take note of all their favorites.

The blonde instructs him to take a seat and wait for the coffee delivered to him. He's used to being called and taking the coffee with him. Maybe it's a new procedure.

He can see that the cafe hasn't changed. But it is worthy to note that more customers seem to be visiting the establishment. Mostly teenagers and college students. Dan's aesthetic is definitely winning them over.

"Here's your order! Black coffee, no sugar and cream. As well as a complimentary pastry courtesy of Mr. Boss." A lighthearted voice chirps, placing the cup of coffee and a muffin on his table.

Blue hair. Something Dallon doesn't really see often as common hair color around these parts. The blue haired boy must be a new employee like Patty.

Once the boy placed his food, he sends a quizzical stare at him. "That coffee is boring. You don't even look like in your thirties yet. You need more color in your life, mister." The blue haired employee points out bluntly that made him laugh.

"Colorful as your hair?" He teases lightly. Somehow, his bluntness reminds him of Brendon.

"I don't think you'll like blue coffee." The other man grimaces at the thought. But Dallon can slowly see the gears working in his head, his face slowly morphing into a pondering look. "Wait. On second thought, maybe boss could add that to the menu."

Mischievous is something Dallon could associate to this guy. But he likes the weirdness.

"Awsten! Can you clean table four, please?" Patty calls out from the counter, throwing an exasperated look towards their direction. He's doing a good job smiling at the customer and glaring daggers at the blue haired wonder.

"Oops. Don't want Patty to explode. I'm Awsten, by the way. Nice to meet you, Mr. Weekes!"

Awsten dashes off after the quick introduction, cleaning a table as two teenage girls wait to take their spot.

The addition of the two employees just added liveliness to the cafe. He's pretty sure Brendon will like them.

And there he waits, sighing deeply as he places his hand under his chin. He stares out of the window, watching the day unfold on its sense of normalcy. He knew Dan asked him to be in the cafe for something. Not that he minds waiting for the English man. But he doesn't like his thoughts most of the time.

It's been what, almost 2 years? He never really noticed how time has passed due to all the school projects and work at the preschool to keep himself busy.

Keeping himself busy from what, exactly? It's all over the 'X's he left on his calendar. So, this must be what it feelings like to wait for someone. He's pretty sure Brendon must have waited quite long for him then. He feels bad about it now that he realized it.

"I always thought you look handsome with you brooding like that."

A familiar voice reaches his ears. He turns to looks for the source, only to be faced by a figure he yearned to see for months now.

And there he is, all in his brilliant-rather disheveled-glory. The younger boy looked like he ran a mile; his cheeks flushed and sweat rolling down the side of his face. But the smile, that smile. It's still a bright and lovely as ever. Despite Brendon's obvious maturity from their separation, he's happy that some things never change.

"Brendon! W-When did you..."

The boyish grin remain on his lips. He's hiding something. Could he have planned this with Dan?

The younger man just smiles at him softly then takes his hand, placing something small in his palm. Dallon inspects the small item. It's a guitar pick.

"Guitar pick? What's it for?"

"Something to use a guitar pick for, duh. You'll find out later." Brendon explains simply, letting his tongue out as a tease. "Let's eat. I'm starving."

And there, they eat just as if the younger man in front of him didn't just come back from Europe after two years. He even came home earlier than expected. If he was honest, he thought his reunion with Brendon would have been cheesy or something. But he loves this. The feeling that everything is the way he left it as.

It feels normal, and that's better for him than anything else.

Brendon reaches for his hand again, now intertwined with his own. His chocolate rues stare back at him with warm affection. A connection. "I'm home, Dal."

The world doesn't stop for them, and it doesn't need to. Time flows, the movement proceeds, sounds of chatter continue. And they don't mind because for the two of them, it's like a piece of a puzzle has returned to its rightful place, just where it fits.

"Welcome home, Bren.

Just where it belongs.

****

"So, that's how I met your Uncle."

"I can't believe you're quoting How I Met Your Mother to her in that way."

Nikki giggles, now grown a few years older than how Brendon first met her. She's still basically a child but quite mature enough to know a series reference when she hears one.

"You love that show, Dal. Why deny the fact?" Brendon points out, turning his gaze from his work of braiding Nikki's hair to give Dallon a teasing look.

The said receiver of the look return it with exasperation, but a hint of a fond smile. "Fine. You always win."

If you're wondering how things are, well... He's living with Dallon now. Own house and all? Yeah. It took a few months to convince Dallon of his 'proposal' but they agreed that until Dallon can give his share for it, then they will. Because you know how stubborn the taller man is at that when he's offered of something free.

Years later, he's living in a simple home of his own with Dallon. Not too extravagant, not too small. Just right for two people who live with three dogs.

They get some visitors from time to time. His parents, Spencer and Ryan, Dan, sometimes Matty gets to visit too when he's back from London. Dallon's relatives get to visit during holidays or if Nikki has summer vacation. It's nice. A lot better than how he expected his future to go.

If this is the life he'll have to commit from now own, then he never wants to run away.

And by Dallon's side, he knows that's where he'll stay.

****
[A/N: And that's a wrap for The Runaway Groom. Thank you so much for all the support and patience that you've given for this fic. This is something I never expected to exploded. I didn't even think this fic would be a hit for people. I've made friends because of this fic and I am thankful.

I'm kinda sad this fic has ended but better stories will come ahead. I'll probably have some Q&A for the fic because I love answering questions.

Once again, THANK YOU for reading The Runaway Groom and have an amazing day!]

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

16.5K 1.1K 31
" but, i don't love you. hell, love is shitty. i don't want love. i loved her, look where that got me. " COMPLETE ! ©slowwtown 2017
13.7K 670 28
brendon's always crying in his car and obsessing over the stars, and dallon's always holding his hand and kissing his cheeks -this story is triggerin...
4.5K 480 14
"Any heretics God delivers you, bind in withs and bring to the chapel." Josh/Brendon/Tyler/Dallon ***intense depiction of gore and violence. if you a...
159K 7.4K 59
"I swear to god, I will throw my fucking shoe at you if you don't shut up!" Brendon is a curious little hybrid who takes a particular shine to Dallon...