What Lies Beyond || AOT Boys...

By xXBearXx15

×Slow updates× When two, nearly dead teens, are found trying to scale Wall Rose, they are captured and taken... More

Chapter 1: The Beginning
Chapter 2: Lark song
Chapter 3: The Crack in the Wall
Chapter 4: A Strange Finding
Chapter 5: Rogues
Chapter 6: Welcome Home
Chapter 7: New Kids
Chapter 9: Assessments and Sparing
Chapter 10: Friends?
Chapter 11: Unspoken Feelings
Chapter 12: Stars
Chapter 13: Thunder
Chapter 14: Fever Dreams
Chapter 15: Old Memories
Chapter 16: Past Lives
Chapter 17: Nosebleeds and Feelings
Chapter 18: Last Day On Earth
Chapter 19: The 62nd Expedition
Chapter 20: The 62nd Expedition Part Two
Chapter 21: Guts
Chapter 22: Hearts Still Beating
Chapter 23: Home
Chapter 24: Dead Weight
Chapter 25 - A/N

Chapter 8: Knife in the Dark

2.1K 89 74
By xXBearXx15

It was dark. Too dark for your liking. You shifted and groaned as your joints popped and cracked in your hips and lower back.

You stretched, your arms brushing against the dusty shelves above you.

Shelves? Where were you?

You pushed yourself up slowly, an open book sliding off your lap as you stood. Before it could tumble to the ground your quick fingers were able to catch it, saving it from possible damage.

Ah, that's right, you were in the library.

You let out a puff of air and squinted in the dark lighting, trying to see what Armin had left you to read. Giving up trying to read the blurry minuscule words, you shut the book with a snap and tucked it under your arm, planning to read it later with better lighting conditions.

Your eyes narrowed in the darkness, odd shapes and mounds forming in the inky blackness of the library. The candles had long since burned out, hinting that it was later in the night than when you had arrived.

An uneasy feeling settled in the pit of your stomach at the deafening silence. You shifted uncomfortably, frozen to the spot in fear of something snatching you from within the darkness.

To put it simply; you were afraid of the dark.

Ever since you were a little girl, the darkness haunted you. You knew the exact moment you became afraid of the murky tendrils that consumed everything it touched. It was the night he dragged you to the woods after you let one of your own die. The night he beat you until your mind felt like static and your limbs didn't feel like your own. And then he left you. Left you for the shadowy claws to drag you down with them.

With shaking hands you slowly pressed your hand against the dagger, finding comfort from the chilly metal. Pulling the metal from its secure place against your waist, you slipped it beneath your sleeve and took a shaky step forward.

Your heart beat rapidly against your ribcage, planning to make a sprint towards the small glare of candlelight at the entrance of the library.

Holding your breath and closing your eyes, you let your feet carry you with the nails of dread digging into skin.

Practically sobbing with relief, you gripped the side of the wall, your knuckles turning a pale white. You heart still beat rapidly inside your chest, blood rushing through your veins. You swore if anyone was around they could've heard the drum-like sound.

Soon, the rapid beating of your heart slowly decreased and you let your death grip on the wall loosen. You inhaled deeply and ran your index finger against the sharp metal, the coolness taming your frayed nerves.

Like your worst fears had come true, a heavy hand was placed on your tense shoulder.

Instinct took over, the hilt of the blade slipping from your sleeve and into your hand as you whipped around, faster than the blink of an eye.

The sharp edge of the blade was pressed against the pale exposed skin of your assaulter, his wide teal-green orbs filled with surprise and terror.

Your own owlish (e/c) orbs glared at the boy, an animal-like ferocity present in your stare. The brunette boy squeaked in fear when you increased the pressure, a bead of blood dripped down his neck.

Like you awoke from some kind of dream from seeing the crimson liquid, you backed away hastily. The teal eyed boy gasped and rubbed his newly acquired injury.

"Holy fuck." He hissed, his eyes nervously flicking from your face to your knife that you still held. "Horse Face said you were crazy, but fuck!"

You flinched at his choice of words.

"Y-you scared me." You breathed, your heart once again pounding inside your chest cavity.

His heavy breathing echoed through the empty dark hallways, your form a little wary of the boy.

You weren't crazy...Right?

The boy glanced up at your silence and softened his gaze at the panic present in your (e/c) eyes. You looked like a cornered animal.

"Hey," he spoke softly, raising his hands up and taking a careful step forward. "Im sorry I scared you."

Your back hit the stone wall when you took a step back. You recognized the brunette boy from earlier today, he was Armin's friend. You shakily lowered the knife and slipped it back into it's sheath.

"Im Eren." He hummed, holding out his hand after the weapon was hidden from view.

You scrunched up your eyebrows in slight confusion. What is he doing?

"You're supposed to shake it." He said, eyes glancing at his outstretched hand.

"Why?" You whispered.

"I don't know, you just do it when you meet someone.." He sighed. "L-look, I'll show you."

Before you could protest he snatched your limp one hanging at your side and held it firmly, the warmth of his hand warming your own chilly one. You held your breath as Eren gave your hand a light shake, a warm blush spread across your face, thankfully hidden by the dim lighting.

"See?" He said, a crooked smile forming on his face. "It's easy."

You snorted and snatched you hand away, slightly embarrassed.

Eren smiled and glanced behind you into the yawning darkness of the library.

"Why are you here so late?"

You shrugged and rubbed your arm. "I fell asleep. I was with Armin, but I think he forgot I was there."

"Oh," Eren mumbled, his tone somehow sounded disappointed. "Well, since we're both up late and Im guessing you haven't mapped this place out yet..uh..do you want me to walk you someplace?"

Surprised at his offer, despite you nearly killing the boy, you were about to refuse. Yet, one glance behind you quickly changed your mind. Like hell you were going to walk alone in the dark.

"Ok." You agreed softly, not that pumped on having someone help you.

"Sweet." The brunette chuckled giving you a crooked grin. "Where to?"

"Uhm, Erwin's room." You sighed, catching the questioning stare of the teal eyed boy. "It's temporary.."

The taller boy let out a "hm" and nodded. "Alright. Let's go then!"

He spun on his heel and you followed, catching a whiff of the woodsy smell of cardamom as he walked. It reminded you of home.

You hurried after him and paced yourself with his longer stride, sometimes his eyes catching the candlelight that made the teal sparkle like tide pools in the late afternoon.

"Eren." You called, breaking the quiet. "Why are you up so late?"

He chuckled and shrugged. "I couldn't sleep."

You nodded and continued the walk in silence, the boy abruptly stopping in front of the Commanders door.

"I didn't get your name." He said suddenly, tilting his head slightly. Eren's eyes glittered with questions.

"(F/n)." You mumbled, brushing back a stray hair behind your ear.

"Goodnight, (F/n)." He smiled. "I hope I'll see you again."

With that he spun on his heel once again and disappeared down the dark hallway.

"Goodnight Eren." You whispered to the dark hallway where the brunette had just stood.

A half smile graced your lips at the thought of his kindness. You rolled your eyes at yourself and quietly opened Erwin's door and slipped in.

Unbeknownst to you, a certain brunette was blushing scarlet down the hall. His thoughts of you consuming him. The way you had said his name so perfectly and the memory of how soft your hand was, made him turn an even darker shade of red. Albeit, they were a bit cold, yet so inviting at the same time. Eren wished he held on longer. He shook his head and tried to clear his thoughts.

He had to see you again.
*************************************
The next morning you were woken by a very hungry, very impatient raven haired boy named Thomas.

Rubbing the sleep from your eyes, you yawned and regretfully slipped from the makeshift bed Erwin had given you on his couch. The effects of your midnight adventure last night caught up with you fast.

"Thomas," you groaned. "Shut up. Im trying to get my boots on, which is difficult because of your constant yelling in my goddamn ear."

The boy rolled his eyes and crossed his arms. He huffed and stood impatiently by the door like a spoiled child.

"You know, for being nearly 19 years old, you still have the impressive skill of acting like a baby." You griped at your friend who gave you a glare in return.

"At least Im not as tall as one." He bit back, narrowing his eyes at you.

You gave him an icy stare and clenched your fists. You would have punched the raven haired boy if a particular freckled haired doctor hadn't thrown open the door with Erwin in tow.

"Tommy!" She cried happily, rushing over and pinching his cheeks.

You raised an eyebrow and scoffed. Tommy? Really?

The doctor didn't hear your noise of disapproval, too invested in Thomas's well being and continued to fawn over him.

The Commander nodded in hello and drifted closer to you, his large hands holding two porcelain tea cups.

"Do you like tea, (F/n)?" Erwin asked, handing you the steaming cup.

You shrugged, "We had pine nettle and juniper berry tea. But it was awful."

Erwin snorted in amusement and leaned against his desk. "Perhaps you'll like this better. I brewed it this morning."

You took a tentative sip, the hot liquid warming your hands. It wasn't half bad. It was bitter but held some sweetness in it. Much better than what you had tried to make various times with Thomas. You both came away with burn marks after each attempt and somehow managed to convince Lark to join your mischief. You were happy then, when everyone was alive and perfect.

You frowned slightly and set the tea down on the polished wood of his desk, your ears picking up the constant babbling of Cinna that you tuned out awhile ago. You've barely met this woman and you already held a small grudge against her.

"I take it you don't like it?" Erwin hummed, amused at your sour expression.

Your eyebrows furrowed together slightly but then you shook your head. "No, no, it was fine, Erwin. I just thought of something."

He nodded in understatement and didn't press further.

"Doctor Ramirez," Erwin coughed, vying for the woman's attention.

He had to call her name once more before her vivid green eyes snapped away from Thomas's blushing face.

You gave him a questioning glare.

"I think the boy has had enough attention for now, Doctor." Erwin said, giving Cinna a knowing look.

She laughed and shook her head, "Sorry Sir."

Erwin let out a small hum and caught your eyes, his own orbs sparkling with hidden excitement. "(F/n). I believe it's time for some assements."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

828K 23.4K 18
Beyond the walls there was a girl(you),she didn't bother to go in there thinking that the people in there are all to scared to come and face to face...
1.1K 29 20
You and Eren meet when you are just kids and you both get along very well. But then, disaster strikes, leaving you, Eren, Mikasa, Armin, and everyone...
872K 19.8K 42
COVER ART CREDS; redwarrior3 on tumblr :) In modern Paradis, you've joined the survey corps three months ago, and thought you've met everyone, until...
558K 13K 33
Year 845, the year Wall Maria met its doom. The residents within Wall Maria stared at the wall. A head was now visible...it was a titan... 'A titan...