My Ruthless Stepbrother (Comp...

By honey_hearts

Zack Lamont was the little secret inside Irryn's young heart ... How could Irryn get the attention of this st... More

PROLOGUE
CHAPTER 1
CHAPTER 2
CHAPTER 3
CHAPTER 4
CHAPTER 5
CHAPTER 6
CHAPTER 7
CHAPTER 8
CHAPTER 9
CHAPTER 10
CHAPTER 11
CHAPTER 12
CHAPTER 13
CHAPTER 14
CHAPTER 15
CHAPTER 17
CHAPTER 18
CHAPTER 19
CHAPTER 20
CHAPTER 21
CHAPTER 22
CHAPTER 23
CHAPTER 24
CHAPTER 25
CHAPTER 26
CHAPTER 27
CHAPTER 28
CHAPTER 29
CHAPTER 30
CHAPTER 31
CHAPTER 32
CHAPTER 33
CHAPTER 34
CHAPTER 35
CHAPTER 36
CHAPTER 37
CHAPTER 38
CHAPTER 39
CHAPTER 40
CHAPTER 41
CHAPTER 42
CHAPTER 43
CHAPTER 44
CHAPTER 45
CHAPTER 46
CHAPTER 47
CHAPTER 48
CHAPTER 49
CHAPTER 50
EPILOGUE

CHAPTER 16

3.5K 97 2
By honey_hearts

SIXTEEN: "It's really you!" ✍️

"D*MN my big bro! Zackarius is such a rude af!" Rhian cursed at her brother the next morning we got to be inside the L-Fitness Gym.

We are currently on stationary bicycles.

"Rhian, why do you curse your brother?" I sensitively but concerned, asked her.

"For almost a year, Behnam was one of the gym's coaches, but my ruthless brother Zack fired him today, treating him like trash."

I was shocked. What? Why? Why would Zack fire coach Behnam?

I couldn't say another word. He was such a heartless and cold person!

When Rhian got tired, we got out of the gym and walked around to get back on our way home.

While walking on the street, we suddenly bumped into someone I knew.

He is also wearing sporty attire which makes me think he is jogging, like us.

He didn't seem to notice me because he was busy chatting on his phone.

"Durand?" I was hesitant but still managed to call his attention.

When he first laid eyes on me, he gasped in surprise, but then he smiled widely and exclaimed, "Irryn!"

I smiled too. "Durand, it's really you!"

We walked closer to each other. Rhian was behind me and following me.

"Hi, Ryn! How are you?"

"I'm all fine. I didn't expect to see you here in Koronadal. How are you, too?"

"Just got to visit a relative. Before coming here, I had actually visited Caloocan, Poblacion. I anticipate staying for a week, but that is not a certainty. I, too, am doing well. What about you? Just what brings you to the Jawara Subdivision, anyway?"

"Because my stepfamily lives here, my mother and I have begun to reside here as well." I had a flash of memory and decided to introduce my stepsister to Durand. "Anyway, this is my stepsister—Rhian."

With glee and friendliness in her eyes, Rhian reached out to shake his hand. "Hi."

Durand's expression of amazement and wonder changed as he looked at my stepsister.

"So, you're a sister of Zack?" he asked coldly.

My mind flashed back to the time on the beach when Zack, Durand, and Yves were all tense with one another. In an instant, I, too, began to worry about Rhian.

When Durand stares at her, it's as if she were her ruthless brother. His gaze is cold and calculating.

Rhian just nodded, unpuzzled. "Yes. You know my big bro?"

"I know him. I also know how cruel he treats his stepsister." Durand stated dully.

Rhian is suddenly displeased with her current level of comfort. As far, he has not accepted her hanging hand.

As she bowed her head and slowly lowered her hand, he took it.

I could sense the tension between them as they shook hands; and Durand, without taking his eyes off my stepsister, looked sullen and angry.

It was only a whisper, but I overheard Durand say, "I didn't know that the full-of-himself Zack has, actually, a silly little sister."

Rhian didn't. "Pardon?"

"Nothing." He released his hand from Rhian.

He turned to me and smiled genuinely. "I am actually looking for a nearby fitness gym that I can go to for a week to maintain my fitness while I'm staying here. Mind to recommend me any?"

To be honest, I only know of one fitness gym nearby because, like him, I am new to this town. That's Zack's L-Fitness Gym, which he owns and manages. I can't recommend that gym to Durand since Zack would despise it, right?

"Uhm—"

"I know one!" the innocent Rhian volunteered excitedly. "I know a fitness gym nearby and just within Jawara Subdivision."

Durand became frigid once more when he heard my sister. It seemed as though he didn't believe her or trust her words.

"We'll walk you there for you to see it. Let's go," Rhian continued.

"Rhian—" I tried to stop her.

"What, sis Irryn? It will be fine, he will like it there for sure. Let's go, Durand. Follow us."

Though we were both hesitant and unsure, we still followed Rhian on the way to L-Fitness Gym.

Durand believed Rhian the moment we entered the place. He was especially caught off guard when he saw the interiors.

I couldn't help but feel uneasy as we ascended the stairs to the second floor, where Zack's office could be located.

Rhian is unaware that she is preying on Durand's predator adversary.

"For a while, Durand..." I held his arm to make him stop for a second.

Both Rhian and Durand turned to look at me.

"Ryn?"

"Is there anything wrong, sis Irryn?"

Nothing came out of my mouth. How could I tell Durand that this one is actually run by Zack? Furthermore, how could I explain to Rhian that her brother and Durand aren't even friends?

Instead of telling her, I just shook my head. We continued walking.

When we got to the second floor, I could see Zack's glass-walled office. Perhaps he didn't notice us since his office was soundproof and he was too preoccupied with the materials he was reading on his table.

Even though my heart was pounding, I couldn't refrain from smiling while watching Zack.

He's still in college, but based on how he works at his office, he appears to be serious and knows very well everything he does.

Rhian opened the glass door, and her brother's gaze shifted to us as soon as she did.

He looked at his sister.

Rhian turned to Durand and me. "Come here. Let's get inside."

Zack's brow furrowed when he noticed Durand, and his eyes darkened again when those darted at me. Durand, on the other hand, was astounded to find my stepbrother, who had turned out to be his enemy a month before, on that beach.

Rhian assisted us both, while Zack returned to his documents, and seemed unconcerned.

"What do you want?" he asked plainly.

"I've got a new L-Fitness Gym trainee, big bro Zacky. Durand," Rhian gladly presented Durand to her brother.

She still doesn't appear to realize what's going on.

"Who? This guy?" Zack pointed to my friend.

"Yeah. He's Durand. Sis Irryn's friend."

Zack's steely and harsh eyes snapped onto me when Rhian mentioned my name. He constantly gave me that scary and menacing stare.

"Actually, he will enroll in a fitness session here just for a week, since he will stay in the city just for one week. He is looking for nearby gyms to do his fitness routines, so I remembered to recommend ours," Rhian explained.

"This is your owned-fitness gym?" Durand asked Rhian.

She nodded joyfully. "Yes, and my big bro is the manager and heir who will inherit this family business of ours."

Durand's jaw clenched with that. "Why didn't you tell me right away that you actually own this gym and your brother runs it?"

Rhian looked puzzled. "Why? Is there any problem if I recommend you to a gym that my family owns?"

"Why don't you ask your brother then."

Rhian gave Zack a questioning and almost an interrogating look. "Bro?"

Zack grinned with insult. "His hesitation in enrolling here is due to his uncertainty as to whether or not I would approve his enrollment."

Rhian got to be more confused. "Why not—"

"If not then be it. It wouldn't bother me that much. I'll be leaving now. Bye." Durand said with finality and then immediately marched outside the office.

"Durand, what? Wait–-" Rhian was about to ask more, but she was cut with her words when Durand got out of the door.

She glared at her brother. "What seriously is happening? Why wouldn't you accept his enrollment here? What's wrong with you, big bro?!"

Zack shrugged his shoulders dismissively, clearly unconcerned by his sister's accusatory tone.

Rhian, who got disappointed, shook her head in disbelief with her big bro.

"I can't believe you. Aside from being harsh, you're also incredibly rude. The guy was ready to enroll in a fitness class, but you turned him down. You've got a huge attitude, bro!"

"Rhian—" I was about to comfort and calm her down, but I was not able to do so when she started marching outside to walk out from her brother.

Now that Zack and I are alone, I must leave. I was staring at him. There was a moment when he watched me intently.

He looked at me with the same stern, brooding expression as before, but this time his lips were slightly raised.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

38.2K 1.4K 36
Bucky hasn't been able to make many of his own choices. Now he has to make the ultimate choice. The woman who saved him or the man who captured his h...
368K 9.8K 38
Warning: Contains swearing, mature language. Not suitable for young readers. Excerpt: "I told you to stay away, instead, you kept chasing me...
306K 8.8K 40
What happens when a desolate heiress meets a cheerful and handsome working student? Will they conquer the odds of being together or will they let the...
3.3M 206K 90
What will happen when an innocent girl gets trapped in the clutches of a devil mafia? This is the story of Rishabh and Anokhi. Anokhi's life is as...