Early Bird | ✓

By vividaydreamer

The early bird gets the worm. Or, in Lizzy's case, a text. More

before
part one
01 | robin
02 | sparrow
03 | raven
04 | blue jay
05 | cardinal
06 | eagle
07 | crow
08 | goldfinch
09 | seagull
10 | dove
11 | parrot
12 | crane
13 | hummingbird
14 | penguin
15 | owl
16 | heron
17 | pigeon
18 | ostrich
19 | stork
20 | swallow
21 | mockingbird
22 | woodpecker
23 | goose
24 | duck
25 | falcon
26 | blackbird
28 | hawk
29 | quail
30 | puffin
31 | pelican
32 | loon
part two
33 | ibis
34 | swan
35 | finch
36 | vulture
37 | warbler
38 | wren
39 | swift
40 | parakeet
41 | egret
42 | pheasant
43 | partridge
44 | flamingo
45 | emu
part three
46 | cuckoo
47 | toucan
48 | peacock
49 | spoonbill
50 | kiwi

27 | chickadee

239 26 22
By vividaydreamer

Lizzy | JJ

           "IT'S time to wake up, Liz," her mother whispered quietly, gently shaking her daughter's shoulder. Lizzy moaned and griped, her eyes squeezed shut, as she tried to disappear between her covers like she was submerging in quicksand. Her mother sat patiently, which was rather unusual for her, her hand tenderly grazing Lizzy's shoulder. "I'm sorry, baby. Normally I wouldn't get you up this early on a Saturday, but you have to take the ACT today."

           "Don't remind me," Lizzy mumbled almost incoherently, her mouth obscured by her fuzzy turquoise blanket.

           "You'll do great, sweetie. And even if your score isn't fabulous, your father and I will love you anyways."

           "That's reassuring," Lizzy muttered sarcastically, forcing herself to sit up. She yawned and stretched, reaching hopelessly for the heavens—or, in today's case, for amazing ACT scores.

           Lizzy's mother ignored her daughter's sarcastic comment; instead, she stood up and wandered to Lizzy's closet, examining the clothes inside. "You'll probably want to wear something comfortable."

           "Mom, I think I can figure out what I'm going to wear. I haven't needed help in that area for years," Lizzy responded, following her mother's actions until they stood side-by-side, staring at the closet that overflowed with unique skirts and shorts of various lengths, warm coats and colorful scarves.

           "I know, I know, I'm just trying to be as helpful as I can. By being not helpful at all. I think I'll just leave now." Lizzy's mother stared at her daughter's face that was tinted paler than normal. "Are you sure you're alright, dear?"

           "Yeah, Mom, I'm fine," Lizzy replied with a shaky grin, nerves quivering her insides like she was lounging in a massage chair. After giving Lizzy a somewhat comforting pat on the shoulder, her mother left her to mentally and physically prepare for the difficult test that lay before her.

           "Alright, everyone, pencils down please," the test overseer's voice boomed throughout the class as he slowly slinked between desks to retrieve each student's test. Lizzy handed over her answer sheet and booklet, grateful that it was finished. Besides, it had been easier than she had first thought, answers swiftly popping into her head like popcorn. She collected her pencils and calculator before exiting the college building, the cool spring breeze brightening her spirit as she slowly recovered from the intense test she just took.

           She climbed into the car, inserting her key to turn the car on. Once she adjusted the volume of the radio until it blasted her ears, Lizzy checked her phone, scrolling through the messages she'd missed when she was taking her test.

           Teagan: Wanna go spring formal shopping with me tomorrow after you finish working?

           Sounds like a plan! I honestly forgot that was going on because of how busy I've been.

           Teagan: Well then, it's a good thing I'm the greatest best friend in the world.

           What did you do.

           Teagan: You don't sound so enthusiastic.

          T, I'm texting you. Therefore, you can't hear me.

           Teagan: I can just tell. It's a fifth sense.

           Okay but seriously. What did you do?

           Teagan: I've got the spring formal all figured out. It's going to be me and Reece, Mateo and Paisley, and you and whoever you want to invite.

            When did you find time to plan all this?

           Teagan: Yesterday after school. You would've been a part of it all but you bolted because you were nervous about the ACT and wanted to get some last minute studying in.

           Teagan: BTW, how did it go?

           Really well. I was surprised.

           Teagan: I'm proud of you, Liz. All grown up.

           Oh shut up.

           Honestly surprised Mateo said yes to that plan. Since you two aren't exactly on super friendly terms at the moment.

           Teagan: He was actually really excited. I think it's because I actually talked to him. I've been avoiding him for a while lol. This fits perfectly with my plan tho. Maybe now I'll finally see where this wishy-washy boy stands with me.

           Oh god. Why do I have a feeling that this spring formal is going to go just as bad as the party?

            Teagan: Trust me, Liz. Nothing can ever go as bad as that party.

           I guess you're right.

           But yeah, I'll pick you up tomorrow afternoon.

           Teagan: See you then :) who do you think you're going to take?

           I'm not really feeling the whole "date" thing this year. Maybe I'll ask Reece if he has any nice friends (that way I'm not a fifth wheel lmao).

           OMG I TOTALLY FORGOT. How did your date with Reece go?????? Er, fake date or whatever the hell you're calling it.

           Teagan: It went really well. I almost feel bad about lying to him and using him because he's extremely nice and awkward and adorable. Almost. Yikes, being in love with Mateo makes me evil, holy crap.

           OH, T! You've been evil long before that.

           Teagan: I guess you're right. Hopefully everything will go as planned at the spring formal so that I can break up with him as painlessly as possible. He can't be super sad if we've only been dating for a few weeks by then right?

           Remember, this is precious Reece we're talking about.

           Teagan: Sigh. This is harder than I thought.

           Hey, the devil does have a heart, how nice :)

           In all seriousness, this is what you chose. Just sayin.

           Teagan: I know, I know. I'll let you be now to go home and get some food cuz I'm sure that test drained you.

            It did. Imma get myself some chicken. Bye, T.

            Lizzy's heart fell and shattered into a million pieces when she saw that JJ hadn't replied to her "good morning" text that she sent before her ACT test. "He's probably just sleeping in," Lizzy voiced aloud to reassure herself, sliding her phone into her pocket before setting her car in gear and rolling out of the college's parking lot. After all, he was an early bird and was probably exhausted from waking up before the sun peeked its head and rose in the horizon, its curious rays caressing every inch of the world below in its soft, amiable light.

           Lizzy hid these thoughts deep in the files of her mind, focusing instead on her driving, her eyes occasionally drawn to a billboard proclaiming missing twin sisters from somewhere in the United States, chickadees swooping from branch to branch, strip malls crawling with shoppers, and leftover piles of snow melting and disappearing underneath the blades of brown and green grass.

           After Lizzy munched on some delicious chicken nuggets that calmed her growling stomach, she crawled into bed, utterly exhausted and in need of some rest. Her eyelids fluttered shut and she buried herself underneath her cozy covers, an isolated, dark cave that appealed to her tired senses. Unfortunately, she was forced to leave her soothing cave by a buzz from her phone that seemed to resound in her ears like some bird's shrill screech.

           "What the—" she exclaimed aloud, smashing her pillow against her ear to drown out the noise. Without moving an inch of the rest of her body, a single hand reached for her phone, groping blindly for it on the nightstand. When she finally felt its cool surface grasped in her fingertips, she brought it to her face, the front camera accidently popping up. Lizzy flinched at the harsh scowl on her face, her hair as messy as a bird's nest, her eyes glazed with sleep. She glanced over at the clock and gasped when she saw that it was suppertime. She had slept the afternoon away, holed up in her bedroom like a hermit.

           Then, she turned her attention to her cell phone, JJ's name flashing across the screen as another incoming text arrived. "What the hell?" Lizzy muttered to herself before viewing his messages.

           Lizzzzzzyyy

          Hyeyyy

           I neeead to ttalk to u.

           Nowwwweererere

           What is going on?

           Their youu are

           Are you drunk or something?

           poSsibiily

           Oh my god, you're such an idiot.

           Youuve told meethat alreadyyouknwo

           Well I said it because it's true.

           Text me later, you bum, after this alcohol is out of you mister.

           Godyjkd, youure so beautiful and fufukc I want tyou

           Iy eneed me inhyou

           Ew, this is disgusting. Your drunk self needs to chill wtf. I don't want to hear about your sexual fantasies.

           Sendd me somethinkng please

           You better not be asking for nudes mister cuz if you are I will legitimately fight you.

           I neneneed to hurttr youyuo

           Okay you're creeping me out. Text me when you're not drunk. I need you to explain yourself when you're sober.

           Lizzy immediately turned her phone off, shaken by the drunk texts JJ sent her. They weren't like him at all—which made sense considering all the other times he'd texted her he'd been completely sober. Lizzy trembled in her blanket, her once alleviating cave now suffocating her. Breathless, she tossed the layers of cloth off her boiling body, reaching desperately for her window for a gulp of fresh air. She needed to clear her mind and relax. Her once sleepy brain was racing a mile a minute, a shutdown computer becoming alive again.

           After she lifted her blinds until they clumped together at the top of her window, she rested her warm fingers on the window sill, instantly cooling them and grounding her to reality. She'd talk to JJ in the morning and sort out what exactly had just happened. It had to have been a mistake; it wasn't like him at all. It wasn't the JJ she thought she knew.

           A strange noise bolted Lizzy out of her thoughts, her heartbeat escalating, her cheeks flushed. Her eyes glimmering with fright searched through the darkness for the source of the sound, her body quaking uncontrollably. A chilling breeze brushed her face like dead, frozen fingers, almost mocking her although Lizzy wasn't sure why.

           She finally spotted the source of the din: an owl, perched in a pine tree and bathed in the shadows of its branches. The dying sun's rays reflected off its eyes as it stared at Lizzy, motionless and occasionally warbling a sound that planted itself in Lizzy's head. Haunting her. She stared unflinchingly back, determination coursing through her veins, daring the bird to make the next move.

           It seemed to tilt its head curiously at her or maybe that was just Lizzy's imagination. Whatever it was, the bird unnerved her and she moved away from the window, heading downstairs to dwell in the comfort of her family.

           The owl continued to gaze at her window, its memorable hoot echoing through the chilly evening air.

 ❁
A/N:
I'm back from my mission trip in West Virginia!  I had tons of fun--like I can't even describe to you how much fun I had.  I made so many new friends and a strengthened my old friendships.  I served God and I served by playing with kids in VBS and helping fix an old lady's house.  It was just an awesome week and I completely recommend mission trips for anyone who wants to get out into the world to help other people.  It was SO worth it.

Again, please vote and comment if you liked this chapter!  We're ALMOST getting to part 2 of the novel.  Another chapter won't be coming your way until about 8 days from now because I'm going to be on vacation to a place where I won't have any Internet (but I will be writing!!!).  Have an awesome day and thank you so much for reading!

- Payton

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

704K 23K 31
GirlxGirl Don't let love fool you. Sometimes it's worth the risk.
1.1K 3 33
entries that probably shouldn't be shared on the internet but here they are.
49.6K 926 23
Peter Parker accidentally texts the wrong number, which happened to be one of the most powerful avenger and person on the planet. What could go wrong...
Junior Year By Jess

Teen Fiction

389 27 17
Love, Friendships, and high school. These things should be easy. Find a boy and fall in love. Meet some friends and they will be with you until the e...