The Only Promise

By _rareleo

Kadence Rae Emerson has always been the popular girl at school getting asked out by guys. She doesn't find he... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28

Chapter 12

21.2K 467 68
By _rareleo

NOTE:---------> That is the biology room, except minus the desks in the background, and the teachers desk is placed in front of the front rows with three tables.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“If none of you all want to answer this question it’s okay, but raise your hand if you are a religious person; you have some kind of religion you believe in.” Mr. Harmon, my biology teacher, rises from his seat and walks to the front of his desk sitting against the edge of it and crosses his arms.

            I and the majority of the class raise their hands in the air while others look around at us.

            “Okay, put your hands down-“

            We all do what he says and put our hands down.

            “Now, how many of you remember learning about Evolution in maybe 7th or 6th grade?”

            Almost everyone raises their hands up in the air, and after Mr. Harmon gets a good look at all of the people who raised their hands we set our hands back own. I look at Aiden sitting a couple of seats in front of me in the next row beside of some girl that never talks. I roll my eyes at the fact that she’s chewing on the end of her pen where the cap is. I don’t think I wanna know what that girl is thinking about.

            “And one last question: How many of you all think its okay to teach Evolution in schools?”

            I raise my hand and a few others do, but it’s less than the people that raised their hand up to the question if they were religious. Mr. Harmon looks at me since I was the first one to raise my hand. He leans off of his desk and stands in front of the first row that has three tables.

            “Why do you think its okay to teach Evolution in school, Miss Emerson?” He asks staring directly at me. The whole class turns their attention to me and I clear my throat getting ready to speak.

            “Oh man, Mr. Harmon. Put me on the spot why don’t you.” I smile joking around. The rest of the class adds a light laughter to the silenced room.

            “Well, scientifically, it has been said that we evolved from monkeys. Everyone’s religion is different in this classroom, but just like there are many, many religions in the world, why not have another belief such as evolving from monkeys? For example,-“ I put my hand out next to Hannah’s boyfriend Tanner who is sitting beside me. “Tanner’s religion is Christianity and mine is Catholicism-“ I say pointing back to myself. I set my hand town and continue. “Evolution is the diversity of life and it makes up biology, so it should be taught.” I finish my reason of why I think evolution should be taught in schools.

            Mr. Harmon nods his head slowly. “That was a very good point, Kadence. Thank you for sharing that information with us. Alright class, pull out your notebook, we’re going to take notes on Evolution.”

            “I have a smart girlfriend.” Aiden randomly says while I get my books out of my locker for my next class. I smile as I shake my head. I shut my locker and walk with her to our math class Calculus.

            “You’re just saying that.” I nudge at her arm making her stumble to the side a bit. She looks back and says “sorry” to someone. I giggle.

            “I am not.”

            I walk up the stairs with her and try to look back at her so I can talk to her properly, but the thing I was afraid of happens; I accidently trip up the stairs. I bite my lip as soon as I hit my bad knee. I feel my face turn burning red and I quickly gather myself up. I walk up the stairs quickly holding my books close to my chest.

            “Are you okay, Kadence?” Aiden asks catching up with me. I take a deep breath trying to calm down my red face.

            “I hit my bad knee pretty bad.” I say and notice I’m limping. “I’m sure I’ll be able to play tonight at the game.”

            “Are you sure?” She questions my answer concerned.

            “Yes.” I enter the Calculus classroom before she does and I sit down in my seat. I feel a relief knowing that I won’t be walking for a bit. I put both of my elbows on my desk and lean forward putting my hands on each side of my hand. I rewind the scene of when I just fell up the stairs. I can’t believe that happened. I embarrassed myself in front of people coming up the stairs and going down it. I close my eyes, but quickly re-open them when a sharp pain shoots up my knee. I hold onto it and bite my lip hard. ‘Oh let this day go by quickly, please.’ I think to myself.

            The coach presses her thumbs on my knee while she’s crouched down in front of me as I sit on the bench in the gym. I squint my eyes a little and bite my lip. “It hurts?” She asks looking up at me.

            I nod my head slowly. “I’ll wear my knee brace like always. It’ll be okay.”

            “Are you sure? I can sit you out in the first few minutes of the game.” She says letting go of my knee and she stands up.

            “Its fine, I got this.”

            She takes a deep breath unsure she should actually let me play, but I’ve always been the type to get back into the game if I got injured. She backs away and claps her hands together. Everyone turns their attention to the coach, and I put my knee brace on looking at the coach.

            “Let’s go out there and play our best, okay lady hawks?” She smiles and puts her hand out. “Let’s go, on 3.”

            I stand up with everyone else and stack my hand on top of someone’s.

            “1…2…3…”

            “Lady Hawks!”

            The crowd begins to cheer as the 5 starting players go out onto the court and get in our positions. I stand in the circle with a girl standing in front of me. The referee walks to the circle and tells us which way our teams are going. He blows his whistle and throws the ball up in the middle. I jump up as high as I can, and I smack the ball to one of my teammates. I land hard on my bad knee and grit my teeth. That really hurt. I decide to shake it off and run down court helping out my teammates. Lauren shoots the basketball in the hoop near the foul line, and we take off running to the other side. I walk back and forth watching the other team down the court where we scored waiting for their point-guard to receive the ball.

            “Set 2!” The point-guard yells as she approaches the half-court line. She comes my way ready to run so I run up to her and I guard her moving with her every step. She sticks her butt out and I watch where the ball is hoping to steal it from her. She turns to the side and tries to quickly pass it to a girl, but I step in between the two and run down the court dribbling the ball. I do a quick layup and turn around to see it go in. I smile and run back down the court listening to the roar of the crowd.

            The buzzer goes off informing us that it’s half-time, which it’s about time, because my knee is bothering me at the moment. We all sit down on the bench drinking water or just resting.

            “We’re down by 4, ladies but it’s okay. We haven’t lost a game this season and we’re not going to, right?” The coach sits down on the bench with us.

            “Right.” We all say.

            I put my leg out placing the heel of my shoe on the ground in front of me and I take my knee brace off. I stare at my red knee and I rub it slowly. “Are you thirsty?” I look to the side a bit at Aiden holding a water bottle. I smile and she sits down next to me. “Very.” I reply. She hands me the bottle and I squeeze on it making the water squirt into my mouth. I set it down on the other side of me and look at my knee again.

            “Is it still hurting?” She asks.

            “A little.” I say half-truthfully.

            She gives me a look and raises her eyebrow. “Let the coach set you out for a bit so your knee can rest.”

            “Aiden, I’m fine.”

            She stays silent and decides not to argue with me about my knee. I put my knee brace back on and take another drink of the water.

*BUZZER*

            “Good luck out there ladies.” The coach claps and we run out there. We start playing the game and instead of our crowd cheering loud it’s the other side since the other team is up by 4.

            “Kadence, watch her!” Aiden yells to me as the point-guard runs towards me. This point-guard has grown to dis-like me, because I keep stealing the ball from her. She’s never liked me in any of the sports we’ve played against each other in really. I run up near her and she runs into me knocking me down and goes on scoring 2 points. I land on my hands and butt. The crowd from our side boo’s the girl for doing that. I look at the referee who doesn’t call it a foul. I hear my coach from the other side screaming along with the crowd to call it a foul. A girl from the other team stands in front of me and puts her hand out. I grab it and stand up. “Thank you.”

            “Are you alright?” She asks and let’s go of my hand.

            “Yeah, your point-guard never liked me anyways.” I smile and take a deep breath in disappointment that the referee didn’t call that a foul. That ball should’ve been turned over to us. Sometimes I don’t like referees.

            I jog to the other side and our point-guard gives a play that we should do. I get in my position and find myself to be open. I wave my hands in the air. “I’m open!” I yell. The point-guard looks at me, and passes me the ball. I turn around and shoot the ball up making a hoop. The crowd cheers and I run to the other side.

            I watch the point-guard closely and she stares me down. “Get open, ladies!” She yells. I stand away from her. I have a trick up my sleeve. I start running as fast as I can when she gets ready to pass the ball to a girl. I jump out in front of it catching the ball. I hear her complaining and running behind me as I run down court. ‘See ya later.’ I think to myself. I look at the basketball hoop and prepare myself to do a layup. I jump up popping the ball out of my hands. I feel a body jump into me, and I head straight down to the floor. I hit my knee exactly where the bad part of it is and I scream in horror pain. My body slides across the floor hitting the mats against the wall. I hold my knee with both of my hands and cry hard.

            “Oh my god!” I scream a loud as sharp pains shoot up my knee. I roll side to side trying to handle the pain, but it’s too much.

            “Oh my god, Kadence!” Aiden gets down on her knees beside of me and looks at my body studying it.

            “It fucking hurts!” Before I know it I’m cursing when I shouldn’t be, because I don’t like to do it that often. I watch as she gets up and goes to the point-guard from the other team and starts screaming at her.

            “What the hell is wrong with you?! She’s in fucking pain now, because of you!” She yells in her face. I cry hard while the coach runs to me. She looks back at Aiden getting broken up by the referee.

            “You’re out of the game!” The referee yells at the point-guard.

            Aiden walks over to me and the coach. The coach takes off my knee pad and looks at my knee. I grab my hand and put them on my forehead with my arms spread out. I feel my body bouncing a bit off of the floor from crying. I see others beginning to crowd around me. Aiden and Hannah each grab one of my hands and hold it.

            “Shh, you’ll be okay.” Hannah whispers and moves the hair out of my face. I look up at both of them still screaming on the inside.

            “Come on, we need you to go to the ER.” The coach says. “Help her up, girls.”

            I feel Hannah and Aiden let go of my hand. They lift me up together and a couple of other girls from my team help’s. I put my arms across Hannah and Aiden’s upper backs. I continue to cry as the pain takes over. I walk with one foot with the help of Hannah and Aiden. My mom, her boyfriend, my dad, and brother run down the stands and catches up with us.

            “We’ll win this for you!” The whole team yells behind my back. That makes me feel good on the inside, but still the pain is taking over.

            I lay in the hospital bed with my arm over my eyes after several hours of crying. We’re waiting for the x-ray results to come in. The doctor gave me some medicine to help with the pain, but I can still feel it. It went from a 10 to a 7. My dad and mom are in here with me. My brother and my mom’s boyfriend are in the waiting room. My dad has been holding my hand for the past hour and won’t let go of it.

            I lift my arm up off of my eyes when the door opens. I prop the pillow up and put my hands on the bed lifting myself up. I press my back against the pillow staring at the doctor.

            “Mr. Emerson and Ms. Bedwell-“ She pauses and looks at her file. She sits down at the counter and puts the X-Ray on a box that lights up. She points at my knee cap. “Kadence has a broken knee cap. She will be in cast for 2 weeks, and after that she will be in a legend knee brace for a while and will have to do physical therapy.

            “What?!” I prop up a little more and raise my voice.

            “I’m sorry, you will be out of basketball for 2 weeks. After you get a little physical therapy with the legend knee brace you’ll be able to move in the knee brace, and play some basketball. Is there a sport you play after basketball?”

            “Softball and track.”

            “What do you play in softball?”

            “Shortstop.”

            “What do you do in track?”

            “I’m shot-put and I run the 400.”

            She takes a deep breath and looks back at the X-Ray. She shakes her head slowly and I stare at her. She looks back at me.

            “Kadence, if you don’t watch out and you accidently mess up your knee again you might not be able to walk again. I’m afraid for you to do sports.”

            I feel a bunch of weight being pushed on my shoulders now. I start to cry thinking of not being able to play sports. I love to play sports and being active is what I breathe for. I put the palm of my hands in my face so no one will see me crying. My dad puts his hand on my back and rubs it slowly.

            “The nurse will come in a minute to cast her up. Make sure she always eats healthy, because in this process she’ll probably gain some weight from not being active as much as she is.” And with that being said the doctor leaves the room, leaves me here crying, and leaves me with the horrible information I found out.

            Physical therapy my ass.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, this isn't a good ending chapter, but hey Kadence will be back to normal sometime soon. Or will she? Lol hmm, I might be evil.

Thank you for reading =]

Love.Peace.Vote.Comment.Fan

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

322K 10.3K 24
Cathy is a cute, normal, over analyzing teenaged girl. Long, dead straight, light brown hair, brown eyes, and a hell of a secret to keep hiden, espec...
82.1K 3.2K 33
After Una Rose's parents kick her out, after discovering that she is gay, she is left lost on what to do. She is left heartbroken, when her ex-lover...
354K 7.4K 32
Spencer is the new girl in town, (big city Los Angeles) from a small quiet town in Ohio. She meets Ashley, whom she instantly connects with. Hard tim...
304K 7.6K 110
In which Delphi Reynolds, daughter of Ryan Reynolds, decides to start acting again. ACHEIVEMENTS: #2- Walker (1000+ stories) #1- Scobell (53 stories)...