League of Her Own (Carmichael...

By AuthorrUnknown

SECOND BOOK IN THE CARMICHAEL SERIES Troy is just like his dad in the respect that he goes after whatever he... More

ENTIRE BOOK IS NOW PUBLIC!
Summary
Character List
Pilot
An Offer
Getting Acquainted
What's Your Plan?
Long Awaited Call
Date Gone Wrong
Say Yes
Trouble in Paradise
Frat Attack
Drunk Words, Sober Thoughts
First Impressions
Agonizing Love
Confiding
Irresponsible
Trust Me
Calm Before the Storm
New Friend...?
Have We Met Before?
Cannoli's and Distractions
Mia Figlia
Clearing Up Any Confusion
Unleashed
Bonus Chapter (Ellie)
Shattered Glass and Bail Money
Cleaning Up the Mess
Bonus Chapter: Knox and Poppy
Change of Heart
A/N - Get to Know Me
Possible New Story???
Sorry for Teasing
Save The Date
Down On One Knee
Epilogue
THE NEW STORY IS UP

How Does the Jury Find?

192K 6.4K 1.1K
By AuthorrUnknown

**Just so you guys know, I'm not going to be writing the whole court scene because it would be utter shit and I don't think the whole arguing scene and such is necessary because she's just going to be retelling the story that she's already told Troy in a previous chapter. Also, I literally can't remember if I gave Aurora a last name way earlier in the book, so I just made one up for her "brother". If someone remembers me giving her one, help a sister out lol. Hope you guys enjoy this part!**

Troy's POV

Rolling over in bed as my alarm went off, I was caught off guard when I saw Aurora was already wide awake. Rubbing my hand over her stomach, her eyes immediately snapped to the side to look at me. It was then that I could tell she wasn't really wide awake, she was totally delirious. Her eyes were blurry and bloodshot and she had dark under eye circles from hell. My guess was that she hadn't slept a wink last night.

"I would ask how you slept, but I know you didn't. Are you okay?" I questioned while rolling onto my side and pulling her body into my own. She buried her head in my chest before shrugging her shoulders. I scratched at her back with my dull finger nails, just letting her have a few more minutes of peace and quiet before she had to get up and deal with the shit that was undoubtedly going to be thrown at her today.

"I'm straight up going into that courtroom is an extra large comfort colors long sleeve and a pair of leggings with my unwashed hair in a bun and no makeup on and if anyone has any objections I will literally shove the gavel up their ass." She stated vehemently. I burst out laughing, tears threatening to escape my eyes at the intense look of seriousness that her eyes held. She joined in on my uncontrollable laughter after a few minutes.

"I'm being serious!" She defended through a small giggle as her once tense body visibly relaxed in my hold.

"I know, that's why I'm laughing so hard." I replied through a few reminiscent giggles before pinching her side right where I knew her ticklish spot was. Her entire body jerked away from my fingers as she snorted while slapping at my hand.

"Troy Knox Carmichael you cut that shit out right now!" She warned while giving me her signature death glare. Completely ignoring her warning, I abruptly swung my leg over her body to straddle her waist and began to tickle her sides relentlessly. She wriggled in my hold while laughing and trying to swat my hands away. Leaning down, I continued to attack her sides while also beginning to peck kisses all over her neck - where she was usually ticklish unless turned on.

"Troy! S-stop!" She shouted through another fit of giggles. The bedroom door was pushed open and my mom peeked her head in.

"Are you two almost ready to go?" She asked, causing Aurora to gasp and kick me off the bed entirely from surprise. I landed on my ass with an umph and an annoyed glare her way.

"Hey!" I shouted in mock outrage.

"That's what you get for tickling me when I told you to stop, you ass hat." She teased before flinging the blankets off of her body and swinging her legs over the side of the bed.

"I just have to grab some clothes and throw my hair up and we'll be ready." She reassured my mom before sending her a small smile who smiled back before ducking back out the door.

"Alright. Time to get this shit show on the road I suppose." She said with a deep sigh. Picking myself off the floor, I cradled her face in my hands before kissing her forehead tenderly. She accepted my embrace before patting at my chest and walking away to get dressed.

**

"In the matter of Marcus Cavell versus Theo Sterling on the count of murder in the first degree, how do you find?" The judge asked the jury. I waited on baited breath as I watched Aurora squeeze my dad's hand in a death grip. I would've never agreed to let her go up there without me if she wasn't with someone I trusted - our main company lawyer, who happened to be the best in the whole state, was quite a dry and intimidating man and wasn't someone I wanted to leave Aurora to deal with on her own.

"We find the defendant, Marcus Cavell, not guilty." The woman stated clearly and confidently. Aurora erupted in a sob as she shot out of her seat and made her way towards her brother who was being detained in his orange suit and handcuffs. He was uncuffed seconds before Aurora threw herself at him. I watched as she sobbed violently while he tried to soothe her by running his hand over the back of her head in a loving manner. I hung back by my dad while I gave her and her brother some much needed space. She'd told me that she hasn't seen him, even in pictures or anything, since he left the courtroom two, almost three years ago.

I saw her brother's eyes flitter towards me and my dad before he mumbled something to Aurora, who was still hopelessly crying. She unwrapped herself from around him before they made their way towards us. My dad stuck his hand out to shake Marcus', but he pulled my dad into a tight hug instead, patting him on the back while murmuring multiple thank yous.

"Are you going to officially introduce me?" He asked Aurora with an amused smirk as she was wiping her tears away.

"Marcus, this is my boyfriend, Troy." She said motioning towards me. I nodded my head in recognition before shaking his out stretched hand.

"Oh, shit! Aurora can you run and ask the officer where I'm supposed to go to pick up my things?" He asked her abruptly. Her attitude changed immediately. She nodded before dashing off to complete the task she was given. Marcus watched her until she disappeared before turning to me with a gravely serious look in his eyes.

"Thank you." He began before his voice broke off as he started to choke up. "I don't know what you did, or what special powers you possess, but you've given me my little sister back. When I left her, she looked like she was better off dead. She was barely even a shell of her old self, and now I can tell she's back to normal and even better than before. She has a glow of life I've never seen in her, and for that I will be eternally grateful. To both you and your family. Thank you for looking out for her when I couldn't and when she needed it the most." He said, conveying how genuine his words were with his eyes.

"I love your sister very much and I would do anything for her. If she says jump, I ask how high." I said with a light, playful tone but still meaning every word. He laughed along with me before shaking his head back and forth.

"Marcus?" Aurora's soft voice asked from behind me. She stopped next to me and I greedily took the opportunity to wrap my arm around her waist, missing touching her.

"Yes?" He questioned while searching her face intently. She was sporting her usual look that meant she was over-thinking something.

"You know we aren't really related, don't you?" He said knowingly. She swallowed harshly before nodding.

"This is a conversation we can have later. Can we go get some grub? Prison food is just...horrible to put it nicely." He said with a look of blatant distaste causing us all to laugh.

Piling into the car, we quickly made our way to my families favorite diner before seating ourselves.

"You don't need a menu, just try their biscuits and gravy. It's seriously to die for." Aurora said knowingly while snatching the grimy menu from his hands. I smiled at their antics but I had to refrain from showing my annoyance at not being able to sit next to her. Not touching her was a major issue for me.

"So, how long have you known?" Aurora asked, quickly getting down to business with the issue at hand. Marcus eyed my father and I from under his lashes, probably thinking we didn't really know what was going on and not wanting to broadcast his family issues.

"They were there when I found out, spill." She demanded, obviously understanding the reason for his hesitance.

"I didn't know for the first 9 or so years. I just always thought it was weird that you didn't look anything like mom, dad, or me. I never wanted to ask because I'd seen first hand how upset my mom got whenever someone who wasn't family mentioned the stark difference. I was sixteen at the time and my parents were fighting in the kitchen after dinner. I needed my backpack that I left down there after school to finish up a paper and I made the mistake of going to get it. I hid and listened to their conversation when they started talking about private investigators sniffing around and digging into their personal information. Then, they started talking about moving again and that just further peaked my interest. That's when it all blew up in my face; I'll never forget what my dad said to her. It was the reason why I left you all on your own after they split up months later." He said solemnly while staring intently into his coffee mug with an ashamed expression on his face.

"What did he say?" Aurora whispered, her eyes desperately searching his face.

"He said, 'this was your stupid fucking idea to steal someone else's kid. You deal with the consequences cause I sure as hell ain't. That kid ain't even fucking mine'. I couldn't stand to be around him after that. Even looking at him in the face made me sick. Not to mention what my mother did to you and your family." He said with a slight flinch. Glancing at Aurora, he looked surprised to see her in still in one piece. "You're not upset?" He questioned with a look of confusion.

"I've come to terms with the fact that those two aren't my real family. You are, but they aren't. I always wondered why I never felt a connection between either of them. Plus my real dad is pretty cool, I think you would like him." She said with an awkward fidget - no doubt this was a weird topic to discuss for both parties. "Just one more question." Aurora said after taking a long sip of her steaming coffee.

"Yes?"

"How come you never told me?" She questioned, her voice small and childlike. Marcus cleared his throat, looking lost for words.

"I never knew how to tell you. Hell, I never knew what to tell you. I didn't know much about the situation myself other than the fact that you weren't my real sister. I had no idea who your real parents were or where to find them or what would happen to you if I contacted the police about it. I was too afraid of losing you or causing you more pain than what you'd already been through after the divorce to do anything about it." He finally finished. She cleared her throat while trying to blink back her tears as she nodded her head, acknowledging that she heard him. I reached across the table and gathered her hands in my own before beginning to caress her knuckles. Spending extra attention to her left hand ring finger, I reminded myself to talk to my mother sometime in the near future.

A silent agreement was made amongst everyone that there had been enough serious talk for the day. Once our food was placed on our table, everyone dug in. No one spoke for a few minutes until Marcus broke the silence.

"So, borealis, I met someone." His words caused aurora to choke on the french fry she was chewing as she gasped in shock. She coughed violently until her throat was cleared.

"Y-you what?" She blanched.

"I met someone. She's kinda young, and there's a bit of an age difference between us, but I really like her. I was working on highway clean up duty and so was she. Poor thing got an MIP and was given 40 hours of community service in order to remove it from her personal record. At first, I thought she was a one of those snobby rich sluts, but after I talked to her and got to know her I realized she's just been through some shit that no one cares to understand. Kinda like you and me." He finished with a small smile before taking a big bite of his biscuit that'd just reached our table. Aurora's mouth was hanging open displaying her shock. I reached across the table and pushed her chin up with my finger as she continued to stare at her brother unphased.

"How young are we talking?" She asked skeptically.

"Well...um, about, uh, your age?" He spoke, making it sound like more of a question than an answer.

"Just stop talking. I've had enough action in my life these last few days to last me a lifetime. We can talk about your new woman in a few days when my brain recuperates. Just let me eat" Aurora said before talking a heaping bite of her own food. I laughed at her words before starting up our game of footsie under the table once again.

"Evan's plane is landing today in a couple of hours, so if it's not too much to ask could you and Aurora pick her up from the airport? With everything going on, she decided to postpone dress shopping until this summer." My dad suddenly piped in. I nodded my head in response, knowing it would be nice for Aurora and I to get away and just drive for an hour or so.

"Well, my ride just got here. I need to go have a final meeting with my parole officer about paperwork and such. Again, I really appreciate everything you've done for me Knox. I'll pay you back for everything once I get a steady job. Thank you." Marcus said before shaking my dad's hand.

"It's not a problem. Us Carmichaels take care of our own, and as far as I'm concerned you're as good of family as Aurora." My dad spoke before Marcus said a final thank you and headed out of the restaurant. As soon as the seat was unoccupied, I switched sides and sat next to my girl, throwing my arm over the back of the seat and playing with the baby hairs at the nape of her neck. She giggled at the sensation before swatting my hand away and cuddling into my side. My dad let out a deep sigh, catching both Aurora and I's attention.

"What's up old man?" I asked, seeing the stressed look in his eyes.

"I'm supposed to be sitting down and discussing everything with your mother, sister, and Beckett when I get home and I just know I'm going to land myself further in the doghouse for saying the wrong thing." He grumbled. I laughed at him before shaking my head.

"Better start groveling now." I teased before laughing deeply as he shot me his signature glare.

"Alright, let's go. I don't want to put this off longer than I already have." He muttered before throwing a few twenties on the table and lifting himself out of the booth. The worn out chair groaned at the sudden loss of weight causing me to smirk.

**

"Mom?" I called out while knocking lightly on my parents bedroom door. I could hear her softly singing while fumbling around with something in the room. I only had to wait a few seconds before she pulled the door open and greeted me with a warm smile. She pulled me down before placing a loving kiss on my cheek and asking me what was wrong. I just smiled, she could read me like a book.

"Can I talk to you for a minute?" I asked. She must have seen the seriousness in my eyes, because she didn't question me further before opening the door all the way and ushering me inside.

"What's going on sweetheart? Where's Aurora?" She asked as her forehead creased with worry.

"She was really tired so she's taking a nap right now." I said, only answering part of her question. I rattled my brain for how I was going to ask my next question.

"I need a promise ring." I said, finally deciding to just be blunt about what it was I came here for. Her demeanor changed instantly. She went from worried to crying happily is seconds. Pulling me into a tight hug, she practically smothered me. I laughed softly at her behavior before hugging her back.

"I'm so proud of you, but why don't you just want my wedding ring? Your father did talk to you like I asked, didn't he?" She asked, getting slightly angry towards the end of her question. I nodded instantly, not wanting to get my dad into any more trouble for something he didn't do.

"Yes, he did. I just think with us both still being in college, a promise ring is a better idea. I just want her to have some sort of indicator that she's mine already." I explained sheepishly. She nodded in understanding while wiping away her tears.

"What's going on?" I heard my dad's deep voice say behind me. I could tell he thought something was wrong due to my mother's tears.

"There's been a change of plans. You're picking Evan up from the airport later and I'm taking Troy to the jewelers." She stated leaving no room for discussion.

"Okay..." My dad spoke suspiciously, but held his tongue. My mom humphed under her breath before continuing to ignore my dad which caused me to laugh.

"It's quite unfair that all three of us boys are what caused the whole debacle yesterday, yet I'm the only one being punished for it." My dad said with a raised eyebrow and hands on his hips, unimpressed with my mother's snubbing.

"Yes, but-"

"Flower." My dad snapped with a strict voice. I had to admit, it was quite unfair that she was taking the entirety of her anger out of him and only him. She crossed her arms and began to pout while avoiding eye contact with both of us.

"Troy, go. Your mother and I need to have a talk." He ordered. Glancing at him, I recognized the look in his eyes and I had to struggle to keep my lunch down. No one wants to think about their parents having sex.

Dashing from the room, I made my way to where Aurora was napping before climbing in bed with her and dozing off myself. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3M 100K 59
Caleb Tanner is a unique combination of both killer and savior all wrapped into one. As a former Navy Seal and medic, Caleb has the ability to both t...
86.8K 1.9K 76
"No! No, I don't need an explanation, everything is clear to me. Congratulations, you've made it, I fell in love with you, but if you leave, please d...
47.4K 1K 12
❝ 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘸𝘪𝘭𝘭 𝘢𝘭𝘸𝘢𝘺𝘴 𝘣𝘦 𝘮𝘺 𝘧𝘢𝘷𝘰𝘳𝘪𝘵𝘦 𝘧𝘰𝘳𝘮 𝘰𝘧 𝘭𝘰𝘷𝘪𝘯𝘨 . ❞ Batfam x reader headcanons and more
9.5M 345K 46
Briar Roberts is a struggling artist who can't help clash with her best friends brother and Quarterback Truex Marshall. When Truex starts dropping hi...