The Truth Hurts

By 7ofspades_

"You know...I thought I was just being a good friend by telling you. But no...I just wanted you for myself ri... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35 (1)
Chapter 35 (2)
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Epilogue

Chapter 18

11.4K 354 9
By 7ofspades_

There's this saying I've herd in a movie once. I believe the name was Sister Act 2. But it said "If you want to be somebody, if you want to go somewhere, you have to wake up and pay attention". It's that same saying that motivates me in everything I do everyday. Whether it'd be school or my extracurriculars, I use it everyday in everything. And it's also the thing that's currently giving me the motivation to finish this chemistry final.

This test is five pages long and I'm literally dreading to do this last page. Beside me Ky, looks as if this final is nothing. He's breezing through each question so quickly. I mean it's not like the questions are hard; they just take forever to figure out. I drag through the last of the questions, turning it in right after.

Settling back into my seat, I put my head down into folded my arms. A few moments later, my shoulder gets nudged. From the direction the nudge was coming from, I knew it was Ky.

"So how'd you think you do" he whispers in a low voice after I give him my attention.

"Eh...alright" I whisper back, tilting my hand side to side. "You?"

"It was a little challenging" he answers. But from what I saw during the test, it looked like he was having absolutely no problems. Unless of course, he was just guessing. But I quickly disregard the thought considering he needs to keep a good GPA for football.

"Hey! No talking!" My teacher nearly shouts.

I duck my head in embarrassment after giving the teacher a quick nod. I don't like it when teachers do that. It pulls unwanted attention toward you. But I'd actually have that instead of being singled out by a teacher when they call out your name. That's messed up.

Soft chuckling sounds beside me. I turn my head, surprised to actually hear him chuckling. I think this is the closest I've ever heard him do that. But as soon as it came, I'm not longer surprised and I just simply glare at Ky. "What's so funny?" I harshly whisper at him. He shakes his head still chuckling and goes on his phone. After typing something, he points to his phone signaling that he wants me to go onto mine.

A text message from Ky pops up onto my screen and it reads:
Ky: It looked like you haven't been in trouble before.

I roll my eyes at the text. I forgot we had each other's numbers. We had to for a project we had early on in the year. Before I could type a reply, the bell rings. After collecting all of my belongings, I quicken my paste to catch up to Ky.

"I have gotten into trouble before by the way" I point out to him. Ky doesn't answer but just half smirks and just continues to look forward. A frown takes over my face. I actually thought he was going to have a full on conversation with me, considering the amount talking he did. But he's back to the same Ky everyone knows.

But I guess the only way to have him actually talk to you is if you ask him a question that doesn't require just a "yes" or a "no". And so I gather up the courage to ask him something I've been pondering on for a while. I wait to ask him until we reach my locker.

I hope he doesn't think I'm weird after I ask this. I'll be humiliated. So, after opening my locker, I take in a shaky breath and let it out slowly. "Uh...Ky, what did you mean when you said there's other fish in the sea?" I ask slowly but surely, making sure I pick the right words to say.

I try to read the expression on his face but he's so good at hiding his expressions. I can't read him. It doesn't look like he thinks I'm weird though. He ponders on it for what seemed like five-ever before answering.

"Well, you looked pretty down when you saw Daniel and Katie, so I just put two and two together" he pauses for a moment then continues. "And thought you could use...the cheering up". After hearing that, I smile up at Ky in gratitude toward him. He never fails to surprise me with his responses. How he was able to sense how I was feeling at that time; I have yet to find out.

"Ah! See! I made you smile. My work here is done" he says more enthusiastically than I expected. But I giggle at him nonetheless. He did make me feel better. And just as I opened my mouth to say something, Daniel appears on the side of me. But his expression shows nothing more than a scowl. And it's directed right at Ky.

He directs his attention toward me and asks, "So, what's so funny?" He says a bit harshly. I turn to Ky for help because I've never heard Daniel talk to me like that before. To say it took me by surprise is an understatement. Why is he acting like this?

"I just told her a joke" Ky answers for me and I give him a thankful look. Daniel turns to him with his jaw clenched. Worried that something might start, I subtly step in the middle of them. Keeping his eyes on Ky, Daniel asks me, "Who's this?" nodding his head at Ky in the process.

And I ask myself again, why is he acting like this? Like does he have a problem with Ky? But wait, if he doesn't know who he is, why would he have a problem in the first place? I make metal note to self to make sure I ask Daniel what his deal was.

"This is Ky. My friend" I answer him. Daniel snaps his head in my direction and looks straight into my eyes as if he's searching for something. When I look straight back with as much intensity as him, his eyes seem to calm and the lightness of his brown eyes seem to show again. He looks at Ky and then at me. Afterwards, he shakes his head and stalks off without saying another word.

I stare back at his retreating figure not really knowing what that was or if I'm supposed to do something. I turn to look at Ky who seems to be deep in thought. Probably thinking the same I am right now. And we just continue to stand there in silence even though there's a crowd of talking students surrounding us.

*******

School ends and I know I'm supposed to be happy not only because it's over and tomorrow is Friday but I'm still shaken up about what happened after first period. At lunch it was even more weird. It was completely awkward. No one muttered a single word, for they knew something was up. And every now and then, Daniel would look at me hoping I'll look back, but I couldn't bring myself to do it. What he did was really weird.

I shove my forensic text book into my locker, closing it right after. I open the small pocket of my bag trying to take out my phone. While I was still searching, I start to make my way to the zoology animal care center, but my head collides with something. I stumble backwards a little, while gaining my balance back in the process.

"Oh, sorry" a voice I know well says. I look up at Daniel and offer him a small smile, letting him know it's fine. Unlike Ky, Daniel is pretty easy to read. And the look he's giving me right now reminds me of the time when I got our bracelets. Full of hope and excitement.

"The guys, Willa, and Violet are coming over. Did you want to come?" He asks casually. Is he really pretending as if nothing happened? Again! This boy is giving me huge whiplashes with his mixed emotions. I guess I'll act as if nothing happened again too then.

"I'd love to, but I have to go to the zoology animal care center. Sorry" I answer apologetically but offer him a small smile afterwards.

His face falls a little but he quickly recovers by saying, "Oh, I'll see you tomorrow then" and he turns on his heel and walks off. Just like that. That's it? That was it? Why do I always seem to be left dumbfounded every time I talk to him?

Something strange is going on with him. And something tells me, we're all going to find out what it is soon.

A/N: Hey!

I hope you enjoyed this weeks chapter. I hope you guys are paying attention to all of the things I am putting in my chapters. They will play important things in later chapters.

Until the next chapter,

-Gia

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.3M 99.8K 49
Dakota is just like every other 17 year old high school senior. Or that's what everyone thinks. Everyone sees Dakota as this funny, sarcastic, and...
503K 14.3K 55
Finished; September 13th 2019 #10 abuse #10 teenfiction #8 stepdad #6 hope #3 badboys #3 broken #1 escape #1 goodgirl #1 hate #1 stepbrother...
350K 7.8K 39
Haley Jacobs is not your typical teenager. Her once perfect life, long gone. She has gone through hell and back, and is barely hanging on by a thr...
518K 17.3K 18
"-what’s your name?" My heart stopped. I shouldn't tell him my real name, because then he’ll want to know where I live and then what if he wants to m...