No Hands but My Own

By clarady

It was bound to happen. When the tribes in the South conglomerated into the Southern Union, they thought tha... More

Part 1
Chapter 1 - Inhale
Chapter 3 - Capture
Chapter 4 - Journey
Chapter 5 - Court
Chapter 6 - Duty
Chapter 7 - Gathering
Chapter 8 - Scars
Chapter 9 - Run
Chapter 10 - Doubt
Chapter 11 - Ashes
Chapter 12 - Hate
Chapter 13 - Choice
Part 2
Chapter 14 - Evasion
Chapter 15 - Shame
Chapter 16 - Curiosity
Chapter 17 - Children
Chapter 18 - Learn
Chapter 19 - Age
Chapter 20 - Habit
Chapter 21 - Acceptance
Chapter 22 - Trial
Chapter 23 - News
Part 3
Chapter 24 -- Mirror

Chapter 2 - Invasion

210 20 22
By clarady

Sudden yells cut through the air as we ran towards the East.

Glancing at Dilenkeh, a silent consensus passed between us. Our legs pumped faster.

I reached the central area of Eastern defense first. We had built a tiny one-man bridge over the small ravine; due to the traps along the ravine's length, it was not possible to pass unscathed from one end of the ravine to the other without crossing the bridge.

It was at the tunnel-like platform at its mouth that Reliel was standing resolutely, fighting a perpetual chain of enemies that seemed to swallow him alive. Bodies piled at his feet and the canopy above his head was littered with arrows, some still aflame. A sleek shadow, he danced through each opponent, sliding away from the light and the sight of archers at the end of the canopy.

From the trees behind us arrows sank into the opposing army; someone -- Shira? -- was giving Reliel a hope for a moment as more and more soldiers collapsed with feathers buried in their chests.

As I took in Reliel's perilous position,  I noticed something strange. The men he was fighting were untrained pups, wielding their weapons with fresh and shaking hands, but just behind them stood groups of men watching the butchery with indifference, fingering strange silvery batons. Sitting at their heels were large, shining creatures that gave me a sick feeling -- I had heard of these monsters.

Barrel-like bodies with thick limbs. Limbs so thick, that the bodies seemed to be propelled by nothing and instead, gave the illusion of a controlled slide. If anything could slide that fast over any terrain, that is. So for many reasons these shiny trunks were called "Ljus abami" or light demons, but mainly it was due to the terrifyingly animated faces at the face of each barrel.

They had maddeningly human expressions formed in silver though their features were so grotesque that they could have only originated in the twisted perceptions of the worst nightmares. If what I heard was true, the creatures would have no difficulty overcoming the hidden traps and poisons that had killed so many of the lesser trained soldiers who had tried to bypass the bridge.

I did not try to find  a feasible answer as to why the invaders would withhold such devastation -- there was no time.

Running beneath the cover of trees then sprinting through the clearing near the bridge, Dilenkeh and I raced to join Reliel at the platform. He had been beating off the onslaught for a while. His movements held a trace of strain and his quick reactions were slowed. His lanky frame shook from exertion as he tried to stay consistent and deadly.

"Reliel. The bridge."

Nodding understanding,  Reliel slid to one side so I could join him. The first soldier came too quickly; sword swinging at my head, I rolled out of the way at the last moment. His blade stuck to the ground, giving Reliel the opening he needed to finish the job. It gave me the chance to slide my sword from its scabbard. We danced around each other, kicking and diving with a flamboyance that was completely unnecessary but so worried the green soldiers that they clustered at the edge of the canopy.  Dilenkeh reached behind us and sliced the thin rope that would have tripped us if either Reliel or I took a step back. It began to fall apart, spitting sparks at both ends. With a groan, a heavy plank of wood swung down shielding us. We heard the pounding of fists against the solid wood for just a moment before an almighty shuddering groan; the bridge had collapsed. The screams of the soldiers fighting for the disappearing islands of safety from the acidic pools below were muted in our little sanctum.

"Reliel, work long distance attacks with -- Shira's up there?" Catching his nod of assent, I continued, "We're going to go help the South-West. Whatever you do, once you're up in a tree do not come down. Protect Shira."

The thumping of projectiles into the thick lumber protecting us echoed like heavy rain on a tin roof. Some were so powerful that the wood splintered; what ever these people were using they were not normal arrows. Our breathing grew heavy as we waited in anticipation. Worry entered our shelter too as more and more of our protection was turned into dust.

Finally, there was such a loud bang that we were all rendered deaf. While the earth trembled under the strength of the explosion,  we began to run. I glanced back as we ran for cover to see the fruits of our final trap -- the earth where all the ranks of men had stood was overturned.  The light demons were buried or broken. The resulting army was confused,  in pain, and negligible.

Yet even with such devastation, it felt like the broken army was only in a temporary state. Soon they would retaliate. We managed to reach the trees unharmed, though from the corner of my eye I could see the men righting themselves and dusting themselves off, getting ready.

Reliel found a tree not too far from the bridge that was tall, with plenty of branches, and (hopefully) out of range. He promptly ascended it and began working at whittling down what was left of their army.

Dilenkeh and I began our journey to the Southern corner with a new spring in our steps -- it's not often that three eliminate an army of dozens. Feeling confident was perhaps the most natural and the worst thing to do.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Southern set of traps was gone. Bodies littered the forest floor where the enemy had advanced. It was impossible to walk through the area without stepping on a corpse; the advancing invaders had sustained significant losses but so had we.

Naddel's and Calaraia's broken bodies had been destroyed by the advancing wave. Their skins were purple with bruises and covered with blood from cruel gaping gashes. But still, one broken hand reached for the other, as if they had known that if they died together, entwined, all the pain and the dismal road of death would have been alright. That all of it would have been alright if only they could hold each other’s hands as the darkness came.

I could feel my throat close up and I saw Dilenkeh wipe his face from the corner of my eye. It wasn’t right to leave them there but there was nothing else we could do. We could not stay long, knowing that there were murderers walking straight to our home.

Silently, I motioned to Dilenkeh who joined my side. With the utmost care, we laid them together, side-by-side. And all of a sudden, they didn’t look broken anymore. I nodded at them then turned to go; there was work to do and more lives at risk.

We ran  West.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Battle has a smell and a feeling to it that is quite unique. The only time I had encountered anything similar to it was where healers were amputating. The stench of blood, flesh, fear, and heavy summer air mix together in a nauseating fashion. Especially when it is your own fear.

The army from the South had joined with the one from the West. As the Western army tried to ford a small river to join their companions, the Southern army was attacking the trees. They must have found Yishus. He kept firing arrows to try to keep them back and though his aim was good, the effect was small.

The sudden, convulsing deaths of a few soldiers meant that Ralerin was hiding in the trees as well -- he was one of the few of us who used a blowpipe. I sighed, glad to know that he was no longer meandering through the forest scouting when so many invaders were walking through our woods. At sixteen, he was prone to overestimating his abilities as a fighter and I wasn’t willing to lose anymore kids today if I could help it.

Gesturing, Dilenkeh joined me behind a bush to watch. My knee jittered as I knelt and worried my lip.

"Dilenkeh, they need a distraction to get out." I whispered vehemently into his ear.

"I'm not volunteering."

"Never said you were. Just get them to camp."

Dilenkeh nodded and began to make his way closer to the center of chaos under cover. Thankfully, he was stealthy enough that I didn’t think I’d have to worry for at least a minute. Sprinting low, I raced towards the river and downstream. The edge here was rocky but the water was loud enough to cover any slips and hissed swears I had. Feet away from the far edge of the fording army, I patted myself down, hoping to have packed anything that would be helpful. The sound of rushing water flowing over their boots was getting louder. So were the calls from the stragglers of the army attacking the boys up in the trees.

The feel of smooth stone in worn leather made me smile and close my eyes for a blessed moment. Whispering a thank-you prayer to whomever was listening, I fished a few of the black pebbles gingerly. Cupping the handful of icy stone, I began to breathe over them, warming them up. After a few puffs of air, they began to glow gently.Smirking, I began to toss them at random towards both armies.

I already was moving into the open when the pebbles began to pop. As if on springs, the pebbles bounced and ricocheted between people. Though pretty harmless, the impact of a pebble on bare skin can result in a minor burn -- not to mention a bad bruise from the impact. In effect, they became the perfect distraction when coupled with a random person (which had to be me of course) running very obviously back to the South.

Thankfully, the few soldiers who were not distracted by the pebbles took the bait and began to chase me. I pounded the ground, racing down the path that the army had come from and prayed  that Dilenkeh would be able to get Yishus and Ralerin back to relative safety. I could almost see the boys leaping from branch to branch while the armies surrounding  them writhed and panicked.

Slowing down, I forced myself to breathe as quietly as possible, trying to hear what the stomping feet behind me were up to. They seemed to be fading away; I ducked into the brush before the soldiers started to take pot shots at me. Leaping between fallen branches and towering trunks, I raced back to camp.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From the outside, camp looked intimidating. Very intimidating. Spikes had been driven into the ground, the wooden homes had become fortifications with tons of half-hidden nooks that anyone could be hiding behind, trees towered all around with dark canopies. A hub of buzzing anticipation, camp looked nearly impenetrable.

If we were fighting a normal battle, I would have walked in laughing. As it was, I ran into camp silently.  As Canium, I can do nothing but lead -- even if the odds are depressingly unfavorable.

"Who's here, Sle?" I called out when I saw my friend standing in the central clearing.

"Nearly everyone. Assadar, Bemkash, Gahnenal, Yishus, Dilenkeh, and Ralerin."

"Good. Right folks, hope you're all ready for a good one."  I said as I entered the hub.

I smiled at Yishus and Ralerin up on some branches high above us (kids are so nimble), glad that Dilenkeh got them out in one piece, as I joined Sle in the central clearing. When I was just a few feet away, Sle leaned in and asked "That bad out there?"

"How could you tell?"

"I haven't seen you this fake-happy since after your Choosing."

"Yeah. That bad."

Sle swallowed audibly and started to throw his hammer from hand to hand. Trying to stay my slight nervous shake, I grabbed the club hanging on my back and began to swing it  in one hand while switching the grip of my dagger in the other, keeping my muscles limber. Dilenkeh side-stepped a swing and smirked.

"If that's the best you've got Canium, I'm changing sides!"

I smiled up at Dilenkeh. "Oh yeah? Let me get you one of those delightful concoctions I'm privy to making. And I'd even toss in extra "taste-enhancing" ingredients, free of charge."

Listening, Sle spasmed unconsciously. "Don't do it Dilenkeh. I think Canium's being serious."

Dilenkeh swallowed hard. "If that's the case, well Chief, what do you want me to do?" He looked down at me as meekly as he could.

I turned away, snorting. "Shutting up would be a good start."

"Anything else?" Dilenkeh begged.

Pretending to think about it, I took a moment before I answered, "Nope."

As sad as it may seem, especially in regards to a giant of a man holding a wicked short sword in one hand and a dagger in another, Dilenkeh pouted.

Smirking, I went back to swinging my club, working different strikes slowly. Hearing snickers from above, I turned on my heel and caught the tail end of Dilenkeh’s flouncing.

"If you get hurt, I'm definitely not helping you." I made sure my face was remained serious with traces of offense.

"But I was being quiet!"

"Back to work." I turned back to face the woods and ignored Dilenkeh's irate mutterings.

A wailing scream echoed through the woods, cutting his grumbling short. The shriek undulated but crept closer all the time, leaving the thin hairs at the back of my neck standing.

"Shira." Sle breathed beside me.

"Or Reliel." I muttered back. Uneasiness spread over our little band and our weapons started to feel meager as the painful cry came nearer.

"They're here!" Someone yelled.

I understand now why they were holding back the light demons; they were powerful intimidation tools on their own. Like a wave, these creatures ran over the earth, leaving fallen trees in their tracks and furrows deep in the earth. With the mass of soldiers behind them, they were like the first wave of Death’s own army. their glowing bodies providing a quick end to the unfortunates they met.

As the solid ranks approached us, two monsters ran ahead. From each of their open mouths ran a long silver chain. At the end of each chain was a spike which was deeply buried in flesh.

Reliel's leg had been punctured through the center of his thigh.  He was screaming wordlessly as one of the beasts dragged him over the rough terrain. I had never seen the ever-calm Reliel cry like that before -- the pain must have been immense.

Shira, on the other hand, was silent; the way the spike had driven through her arm coupled with its strange position indicated a break. She had passed out; her muscular frame limp and flopping.

The monsters stopped in front of us. Detaching its spike from Shira's prone figure, one of the beasts spoke.

"A warning to you."

Joining its comrade,  the other demon detached its spike from Reliel.

"You have two minutes to decide."

The two silvery figures sat and awaited our verdict. I forced my face into an emotionless mask. For the corner of my eye, I could see Dilenkeh and Sle looked down impassively at our howling friend, their emotions hidden as well. I glanced behind me to see how the kids were fairing; every face looked sickened, perhaps even a bit terrified,  but very determined.

Nodding to Yishus and Ralerin, I moved towards  the beasts and answered.

"Yes."

A shower of arrows fell on the light demons. With a quick step, my knife slid into the crack between two silvery plates under the face of one of the monsters.Giving it a good tug, I tore away the surprised beast's head. A great column of purple air escaped and swirled out of its metallic cage. The empty silver armour fell away with a clang.

I heard another clamour and saw Dilenkeh standing over a pile of plate. Sle and Bemkash dragged Shira and Reliel to safety. Looking up, I saw the file of enemies approaching their ordered footsteps pounding the ground.

"Here we go!" I said to myself.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Clashing weapons, pained screams, and absolute confusion. A seemingly endless attack with two more springing from where one fell -- the cruelest of hydras.

Sweat ran down my face, and once, when I blinked the stinging away and batted a few soldiers out of my way, I saw that this was just the beginning. Behind the mass, the men with the silver staffs stood, waiting for their chance to spill our blood.

The burning pain of abused muscle, the desperation to live, and the final sacrifice of these poor people meant nothing at all. I tried to make sure from that moment that these bodies that had to be disposed of, had to dispatched as easily as possible. As cleanly as possible so that there would be enough strength to fight the silver-staffed ones.

Bemkash went against the grain. Though I’m sure that he had seen the mass of silver-staffed men, he fought through each opponent with unrelenting vigor, moving forward, running pell-mell through his first battle. It didn’t seem to matter to him whether or not he was conserving strength or providing a quick death. He was quite a powerfully built young man for our clan -- nearing Dilenkeh in sheer size -- and must have felt drunk on his sheer strength.

At one moment, all the opponents around him were all gone, dead or terrified. He was alone, past the edge of the latest wave of untrained foot soldiers while rivulets of blood running down his long blade.

"Is that all? Is that all you have, cowards?" He cried at the wall of unmoving men with their silvery weapons. One of the invading soldiers reacted; gracefully, he lifted his silver staff. Light danced on the surface, showing no link between flesh or metal -- it was all one. The air seemed to haze around the now glowing rod and speed over to Bemkash.

It was so quick that he did not have the chance to move. A hole the size of a hand-span had punched its way through Bemkash's chest and continued on to hit one of the men I was fighting on the side of his head.

"Cover!"

Everyone ran. Clan member or not, we all ran to avoid the blasts now being sent off from every direction by the rows of silver-handed men. They shot in every direction -- not caring whether or not their own men perished.

I managed to get to what had been Sle’s home. Hiding on the far side of the building, I hoped that the air shot from the silver rods could not penetrate several thick walls of wood. I could hear screaming and splintering where the desperate had hidden inside. It was no longer a battle - it was a massacre.

With the club I had dropped gone, I only had my dagger left to protect me and mine. I stood, trying to compose myself as screams echoed all around me. Slowing my gasping breaths, I was able to stop the tremors running through my body. The sound of splintering wood grew louder.

Looking down at my hands, which had nearly stopped shaking, I spotted dark and cracked bone. Taking the old horn from my belt, I placed the cool horn on my lips and blew. The eerie howl left a curious silence behind it; walking to the edge of the building, I raised my hands and dropped my dagger.

"We yield." I said quietly, facing the silvery throng.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

451 33 29
"God my emotions were on a fucking roller coaster today. If I'm not nervous, I'm scared, if I'm not scared, I'm disgusted and if I'm not disgusted, I...
170 18 7
The wolves of the wood who were once men who had families and lives had been those victimized by the old legend, men were chosen by members of a grou...
5.5K 440 22
If you were to ask any werewolf where their life really started to mean something most would tell you it was when they first laid eyes on their mate...
104 16 30
When the world lies in shambles as a war draws closer and closer, when humanity must grasp for every grain of wheat to survive just another day, when...