Types of Swords

By MikuChan2468

Has Information on swords that are made from all over the world. Disclaimer: I do not own any pictures or the... More

Flyssa
Kaskara
Khopesh
Mameluke Sword
Nimcha
Takoba (Tuareg Sword)
Billoa (Somalian)
Shotel
Jian
Baguajian
Dao
Baguadao
Butterfly Sword
Chungdao
Chinese War Sword
Dadao
Liuyedao
Piandao
Taijijian
Miao Dao
Nandao
Wodao
Yanmaodao
Zhanmadao
Hook Sword
Nihonto
Bokken
Kodachi
Chokutõ
Kabutowari
Iaitõ
Jintachi
Nihonto (Japanese Sword) Mountings
Katana
Nagamaki
Ninjatõ
Nodachi
Õdachi
Shinai
Shinken
Tachi
Tsurugi
Wakizashi
Dõtanuki
Uchigatana
Hwandudaedo
Geom
Saingeom
Jedok geom
Golok
Luwuk
Klewang
Parang
Dha
Balisword
Bolo Knife
Buntot Pagi
Dahong Palay
Kalis
Kampilan
Panabas
Pinutí
Krabi Krabong
Patag
Asi (Mahabharata)
Firangi
Hengdang
Talwar
Kayamkulam Vaal
Khanda
Malappuram Kathi
Moplah
Pata
Urumi
Katsane
Iron Age Sword
Acinaces
Pulwar
Shamshir
Kilij
Xiphos
Makhaira
Kopis
Celtic Sword
Harpe
Viking Sword
Gladius
Hiatus Update

Ida Sword

408 0 0
By MikuChan2468

The Ida is a kind of sword used by the Yoruba people of West Africa. It is a long sword with a narrow to wide blade and sheathe. The sword is sharp, and cuts on contact but typically begins to dull if not sharpened regularly. It can be single-edged or double-edged. These blades are typically heavier by the tip of the blade.

During wars, pepper and poison are added to it to paralyze anyone who is cut by the sword. It can be wielded in any way (either one-handed or two-handed). The Yoruba people use this sword for hunting, war and other uses. The blade of the sword is in an elongated leaf-shaped form. It is designed for cutting and hacking.

The Yoruba blacksmiths were among the most skilled in West Africa. They employed different techniques in the making of these Ida swords. They were involved in the mining and smelting of iron ore before 800 A.D. This style of sword was also sometimes used by other surrounding peoples such as the Bini and the Igbo.

There were many other variations of the Ida. The Yoruba also used many other bladed-weapons.

Some of them were;

Ada—Used for clearing brush, fighting, or hunting. It is similar to a cutlass or machete.
Obe—Daggers carried by the Yoruba soldiers.
Agedengbe—Single-bladed and eccentrically curved. Also quite heavy.
Tanmogayi—Similar to the sabre.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4 0 1
want to read some more about star wars, specifically about the Jedi and the sith? Here is a guide to their origins, structure, weapons, powers, among...
63 5 5
When a man meets a woman everything might change or everything might stay the same. This is a story in which a man meets a woman and everything chang...
16.7K 1K 6
(Fantasy Adventure) The Kobold are coming. As the tide of Gathering Dark threatens not only the elves, but the dwarves, and shattered remnants of the...
91 1 22
A story that sits part of a larger tale. Please look at the other tales, mine and John Trevellian's. These tales all happen during the same period an...