The Wallflower and the Pranks...

MakeMeSwoon tarafından

It started with a prank and a kiss. Alazne 'Alana' Martina is a self-proclaimed wallflower. So it surprises h... Daha Fazla

Author's Note
Extra: The Unofficial Soundtrack
Chapter One: How It All Began
Chapter Two: Snow Shoveling Job and Snowboarding
Chapter Three: Another Guest, Sara
Chapter Four: Sleep Over
Chapter Five: Wake Up, Darling! It's Time to Shovel
Chapter Six: Candy Grams
Chapter Seven: The Dance
Chapter Eight: Caught Between a Gun and a Girl
Chapter Ten: Hidden
Chapter Eleven: Transfer
Chapter Twelve: Nutella Popcorn and Tears
Chapter Thirteen: Broken Telephone
Chapter Fourteen: The Difference Between Right and Being Josh
Chapter Fifteen: Awkward Interactions with Emotions
Chapter Sixteen: The Birthday Girl's Fool | Part 1
Chapter Seventeen: The Birthday Girl's Fool | Part 2
Chapter Eighteen: Movies, Baits and Confusion
A/N : The Other Chick and the Wingman ((coming soon))
Chapter Nineteen: Resolution Between Like and Love
Chapter Twenty: Back to Day Zero | Part 1
Chapter Twenty-One: Back to Day Zero | Part 2
Chapter Twenty-Two: Aces Up | Part 1
Chapter Twenty-Three | Aces Up | Part 2
Chapter Twenty-Four: Kisses and Jaw Breakers
Chapter Twenty-Five: The Prankster's Confession
Chapter Twenty-Six: the Wallflower's Problem
Chapter Twenty-Seven: Scared, Rejected, and Dejected
Chapter Twenty-Eight: Pushing and Pulling
Chapter Twenty-Nine: Broken but not Gone
Chapter Thirty: Love Diagnoses and to be a Man
Chapter Thirty-One: a Reason to Love
Chapter Thirty-Two: Connecting Futures
Chapter Thirty-Three: the Boy with the Smile
Epilogue: Future Promises

Chapter Nine: The Plan

48.8K 1.7K 134
MakeMeSwoon tarafından

This is a note to all my readers that I am really grateful you read this far. :)

Okay, this is probably the first chapter I'll edit in my second draft. Not joking. I am not proud of this chapter as my previous ones, since I am having a bit of a writer's block. Be patient because I promise you, after this chapter, things will get interesting.

Enjoy...

__________________________________________________________________________

Alazne

My mother yielded me in a hug, when the police finally finished their protocol check-up. “I should have never let you go to the dance. It’s bad news,” she told me.  I didn’t answer her, still unnerved by how I freaked out on Josh. We were both captured, and we escaped. I should have been in pure glee and ready to celebrate, instead I acted like a jerk and dumped the whole blame-bomb on him as soon as we were safe. I tightened my arms around my mother.

          “What have you done this time, Josh?” Eve tone rang with authority. “Did you even think of those risks?”

          “And the lawsuits?” John added. I pulled away from my mom, and the corner of my eyes peered at Josh’s siblings.  They looked a mess from their usual selves, their hair was tousled, and clothes were rumpled like they ran to the police the moment they got the call. Where were his parents?

          “You need anything?” My mother asked, breaking out of my arms. She cupped my cheeks. “A drink, maybe chips or something? Your dad will make a quick stop.”

          I shook my head. “Water is fine.”

          “Okay. I’ll be right back. ” My mother patted my back before she paced down the hallway and disappeared from my vision. I took a seat down on the worn-down chairs at the police office. It smelt like minty with a side of a donut. The walls were plastered up with diplomas and awards. Everything about this office screamed: the best. Some officers walked by me, giving me a quick look. They mainly focused their attention at Josh’s family, some even approached them, asking about how Josh was doing. I frowned at their reaction to me; they all just brushed me off and swarmed around the other victim.  Josh must really enjoy that attention. I smirked, catching the eyes of Josh. 

          Josh patted a police officer on his shoulder, and walked in my direction, sliding on a chair beside me. “Long night, huh Alana?” I didn’t answer him, too annoyed at how he thinks I can forgive him like that. He got me kidnapped—I knew it wasn’t a hundred percent his fault, it just felt better blaming someone else. “Look. I’m sorry. I didn’t mean for all this to get out of control. Rain check?” He rubbed he back of his neck. I was an idiot for starting at him; his blonde hair was tousled around and how big his puppy-dog eyes were. Ugh…

          I shrugged, dismissing the conversation, then  I rested my cheek on my propped up hand on the armrest.

          “Is that a yes?”

          “I really could care less,” I said, dully. Gosh, I sounded like a idiot saying that. Couldn’t I think of something more clever to say? 

          “Yoloo,” Josh chanted, an image of Josh’s smile played in my head.  I reciprocated his positive energy, when the lips of my lips curled.

          “What does that mean?” My face flustered at my attempt to start a conversation. “Yolo. I mean.” I turned and admired Josh’s facial expression. His brows rose, and his mouth widened at my question. Clearing his throat he said:

          “It’s an abbreviation. It stands for: You only live once.”

          “Nice,” I blurted, saying ‘nice’ was such a Josh move, I glared down at my shoes. Flipping my hair, I restated. “It suits you.”

          “I figured you’d say that.”

          “Am I that predictable?” I joked.

          “Your nothing close to predictable, Alana. You should have seen yourself taking down the guys. It was brilliant. Where’d you learn that?”

          “My dad signed me up for karate. In case things like this happen,” I explained.

          “Smart dad you have there.”

          “Thanks. Josh…” I paused, trying to figure out the right words. “When we were in the truck, you told me you were kidnapped before and that…” it was people who were upset at your family…I couldn’t get myself to say all that, when Josh’s eyes hardened.  “Never mind.”

          The corner of his lips twitched upward. “Don’t think too much on that. It was a moment of weakness, anything I say can’t be held liable.” He shrugged. “ It’s best not to listen to me.”

          I didn’t say anything. The reason being I didn’t want to sound like a fool or a wit in front of him. I exhaled. “I am sorry for yelling at you,” I muttered quietly.

          “No problem. I’m used to it.”

          “So if I were to yell at you right now, you wouldn’t care?”  My voice lightened a bit at my joke.

          “What’d I do?” He asked, alarmed by my question.

          “N-nothing it was just a—never mind.” I am socially-awkward. I mentally scowled myself at my lame joke telling skills.

          Silence distant us, and soon I found myself watching Josh’s sibling talking to the group of officers.  Eve eyes widened, and she nudged John.  John noticing her fear leant forward so she could whisper something in his ear. Then both of them stared at us.

          Was this a prank? Did Josh plan this from the beginning? My heart hammered in my chest. Was this all a joke? Please tell me it isn’t—wait I’d be a fool if this was a joke. Ugh! My head swarmed with theories as the crowd dismissed and Josh’s siblings approached us. They had a stern, neutral look plastered on their face.

          “How are you feeling, Alana?” Eve bobbed her head in my direction.

          “Good,” I squeaked, I cleared my throat. “Thanks for asking.” When they continued to stare at me, I began to blabber. “Nothing a good night’s sleep couldn’t fix. Since when you awake, you feel refreshed—not that it’s wrong not to feel refreshed or something. That is also completely normal,” I spoke fast. Slapping my cheek mildly with my hand, I smiled. “My mother will be back soon.”

          “That’s good.”

          “Though it won’t matter since you’ll be staying here for a while,” John muttered.

          “What do you mean? The cops said we can leave.”

          “He means that the criminals are still running and you might be endangered,” Eve explained. John excused himself and went into the office, leaving the three of us.

          Josh groaned inwardly, and covered his face with his hands. “This is impossible.” Removing his hands, he stood up.

          “Where are you going?”

          “I’m going to call Sara and see if she is alright,” He said, walking away.

          Eve exhaled. “Don’t leave the building.” That left me and Eve alone. I let out a long out-take of breath, and leant back on my chair. “I apologize on Josh’s behalf. He is just going through a rough patch.”

          “Oh.”

          Eve must have taken it as a sign to continue. “He got kidnapped when he was kidnapped and taken as hostage for a ransom about four times. I figured it’d to a mental damage.” She sat down on the same seat the Josh sat in. “He must’ve been scarred.”

          I wanted to bring up what Josh told me, though I doubted he wanted me to share it so instead I waited for Eve to speak. He rubbed her forehead with her thumb and index finger. “I really don’t know what to do with him. It seems every time I turn my back, he is in trouble. Now with his future in stake I feel like it’ll break him apart.”

          “He’s a smart kid,” I said, in hope to comfort her.

          “He is,” she agreed. “Won prizes, medals— Everything. He could easily been better than both John and I combined.” A small smile drew on his face. ‘Of course, having a very successful family has it’s disadvantage.” She glanced down at the ground. “Like bullied, threats—neither I nor John really had a great childhood. In a way I envy Joshua for being so…outside the box. He has the childhood that John and I would dream about, of course without the guns and everything.” Her nose turned red, she quickly covered it. “Josh has always been a strong kid. He has dyslexia, you know. Not to mention a weak-heart. When he was little he would faint out in the most random times. We were told he’d grow out of it—and it thank goodness, he did.  Till this day we still don’t know the cause of it.”

          The information sowed inside my mind. Josh was dyslexic, weak-hearted? He seemed so perfect. I thinned my lips, unsure on how to reply.

          “The saddest thing is, his parents aren’t even around.” Eve let out a raspy respire. “When he was ten, he asked me when his parents would be back. Now this was before all the business conferences and things, when everything was simple. I replied that they were home. You know what he said: You know the parents that eat with us, take us to school, and tuck us in at night. When did it get so messed up? I apologize; I need to take a smoke. Excuse me.” My frown deepened, Eve was going for a smoke? Wasn’t she supposed to prevent smoking since she was a doctor? Then her words began to sink in on what kind of person Josh was. I never heard anything about him being dyslexic or his parents other than their success—gosh, I am such an idiot. I only saw what I wanted to see of him, not his weak side.

          I scowled at my shallowness, and leant on my chair. I stared into space, not knowing what else to do but wait. My mother would be back soon and my dad is coming, so nothing to worry about.

          “Alana, we need to speak with you,” A low voice told me, breaking me from my doziness. I grunted an answer. “This is urgent.”

          “Can’t this wait for my parents then?” I rubbed my eyes with my fist, trying to get rid of the sleep.

          “Your parents are already in the office. Everyone is.”

          “Fine,” I said, too tired to protest. Getting a grip of the armrest, I pulled myself up and followed the police officer. His uniform was nicely pressed, and his cap was tilted to the right.

          I wobbled a bit near the wall, and found a door opened for me.  I didn’t bother to thank the man—was too grumpy for that. Instead I just marched right in, found a chair and sat down, resting my head on the back.  

          Everyone in the room’s gaze was fixated on me, and I didn’t even care. “Alana,” my mother hissed. “Sit up properly.”

          I groaned an answer, and didn’t budge. I got kidnapped, at least you could is cut me a break. I’m so tired. “Alana, this is important,” my father told me. “Drink this.” He scooped forward and placed a cool metal object on my lap. Opening it to see an energy drink, I popped it open and began to chug it down.  My father’s brown eyes met mine when I finally put my drink down. “Better?” I bobbed my head.  He went back to his seat, side his wife on the other side of the room.

          Someone cleared their throat, maybe it was John. “Should we get back to our discussion now?”

          “Alana, we have discussed yours and Joshua’s situation and we think it is best that we keep you as far away from here until we catch the fugitives,” the chief announced, her hands were relaxed on her desk.

          The words sunk in. “What? You mean like witness protection?”

          “Yes, that is very similar except you will still be in contact with your family and no one else.”

          “Why? I mean you guys are looking for them? Why not body guards?”

          “We have discussed those; however we find them too risky. Those men can go after you and Josh and having those will be like beacons. Alana, these guys are part of a powerful group. We think it is best that you two are in a safety zone.”

          I turned to my parents for answers, questioning their choice.  They both looked at me, giving me their stern face that told me there was no going back. “So I have a new identity?”

          “Joshua will. The men haven’t confirmed your personality, unlike Joshua which gives you an advantage. I promise that we will do everything in our power to bring them to justice and bring you home safely. We’ll prepare you for multiple situations.”

          “I still don’t get it. Why am I a part of this?”

          “Alazne, you took down two of their men. Without a doubt, they will go after you.”

          I froze at the woman’s words. This would have never happened if I agreed to join the stupid hide and seek game, and prevented it. “Whatever,” I said, which meant: I am pissed off at the world, and that I’ll hide away like a coward.

Okumaya devam et

Bunları da Beğeneceksin

97.4K 1.8K 20
Josh and Katie have been best friends since he first moved nextdoor midway through freshman year. They were attached to the hip and acted like they'v...
1.2M 43.9K 42
"Take a picture it will last longer, Princess." His green orbs meet my brown ones. I cock my head to the side innocently. "Portrait or landscape?" ...
3M 100K 40
Grace Holland was never the kind of girl to consider payback. Until one Friday night when she makes possibly the biggest mistake of her life: she ge...
34.8K 819 46
This is a sequel, so read "Dating a YouTuber?!" first. I wholeheartedly loved and trusted Nate despite having known him less than a year. I had a mil...