Dancing On The Edge Of A Knife

By Devilsmom

When Ester Celeste finally used that coupon for free dance lessons with the famous Sierra Stone, she did not... More

1. Prologue
2. Entrance
3. Disgusting
4. Ride
5. Evil
6. Bottle
7. Restaurant
8. Liquid
9. Dancing
10. Seduction
11. Tango
12. Scary
13. Call
14. Loneliness
15. Realization
16. Roses
17. Text
18. Beach House
19. Tears
20. Apologies
22. Start
23. Rocks
24. Confusion
25. Lingerie
26. Change
27. Insight
28. Coffee
29. Blocked
30. Argument
31. Friend
32. Advice
33. Water
34. Wine
35. Family
36. Night
37. Reality
38. Okay
39. Talk
40. Blind
41. Date
42. Shock
43. Heartless
44. Second
45. Fine
46. Walls
47. Crowded
48. Terrace
49. Epilogue
50. Epilogue pt.2
Projects

21. Off

6.7K 264 12
By Devilsmom

Jake Hayes was a handsome man, Ester had to admit. They've become great friends over the past few weeks. He even asked her out a few days ago. But she declined, knowing she'd never go for someone like him.

He was cute, yes. But he openly told her he was bisexual and Ester found that reason enough to stay friends. She wasn't really into him in the first place, so she didn't even want to try and look past his sexuality. She had nothing against bisexuality, but she always liked masculine men. And Jake seemed to be more on the feminine side, with the way he walked and giggled sometimes.

The girl he was with the first time Ester met him at Sierra's dance class, was his girlfriend. Yes, was. They broke up the day before Jake asked Ester to dance. He even told her the exact reason. Apparently they both weren't feeling it anymore, so it was a mutual break up.

It was weird for Ester to hear him talk that casually about his personal business. Another reason why she wasn't really attracted to him. She preferred men that could keep secrets and were mysterious. Not ones that wore their heart on their sleeves.

Besides that, it irritated her to see how a couple could fall out of love like that. To hear Jake talk about how they both started distancing themselves from one another. Sure, Ester never even had a real boyfriend but she knew she could never be able to just fall out of love like that. At least, she hoped that would never happen to her. She had enough time to pray for that last week when she was sick in bed, trying to figure out who her admirer was.

So, yes Jake Hayes was a man that recently stepped into her life. And because of that, he was also a possible candidate for being her secret admirer. She personally didn't doubt him as much as Devon, but she really wished it wasn't him.

Like she said, they've become good friends over the weeks. And even now when she was looking into his eyes, listening to what he was currently saying, she couldn't get it out of her mind. Was it him? Could Jake really be it?

"Ester?" His face frowned down at her. Ester mentally shook her head and smiled up at him.
"Yes?" She asked him, blinking.
"Are you okay?" He asked her, looking concerned.

"Yes, sure. I'm sorry. I was just thinking about work and such. What were you saying?" She asked him.
"Oh, I was just telling you what you missed last week." Jake said and then continued talking.

Ester tried her best to at least look interested in his words as her mind drifted off again. Something about it being him just didn't seem right at all. Her secret admirer texted way differently than Jake talked.

But maybe that was just part of the plan. To throw her off and not suspect him. She didn't take Jake as an idiot. He'd definitely be smart enough to think about changing his way after he obviously saw Ester wasn't into him at first.

And she's still not into him. But she's starting to like the man she was texting with. He was so respectful and really wanted to hear how she felt every day. And he wouldn't accept short answers, which only made her feel even more special.

And when she was sick, he sent her chocolate and more roses. This time, they were white. Olivia then told her it was getting serious and that she had to ask for a meeting. The first time she'd see him in real life.

But she was afraid. Excited, yes. But afraid too. And so far, her fear was overweighing her excitement. So she never asked him for a meeting. She has been dropping hints for a while now though.

"And then she puked on me." Jake sighed.
"Really?" Ester figured she had to respond every now and then too.
"Yeah, babies just hate me for some reason." He gave her a pout and Ester wondered when the heck he started talking about babies.

She was about to say something when she heard clapping around her and looked towards the center of the ballroom, where Sierra was standing. Ester and her had texted and called each other during the week she was sick.

So it was no surprise to Sierra to see her friend stand next to Jake. But what did surprise her was the fact that Ester didn't even notice Devon in the room. All Ester did was wave at Sierra and then look back at Jake. They seemed to have an interesting conversation.

When Sierra looked back at her brother she saw his jaw clenched while his eyes were narrowed at the pair only a few meters away from him. Sierra felt herself frown. He looked angry. Was it possible that Devon was jealous? But he told her he didn't like Ester. Maybe he didn't even know it himself, Sierra's eyes widened.

No, he'd know. He's a grown man and if he says he doesn't like Ester, he doesn't. Sierra shook her head and glanced back at Ester and Jake who had yet to notice the pair of eyes on them. But Sierra soon looked towards the door when she heard it open and then close loudly. She looked back to where her brother was standing just a second ago and saw he was gone.

"God damn it." She hissed under her breath and glanced back at Ester who frowned at the door in wonder and then looked at Sierra with her eyebrow raised as if asking 'what the heck was that?'.

Sierra simply shrugged as if she didn't know and then eventually started her lesson.
.
.
.

Ester glanced around the table at Martha and then at Sierra. They were really quiet today.

She'd actually thought after one week of not eating together, they'd have a lot to tell. But the whole evening seemed a little off. Sierra made multiple mistakes while showing them the new choreography. And when Ester asked her if everything was okay, she snapped at her. But immediately apologized after, saying she didn't get much sleep last night.

And Ester believed her. Looking at Martha now, she also seemed to have noticed her daughter's foul mood as she glanced at Ester, indicating her to say something. But Ester simply widened her eyes and shook her head quickly. She didn't feel like getting snapped at again. So Martha rolled her eyes and then cleared her throat.

"So, Ester. Have you and my son thought about what dance you're going to perform at my wedding yet?" Oh joy, Ester thought sarcastically. She actually already forgot about that.
"Well, about that-"

"They're obviously dancing the tango. There's no better dance for them, mom. You'll love it." Sierra interrupted, finally acting like her normal self. Martha visibly brightened up and Ester wasn't sure if it was because Sierra finally said something or because of the choice of dance she declared.

"Oh, splendid! Did you know that the tango is one of my favourite dances, dear?" Martha asked Ester, who smiled.
"No." She answered, glancing at Sierra and catching her friend look at her. Sierra's eyes widened and she quickly averted them when she realized Ester caught her looking.

Ester frowned. What was up with her? But she willed herself to look back at Martha and listen to her next words.
"It was by far the best dance my boy has ever danced. He was a natural- is a natural. Is he not, Sierra?" Martha asked her daughter, who nodded.

"Partially. I was the one who showed him the steps and all, don't forget." Sierra lifted her finger and Martha nodded.
"Of course. He hated you for making him dance with you. But he secretly loved it, I know that." Martha said.

"Are you guys talking about Devon?" Ester could hardly wrap her mind around it. Devon dancing when he was younger? It would explain why he was so good at every single dance they learned in ballroom.

"Yes, my brother. Why? Do you think he's not capable of loving something?" Came Sierra's response, making Ester blink and her mother frown at her.
"I- no. I mean, I just-" Ester started but Sierra interrupted her.

"I can't blame you, really. I didn't even know he was capable of love. Strange to say the words Devon and love in one sentence." Sierra scoffed.
"Sierra!" Martha snapped at her daughter, which seemed to bring her out of wherever the heck Sierra was in that moment, as she blinked furiously.

"I'm sorry. I don't know what came over me. Of course, he's amazing. Devon is amazing. I just- I'm sorry. I just need to use the restroom real quick. Be right back." Sierra said and the two other women looked at each other, utterly confused.

"Did something happen today? At ballroom?" Martha asked Ester, who shrugged.
"Well, she did seem a little distracted in ballroom. But nothing really happened. Something must've occurred before dance class." She answered.

"Very odd, indeed. I just hope she's okay." Martha sighed, looking at the direction her daughter went. Ester nodded and looked towards the same direction.

"I hope so too." She muttered.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

92.9K 1.4K 15
He brought his hands up and tucked my hair behind my ear. coming closer to my ear "Do i arouse you?" he whispered, making my knees weak "I can feel...
6.3K 235 89
Stephanie Walker, A-straight student, sweet,pretty and every parent's dream. What happens when her simple life clashes with the golden boy at her se...
3.1M 77K 37
Jade Stone and Blaze Daniels used to be bestfriends from the age of 3 to 15. In Freshman year Blaze realised that he had the potential to become more...
759K 14.8K 31
Warning ⚠️ I wrote this book when I was 13, you have been warned I walked up to her and pushed her to my chest. "I think you should stop flirting wi...