Runaway Dad (Under Revision)

By heiressywrites

Kent Verano and Gabriella Montanes made a mistake at a young age. Kent will be a runaway dad not just with on... More

Synopsis
ONT 1
ONT 2
ONS 3
ONS 4
ONS 5
ONT 6 (CHARACTERS)
ONS 7
ONS 8
ONS 9
ONS 10
ONS 11
ONS 12
ONS 13
ONS 14
ONS 15
ONS 16
ONS 17
ONS 18
ONS 19
ONS 20
ONS 21
ONS 22
ONS 23
ONS 24
ONS 25
ONS 26
ONS 27
ONS 28
ONS 30
ONS 31
ONS 32
ONS 33
ONS 34
ONS 35
ONS 36
ONS 37
ONS 38
ONS The Wedding
ONS 39
ONS 40

ONS 29

3.9K 103 7
By heiressywrites

***

K E N T

I got home at four a.m., exhausted but happy to see the love of my life, sleeping together with the kids; something I never expected to happen, but it did.

I was just staring at them, leaning against my doors, beaming from ear to ear as I watched them sleep peacefully. Callie is hugging her mom, while Finn is sleeping on her back. Rylan's left foot was on her mom's back, facing Dylan, who was sleeping alongside him.

I never imagined this day would come, my prayers have been sent and granted. Hindi pa nga lang natutupad ang panalangin ko na sana pang habang buhay ang samahan na ganito, but who knows. Ayokong pangunahan, I was just grateful that these little things are finally happening.

I carefully closed the door and went to the kitchen to prepare their breakfast. I informed Hens that I'll be late today. I called Shane and told her that she must go to Kirstine to check her head. I was really mad when she told me what happened, but the image of Gabriella with the kids this morning helps to ease the anger to our children.

My children are well-known to me. They have some misunderstandings, but they haven't gotten to the point of fist fights or physical violence. Kaya nang malaman ko ang nangyari kagabi, I was shocked and frustrated.

I cooked their breakfast and had my morning coffee. I opened all our curtains in the living room; which I rarely do, and waited for the sun to rise. I heated Dylan's food, and prepared the table.

"Hi."

I was startled when she talked behind me, she chuckled while wiping her morning glory.

"Anong oras ka nakauwi?" She asked, her voice was kinda husky in the morning.

"Four AM." Tumingin ako sa wrist watch ko "It's six, do you usually wake up at this time?"

Umiling siya at tumawa saka dumiretso sa coffee maker "Nahh, I usually wake up late but then I was woken up by the smell of bacon's."

I smiled and sat on one of the chairs "Thank you, thank you for staying."

"Of course, boss." She said, rolling her eyes at me which made both of us laugh.

She sat on a chair in front of me and sipped her coffee "Uggh, why does the coffee here taste good?" She asked "Oh! By the way, I borrowed your shirt."

"Sure, you can use all my clothes if you want next time."

It was a normal talk, and she told me about what happened yesterday. She was quite amazed how my kids behaved and knew what to do discipling theirselves.

"Thinking chair was my wife's idea. I applied it when they were little. They'd face the wall and reflect." I said "When they get older sabi ko, sitting isn't enough. So I upgraded it, I let them stand."

Her laugh was contagious, and she was so cute. Uggh, I can't stand sitting on my chair, looking at this gorgeous laughing woman in front of me. Her face was becoming red due to laughing.

"You are such a mean daddy."

"Nope, I did that because it should be done by that."

She nodded "But you told me it's your wife's idea, 'my wife'.. So you're married to her?"

Oh my goodness, this woman. I'm not sure how I'm going to keep it from her if she keeps asking questions. My mind told me not to say it, but my heart screamed YES!

"Yeah, we're actually married." I said "I'm not gonna lie, and you'll be surprised if I told you this."

"Why? Is this some kind of a movie like The Vow? Where they were secretly married and the girl had amnesia and they were the only ones who knew they were married?!" She said non-stop and laughed at herself but then her expression changed when she knew something was off as I nodded at her.

"No, no way." She said and put her cup down "Oh my God, don't tell me..."

My heart beat so fast I couldn't even breathe properly as I watched her stuck on her seat, looking down as if realizing everything.

"Don't tell me that's one of your favorite movies?!!"

I coughed in response to what she said, and my lungs opened up as if I had been cured of a great illness, as my breath recovered from the thought of her finally getting the point and climax of our love story.

"We have so much in common! Oh no, I really love that movie. Parang ako nga yung naandon eh, I was like... I was sad and I feel like there's something lacking in my life that I can't explain. You know, I have an amnesia too, it was really really devastating to not regain everything."

I never knew she would be this numb, and chatty. I was just enjoying everything she bubbled out about. Akala ko nag bago na siya, but I think she's now comfortable around me, that's why her madaldal trait is back.

"Good morning mom and dad!" Callie said as she entered the kitchen "Oops, my bad Tita Gab."

"It's okay." Gab smiled and brushed her hair.

Our morning conversation was stopped by these little rascals.

The usual routine, we had breakfast together and they prepared their things for school. I told the kids that I'll pass for the meantime the commotion happened yesterday and will get back to it once they're home.

"Do you want me to drive them to school? Para makapag pahinga ka at makatulog. Wala ka pang maayos na tulog ha."

"Oo nga daddy!" Sambit ni Callie.

"Ikaw ba? You're not ready yet." Pointing at her clothes, as she's not been going to her condo to prepare herself.

"I managed my time, and my morning is mine. I can do what I want."

I shrugged "Okay, that sounds good to me. Thank you."

She winked and laughed "Anytime, boss."

The kids went with her and I was left here, crazily smiling. How the hell her impact on me was still the same. I am crazy, crazy about her.

***

S E N I O R I T O    R E Y M O N D

"Seniorito.."

Pumasok ang alalay ko sa kwarto kung saan ako nagpapahinga pagkatapos kong mag basa ng bible sa prayer room. Kasunod niya ang asawa ko na may pag aalala sa mukha.

"Hugo, kung masamang balita lang naman ang sasabihin mo sa Senior mo, wag mo na ituloy, kailangan niyang mag pahinga." Aniya ng asawa ko.

Nagdadalawang isip ang tauhan ko kaya tumango ako sa kanya para sabihin ang dala niyang balita.

"May binabalak po na masama si Sir William kay Kent."

"Hugo! Ano ang pinagsasabi mo?!" Sigaw ng asawa ko.

Lumapit sa akin si Hugo at inilahad ang mga litrato na hawak niya. Nakita ko ang anak kong pumasok sa isang hotel dito sa Manila, at ang isang clear shot galing sa malayo na magkausap sila ng kapatid ni Maverick.

"Hango po sa isa sa mga tauhan, ipapapatay po si Kent, Senorito. Hindi raw 'ho idadamay ang mga bata. May komisyon pong makukuha si Sir Chris sa pagpaslang kay Kent."

Tila kumirot ang dibdib ko sa narinig at napahawak sa aking dibdib "Mahal!"

"Okay lang ako." Aniya sa asawa kong nag-aalala na lumapit sa akin "Hugo, bantayan ang mga bata. Kung maaari ay dumagdag ka ng tauhan. Ayokong may mangyari sa kanilang masama kahit pa walang binabalak sa kanila si William. Ipapaalam ko ito kay Kent..."

"You never disappoint me... dad..."

Napalingon ako sa boses ng anak kong pumasok sa loob ng kwarto.

"William!" Lumapit ang asawa ko dito na tila sasampalin pero hindi natuloy dahil sa pag sangga niya sa kamay nito.

"Really mom?"

Napahawak ako sa dibdib at napapikit sa kirot na nadarama. Tila hindi ako makahinga. Lumapit sa akin si Hugo at nagpatulong akong tumayo "W-william."

Narinig ko ang isang pag putok ng baril. Nanlaki ang mata ko at naramdaman ang dahan-dahang pag hiwalay ng gabay na kamay sa akin ni Hugo at ang bulagta niya sa sahig.

"S-senior..."

Naninigas ang aking katawan, at napahawak sa aking dibdib. Napasandal ako sa upuan, hanggang sa kisame na lamang ang aking nakikita.

"Reymond! Reymond!"

Iyak ng aking mahal na asawa...

***

G A B R I E L L A

I was in the office when I heard the news about dad. I was in shock, and in pain. I didn't expect something would happen to them, especially a burglar coming into our house. We have high security on the line, and dad has a lot of men. So I don't know why this would happen.

"Gabby! He'll be fine... he'll be fine.. Relax." Miley picked me up in the office as I cannot drive on the way to the hospital. She's nearby and offers to drive. Kanina pa ako umiiyak and my eyes were already red and swollen.

"Our tito and tita's will be there, kuya Francis and others are on their way."

Good thing that the ambulance was fast and they said that dad was not dead on arrival. He was sent to VerMont Hospital. Ate Carmina's in San Agustin and she'll fly immediately with her family. Ate Armina on the other hand is on her way too. We were both crying when mom called us.

When Miley parked the car, I ran towards the entrance and found the name of my dad. They said he was in the ICU. I ran as fast as I could until I reached mom... and

"Kuya?" I asked, making sure if he was since my eyes were blurry because of the tears.

"Gabby." He hugged me and I bawled in his chest "Kuya si dad... Is he.. Is he okay?"

"Doctors said they'll run some tests. He's..inside."

Pumunta ako kay mommy na tulalang nakatingin sa amin. I let her sit on one of the benches, and I hugged her. She was silently crying, and was looking on the floor. She's shaking and I think it's the trauma.

"What happened?" I asked kuya.

He looked at mom first and sighs "Thieves...Nakalusot sila sa security, they were very skilled.." He can't talk, and I could feel the worry in his eyes.

"How's..how's everybody? May mga nasaktan ba?"

"Only... only Hugo who was with dad the moment they came into the room."

"How is he?" I asked.

"He's in a critical condition."

My hands were shaking as I covered my mouth. Mom who's beside me, wails into tears. Miley guided us while crying. Oh my god.

The police came, and my kuya went with them. Mommy, who was shaking beside me, held my hand while shaking her head. I asked her why, but she couldn't say anything. I didn't want to force her, so I asked the nurse if they could help my mother get to one of the hospital beds to rest. Miley accompanied her, and I was the only one left outside the ICU. My eyes searched for dad in the glass window, and I saw him being assisted by the medical team. He's wearing oxygen and looking pale. My eyes went blurry again.

"Gabriella!"

When I turned to face the person who had shouted my name, I saw Kent sprinting towards me. I couldn't help myself and ran up to him, hugging him as he opened his arms. 

"Kent... Kent please... Please tell Tito to save my dad.. Please.. Please save my dad. Please give us the best doctors here..."

"Shh, Gab... calm down first.. Please." As he hugged me tighter. I somehow found comfort in him, a warm feeling that a person like me should be grateful for in this  moment.

I cried in his arms for I don't know how long, we just stood there while hugging each other. He calmed me down and we walked towards the ICU. He checked my father's condition by looking at the glass window "He'll be fine, I know these doctors and I already contacted Kirk about your father. He's in surgery so he'll attend to your father once he's done."

My relatives came and some of them were pleased to see Kent. I saw Tito Kenji walking towards us. He asked if we were okay and then requested for a lab gown so he could enter the ICU. We were just looking what's happening inside. The doctors were talking and looking at the tests, some were putting apparatus on my dad.

"Your father will be okay, let's pray." Kent said and faced me "The visitors are adding up, I'll leave you here okay? Call me anytime. I am one call away."

I nodded and hugged him before leaving. My eyes followed him, until I felt someone tapped my back "Why is he here?" Ate Armina asked, her eyes were puffy too.

"He..I asked him to call these doctors so that Dad could receive the best possible care." I said, even though I didn't. I don't want them to think of other meaning.

The doctors together with Tito Kenji went outside to meet us, and they were quite surprised seeing us all outside the ICU "Where's your mom?" Tito Kenji asked me.

"She's resting Tito, she was shocked about what happened." I answered and he nodded "I'll check on her once we're done here." He said and nodded at one of the doctors.

"I am Mr. Guevarra, a lung specialist and the current and attending doctor of your father Mr. Montanes. We didn't expect this to happen so fast.."

Napakunot noo ako sa sinabi niya, waring kami lahat at nagambala sa sinabi niya "You're expecting? Wait Doc, we don't understand."

Tila nagkatinginan ang mga Doctor at parang nakuha ko na ang ibig nilang sabihin. They knew something's wrong with him. We all gasped as if we already knew what they meant. I felt ate Armina's grip in my hand.

"We shouldn't tell you this because he stated he'd be the one to disclose his condition, but your father was diagnosed with stage two lung cancer two months ago.."

I covered my mouth in shock and my tears began to fall. Some of us started weeping and crying. We were stuck in our place.

"He avoided medications. He said he can live with it. We have given him a year to live because of his decision. He even signed a DNR."

"Oh my God."

"We shouldn't be the one to tell you this but he's in a coma. We had no idea when he'd wake up, but we're doing our best to look after him. We are currently conducting another test to determine what stage he is in." The doctor sighed "Mr. Alvarez will tell you more about his heart state."

It's too much to take in. Our ears and eyes were tired from hearing about all of his health problems. They even explained why our father had lost so much weight. Tito Kenji excused me for a minute after they finished explaining everything. He reassured me by hugging me and saying nice things about my father.

"I have requested if your dad can move to a private room where all his needs can be given. They'll transfer him once the tests are out."

"By the way iha. Your mother knew about this. She has kept it well so you all shouldn't be worried. At first she was reluctant, but she obeyed your dad's words and favor. Take care of your mother; she desperately needs you to help her confront this battle."

I thanked him for everything he has done for us today. Kuya Peter and Francis advised the oldies to rest first in our residence. Gusto sanang mag stay ng iba pero hindi na pina-stay ni ate Armina dahil marami pa rin kami para i-accommodate ng hospital. Halos wala nang madaanan ang mga tao sa hallway kanina because of us. Ate Armina and Frances were the ones who stayed.

My body was weak due to all these revelations and stress. Napaupo nalamang ako at napayuko. I don't know what to do anymore.

***

I was awakened by the tapping on my shoulder. It was ate Armina "Wake up Gabby, dad is transferred to one of the private rooms."

Sabay kaming pumunta sa private room, at doon namin nakita si daddy, katabi ang mommy na nakahawak sa kamay niya. As much as I wanted to cry seeing this scene, my eyes were tired. Wala na ata akong iiiyak pa. We just went beside him and kissed him. His eyes were closed and is supported by oxygen.

Ate Armina and I said that we will not confront mom about keeping it from us. Sa aming lahat, siya ang nahihirapan.

"Frances and Miley went to your condo to get some clothes. Ate Carmina will be here in any minute."

I just nodded and looked at my watch. It was already night. I looked at my phone and saw a lot of missed calls from Maverick.

I dialed his number waiting for him to pick it up. When he answered, I heard a loud sound in his background "Babe?"

["Finally! You have answered!"]

My eyebrows furrowed and checked the contact name once again. I am calling the right person.

"Where are you?" I asked, composed. I went outside the room.

["I.. I am with one of the Chinese investors... at one of the best clubs here in Manila! Hey babe! Bakit ngayon ka lang sumagot?!"]

"Are you drunk Maverick?" I asked, calmly, biting my lip as I was stopping myself from getting angry and emotional.

["Nahh, I'm not! Whoooo! Tara na kasi....let's dance! Babe.. why? Why didn't you answer my calls?!"]  Nailayo ko ang phone sa tenga dahil sa pag sigaw niya.

A tear fell from my eyes "You...bastard..."

I heard a loud bang and laughter in his background. I even heard him cursing and cheering as if he's not on the phone with me.

["Babe! I'll.... I'll drop by your condo! I'll sleep there! Let's have a steamy night!!! I have missed you... your kiss.. Your body.. Your..."]

I ended the call and formed a fist. My tears began to fall again after my heart was wrenching in anger. Ngayon pa talaga?

"Gabriella."

"Kuya." I wiped my tears and smiled "How's the investigation?"

"Somehow complicated. All of the CCTV footage was down when they went inside the house. Tito Francis will be the one to take over." He said "How's dad?" He asked.

"He's in a coma.." I said and told him everything about his state and what the doctors told us. His reaction stayed the same, firm. But I can sense something in his face, the concern and guilt.

"Let's go inside.."

"No." He answered and shook his head "Go ahead."

"Kuya.."

"I can't face anyone right now." He said and cupped my face "Take care of mom. I'll do everything for you guys." He said as he walked away.

"Kuya! Where are you going?!"

He didn't budge or look at me. He was just walking away.

***

T H I R D  P E R S O N

"Do you think mommy would eat what we have ordered?" Rylan asked his siblings while sipping his juice.

"She'll probably eat it once she knows it was from us." Dylan answered him.

"Why is Tito Xavier taking so long?" Callie said "He's usually faster than this."

"Let's just wait. For sure he's making mommy's food deliciously."

Nasa loob ng restaurant ni Xavier ang mga bata. No school since it's the weekend, and they wanted to pay a visit to their lolo who's currently in the hospital. Their dad told them about it, and they wanted to do something special for their mom, lolo and lola. They haven't met their lola yet and Kent thought it was a good idea for the kids to cheer her up.

"It's done!" Xavier said and the kids stood up from their seats.

Napailing si Kent habang pinagmamasdan ang mga bata na papalapit sa kanila "Hindi naman halata na excited sila noh?" Natutuwang sabi ni Xavier.

"Hindi naman." Kent answered "Thank you Xavier. I'll tell Gabriella you made this food."

"No problem. Ikumusta mo nalang ako kuya at sabihing I am praying for her father's recovery."

"Sure will."

"Thank you the best Tito ever!" Callie said and kissed his cheeks. The boys hugged him and says goodbye.

Nang makarating sila sa hospital ay pumunta muna sila sa office ni Kirstine para ibigay ang ipinasuyo na dessert ni Xavier.

"Finally! The one I'm craving is finally here! Thanks kuya ha."

"No problem."

The kids roam around her office and start to talk about the figurines of brains and other stuff in her room.

"Tine, I have some favor to ask."

"What is it?" While chewing her food.

Napangisi na lamang si Kirstine sa pabor na hinihingi ng kuya niya.

"Okay, I'll call my friend."

Hawak kamay na pumunta sila Kent at ang mga bata sa private room kung nasaan ang lolo nila. He called Gabriella's phone first. Lumabas ito at nabigla nang makita ang mga bata. Pinagmasdan ng mga bata ang mga mata nitong namamaga, at tila nakikiramdam sa nararamdaman nito.

"Ohhhh, that looks, I know that!" She cheerfully said "I am fine kids. Come, come inside."

Nahuling pumasok si Kent. Nakita niya si Seniorita Isabel na nakatutok na nakatingin sa kanila. Lumapit siya rito at nag mano pero nabigla siyang yakapin siya nito.

"Oh God, thank god." She whispered and started crying. Tila nabigla si Gabriella sa reaction ng mommy niya kaya agad siyang tumungo rito "Mom.. are you okay? Why?" She asked.

Her mom sniffed and focused herself on the kids who were just standing in front of their lolo's bed. Tila hinahaplos niya ang mga ito, at nagpapasalamat sa hindi malamang dahilan ni Gabriella. The kids knew what to do as Kent advised them to be careful. Alam na ng lahat ni Senorita Isabel dahil sinabi na ito sa kanya ni Senorito Reymond. Kung hindi nga lang nangyari ang masamang pangyayari ay makikipag kita sila sa mga bata na kasama na siya.

The kids hugged her, and she accepted each and every hug. She cupped their faces, kissed them, ang pinched them.

"My mom is fond of kids." Gabriella said while smiling "Maybe she just misses her apo's."

Tumango na lamang si Kent at ibinigay ang lunch boxes na dala niya "Gab, it's been a week since he got hospitalized, kumakain ka ba ng maayos? You lost weight."

"I am eating on time, I was just busy on everything. We have an upcoming project, and I had to check on mom and dad from time to time." She said "I was actually hungry, thank you for this."

Naupo silang dalawa habang pinagmamasdan ang mga batang kinukumusta ang lolo nila. Gabriella couldn't hear anything the kids were saying kasi abala siya sa pakikipag usap kay Kent.

The kids were taking turns saying their hi to their lolo. Si Senorita Isabel naman ay naluluhang nasisiyahan sa mga apo niyang kasama nila ngayon.

"Lolo, please please wake up." Rylan whispered in his ears "We're here... your apo.. I am Rylan..."

"Lolo, it's me Didi."

"Lolo, I am Callie. I haven't met you but my kuya's told me a lot of good things about you... and I super duper like the dolls too!"

"Lolo, it's Finn." And he placed his hand on his chest "Your heart is beating well I guess, please...wake up."

Dylan went up to her lola Isabel "Nice to meet you lola..."

"Nice to meet you too apo ko." She said,and hugged him.

"Shhh, lola.. Mom might hear you, she doesn't know about anything yet." He said while whispering making Senorita Isabel laugh while sniffing.

Gabriella was relieved when she saw her mom smile and laugh for the first time after her dad was hospitalized. She was grateful for the kids.

"Thank you... thank you for bringing the kids here." She said, "I haven't seen mom smile like that."

"My kids are everyone's happy pills, remember?"

Gabriella chuckled "Indeed."

"Where's Maverick? Has he visited the hospital?" Tanong ni Kent. Nag bago ang expression bi Gabriella at pilit na ngumiti "He's... fine..He visited once."

"Nag away kayo?" Kent directly asked.

Tumango ito "Yeah. But it was resolved already." She answered "He's just busy but understandable. We all have our priorities."

Tumango nalang si Kent bilang sagot "Indeed we are."

Tumingin sa orasan si Kent "We'll go ahead. We'll leave you so you can eat with your mom."

"You sure? You can stay longer. Para maipakilala ko na din ang mga bata sa ate ko. She left kasi pinatawag siya ng doctor ni dad."

Umiling si Kent at ngumiti ng alanganin "It's okay, we have plenty of time to catch up."

The kids say goodbye to their lolo and lola. Senorita Isabel went to Kent and hugged him once again "Please.. Please be careful son.."

"Shhh Tita, I will. Please take care of yourself too. Eat a lot." Kent said and gathered the kids.

Dylan hugged her lola once again "Please eat a lot po. Our Tito made the food delicious so you could eat a lot. I will call mom--- tita Gab and check if you really ate it all."

"I will.. I will.."

"Please be strong po." Rylan hugged her too and kissed her cheeks "We'll pray po."

Callie and Finn did the same. Senorita Isabel was pleased to see them all today. Tila naluha sa saya si Gabriella dahil sa mga bata. She kissed them one by one until they left.

"Anak..." Senorita Isabel called Gabriella.

"Why mom?"

"I'm hungry."

Gabriella nodded and smiled, and took the food to her. She placed the table in front of her while sniffing. They ate together and finished everything Kent and the kids brought for them. The effect of the kids on her mother amazed her. Gabriella took a picture of her mom with their dad, and the empty lunch boxes. She sent it to Kent and Dylan after.

To be continued...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

29.2M 1M 69
From strangers to friends. From friends to close friends. From close friends to lovers. When Joey met Psalm, she didn't think that they'd ever be to...
15.2M 587K 48
(Game Series # 5) Lyana Isobel Laurel never wanted complication. She never dreamed of marrying into a wealthy family-a family that's way out of her l...
46.3M 1.4M 55
Blake Vitale was a mess. Alam niyang para siyang bomba na malapit nang sumabog. He can even hear the ticking of the clock in his head, the time bomb...
316K 9.7K 48
Nick & Van Even if we ended up apart, at least, for a while... you were mine.