Loyalty Or Honour (Book 3)

By randomthoughts96

The time has come for Hunter, the only illegitimate son of the late Lord Usani, to know the true meaning of f... More

Author's Note
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One
Chapter Thirty Two
Chapter Thirty Three
Chapter Thirty Four
Chapter Thirty Five
Chapter Thirty Six
Chapter Thirty Seven
Chapter Thirty Eight
Chapter Thirty Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty One
Chapter Forty Two
Chapter Forty Three
Chapter Forty Four
Chapter Forty Five
Important.
Chapter Forty Six
Chapter Forty Seven
Chapter Forty Eight
Chapter Forty Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty One
Chapter Fifty Two
Chapter Fifty Three
Author's Note
Family With Honour
Bear's story

Chapter Twenty Five

5.4K 472 54
By randomthoughts96

Vote ~ Comment ~ Enjoy!

The evening comes round quickly, the time of the ball arriving much quicker than they could believe. The last few accessories of gloves and earrings are hurriedly placed in position by Lady Arabella's ladies and they step back to admire their handiwork. Beatrice beams at Arabella's reflection in the mirror. Mary even looks impressed, her stern expression slightly softened. Alice however is a little too awestruck by the luxurious fabric and beautiful design of her own dress to appreciate Arabella's.

"You look simply divine!" Beatrice exclaims. And indeed she does. The pale yellow of her dress brightens her complexion and makes her liquid chocolate eyes shine bright. It hugs her waist and spans down to the floor, small diamonds dotting the fabric making it shimmer in the light. Tiny intricate designs in lace cover the bodice of the dress and then span up over bare skin to lightly cover the skin on her shoulders and down to her hands. Her hair is weaved with tiny yellow flowers that glow in her shiny black hair. Her jewellery is minimalistic. A fine silver necklace rests around her throat and small round diamonds glimmer on her ears. She looks every ounce the people's princess.

Arabella smiles warmly and glances at those she is quickly coming to think of as friends rather than just companions. Mary does not look much different than she usually does. However she has put in some effort for the evening and left behind the dreary grey dresses for one night. Her light green dress is still simple but it speaks of elegance and a correct young lady. Her hair is a little less severe than usual and she has acquiesced to Beatrice placing a few small pink flowers into her hair. It lightens her dark blonde hair a little.

Beatrice however seems to have forgotten that less can be more. Her dress is a little lower along the neckline than some would choose. But she stands with such confidence and surety, that no one would notice or comment on it. A deep maroon shade sits snugly against her pale porcelain skin. Fine gold detailing casts beautiful patterns all across the bodice then trails down sections of her skirt. She wears delicate black gloves with several rings giving her the appearance of a rich Lady. A gold necklace hangs around her neck and matching earrings hand from her ears. Gold painted leaves are weaved through her locks wrapped artfully around her head.

"You two look beautiful." Arabella states honestly. Beatrice grins and places a hand on her hip and poses.

"Well some of us still need to find husbands." Beatrice says. Mary rolls her eyes and gently moves a flower in Arabella's hair to make it perfect. "I wonder if I can catch a dance or two with those handsome guards of ours, perhaps even a kiss before I look for the man I will marry." She giggles until Alice glances up, one eyebrow raised in amusement but appearing more unimpressed. "Erm..."

Alice then laughs. "Well you will certainly catch many an eye tonight. Who knows what could happen?" She grimaces a little but it has put Beatrice at ease who so easily forgot that Alice was their little sister.

Arabella rises and holds her hands out to Alice. She stands and places her hands in Arabella's. The slightly elder one out of the two of them studies the younger. Madam Abraham has done exquisite work. The light powdery blue of the dress compliments Alice's eyes perfectly, her eyes appearing larger and bluer than the sky on a warm summer's day. It shows off her figure but still keeps her young innocence in mind with its modest design. The dark blue detailing is unique in its swirling pattern and draws most attention to her tiny waist where it weaves around in tight formation. The only other detailing is down the long sleeves down the outside.

Forget-me-nots are placed within the braids curled atop her head. A few loose ringlets hang down to frame her clear face. Arabella squeezes her hands, "I fear your brother will have a heart attack when he sees how amazing you look." Alice grins mischievously in response.

"Perfect." Alice pronounces and Beatrice sniggers, most unladylike. Mary appears shocked but if they looked close enough they would see the slight up tilt of her lips.

Arabella purses her lips at Alice's bare neck and ears. She drops her hands and opens her jewellery box. She roots around until she finds a fine silver chain that holds a heart. She finds the matching earrings and places them on the dressing table. She gestures for Alice to turn around and then she places the chain around Alice's neck so the heart settles against the dip between her collar bones. She also places the earrings in Alice's palm. "These will complete your outfit." She tells her. Alice obediently puts them on.

With Arabella leading the way they exit her bedchambers. Orion and Hunter stand by the door. Orion bows when he sees them all but Hunter is oblivious as he leans against the door, eyes closed. This gives Arabella a chance to notice how handsome he looks in his finery, the black material sliding over his muscles. He looks even darker and more mysterious than he usually does. A stirring of jealousy erupts in her stomach at the thought of other women noticing him. Glancing sideways she sees Beatrice's eyes watching him also. Arabella bites back sharp words knowing that she would be in the wrong to say anything. Her betrothed is not the man before her. Beatrice has every right to be interested in him.

"No compliments brother?" Alice cheekily enquires. Hunter's eyes open to reveal a swirling dark blue. Arabella feels her breath leave her lungs. Orion clenches his jaw and forces a smile. His little sister looks enchanting but as far as he is concerned that is a problem.

Hunter however, having spent less time being an overprotective sibling answers her. "You are beautiful, Alice." She smiles in response, her heart warmed by his sincere words. Orion makes a stifled sound of agreement. Hunter's eyes move across to Beatrice and Mary, "You all look beautiful." Orion chokes on his laughter at Hunter trying to be a gentleman. Then their eyes connect and no words can describe the beauty he sees before him. He swallows and forces his eyes away from her. Tonight will be much safer for the two of them if he can avoid her. No woman should be able to make him feel as if he is no longer in control.

"Are you ready?" Orion enquires politely.

The women incline their heads and so they all set off down the hall and downstairs towards the large hall decorated specially for the special event. There is no large important fanfare for their entrance as this is an evening to unite the masses. Instead the large oak doors are open to a room already brimming with people dressed in their absolute best. Alice gazes around in wonder, enchanted by the natural beauty of the room's architecture with the added splendour of the many fine dresses and suits.

"I shall be keeping an eye on you for protection, my Lady, however we shall give you your space to enjoy yourself tonight." Orion tells her as he bows then strides away. Hunter hovers for a moment, his eyes connecting with hers but then he too strides away after his brother. The amount of guards around the room guarantees her safety thus they do not need to be glued to her side. It is a curse as well as a relief.

Arabella smiles at Mary, Beatrice and Alice. "You heard him. I wish for us all to enjoy this evening. Do not feel as if you should remain by my side at all times. It is hardly necessary and it would please me greatly to see you having fun, whether that be dancing or conversing with the other guests." Beatrice embraces Arabella quickly before taking her at her word and gliding over to a group of young men with a richer class of clothing. Mary and Alice remain for the time being and they cross the room together to get refreshments.

While they are all taking measured sips of the punch a young man crosses the room and bows before them. Arabella raises an eyebrow at Mary and Alice to see if either of them knows him. Mary shakes her head subtly and Alice frowns slightly, having no clue who he may be. He is handsome and young with a winning smile as he rises. He extends his hand to Alice, "May I have this dance?"

Despite her strong words to her brother earlier she falters in answering. She shifts and searches for her brother in the crowd. She finally finds him and sees him watching her. Gathering strength from his warning look she smiles sweetly at the young man. "I would be delighted." She slips her hand into his and he leads her away into the many other couples who have chosen to start the evening off with a dance. They take up their positon almost at the centre. This is when Arabella chooses to glance over at the overprotective Orion to see his reaction. He is barely paying attention anymore, a small smile on his lips. Something tells her that this young man had been chosen rather than a surprise.

Lady Arabella then chooses to search for her betrothed. Her eyes scan the many people looking for his familiar blond hair and warm expression. There are plenty of young men with blond hair but they do not have the Crown Prince's warmth or light. He is not present. The promised first dance looks like it will not happen anymore. She takes another sip of her drink and plants a fake but altogether realistic looking smile on her lips. No other man will dare to dance with her until after her betrothed has. She hopes he will appear soon.

Another man strides towards them and sinks into a low bow in front of them. Arabella inclines her head to him. He rises and smiles widely at Mary who looks just a touch of alarmed. Arabella desperately fights the urge to giggle. No doubt Beatrice has already found a partner and it looks as if all her ladies will be dancing this first song. She just wishes she could join them. "Would you do me the honour of this first dance?" He asks politely, his voice rich and deep. His clothing however does not give the impression he is as rich of his voice. Arabella is sure she has seen him working around the castle.

Mary plasters a small smile on her face and inclines her head in agreement, but only after looking to Arabella for a way out. She received none. He takes her hand and they join the other couples just as the music starts up. Arabella smiles as she sees each of them, gliding around the room in perfect accompaniment to the beautiful, soaring music. She places her glass down and slowly walks the outskirts of the room. She spots Hunter ahead of her and heads his way. He will not know the unspoken rule that she cannot dance with anyone until after her fiancé. Hopefully this evening can be more interesting. Theodore may be delayed for hours.

"Mr North." Hunter grimaces as she speaks his name. He refuses to look her way. Arabella feels a tinge of guilt for putting both of them in this position but she simply wishes to dance. "I need a dance partner."

"I do not dance." Hunter quickly replies.

"You do not or will not?" She questions easily. Hunter's gaze which has been everywhere, but has of as yet refused to fasten on her, shifts. He stares straight at her. Tingles erupt up her spine and her cheeks colour without permission. However his blank stare gives nothing away.

"I cannot and that is all there is to say on the matter. Perhaps your Lady would be better off searching for a more eloquent and suitable partner to entice. I see Lord Dahil over there and he appears to be alone. I hear he is very close to your fiancée. I believe he would he be an intelligent choice." He had never spoken so many words within her presence let alone directed towards her in the last few days. For a moment it stumps her and she is at a lack of words to respond with. His tone had been brisk and clipped. Far too polite for how he appears at other times. How did he even know of Lord Dahil?

"Perhaps I should. Thank you for your excellent advice, Mr North." She drops into a barely there curtsey before swishing off with her skirts. 

The next chapter is going to be reintroducing a character we have met before...Can you guess who it may be? ;) So what are your thoughts on this chapter? And Hunter saying he does not dance, I am sure he has danced before :-)  

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

95 23 22
it tells to a Prince who disguise himself as a commoner to find the real traitor who killed his twin brother, he, then meet the noble girl disguises...
57.6K 2.7K 31
(Series) Lady Rose Hamilton the daughter of Duke Hamilton a well-known intimidating titled man but behind that cold ice face he didn't hide to love...
102K 3.5K 62
Trueborn son of Robert Baratheon and Cersei Lannister Sold to slavery Forced to become a warrior Willing to help Daenerys Targaryen claim her birthr...
4.9K 154 26
Tagalog/English "Paghihigantihan kita Allen Romuladez!" ito ang mga katagang binitawan ni Geraldine when she made the vow of ruining the man he despi...