After ✔

By rain9939

- PTBB #2 "Who the hell are you?" Valencia Morgan has dedicated two years of her life caring for the guy she... More

Foreword and Cast
01
02 | Dani
03
04
05
06
07
08 | Dani
09| Gabriella
10
11 | Dani
13
14
Ultimatum
15 | Dani
16
17
18
19 | Nate
20
21
23
24
26
27
28 | Dani
29
30
-
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
Epilogue
p l a y l i s t
A/N

22

7.6K 343 19
By rain9939

My phone rings, it's shrill sound piercing through the silence.

"Damn." Says Dani. "Who is that?"

We're currently in the hotel lobby, just heading up to our rooms. We lost track of time - it's already midnight.

I check the caller ID. "Gabriella." I frown.

"Hey, Gabi." I say after picking up. "What's up?"

"VALENCIA!" Her voice fills my ear. I hold the phone away, and Dani stares at me curiously.

"Gabriella, it's the middle of the night." I say slowly. "What's wrong?"

She takes a shaky breath. "I want you to come and live with me tomorrow."

"Huh?!"

A couple of people pass by, and Dani and I move to one side.

"Come over. Tomorrow." She repeats.

"Gabi, you know that's not possible." I tell her. "Dani and I are going back to our town in the morning."

"Delay it." She says. "Please. I can't handle my parents alone. They're just too much. And I would feel better with you there, and so would Mason. I know it."

I look up at Dani but his face is expressionless. "What about Dani?"

"I can stay at the hotel. No problem." He says. 

I sigh into the phone. "Am I expected to wear a dress?"

"Classic informal will do." She says, and she sounds immediately cheered up. "No sweatpants though. I'll send over the driver tomorrow."

"Actually, I'll just get the hotel staff to drop me. Send me the location later, okay?"

"Okay. Goodnight, Val."

"Night."

I end the call and shove the phone in my pocket.

"You promised you would call Nate." I say to Dani. We resume our walk down the corridor.

"I tried. He didn't pick up."

What was that guy doing with his life? Why did he keep driving away the people he loved?

My right hand grips my other arm. Another few steps, and we're at my room.

"I'll see you before you leave." He says. His hand reaches up to touch my cheek, but it's like he stop himself the very last moment. 

I turn around. It's already too awkward. "Goodnight, Dani."I say.

And before he can reply, I push myself in and close the door.

I'm tired of pretending like my emotions don't matter - like there's any justification that goes against my actions, or my thoughts.

I simply want him to love me like he used to.

I kick off my shoes and flop on the bed. Guess that's harder that I thought it would be.

In the morning, I'm up by eight. I order breakfast up to my room, and wordlessly pack a tote of all the essentials - my toothbrush, a comb and an extra pair of clothes in case I need to stay overnight. 

I get dressed the best I can, knowing Gabriella's parents had high standards, and looking in the mirror ten minutes later, I don't feel half bad.

By the time I'm done with breakfast, my phone buzzes.

Dani, 8.27 am : WAKE UP. Are you awake yet?

Valencia, 8.29 am : No, I'm replying to you in my sleep. What's up?

Dani, 8.30 am : Nate finally picked up.

I straighten up, then lean closer to my phone as if that would give me the answer.

Before I can reply, another text tings on my phone.

Dani, 8.30 am :  Meet me downstairs.

I get up, gather the last of my stuff, and put my phone in my bag.

I shut the door on my way out, and head downstairs to the main lobby. 

Dani's already waiting there, sitting on the one of the impeccably white sofas.  "Hey." He greets. Before he can get up, I just flop down next to him instead.

"What did he say?" I ask. "Is he sad? I bet he's sad. After all, he misses Gabi and Mason, although I can't understand why he would leave them, even if---"

"Valencia." Dani chuckles. "Calm down. It's still too early for my brain to function properly."

I remain quiet, waiting for him to continue.

"He did pick up." He says, screwing his eyes shut then re-opening them. "Damn, I need coffee."

"You can go get your bloody coffee later!" I seethe. "What did he say?"

"If I tell you, will you get a cup of coffee with me?"

I resist the urge to hit him. "I hate coffee. And I'm late already."

"Too bad." He crosses his arms, grinning. 

The receptionist sees me and smiles. She makes her way over to us. "Miss Morgan, you asked us to book a car for you, yes?"

"Yeah." I get up.

"Well, it's here."  She smiles. "Will you be gone the entire day? Your father asked us to extend your stay if you--"

"Yes." I say. Thanks, dad. "One more night. Thank you."

She heads back to the main hall, and I pick up my bag.

"No goodbye kiss?" Asks Dani. He's joking, but there's a slight doubt there.

Even he doesn't know what he wants.

Well, it's definitely not me. Not yet, atleast. 

"Bye." I simply say.

"Hey, Val?" Dani says. "Nate's flight lands in two hours."

My eyes widen. "What? He's here?"

"Almost." Shrugs Dani. "But don't tell Gabriella, okay?"

I immediately nod, then turn around, smiling.

Wow.

He came back for her.

Just like last time.

At the main gate, the driver is waiting by his car. I get in the back seat and tell him the address.

The ride takes about half an hour. I spend the time looking out the window, trying to remember the last time I was here.

The buildings are different, obviously, but the city looks like any other.

The streets slowly get wider, as the number of buildings and houses decrease. I check the address that Gabriella has sent me, and the name of the street matches with the one on the huge green sign.

This neighbourhood is... expensive. Yup, that's the only way to describe it.

The guard at the gate stop us, and ask me for my name. I notice a camera in the corner.

The car swerves around to the entrance, where a gigantic fountain is placed. Water is bubbling out of a huge angel's hand. The front lawn itself is quite big. Neatly cut, with rose bushes framing the circumference. 

I get out and ring the bell just as the driver lowers the window. "When shall I come pick you up, miss?"

I purse my lips, not knowing the answer to that. "It's okay," I conclude. "I'll call if I need to get back."

The driver lowers his hat, pulls up the window and drives off.

Meanwhile, no one answers the door.

I tap my foot and debate on whether to ring it again. Just as I'm reaching up to, I hear the handle squeak and a second later, two faces come into view. 

My eyes widen a little as I stare up at Mason. He's hoisted on a boy's shoulders, laughing as he yells, "Cia!"

The guy himself is looking at me with amusement. He's about my age, perhaps older, with dark hair and green eyes. 

"You must be Valencia." He drawls.

Mason extends both his hands, asking me to pick him up. The guy laughs and hands him over to me.

"I've never seen you before in my life." I mutter.

How the heck was Mason so happy? He took time to adjust to strangers.

He laughs. "I'm Zach."

I stand there, looking at him like a retard.

His shifts his weight and leans against the door. "Are you gonna come in, or..."

"VALENCIA." A shriek interrupts him. I step in through the door and moments later, I'm engulfed in Gabriella's hug.

"I'm so happy you're here." She says.

"Me too, Gabi." I say.

Lies.

"I see you've met my dweeb of a brother."

Zach crosses his arms. "I'm just a year younger than you."

She smacks him in the back of his head. "Then act like it."

He throws her a dirty look. Wow, I could ready believe they were related. They were just like me and Cayden.

"Where are your parents?" I asked Gabriella.

"They've gone to their friend's house for breakfast or something." She rolled her eyes. "They'll be back soon. Meanwhile, you wanna see the house?"

"Could I get some water first?"

"Yeah, I'll be right back."

She leaves, and I look around with Mason still in my arms. The house is huge. Expensive, branded furniture sits in every corner, adorned by decorations. Photo frames line up on the wall besides the lace curtains, but I don't see a single one of Gabriella or her brother.

"Damn." I mutter.

"You'll get over it." Zach says. "I bet my sister told you all about our parents, huh?"

"Somewhat." I glance down at Mason at the word parents, but his attention is elsewhere.

Gabriella returns with the water. She hands me the glass and I finish it in three huge gulps. I set in on the table.

"So as I was saying, you would--"

Gabriella is cut off by the front door opening again. 

A middle-aged couple appear through the door. The lady has a harsh face, which is currently adorned by pink lipstick and eyeliner. The man just looks bored as hell.

Mason sees them, and grumbles lowly. 

"Zach." The woman says in a stern voice, and I see her gaze assessing me from top to bottom. "I thought I told you - no more ome night stands with prostitutes. Especially not when we're around." 

My mouth hangs open. Prostitute?

Prostitute?!

My skirt wasn't even short! And I had a sweater on for goodness's sake.

Did I look like a prostitute?

"Mom." Says Gabriella accusingly. "She's my friend, Valencia. From Spain."

Her mother shares a surprised look with her husband.

"Ah, yes." He says awkwardly.

"Val," says Gabriella. "Meet my parents."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

203K 5.4K 36
《UNDER A MAJOR EDITING》 Sophia Miami lives loving herself as a bisexual, but never found herself in relationship. She forgotten everything about he...
607 76 26
"Sometimes you just have to look back at life and admire the all great things you have done. That is until you realise your name is Luna Teale Vale...
67.7K 2.3K 42
{COMPLETED ~ SHORT READ} Vienna woke up one day in a hospital bed, with random people surrounding her. Confusion, dizziness and frustration reigned o...
18.7K 917 32
I feel so lost, I don't remember who I am or what I was. My head aches when I try to remember at least something. I guess, that's how it feels like t...