Loyalty Or Honour (Book 3)

By randomthoughts96

The time has come for Hunter, the only illegitimate son of the late Lord Usani, to know the true meaning of f... More

Author's Note
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One
Chapter Thirty Two
Chapter Thirty Three
Chapter Thirty Four
Chapter Thirty Five
Chapter Thirty Six
Chapter Thirty Seven
Chapter Thirty Eight
Chapter Thirty Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty One
Chapter Forty Two
Chapter Forty Three
Chapter Forty Four
Chapter Forty Five
Important.
Chapter Forty Six
Chapter Forty Seven
Chapter Forty Eight
Chapter Forty Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty One
Chapter Fifty Two
Chapter Fifty Three
Author's Note
Family With Honour
Bear's story

Chapter Twenty Four

5.3K 527 30
By randomthoughts96

Vote ~ Comment ~ Enjoy!

The day of the ball and the wedding comes round quickly. In the meanwhile Hunter keeps his head down and refuses to keep eye contact with Lady Arabella for any longer than necessary. She does her own part in requesting Orion's presence if she wishes to be escorted somewhere without her women. Miss Litt and Miss Frith make his job easier as they are a constant buffer between them. Miss Litt's shrewd eyes notice the clear awkwardness in the air and she adjusts Arabella's routine to fix it. This pushes Hunter further from her, making him just a shadow.

Despite this, the electricity between them refuses to die down and the smallest glance sends tingles down their spines. Arabella finds herself watching him in moments of boredom. This is always corrected by Miss Litt who drags her attention back to wedding arrangements or a simple exercise of stitching. No words have been exchanged between Arabella and Hunter for the last few days and despite how the last conversation went they miss it.

This morning, Hunter and Orion stand off to the side as the women eat their breakfast, Miss Frith excitedly giving suggestions of jewellery to perfect her Lady's look. Hunter shifts and stretches out his neck as he gazes out into the grounds. Orion taps him on the arm with a frown. His gaze slips to his brother. Orion shoots him a questioning look. Hunter forces a smile that appears more like a grimace.

There is a gentle tap on the door and Orion strides across the room to answer it. Two men wait outside, stood tall and strong. Orion nods at the two of them and turns to Lady Arabella. He bows before speaking, "These are our replacements until tonight, my Lady. Hunter and I have a special event to attend."

"As do I, brother." Alice interjects, rising from her seat. "With my Lady's permission, of course." She curtseys and stays sunk low until Arabella inclines her head with a smile.

"Enjoy your day, Alice. Please do make sure to return in enough time to prepare for tonight. I am told the dress is ready and perfectly exquisite for you to wear." Arabella says warmly. Hunter's eyes unwillingly land on her and her skin prickles around her neck.

The three of them stride from the room. Once out of sight Orion ruffles Alice's hair. She squirms away and tries pointlessly to fix it. "Since when were you invited?" Orion teases.

"Since Jasper invited me." She says in a sickly sweet tone and Orion's eyes narrow dangerously. Alice smirks and winks at Hunter who just chuckles.

"Since who invited you?" He grinds out.

"I think you heard me perfectly well." Alice grins and picks up her pace. Orion bites down on his tongue grasping at his patience.

"Since when did you and Jasper talk away from my presence?" Orion asks his jaw ticking. Hunter laughs into his hand.

"It has not been long," Alice glances over her shoulder, eyes wickedly mischievous. "Is he one of those you trust to dance with me?" She asks innocently.

"Not anymore." Orion answers under his breath.

"Well that is a shame. I have already promised my second dance to him, I would hate to go back on my word." Alice muses purposely out loud.

"Well we cannot have that. Alice and Jasper must dance together." Hunter adds, his voice barely hiding his humour. Orion shoots him a glare but they no longer hold the effect they used to. Hunter simply grins.

"Our little sister." Orion reminds and Hunter frowns. "Alice may dance with Jasper under supervision as will all further conversations be supervised." Alice rolls her eyes, determined to avoid her brother's over watchful eyes.

They reach their house where Khiara has allowed everyone to come and get ready. She stands in the kitchen her hands on her hips as she listens to Ross. She shakes her head as her children enter and Ross finishes what he was saying. "Girls upstairs. Boys downstairs. I will only say this once more, Ross; you may not see her until she is walking up the aisle. Now stop nattering and get dressed. If I see one weapon on you there will no wedding for you today." She sharply pronounces. Alice disappears upstairs and they hear a gasp. Ross glares at the floor until Orion pats him on the shoulder.

"It will not be long now. Get ready; it sounds like Jacqueline is already dressed." Orion pushes him through to the sitting room.

Khiara smiles lightly at Hunter. "I am sure this day will hold more drama than most weddings." She comments lightly but Hunter shakes his head.

"I doubt that. The drama has already been and gone. Today will go smoothly, unless Ross has an old flame?" Hunter says thinking of his brother's wedding. 

"No, that boy has been in love with her for years. I do not know how my son can be so oblivious sometimes. Even I knew and I hardly see either of them." She chuckles softly. John strides in through the back door leading off the kitchen. He hands James straight into Hunter's arms without thinking.

"The garden has been prepared. We simply need the scared couple." He laughs and Khiara grins. Hunter looks down at the child he had automatically taken. James widely smiles at him, his chubby cheeks crinkling.

"Orion!" He exclaims and Hunter shakes his head.

"Hunter." He corrects kindly. James tilts his head, eyes puzzled. John then looks over and shakes his head in mock disbelief.

"I need to work on telling you boys apart." He voices his thoughts. "Are you good to take care of him while I get Ross to where he needs to be?" Hunter looks down at the kid and nods slowly. John pats him on the shoulder as he passes to find Ross.

Moments later Ross is marched through the house, dressed smartly, hair combed neatly, flanked by Orion, Jasper and John. He makes to protest wanting to speak with Jacqueline but theirs ears are deaf to his pleas. They lead him to the end of the garden where flowers have been planted along the path and little candles dot the lawn either side. Ross fidgets with his collar and Orion sighs, quietly speaking some words that could be encouraging or sarcastic. Hunter cannot tell where he is.

There are footsteps behind him and Jacqueline steps into the kitchen. She wears a knee length white dress, the lace sleeves stretching down to her hands. Lace embellishes her waist with small sparkles stitched in. She shifts nervously under Hunter's gaze. "It is rather different for me, is it not?"

"Indeed. You look beautiful." Hunter softly tells her.

Khiara nods, her hands clasped to her chest. "Simply stunning. Ross may just lose his voice seeing you. We will be waiting for you outside. She takes James from Hunter and goes outside to join the men. Zandar is also out there now waiting to marry the two of them. Alice and Xia scurry outside after their mother.

Hunter goes to follow them but Jacqueline stops him with her hand on his arm. "I do not have a father and I did not want to ask this of Jasper. Will you walk me down the aisle?" She asks softly, her nerves showing in the tremor of her voice.

"Why me?" Hunter asks with a slight frown. She giggles and fights a smile.

"Why not you?" She shrugs her shoulders beneath the fine white veil that trails down to her waist. Her turquoise eyes shine with fear but also happiness. Hunter offers his arm and she hooks her hand on it. "Have you done this before?" She questions almost silently as they step outside into the sun. Ross beams at her.

"Once. That time I had to because the bride may have made a run for it." Hunter softly replies. Jacqui smile warmly at the man she will marry.

"There is no chance of me running from this. Do not fear."

They reach where everyone is standing and Hunter passes her hand into Ross' outstretched one. He squeezes her hand. His eyes ask what he will not out loud. Are you sure you want to marry me? She pushes her veil back and leans up to brush her lips against his. Orion laughs and coughs loudly.

"That comes later you two." He pronounces clearly. Jacqui sticks her tongue out at him and everyone laughs. "Let us get this show over with." Orion continues with a wide smile. Ross and Jacqui turn towards to Zandar.

"Long speech or short?" Zandar asks.

Ross and Jacqui share a look. "Short." They both say at exactly the same time.

"Ross do you promise to love, protect and cherish Jacqueline?"

"I do."

"Jacqueline..."

"I do."

"Let me finish." Zandar reprimands and she guiltily looks down at the floor. "Do you promise to obey Ross always, to do all the washing and to keep your mouth shut when he orders it?"

Jacqueline bursts out laughing and punches Zandar in the arm.

"Technically she had already said I do to that." Ross teases. She aims a punch at his gut and it makes contact. He bends over as he grunts loudly. "I take that back." He wheezes out. Jasper laughs his head off and adeptly jumps out of his sister's reach. Khiara just shakes her head at all the immature adults around her. John puts his arm around her shoulder and kisses her on the temple.

"I promise to love him, to protect him and to stand by his side forever." Jacqueline solemnly pronounces. Ross squeezes her hand as he forces himself to stand upwards despite his sore stomach muscles. "I do."

"Here you are everyone, Jacqueline and Ross, Husband and Wife." Zandar humorously declares. "You may kiss the groom." That gets another collection of laughs and Ross shakes his head. Jacqui giggles and kisses him quickly. Her brother is watching as is Orion. She would prefer to not make this anymore awkward. Ross reads her mind and wraps an arm around her shoulders and they both bow to all those in attendance. Laughs follow and they fall into teasing each other and laughing about how they will probably get even less peace now that they are married.

"You should get back to Lady Arabella." Orion tells Alice, pulling her off to the side.

"I will escort you back." Jasper offers. Orion frowns but he does not react quickly enough as Alice accepts his arm and they stride away. Hunter comes to his side.

"Are we going to have to keep an eye on that?" Hunter queries. Orion shrugs his shoulders.

"I do not honestly know. Before the Ricell assignment she was young and he viewed her as a little sister. Now she appears grown up I do not know his thoughts on the matter. I will warn him later."

"I do not think your warnings mean much." Hunter gestures to Jacqui and Ross who stand without any air between them as they receive advice from Khiara and John.

"Then you scare him." Orion raises an eyebrow at Hunter. "Unless you think you have lost that ability? You have gotten increasingly soft recently."

Hunter bristles at the implication. "I will have him shaking in his boots before the day is over."

Orion grins and claps him on the back. "That is my boy!" Hunter shoves him away. Orion immediately pushes back and it is only going to escalate until Khiara steps over and waggles her finger at them.

"Enough of that!" She orders. "Apologise Orion!"

"Why should I apologise?"

"Orion!"

"Sorry." He bites out the most insincere apology going. Hunter chuckles and Orion gestures for Khiara to make Hunter do the same. She shakes her head.

"Hunter and I have an agreement. As a friend I cannot tell him to apologise but I am very proud of you son." She states warmly and Orion chokes. He had only said sorry because he expected his mother to make Hunter do the same. 

Thank you for your patience in waiting for this chapter. I hope you enjoyed it. I love the dynamic between Orion and Alice... 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

169 39 8
the Country of Medivia has long been at odds with their northern neighbors but when the prince of that nation comes for a visit could it really be to...
140K 3.7K 72
This story follows 5 siblings living with their aunt and uncle after being abandoned by their parents. Clueless about the real world around them and...
3.4K 355 76
When being betrayed by the who is close to you.
1.7M 67.8K 58
[COMPLETED] Wattys2018 Shortlist! PROMOTED ON COSMOPOLITAN.COM Highest rank #6 on Chicklit What's Hot List FOLLOW ME FOR EXCLUSIVE UPDATES ❤ ...