Faerie

By JenniTomalin

Once Upon a Time the Beryl crystal maintained equilibrium in the mythical kingdom of Faerie, which resides al... More

Faerie
Copyright
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter twenty six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Epilogue
Acknowledgements
Faerie Playlist
Social Media

Chapter Twenty Five

4.7K 366 20
By JenniTomalin

A/N: I just want to thank everyone for the likes, comments and reads given. I would personally thank you, but there are so many of you that I don't have much time and I would prefer that time to write you all another chapter. Thanks for all your support. Please keep liking, commenting and reading :)

Chapter Twenty Five

Heaths of heather exploded into view as we came from out of the forest. The purple flowers banding around a large lake that mirrored the flowers, trees and surrounding landscape on its still surface. I held in a gasp at the beautiful scene, untouched by disease. All I wanted to do was roll around in the flowers, it looked like a very soft carpet as we waded through it to the lakes edge.

"This is Lake City." Mac murmured, resting his sword on a nearby rock

"Lake City?" I asked in surprise, I thought I recognised it.

Lake city was a well known lake in Wales but named Llyn Dinas. Mac nodded as we gazed out at the dark waters. It resided in Gwynedd, north Wales and was one of many mystery pools related to King Arthur. Apparently a gold throne sat at the bottom of one of the pools. I knew all this from my Archaeology and Anthology classes, we even took a trip up here to do some work. It looked exactly the same; even the boat house across the river seemed identical with the purple blossom trees in the background.

"This is one of many portals to the human world." Kieran said, eyeing the pool carefully as if looking for something. I looked at him as he spoke.

"When the moon is full and big and is reflected upon the still lake. You can step into the lake and find yourself there. It works on the other side too."

"Really? So if I was in the human world at Llyn Dinas and it happened to be a full moon and was casted in the lake. I could just step into it and end up here?"

"Exactly." Kieran replied.

I looked at the still, dark waters and couldn't help think that it was a perfect mirror. Was I looking at the human world, through the river? I couldn't tear my eyes away, I felt lured to just step into it. Suddenly, the mirror rippled, sending small waves out into the middle. I looked away, toward Mac who had thrown a stone.

"It can also influence you to do things you regret." Mac said, looking at me with a worried expression.

"He's right, so many have been influenced by this lake. Wars have been started here." Kieran added, turning his back to it.

I did the same and we sat in a semi circle upon the bank of the lake, wondering what we should all do, where to go and which direction to take.

"This place is safe to stay the night... I think we could all do with some rest." Kieran said, looking at Mac's grubby appearance and then casting a view back around the lake.

"There's an old boat house over there, maybe I could go and check them out." He added.

"Do you need some company?" I offered, watching him stand up. He looked down at me and then across to Mac.

"No. I should be alright. It looks deserted, but it won't do us any harm to check it out." He said, taking one last look at us before heading off.

"He is quite brave isn't he?" I said, watching him tackle his way through the heather.

"He has to be. He's the new king of The Unseelie Court." Mac said, gazing out at the tranquil lake.

The sky was starting to turn an almost purple colour from the dark blue to the lilac as the sun began to set, letting the rays run through the sky like fingers on a piano. It made the land picture postcard. The air was still warm too. It was beautiful and for the first time for a long time, I felt calm and safe.

"Is there still an Unseelie Court for Kieran to go back to?" I wondered out loud.

"Yes, the surrounding land is untouched. However, the castle is gone along with its court of people and subjects."

I looked at him, my eyes studying him. He looked ragged and his green eyes had seen all, making them look old and wise. They flickered at me and I quickly looked away. Silence surrounding us.

"I'm going for a swim." Mac said, standing up.

"What?" I said confused. "I thought you said not to look at the lake for a long time as it influences you. And now you want to swim in it?"

"For it to influence you, you have to let it first." He said, as he began to take off his shirt.

"You can join me if you want?" He muttered with smirk as he began to walk towards the edge of the lake.

I turned to watch him go. His back was toned with medium muscular definition. His shoulders broad and shaped nicely, cutting in towards his hips. I should really look away, but I felt drawn to him. My heart skipped as he took the rest of his clothes off, leaving his under garments on.

I carried on watching as he swam, head first into the waters. I watched the ripples branch out, before he reappeared, brushing his wet hair out of his eyes.

"Come on! It's warm if that is what's keeping you." He chuckled, his voice echoing.

I looked in the direction Kieran went. He was no longer in view and I wondered how far round he had gotten. He must have heard Mac say that.

"I dare you!" Mac added, not seeing me hesitate.

That was it, I was a sucker for dares. As soon as someone would dare me to do something, I did it. No matter how big it was. I had been awarded the title brave heart by my colleagues after a series of dares they made me do when I first started working at the museum. One of which was stay in the storage room of the Egyptian mummies, with the lights off and doors closed for an hour. I did it, and it wasn't scary at all. However, that didn't mean I get scared.

I stood up and walked to the water's edge. The reflection of the surroundings flickered and distorted from Mac swimming. He seemed happy I had wondered to the lake.

"How will be dry when we get out?" I asked, crossing my arms over my chest. I was more worried of feeling cold, I hate feeling cold.

"It's still warm, we'll dry in no time. Besides, you're starting to smell."

Right, that was the nail in the coffin. I gasped at his remark. "Right, you're going to get it!" I shouted. Kicking my boots off and quickly changing out of my clothes all the way down to my underwear. Luckily I was wearing my hot pink French knickers, they almost acted like hot pants and I felt comfortable. However, my bra was a light blue and a balcony cup, pushing my breast out. It wouldn't be too bad once my shoulders were under the water. Mac sunk down into the lake, so that all I could see was from his nose upwards.

I exhaled as I dipped my toe into the water first, bracing myself, I was expecting to get an uncomfortable chill of coldness run up and over me. No, it was lukewarm, like a heated pool. I walked further until the water was waist high. My arms still crossed over my chest, hiding my breasts.

"What?" I asked, sceptical of Mac as he didn't move. He looked up at me with mirth in his eyes.

Then he jumped up, spraying water over me. He slammed back down, grabbing hold of my shoulders, causing me to go under the water. I shrieked in shock at the sudden fright and the water spraying over me. I shot back up, gasping. Mac rose up, laughing at me. I must look like a drowned rat. My long hair was wet and I glared at Mac as he belly laughed at my expense.

"You're so dead." I said, jumping towards him, arms stretched out to grab him. I missed as he scooted back in the waters, still laughing.

I splashed and swam, trying to reach him. I dived into the waters and tried grabbing his legs, still no luck. I came up, brushing my hair back. Rubbing the waters out of my eyes, I scanned the area trying to seek him out. He wasn't their, I spun around. He had disappeared, I stood alone in the lake, the light fading and the sky was now a golden, pink colour. I was too busy thinking that it was getting dark that I screamed as I felt strong hands around my hips. Before I knew it I was lifted out of the water and thrown backwards, hitting the water with a splash. I shot back up, spluttering from the unexpected attack.

Mac howled with laughter, my blood boiled a bit from embarrassment and I dived at him. He didn't move as I pulled him down into the water and kept him there for a few seconds, before releasing him. He shot back up, spluttering and laughing at the same time.

"Is that all you got?" He said, shaking the water out of his hair.

"You're heavy." I accused, splashing him.

"Heavy? I think the word you're trying to find is strong?" He splashed back.

I turned away as the water drenched me. I stared at him as he circled me, his arms moving in small circles to keep him afloat. I splashed him back, the only attack I was able to do on him.

I kept going; noticing that he was closing in on me; my splashes became bigger and more aggressive. I was expecting him to pick me up and throw me in again. But he stood up, towering over me. His hands catching mine, making me stop.

He stared down at me, his hair falling over his eyes. I looked up at him, watching the water droplets fall from the tips of his hair. His eyes were a bright and vivid green. I almost felt intimidated by them, I held my breath. Trying to decipher what he was thinking. I shivered as his hands brushed up my arms, stopping at my shoulders, still gazing in my eyes. He was no longer grubby looking. He looked like a water god or something like that.

"You're beautiful, you know." He whispered, he brought his hand up to tuck a wet strand of hair behind my ear. I felt my cheeks blush and the tips of my ears heat up. I stared at the necklace he had around his neck. I had never seen it before. It was small, the suede, brown string was tight at the base of his neck and hanging off it was a small round pendant resting at the base of his throat. The symbol of life was etched on it. The three swirls, The Tristan. They looked like waves. I felt his hand under my chin, forcing me to look up at him.

"I mean it. I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for you." He said quietly, his eyes searching mine.

I swallowed hard, my heart going ten to the dozen. He brought his head down, his forehead almost touching mine. If I stood on tip toes, my lips would brush with his. But I didn't have to. The feeling of his hands on either side of my face made me melt. He caressed my cheek, as he ducked his head down further his lips connecting with mine. My heart could explode. My lips brushed with his and I shivered, sending goosebumps up my arms. He tasted sweet like berries and honey, his thumbs stroked circles on my bare shoulders, my lips parting slightly and my hands reaching up to snake around his neck.

"It's all clear!" Came a loud shout from the side of the lake, it was so loud it echoed. Mac and I both sprang apart. It was as if everything had faded away and it was just the two of us. I had forgotten about Kieran.

I looked at Kieran he was over by the boathouse, making room for space. I watched as he moved a Pile of woodcuttings from the boat house and placed them neatly on a flattened bit of grass. He looked solemn, almost pissed off. Though I was sure it was because he was working hard and that was how he looked. I pulled away from Mac and began to swim back to shore, collecting my clothes in a heap. Mac followed suit and we both stalked round to the boat house, like naughty children being caught with our hands in the sweetie jar. We were both silent, as if gathering time to think about what had happened between us.

By the time we got to the other side of the lake, it was dark and Kieran had lit a small fire. He sat around it, gazing into the flames, prodding the wood every so often with his sword. I decided to put my clothes back on, now that I was one dry. Even my underwear was dry, which was great but seemed very strange. If this was back home it would have taken all night to dry off my bra and knickers. My hair was partly dry, but still damp.

Kieran didn't look at us as we approached and I suddenly felt guilty, he must have seen us and was probably feeling awkward. I sat opposite him. His eyes were dark and his expression blank. He acknowledged us then, standing up and brushing himself off.

"I'm going to look for something to eat." He said, he stared down at us before leaving.

"Do you think he's okay?" I asked Mac, suddenly worried about Kieran.

"He's okay. He just can't handle certain things sometimes." Mac replied, putting his shirt back on.

"What do you mean?" I replied.

Mac sat to the side of me, brushing his hair with his fingers. His eyes trained on the flickering flames of the fire in front of us.

"He just feels awkward. I would if it was to be the other way around. Besides he is Unseelie, he is supposed to be like this." Mac chuckled.

I didn't laugh, I felt sorry for Kieran. I mentally scolded myself off and promised not to do something like that in front of Kieran again.

"Don't worry about him." Mac said, reaching across to put his hand on my knee, giving it a small squeeze. But I did worry about him, he is a friend and friends don't make friends feel like this.

I didn't say it, merely thought it.

Kieran eventually returned with one small rabbit, that looked to have died a day or so ago.

"It was all that I could find." He said, before any of us asked what he had found.

He sat down and began gutting what was left, as if it was the most natural thing in the world. I had forgotten they didn't have supermarkets here with packaged meat, ready to cook and eat. It didn't take him long to do it, he went down to the lake and washed the blood off his hands and the meat and returned. This was a skill and Kieran was good at it.

The rabbit was lovely, even if it wasn't served with a curry or vegetables. I was too hungry to care and I wolfed it down without batting an eyelid. For the rest of the evening with sat in silence, until the fire grew small and I grew tired and decided to go to bed. Tomorrow was going to be another long day. And hopefully we will get closer to our destination.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.6K 436 24
𝐄𝐕𝐀 𝐀𝐍𝐓𝐎𝐍𝐎𝐕𝐀 ︱❝ We both had hard lives Emma. But those hard lives taught us that pain only makes us stronger. ❞ Imagine a scenario where S...
63 3 7
Once upon a time, in a faraway land, a young Princess lived in a shining castle, and although she had everything her heart desired, the Princess was...
1.5K 139 76
Once upon a time, there was a prince. She was a girl. Tabitha has been raised as a prince her whole life, a role at which she is talented, but has ne...
186 19 5
Warning: this story will get very violent at times Elora (or as she's known as in the non magic world Alex) mills is the daughter of Regina Mills and...