Dragon of Legend: Destiny (Pu...

By voif1d

Facing the most powerful man in the Lands armed with nothing but a sword and the hope that she could prevail... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Buy the Book!
Chapter 37
Chapter 38 (final)

Chapter 36

204K 2.3K 580
By voif1d

As Akira stared at Redemption, relief flooded through her. Her eyes flickered over him, widening when they drifted to his neck. The armor around the end of it was crushed. Puncture wounds went right through it. Blood oozed out of them, adding to the blood that already caked her dragon's neck and shoulder. She also noticed that he had his front right leg lifted slightly off the ground, spreading his weight across the other three. The armor from his legs was also completely gone, having been ripped off from the impact of the fall.

"Why?" Haiden spat from where he sat. His face was scrunched up in with rage as he glared from Akira to her dragon.

Akira turned to look at him, seeming to only remember his presence then.

"Why won't you die?"

Redemption limped over and came to stand beside Akira. He took a protective stance, eyes on the enemy ahead.

Akira tensed, watching as the black dragon's rider clenched his fists. They burst into flames. Yet, then he cocked his head, as though listening to something. Moments later, the flames on his fists extinguished and a smile spread across his face.

"What a good idea," Haiden said as he shot a look at his dragon.

Akira tensed, waiting for an attack. She blinked in surprise when instead her opponent swung his leg over his saddle and jumped from Fury's back. He beckoned to Akira tauntingly. Then, he turned away and walked towards a rocky outcrop which lay just some distance behind Fury.

Akira watched in disbelief. Is he running away?

He is challenging you to a duel, Redemption told her, rider against rider.

Akira looked at Fury. The black dragon was watching her, his tail swishing back and forth as his lips pulled back to show his teeth. A growl rumbled in his throat, yet, he made no move to attack.

Go, Redemption told her, his eyes glued to the black dragon.

"What?" Akira turned to stare at her dragon.

Follow him.

And leave you here alone to face him? Akira thought as she looked skeptically at Fury. She knew that of the two dragon's Redemption was the worse off. His injuries were not to be taken lightly.

I'm not just any dragon, Kiddo, I'm the Dragon of Legend, Redemption huffed. Besides, if you were able to fight while blind, I think I can manage this.

Ree...

Do you trust me? Redemption cut her off.

Akira turned to stare in the direction her advisory had disappeared in. "Yes," she whispered.

Then go. I'll be fine. I'll take on Fury, you go finish his master, Redemption told her.

Akira wanted to protest her dragon's words, yet she knew that he was right. I guess in the end we won't be fighting together. She lifted a hand and placed it on her dragon's neck. "You need a bath," she whispered.

Redemption snorted.

Tears pricked her eyes as Akira removed her hand. "And don't you dare think of dying on me," she added.

The thought never crossed my mind, was Redemption's reply, his eyes still glued on Fury.

Akira turned. She took a few tentative steps in the direction Haiden had gone to. When Fury did nothing to stop her, she increased her pace. She walked past the black dragon without incident.

The rocky outcrop loomed before her. What's his plan? Why suddenly a duel? Her eyes narrowed. She knew it could be a trap, yet she didn't have much of a choice but to go.

As she reached the rocks, she felt the ground behind her shake and heard the roar as the two dragons charged, both unhindered by riders on their backs.

Together with their riders, both dragons had been equally matched. Now, without them, only the stronger would win.

Akira didn't look back as she picked her way through the rocks. She had her own battle before her. Just then she caught sight of the rider clad in black. He was some distance before her, walking at a comfortable pace. It looked almost as though he were going for a stroll, not to a fight to the death.

Akira continued to follow at a distance. Where's he going?

That was when she saw the small opening in a cluster of rocks. Haiden was heading right towards it. Realizing that Akira had spotted him, he turned and shot an evil grin at her before he stepped through the opening. His black clothes let him become one with the darkness and he seemed to be swallowed up completely by the cave.

Akira steadied her shaking hands as she herself reached the opening. Gulping, she reached for her sword. She unsheathed it in one smooth movement before she paused and peered past the dark entrance. Fear of the darkness clutched her for only a moment. However, the feeling disappeared in an instant.

Idiot, she couldn't help but think. I fought blindly for months, this will be nothing.

As she entered the cave, Akira took a tentative step to her right. She stretched out her arm to feel if there was anything in her way. Once she was sure the way before her was clear, she took another step.

The only light came from the entrance; it did little to light up the interior as it seemed to only sit around in one spot. The effect was such that the entrance itself was bright, blinding even, while everything else in the cave was blacker than the scales of Fury himself.

Akira made sure to move away from the opening. She wouldn't take the chance of that little bit of light giving away her position to her opponent. No sooner had she done so, than she felt a force collide with her back and sent her stumbling forwards.

"I see you," a voice said from somewhere behind her.

Akira whirled around but nothing but darkness greeted her. She wondered if what he had said was true. Can he really see me or was it a lucky hit? She thought the latter was more likely as she herself could not see anything but darkness.

On the verge of deciding that was being toyed with, Akira happened to glance down at her hand and immediately froze. She could see its outline.

It took her only a moment to realize that the white fabric she wore was to blame. It was glowing softly. She had never noticed that it did so before, however, she could only assume it was another thing it had been designed it to do. For the first time, she regretted wearing it; for it did nothing to help her blend into her surroundings as Haiden did with his dark clothes. While her enemy was completely hidden, Akira's entire body outline was clearly visible as it stood out in the dark surrounding.

He really can see me. Panic filled her and the calmness she had managed to collect disappeared. Her senses became clouded almost immediately. The darkness seemed to press in on her from all sides. Fear worked itself through her body as terror gripped her every limb.

Akira whirled, trying to distinguish where her opponent was. She felt like a sitting draglin. Her fingers tightened on her sword until she was sure her knuckles were white. She could feel herself growing stiff and was sure she reeked of fear.

Calm down, she tried to tell herself. You can't let fear take you over. It was too late.

She was aware of the force coming towards her almost too late. Akira whirled to the side. She felt the searing pain explode across her forehead. Stumbling a few steps, her hand reached up. She felt the stickiness of blood. Moments later something poured into her eyes, forcing them closed.

Realizing she had been cut, Akira's heart almost stopped. If I hadn't moved... the thought trailed off as she pressed a hand on the wound, trying to stanch the steady flow.

She heard a growl. It warned her just in time and she jumped back from the sound. A sword slashed where she had just stood. It bounced off the wall, causing sparks to fly.

Sweat trickled down the back of her neck as she blinked her eyes rapidly, trying to see despite the blood. She stared into the darkness, hoping to make out where her opponent was. As the hairs on the back of her neck stood up, Akira whirled around, swinging her sword with one hand. It swished through the air, hitting nothing. The act caused exhaustion to swing through her.

I'm almost at my limit.

Akira lowered her sword when suddenly a hand grabbed her from behind. Before she could react, she found herself being thrown across the room. She rolled across the cold ground narrowly avoiding the sword that crashed against the ground behind her.

Fire! the thought flickered through her mind. She shakily raised her left hand in front of her, trying to form the flames she so desperately needed. But no matter how hard she tried, nothing happened.

"Foolish girl." The chilling voice seemed to be coming from all around her. "It doesn't work like that." Haiden's words revealed that he knew what she was trying to do. "The further you are from your dragon, the more strength you need to form fire. Do you think you have that strength in the condition you're in?" Akira tried to distinguish the direction of his voice, yet it seemed to keep changing.

What she had just told her told echoed in her mind. Something clicked as she realized that he probably didn't have the strength to form fire either.

Where is he? Akira thought hopelessly as she dropped her hand.

As though to answer, she felt hands grabbing her neck and jerking her back. Once again, she found herself being thrown through the air. Pain shot up her back as she smashed into something hard. Akira gasped, dropping her sword as she fell to the floor.

She lay where she was, breathing hard. Fear kept her where she was, unmoving. Panic took control of her and she began to shake in fear, knowing that at any moment a sword would pierce her. She would be unable able to dodge, not knowing the direction the blow would come from.

Even as the thought swam around in her mind, Levi's face suddenly flashed in front of her and Akira remembered him taking the time to teach her when she had had no sight. She remembered what he had told her before she went into battle, when no one had believed she could. You'll do great kid, just remember to listen, she heard him saying those exact words just as clearly as if he was standing beside her.

Just remember to listen, the words whirled around in her head again and again. Something about them struck Akira, yet she couldn't put her finger on it.

Listen...just listen...listen... And then she remembered. Why am I relying on my eyes again? I was blind for months. Darkness had been her constant companion. She had had to navigate through it, live with it, learn to use her other instincts. Yes, she had loathed it, feared its emptiness, but she had learned to look through it. She had disregarded all that as soon as she had gotten cut, letting fear control her movements. I broke the first rule Levi taught me. I need to suppress my fear...I have to calm down.

She stopped trying to blink away the flow of blood. Instead, Akira closed her eyes. Her hand reached for the sword that lay below her and her fingers enclosed around its hilt, feeling the smoothness of it. And then she did what Levi had taught her to do, she listened, listened for anything and everything.

As she did she heard the gentle drip of water coming from her right, felt the gentle breeze coming from the entrance behind her, how it rushed through the cave making an unusual whistling sound.

Then she heard it. In the direction of the water, something had rustled, it sounded suspiciously like the sound of fabric rubbing against itself. As if to confirm her suspicions, the dripping suddenly broke its pattern. Just once it missed its timing.

Akira's eyes flew open as she rolled, raising her sword in a flash. The sound of metal smashing against metal clung throughout the cave.

Akira briefly opened her eyes. Sparks flew from the collision and she found herself staring into Haiden's eyes. They were visible just for a moment until the sparks died.

"You forgot one thing," Akira mocked as he stared at her over their locked swords. She could just imagine the disbelief written in his eyes that she had known where the blow would come from. "Thanks to you, the dark doesn't affect me." Akira pushed him backward and scrambled to her feet as all fear left her and confidence took its place.

"You think that's enough to save you?" Haiden spat as he disappeared into the darkness once more, yet a trace of doubt was evident in his voice.

Akira didn't bother to follow him with her eyes. Using her ears instead, she searched for anything that would give him away; the rustle of his tunic, the direction of his voice, the sound of his breathing, the echo of his footsteps of the rocky surface.

She blocked the next blow, her hands shaking somewhat at the force that was behind it. Yet, she stood her ground, smoothly moving her sword just in time to block a blow aimed at her left side. The man behind it was strong, but she was fast and light on her feet.

Akira heard his breathing close by and whirled just in time to block Haiden's blow. As their swords clashed she caught a glimpse of his face, lit up by sparks once more. His face was twisted in rage. However, in the next moment, he recovered and let out a laugh that sounded hysterical.

Akira heard the swish of the sword as he slashed his blade at her. She dodged to the side just in time before turning to face her adversary, her blade swinging in a comeback.

It was then that she felt pain flood through her; pain which was not her own. It was all it took for her to pause and for her mind to search for her dragon's. Ree!

Her opponent didn't hesitate at the opportunity. He lashed out. Akira felt an exploding pain in her right abdomen. She knew the feeling as she had felt it before when she had been captive. She moved her left hand down to the source of the pain. It came back, sticky with blood.

Haiden grabbed her hair and pulled her close so that his mouth was right beside her ear. "You don't have the luxury," he whispered, "to hesitate." He pushed Akira, and as a result, she stumbled backward.

Her legs shook and then they buckled. Helplessly she fell to her knees. The pain of banging them on the stone ground was nothing compared to the pain in her side. She didn't know how deep the cut was, but it hurt a lot.

"You should know," Haiden's voice was smug as he lifted the tip of his blade to touch Akira's chest, right over her heart, "I always win."

Akira let her sword drop, her head following. It was over, one moment was all it had taken for her concentration to drop and her opponent to take advantage. All he had to do was flick his wrist and she would be dead.

You are Akira, rider of the Dragon of Legend, never forget that, Seth's words echoed in her mind seemingly out of nowhere as she remembered what he had told her all that time ago. And yet here she was, at the mercy of the very man that had taken her sight before, the man who had killed her predecessors, one after the other. He was right, he always won, every time.

And then images suddenly flashed through her mind. She saw Levi's broken body where he lay beneath his dragon, Gina's smiling face, Drake's scowl, Seth's warm brown eyes, Brandon's weathered face, the academy students, each image followed the other, flashing faster as more followed.

"I can't die here," Akira whispered, "Not yet." Desperation filled her. "For their sake."

She heard the shift in Haiden's stance, felt the pressure on the blade. Her body moved on its own. Her hand shot up, grabbing the hilt of the blade with more strength than she had ever possessed. Somewhere inside her, something told her that the sword's owner was putting all his weight on it, trying to push it through her heart, and yet her hand alone stopped him.

Slowly, Akira lifted her head. She heard her adversary suck in his breath, felt the pressure on the blade disappear.

It didn't occur to her that she could suddenly see his face that it was lit up by a light that seemed to be forming around her. Nor did she notice that the writing in her sword was glowing a bright white. She stared right at Haiden who let go of his sword altogether, horror on his face as he left her holding his blade.

"No," he muttered looking delusional as he stared at Akira's face. "Not possible!"

Akira's body continued to move on its own. She picked up her own sword and got to her feet, her eyes never leaving those of the man she loathed. He took another step back, his eyes darting to Akira's blade. Her own sword was glowing white, illuminating the small cave and bouncing off the walls, while the other was covered in red blood that dripped to the ground.

As Haiden raised his eyes to meet Akira's, fear disfigured his face as he seemed to see something she could not.

"Impossible, I killed you before! All of you!"

Akira had no idea what this outburst was about and she didn't care. She watched coldly as Haiden pulled a dagger from his sleeve.

"Die!" He yelled as he charged blindly towards her, the dagger raised above his head.

Akira's hand reacted, flicking her sword up. It sent the dagger flying from her attacker's grip. At the same moment, she whirled and brought the black sword around. She stopped the blade just in time so that its tip drew a thin drop of blood from his neck.

Feeling as though she were in a trance, Akira raised her own sword. She crossed the blades with Haiden's neck in the middle, the white blade lapping over the darker one. One quick movement and she could sever his head from his body.

And then laughter began. It was a harsh laugh, a bitter laugh, yet this time Akira did not feel affected by it at all. She knew it was the laugh of a dead man.

"Fool," Haiden spat as a familiar glint returned to his eyes. "You just don't get it, do you?" He chuckled dryly. "All this time hope was always put into the white dragon. You think that if Fury and I would be gone it would be all over?"

Akira watched, no emotion on her face as she held the two swords steadily in place. She waited, letting the rider talk.

"But the thing is," a tear ran down his cheek, perhaps a tear of amusement, perhaps a tear of a desperate man, Akira didn't know. "It doesn't end here..." Haiden broke off, snorting in laughter. "Even if you kill me, if you kill my dragon, we'll be back."

Still, Akira waited, watching.

"You see, everyone always thought that the white dragon returned because of a promise that my brother made with his last breath." A chuckle followed.

Akira felt something inside her stir. Were they brothers?

"And yet, what they don't know is that it's much simpler than that." Haiden's eyes mocked Akira as he stared into hers, as though trying to get a reaction out of her. "You see, one dragon cannot exist without the other. A cycle of one hundred years, that's what it takes for the other to be re-born. Mark my words, a black dragon will be born again. He will find a rider and end what I started." His eyes turned cold. "Like I said, I always win." Triumph crept into his eyes, yet when Akira continued to calmly stare at him it faded somewhat.

Akira felt a smile spread across her face and watched the confidence of the rider before her crumble at her reaction.

"There's just one problem," Akira said softly as she leaned her head forward so that face was inches from Haiden's own. "Neither I nor my dragon are going to live long enough for the black dragon to come back."

The blank look on his face showed that the rider didn't understand.

"Thanks to you, neither of us are going to grow very old. You see, you don't come back from the gates of death without paying a price."

Understanding flashed across Haiden's face. It was followed by anger, fear, and a look of utter defeat. "No," he whispered.

"The cycle ends with me," Akira continued. "I am the last Rider of Legend that will ever be." She moved the black sword away from the doomed rider's throat but left her own there. "It ends here."

She rammed the black blade forward, right into the heart as black as the blade of its master. There was a gasp. The doomed rider lifted his eyes to meet Akira, hate filling his own as he stared at her. His mouth opened as if to say something, perhaps one last cocky comment. Yet, nothing but a gurgle came out. And then his eyes rolled back and he fell backward, a thump signifying when his body hit the dirt.

Akira made left the blade in his chest and stood still, staring at the empty space from which he had been staring at her moments before. She had accomplished what she had set out to do. She had done her part yet felt no joy, no relief. She felt nothing as she turned away, dropping her sword arm so that her blade touched the floor.

As the writing on her sword stopped glowing, she felt complete control of her body return to her. Her blade suddenly felt as heavy as lead. It was with great difficulty that Akira sheathed it, her hands shaking. She felt the last of her energy drain from her. At the same time the connection she had felt with all the riders and dragons of the Academy, before she had entered the battle, disappeared. Her hearing was no longer twice as sharp, and neither was her sight as crystal clear. Everything was back to normal.

Black dots danced before her eyes as she staggered towards the entrance. Her legs felt weak as what was left of her strength drained away. She was only a few feet from the entrance when her legs buckled and she fell to her knees.

The pain in her abdomen became real once again and a familiar darkness began to descend upon her. Her head dropped. She was just so tired. That was when pain stabbed her. Akira's head snapped up. The pain wasn't her own.

Ree! She painfully scrambled to her feet. There was no time to rest. Hold on. She thought desperately as she stumbled forward.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.7K 55 7
*****REWRITING!!!! Marked as complete so people know I'm Not editing anymore!!!****** Not everyone gets a choice in who they want to be. Sometimes de...
6.7K 368 15
Orphaned at the age of ten, Blake found himself fighting in the streets and learning to fend for himself. His new life at the university was going we...
3.4K 131 11
(This will take place after Union Academy:War Of The Monsters)(@KaijuMaster20) After the battle,Makoto and his friends has teleport to an another uni...
172 10 4
"𝒀𝒐𝒖 𝒕𝒉𝒊𝒏𝒌 𝒎𝒚 𝒎𝒐𝒎'𝒔 𝒑𝒓𝒐𝒖𝒅 𝒐𝒇 𝒎𝒆?" "𝑰 𝒅𝒐, 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒅𝒐𝒏'𝒕 𝒉𝒂𝒗𝒆 𝒕𝒐 𝒑𝒓𝒐𝒗𝒆 𝒚𝒐𝒖𝒓𝒔𝒆𝒍𝒇 𝒕𝒐 𝒉𝒆𝒓." Destiny H...