Pure Writerly Moments (Blog P...

By DanielLClausen

Some moments just have to be written. Sometimes, a simple story, essay, or journal entry becomes more. What a... More

Introduction -- Part 1 --About Writing
Pure Writerly Moments - Part 1 - Gotta Write
Pure Writerly Moments - Part 2 - On the Literary Uses of Tank Tops
Pure Writerly Moments - Part 3 - The Dream was but a Dream
Pure Writerly Moments - Part 4 - The Sage
Pure Writerly Moments - Part 5 - Beer
Pure Writerly Moments - Part 6 - A Pure Writerly Ending
The Pure Writerly Moment Continues!
A Time Machine
What is Magic Realism?
The Novel Idea that Got Away
Aphorisms and Reflections on a Literary Life (Part 1)
Aphorisms and Reflections on a Literary Life (Part 2)
A Love Letter to Gabriel Garcia Marquez's "The General and His Labyrinth."
Introduction - Part 2 - Book Reviews
Don Quixote -- A Book Review in Three Sallies
Harry Potter and the Magical Grapes of Wrath
Against Flaky Protagonists in Fiction; or a Review of Ash Wednesday
Review of Heart of Darkness (Long Review)
Review - Harry Whitewolf's The Road to Purification
Review of Murakami Ryu's Almost Transparent Blue
Hans Rosling's "Factfulness" and the Problem of Tribalism
Review - The Paratrooper of Mechanic Avenue
The Reviewerator (A review of Snow Crash)
Review - Lester Goran's "Tales from the Irish Club"
Book Review - The Silent Cry (Kenzaburo Oe)
Review - Seven Habits of Highly Successful People
Review of Franny and Zooey (J.D. Salinger)
Book Review: Moby Dick
Introduction to Part 3 - Strike, Strike, and Strike Again
Rachel
A Fetishist Theory of Love (Short Story)
Steps (Postcard Short)
The Dragon (Postcard Shorts)
Three Short Works of Prose
Earwax
Dame! Kitanai!
Tequila, 4:20
Hemingway Would Know
Oxygen Pills, or The Subtle Art of Not Giving Up
The Gentle Hand
Four Short Works of Prose
Introduction -- Part 4 - Works in Progress
Statues in the Cloud -Tease #1 - The Opening
The Letter - (Statues in the Cloud Tease # 2)
Missing Pieces (Statues in the Cloud Tease # 3)
Lao Tzu's Soul in a Bottle - A Prelude (The Sage and the Scarecrow)
Hollowing Out in the Apocalypse (Sage and the Scarecrow Chapter 1)
The Therapist or the Dictator? (The Sage and the Scarecrow)
Introduction - Part 5 - Eternally in Progress
A Splash of Red
The Toxic Now
Strictly about the Hair
Harbinger of Horror
What I Wish I Knew When I Was 36
Music Review: The Music of Roxanne Andrighetti
Travel
Lazy Sunday (Feb 10, 2019) - A Picture Journal
Other Books by Daniel Clausen

Mr. Clausen and the Half-Explained Harry Potter Addiction

19 0 0
By DanielLClausen

Imagine for a moment that you're a 35-year-old adult male. You tend to think of yourself in serious terms. You had career ambitions, dreams of becoming a writer. There was a time when you divided up your day into 20-minute intervals to make sure you got the most of every moment.

Now, you find yourself 'Pottering away' your future.

Snape looks at me from the front of the room as I type this out on my Wizardo-Laptopium 1000. He sneers at me. "Are you even paying attention, Mr. Clausen?" His disgust is palpable.

"Yes, Professor Snape. Writing down every word you're saying."

"Lack of sincerity. Five points from Gryffindor."

The fact that I know words like Gryffindor, muggle, and Hogwarts may be a sign of my abject failure as an adult. I could have been someone...a lawyer, a doctor, a person who doesn't read Harry Potter.

Why am I not nose-deep in the classics trying to tease out the mysteries of good writing? For that matter, why couldn't I find a better way to Potter away my adulthood? Perhaps a drinking or gambling addiction. Those are the respectable ones after all. At least people plan interventions for those.

Snape is lecturing about the difference between wolves, werewolves, and muggles in their mid-30s with too much body hair. I stroke the fur on my hand as he lectures.

I raise my hand. I don't even wait for him to call on me. "Professor Snape, why is it that I'm a 35-year-old man reading Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban?"

He sneers at me again, but before he can squeeze out some snide comment I zap him with my wand while reciting this simple spell.

"Pointless Blog Post Satisfactory Conclusorium!"

Snape smiles a ridiculous smile and says, "If you want to know the answer to the mystery of Mr. Clausen and the Half-Explained Harry Potter Addiction, you'll have to read on!"

And that's when it hits me -- even in literature, we want to move on.

We come back for the promise, not the delivery. Telenovelas, soap operas, episodes of Lost, pulls of the lever on the slot machine -- we come back because of the potential that is teased, not because of any rational belief about the payoff.

Maybe I should start promising a bit more than I can deliver. Maybe I should embrace the cliffhanger!

"The next blog post will certainly be more compelling than this," I say out loud.

Snape is about to deduct five more points when suddenly he falls to the floor, grasping his chest. "Mr. Clausen...you...must...."

To be continued? 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

235K 841 42
🔞🔞🔞 warning sex!! you can cancel if you don't like it.This is only for the guys who have sensitive desire in sex.🔞🔞
48.3K 55 15
𝐨𝐧𝐞 𝐬𝐡𝐨𝐭 𝐬𝐭𝐨𝐫𝐲 𝐤𝐚𝐝𝐚 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐢𝐛𝐚 𝐛𝐚𝐧𝐠 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐫𝐚𝐜𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐢𝐬 𝐚 𝐒𝐏𝐆 𝐬𝐭𝐨𝐫𝐲
226M 6.9M 92
Officially now a series! Watch it for free on MediaCorp's Youtube Channel- MediaCorp Drama. ...
1.7M 17.3K 3
*Wattys 2018 Winner / Hidden Gems* CREATE YOUR OWN MR. RIGHT Weeks before Valentine's, seventeen-year-old Kate Lapuz goes through her first ever br...