Her Hidden Half (War Songs of...

By AuroraEScott

Fate has promised me the shittiest ever after... Death. Fortunately, I've never been very good at accepting... More

Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-one
Chapter Twenty-two
Chapter Twenty-three
Chapter Twenty-four
Chapter Twenty-five
Chapter Twenty-six
Chapter Twenty-seven
Chapter Twenty-eight
Chapter Twenty-nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-one
Chapter Thirty-two
Chapter Thirty-three
Chapter Thirty-four
Chapter Thirty-five
Epilogue
Book Two Announcement!
Claiming Her Crown Update

Chapter One

34.9K 1.2K 164
By AuroraEScott

I jolted awake, immediately feeling a sharp sting spread across my ass.

"Die. Please die," I rasped into the pillow as a slow pulse spread painfully through my skull.

Now, I hated to admit it... but I may have, maybe, sort of misjudged how much alcohol I could handle.

Pressing my face further into the pillow, I tried to remember what kind of seriously fucked judgment could've landed me in a bed with a man of all things. I swore those off last week for my mental well-being, but that was short-lived. Even for me. 

My memories were slow to resurface, but whether I liked it or not, they started to. Flashes of the night played in my head like a computer malfunctioning and I groaned. I wish I could gift the memories back wrapped in a beautifully tied bow of denial, but unfortunately, the evidence was pounding in my head and beside me, feeling me up.

"Aw, baby, don't do me like that," he said, the morning masking his words in a lazy growl.

"Oh." I shoved the heel of my hand into my face to relieve the pressure resting behind them. The glare of the morning light was harsh, but I forced myself to keep my eyes open. I needed to force myself awake and leave. "I don't think I'll be doing you at all anymore, actually. I'm good..." I paused, searching for his name.

Jason? No. 

Jackson?

James? It definitely started with a J.

Or did it start with a G?

I shrugged and nodded to myself and him. I figured it was better to pretend that was where that sentence ended.

He probably couldn't remember your name if he tried, either, I told myself in my attempt at comfort. I snorted at the thought. 

His brows twitched before pulling together. He watched me with unsure eyes and laughed a bit like he wasn't sure if he should think I was joking or not. "You're kidding," he told me rather than asked.

My face contorted into a cringe more than a smile, like when a dog 'smiles' but it's really just showing all of its teeth while looking mildly uncomfortable. I'm pretty sure that's the exact smile I gave him when I said, "Oooo, but I'm not."

We stared at each other, him in disbelief and me, in discomfort.

He sat up. "Are you a lesbian or something?"

Obviously, he was not concerned about the same thing. 

I stared at him and my lips twitched. I wanted to laugh so bad and the only thing keeping me in check was the pain still thumping in my skull like an annoying neighbor. "Sure," I nodded, pressing my lips together to keep from smiling. 

He stared down at his sheets, his eyes going distant. "Why does this keep happening to me?"

"It's the Hawaiian shirts," I said absentmindedly, looking around the room for any sign of my things. "Where are my clothes?"

He looked up finally, his eyes slowly clearing as confusion wrinkled his brows. "Huh?"

"My clothes. Where are they?" I asked again, pulling myself out of bed, my muscles protesting the entire way. 

I rubbed my temples, trying to relieve the pressure that sat just below the surface of my skull. I open my eyes reluctantly and saw the dark green lace of my bra peeking from underneath the bed. I smiled and reached down to snatch it from the ground, making a small noise of approval.

"We undressed mostly in the living room."

"Ahhhh, right." I nodded softly as more memories flashed in my head. I pulled my bra as fast as I could manage, a wave of dizziness hitting me as I stumbled to leave.

"Aye, you alright?" 

I threw up a thumbs up half-assed as I stopped at the doorway, finding my underwear decorating the knob of the door. I twitched my eyebrow at it and wondered if it was my bright idea or his. I fumbled slightly as I slid them on and paused, giving him one last look. 

"You don't listen in bed," I said. I tilted my head to the side and shrugged a bit. "That's why." I shut the door abruptly and walked down the hallway to the living room. 

He needed that. I didn't remember much but I did remember him not listening to me literally telling him what I liked. I even said it in a hot way, which was nice of me. But his ego said he knew how to get me off. His ego was wrong and someone needed to tell him.

I sighed when I saw the rest of my clothes strewn across the floor and couch, cursing my drunken self for making this an issue in the first place. I would hate the intoxicated version of myself for making such poor decisions but I wasn't so much better sober, so I'd decided it was simply best not to judge.

Movement from the other side of the room caught my eye. A woman sat cross-legged on the counter, hunched over a bowl of cereal in the kitchen fully in view of the living room. She waved her spoon at me hesitantly. She chewed loudly as she watched. Like she was familiar with this particular show and it had become routine to tune in every time.

Well, that was cute.

The sides of her head had been shaved but the rest of her dark brown hair was full and curly, pointing in all directions from the bun it had been pulled into. Her thighs were plump with muscle, restrained by men's boxers. Something decidedly not straight was happening there and I liked it. I tilted my head seductively and smiled my signature up-to-no-good smile. She paused mid-chew at the flirtatious gesture. Almost lazily, I turned and walked to my clothes, fully aware she was staring at my ass. I grabbed my pants from the couch and turned toward her to look her in the eyes as I tugged them on. A smile pulled at her lips as she took another bite of her cereal. She looked down and shook her head, pink staining the tops of her cheeks.

"Your roommate can't get a girl off to save his life. Someone should have a talk with him about that," I said seriously as I buttoned my jeans, almost like I was talking about disappointing weather.

She made a choking sound around a bite of cereal and started coughing. She set her cereal aside as she tried to calm the coughing fit. It was almost as if I purposely waited until she took a bite to say something.

Okay, I totally did.

Containing my laugh, I grabbed my combat boots and started towards the door. I slowed as I got close to her, very intentionally drawing it out as I moved closer. She looked disheveled from the coughing fit, her lips wet with milk and her cheeks nearly red at this point. I leaned in and lowered my voice to almost a whisper. "May I?" I asked as I raised my hand to her hair, close enough to make it clear but not enough to actually touch. Her mouth was open before she swallowed and nodded, her eyes glossing over. I twirled my finger in a single curl, studying it almost before looking up at her to see how she felt. Her eyes blackened and I smiled a bit. I let my hand fall to trace her ear and she sucked in a breath. I followed her jaw with my fingertips and I leaned in further, pulling her lightly by the chin. She followed, breathing more heavily. I turned her chin to lightly kiss her cheek. I wouldn't put her through my breath right now. She was too cute for that.

"Bye, gorgeous," I blew a kiss and made my way to the door, pouting a bit at the fact that I didn't meet her the night before.

* * *

I climbed up the stairs and prayed for my bed. 

I need to stop drinking and start exercising. 

I snorted at myself. Okay, maybe I just need to start with not drinking. 

I paused outside the apartment I shared with Claire. We weren't the closest of friends, but we got along pretty well as roommates. It's really only worked because we know how to stay out of each other's way. I had a sneaking suspicion that she was a high-class escort, but we had this unspoken rule to never question each other on our oddities. I'd never gotten the chance to really get my suspicions verified because it would break our silent rule, but it didn't make me any less curious. I felt like we could be really good friends if we both weren't so closed off... but while I might be open enough for her secrets, I wasn't sure anyone could really handle mine.

Stillness met me when I finally pushed into the apartment so I knew Claire was still out. The absence of the music she liked blaring from her room at all times was appreciated immensely. I usually didn't care, but at this moment? I was grateful. I gave a sigh of relief and started tugging my boots off without any real effort. There was a strong possibility that I could've fallen asleep just thinking of my bed. 

I hobbled down the hall to my bedroom, bumping into the wall a few times as I fought with my remaining boot and cursed quietly. I had a few hours to sleep before I had to go to work and I really just wanted to pass out.

I worked at this little diner called Abby's Diner, named after the owner's late wife. I never thought I'd like to be a waitress. My mouth did this thing called being rude that only hipsters seem to like, but it worked. I haven't been fired yet, so I figured I could keep doing it until something else caught my interest. 

I opened my door and leaned against the side of it, pulling the socks off of my aching feet hazardously. My head shot up at a light crinkle of paper and I let out a sound strikingly similar to a noise I once heard come out of a dog when someone stepped on its tail. The frozen back of a man met me, the things from my desk flung across the top of it in front of him. Things that used to be on shelves now littered the floor. Every drawer in the room seemed to be open. He slowly turned until his cold eyes met mine, holding me in my spot for far longer than they should have. He breathed in loudly and I finally found it in myself to move. I stepped back with every intention of running, but before I could he was suddenly two inches away from my face, making me stumble back.

Someone clearly hasn't heard of personal space, I thought shakily.

I was used to the creatures by now. I pretended they weren't there and in return, they didn't bother me for the most part. Not much to worry about. I'd had encounters like this before, but I could just feel that this was different. His short black hair added to his overall intimidating look but it was his hard sharp facial features that made my heart jump in terror. He could almost be interpreted as gorgeous if he wasn't looking at me like I was his next meal. 

I had a feeling he liked playing with his meals before he ate them.

He leaned forward and breathed in deeply before taking a step back. There was something about the way he looked at me. It didn't inspire confidence that I wasn't about to be cut into tiny pieces and fed to my unknowing roommate. Two fangs revealed themselves from under the top of his lip and he licked them. A shadow fell over his face and he laughed almost to himself.

"You must be Echo," he said with a smile that was most definitely not for my benefit.

I swallowed and shook my head in denial.

He scowled. "Now, now. Don't lie to me, Echo."

Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit.

My heart thudded loudly in my chest. I heard a shaky breath leave me as I gave a quivering smile. I forced myself to turn, letting my unsteady legs take me as fast as they could down the hallway. A hollow laugh met the back of my neck just before the pain registered and blackness fell over me. Nightmares would be filled with that laugh.

A U T H O R ' S    N O T E

Heya, Lovelies.

Thanks for giving this a read.

If you enjoyed it, let me know by giving it a vote.

If you have any feedback, I'd be eternally grateful if you let me know in a comment.

Happy reading!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.9M 94.4K 78
(𝐬𝐭𝐞𝐚𝐦𝐲 𝐬𝐡𝐢𝐟𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐫𝐨𝐦𝐚𝐧𝐜𝐞🔞) Three mates. One destiny. A world on the brink of destruction. At 27, Riley thought she knew who she w...
24.5K 2.3K 42
She didn't have to know yet. I would allow nature do its job in this life. Our lives never included normal, it was our curse and our blessing. But wh...
312 13 16
***"Scream if you find anything" He says "I have my- "I begin to say realizing my gun was no longer with me. "Yeah I took your gun when we came here"...
133K 6.8K 79
Alexa, a normal human girl who all her life had mocked supernatural stories is unaware of her destiny she's born to fulfill, and now on her 21st birt...