Under the Gray Willow Tree

By angelyntjf

Meet Willow Rayne, the girl who lost her family on that one fateful day. And now, meet Gray Lopez, the guy wi... More

Foreword
Tapas
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Epilogue

Chapter 10

7K 128 27
By angelyntjf

Ring!

The bell signalling the end of school echoed through the empty hallways and the classrooms. Honestly speaking, I am not really looking forward to the rest of today, at all. I still haven't received any threats from him since that last message though... Which is very awkward, considering the amount of text messages he has been sending me these few days.

"Willow tree... Let's go..." Gray whispered into my ear.

I nodded slightly and walked slowly out of the classroom, trailing behind him, my knees feel like they're growing weak. I didn't feel like coming to school in the first place this morning. I felt like just staying at home for the whole day.

But of course, I can't.

The minute we stepped outside of the school building, the chilly and cool breeze made us shiver. Well, I did anyway. We reached Gray's car and he held open the car door for me to enter.

"Thank you," I mumbled, before slipping in.

He got into the driver's seat and immediately revved up the car, as if by instinct. He pulled out of the school parking lot and drove onto the main road.

"You know something ironic?" he asked randomly.

"What?" I replied without thinking.

"There are lots of lots in a parking lot."

I chuckled at his failed attempt of a joke. I shook my head. "Seriously? That is so random."

He snickered at my comment. "I know."

I rolled my eyes. And the nervousness just came flooding back to me. I started drumming my fingers on my lap. Not rhythmic at all. Just five more minutes, just five more minutes, just five more minutes, I tell myself, trying, in vain, to comfort myself, but obviously failing at it.

"Willow tree... Are you alright?" Gray asked me, his voice full of concern, glancing at me from the driver's side.

Once again, I gave him a silent nod in answer to his question. I heard him sigh loudly from beside me as he continued driving down the road, both his eyes totally focused on the road ahead, while both of mine were focused on my fingers.

I closed my eyes in exhaustion, but I felt my heart started beating faster, a lot faster. Calm down Willow, calm down. There's nothing to worry about, Willow, nothing at all. Gosh! If anyone could read my thoughts, they'd probably think I was trying to comfort a three-year-old or something.

I chuckled at my own failed attempt of trying to comfort myself.

I leaned my head against the window, cold from the chilly air on the outside. But honestly speaking, it is not very cold already. Normally, it should be a lot colder this time of year – which is around mid-winter – but apparently, not this year. Normally...

My fingers eventually stopped drumming against my thigh due to boredom. Yes, even fingers can get bored! Not the sarcasm. So, I just sat there, in the passenger's seat of Gray's silver Toyota Altis, almost totally motionless.

So just sat there, listening to the soft droning sound of the car engine that was bound to eventually lull me to sleep at one point or another. If the drive were at least an hour long.

I opened my eyes and looked out onto the road. I noticed that I'm almost home. I'm almost home. Don't worry Willow, you're almost home. See, those messages that I have been receiving are all just empty threats sent by a jealous high scholar. They're all just empty, useless threats, used to get on one's nerve or make their skin crawl.

Which reminds me, I haven't told Gray about the threats yet, have I? I don't want to tell anybody about the threats. So right now, only the sender and I know about it, and I plan on keeping it that way.

I am being selfish. Because I don't want to worry anyone. I don't need anyone keeping an eye on me twenty-four-seven. I can look after myself perfectly fine. And besides, I don't want to trouble anyone about it either.

Suddenly, I felt the car jerk to a stop. My eyes shot open and immediately darted around my surroundings, as if by instinct. For one panic-stricken second, I heard the sound of the horn of a truck. So much for 'those are all just empty threats'. I had said that too soon. But who knows, this might just be a coincidence.

I just had enough time to see the bright blinding lights of the truck rushing towards my side of the car before they collided.

I felt sharp pain shoot up my joints and body briefly, before I blacked out.

~~~ ♥ ~~ ♥ ~~ ♥ ~~~

I slowly blinked myself awake. I could feel pain shooting up all my joints. My head was throbbing like there was no end. I gasped from the amount of pain I was feeling at the moment. The pain was totally excruciating! Someone grabbed my hand and squeezed it, only so softly. Even more pain shot up my arm.

"Urgh," a groan escaped my lips.

"Willow tree?" someone's panicked voice filled my ears,

I tried opening my eyes wider, to let more light in. But it was just blinding my eyes, so I immediately closed them to shield myself from the light.

"Are you awake?" the same voice asked me again.

"Oh, I'm not. I'm just talking in my sleep," I replied, very sarcastically.

One of the things someone can ask you when you are obviously awake.

I heard him chuckle. I'm pretty sure it's a 'him' because the voice is too low to be a female's voice. I tried opening my eyes once more. The light was just as blinding as before. But this time, I was smarter as to squint my eyes instead of opening it fully like how I did just now.

I could see someone with dark brown hair and strikingly beautiful grey eyes staring intently at me.

"Gray?" I asked, my voice barely audible above all the noise from the outside.

He nodded. "Shush," he whispered into my ear, putting a finger on my lips.

A sudden pain hit my ribs as I tried to move. I gasped once more in pain.

"You bruised your ribs from the accident," Gray informed me.

"Oh," I said, feeling pretty stupid.

Which explains it, a small voice in my head said. Well, at least it is a lot better than broken ribs. Hey! A girl's got to stay positive in dark moments.

Gray opened his mouth to say something, but the door that suddenly burst open made him close it. A stream of people in white clothes came in. Whatever he had to say, though, must have been something important or serious, because the word 'serious' is written all over his face.

"Sir, would you kindly leave this room? Now that she's finally awake, we need to do a medical check-up on her to make sure that no vital organs are being injured due to the crash," the guy, who is probably the doctor, told Gray, nodding towards my still figure on the hospital bed at the same time.

Wait, crash? Now that he mentioned it, Gray did mention something about an accident just now... What could they be talking about... Oh no! Does that mean I have a memory lost? Oh wait. I do know what they're talking about. How could I have forgotten the terrible crash?

We collided head-on into a truck. Well, actually, we were just stationary and the truck collided head-on my side of the car. And now that I think of it, why did Gray just stay there? He could have moved and the accident wouldn't have happened in the first place. Ah well! He was probably too petrified to do anything at that particular moment.

It happens!

But, I can't remember a single thing that happened after that... I must've blacked out. Until now. Which reminds me. Again! How long was I out? I made a mental note to ask that question as soon as I got the chance.

"Yes doctor, I understand," I heard Gray answer, but only so vaguely.

Hah! So I was right. That guy in the white coat is the doctor! Gosh, I sound so childish right now. It's a good thing I'm not saying all this out loud.

Gray stole a glance at me one last time before exiting the hospital ward. The doctor in the white coat and a stethoscope that hung from his shoulder, along with several other nurses, crowded around my bed.

"Don't be scared, okay? We're just going to run some tests on you," one of the nurses tried to reassure me.

But I am not afraid of pain.

"Whatever," I muttered.

I suddenly felt so drowsy. They must have drugged me or something, or I won't just feel sleepy all of a sudden. My eyelids were way too heavy already. I can't stay awake for much longer. But despite that fact, I still fight to stay awake.

I groaned in exhaustion. I give up trying to stay awake. I am just way too tired to even bother. I glanced around the room for one last time, just as the door swung open.

I don't know if it was just my imagination, but I saw Gray standing outside, in the hallway, talking to someone... How do I put this? Suspicious-looking... He turned around and out eyes met for just a brief second, before the door shut, breaking our eye contact.

It might just be my imagination though... As I seem to always be imagining things when I am very tired and such, but honestly speaking, who knows? Only Gray does. Not me. I don't know if what I saw really did happen, or if it was just a figment of my imagination. Only Gray knows. And if he doesn't want to tell me about it, by all means.

I just hope that he's not lying to me. I hate people who lie. Especially in a relationship. A relationship is built on a foundation of trust, and if someone lies, that foundation will be broken, and the relationship will not work again. I just hope that that would not happen to me and Gray, because I really want this relationship to work.

He's all I have left to cling onto in this world of ours.

Exhaustion soon got the better of me, and I closed my eyes. I fell into a deep, slumber sleep, before I could even think the two words I always tell myself every night before I go to sleep: Sweet dreams...

____________

Dun-dun-dun! Heheh! If you want to know what is going to happen next, check back tomorrow! I'll be updating! XDD Anyways, thanks for sticking with me up to here! I hope you stay around for more!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

72.4K 3.2K 49
Skyler Lopez is a girl, who is... different from others. She knows someone's darkest secret, as soon as she looks into their eyes. She's relieved whe...
198 63 42
"Secrets swirl beneath the surface in the quaint town of Willow Creek, and the close-knit community is thrown into turmoil when a famous local artist...
33.9K 660 38
Aurora Lopez had the intentions and goals of starting new, and having a normal life. She was met with difficulties along the way, and one of those di...
Tandem By Lauren

Mystery / Thriller

711 16 33
October 2070. Raechel Harchey enters The Gauze, ready to undergo a surgical transfer to replace the traumatic memory of her family's fatal car accide...