The Bachelor's Housekeeper

By PrettyH6

With her mother ill, and a younger brother to take care of, Rebecca is forced to take the first job offered t... More

The Bachelor's Housekeeper
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5

Chapter 6

16.8K 362 25
By PrettyH6

Rebecca stood in front of the mirror in her room, studying her reflection with a frown. Jeremy had called her to tell her that she was to join them for dinner that evening, something that she was not prepared for. Her refusals to do so had gone unacknowledged by Jeremy, who had hung up after giving her the message.

With a groan, she removed the peach colored dress and reached for a black one. Putting it on, she moved back to the mirror. Smoothing her hands over her hips, she turned to her side, 'this should do it!' she scrunched her face. Glancing at her watch she quickly pulled her hair up to a lose bun and pinned it up. After applying her makeup which consisted of a light pink lipstick, soft blush and very minimal eyeliner and shadow, she slipped her feet into her low pumps.

After a quick check on the mirror, she took a deep breath and walked out of her room. Making her way to the kitchen, she did not see Jeremy coming down the stairs until he was a few steps away from her. With a surprised gasp, Rebecca turned to him.

'Oh, hi!' she smiled at him, pushing away a lose strand from her face. 'I didn't hear you come in.'

Jeremy had stopped on the third stair, his hand on the cufflink he was trying to pin. His eyes travelled down her body, taking in the black dress and low pumps. She looked good, great actually. He frowned, wondering where that thought came from.

When he did not reply, Rebecca ran wiped her hands on her stomach, 'i-is this ok? I was not sure how formal the dinner was.'

Jeremy mentally shook himself into reality. Clearing his throat he made his way down the remaining stairs. 'It's fine.'

Rebecca frowned. He did not sound impressed, 'I could always change if it's not appropriate.'

'No, I said it was fine.' Jeremy made his way to the dining room, as he left Rebecca staring after him. He walked straight to the liquor cabinet, poured himself a shot and downed it in a gulp.

'Are you alright?' Rebecca walked in with plates in her hands. She went forth to set the dining table, opting to use the smaller table in the room.

His friends had always wondered why he had two tables in the room. It was all his mother's fault. He had wanted a huge table for entertaining his friends, but his mother had wanted the intimacy of a small table for a small family. To appease his mother he made a decision of having to dining tables, one a centre piece while the other on the side.

'Jeremy, are you ok?' Rebecca asked again as she stood straight from leaning over the table to place the plates down.

'Why do you ask?'

Rebecca shrugged, 'you seem preoccupied.'

Jeremy cocked his eyes, 'so you now know me well enough to know when I am preoccupied?'

Rebecca bent her head to hide her blush and disappointment. She did not mean to pry, she just wanted to know what was bothering him. Her mother had always told her that if there was something that she could do to help a person with thoughts.

'I am sorry, I didn't mean to pry,' she gave him a small, tight smile and turned away from him, walking to the kitchen.

Jeremy closed his eyes and took a deep breath, 'Becca..'

Rebecca turned, 'yes?'

He opened his mouth to apologize, only to be interrupted by the doorbell. 'Get that,' he said instead as he turned to pour himself another drink

Rebecca took a deep breath to calm herself down. She had never been discharged that way, ever! Walking slowly to the door, she pasted a smile before pulling it open.

'Hello!'  a cheerful voice greeted her as she pulled the door open.

Rebecca's smile deepened, becoming real as she watched the petite woman walk into the house, her heels clicking on tiled floor. 'hi, Shona.'

'You remember my name,' Shona laughed as she removed her jacket and placed it on the jacket holder. 'I thought you wouldn't remember me with my clothes on.'

Rebecca blushed faintly as the other woman reminded her of the first time they met. 'No, I remember you. Please follow me,' she led the way to where Jeremy was.

'Darling!' Shona exclaimed as she threw herself in Jeremy's arms.

Rebecca swung from leg to leg as she witnessed the couple kissing as though she was not there. Blushing she turned to head to the kitchen when the doorbell rang. Turning to see if Jeremy and Shona were done, she shook her head and went to the front door.

'Aah, you must be my date for tonight,' Marko drawled as his eyes travelled up and down on her body. 'A very sexy date, for that matter.'

Rebecca ducked her head to hide the pink flush as she moved aside to let Marko in. 'Jeremy and Shona are already in the dining room,' she told him as she made her way to the kitchen. She quickly switched off the stove and started arranging the serving plate.

'Need any help?'

Rebecca turned in surprise at the voice, 'I-no, I am alright.' She watched as Marko came into the room, a glass of whiskey in his hand.

'Oh, I don't mind,' he said as he stopped in front of her, his smile that of amusement. 'I have to escape the kissing couple anyway They can't seem to keep their hands off each other. Have they been like that since Shona arrived?'

Rebecca shrugged and refrained from answering, instead she focused on the job at hand. Balancing the serving dish, she started making her way to the dining room.

'Give me that,' Marko said as he placed his drink on the cabinet top and reached for the serving platter in Rebecca's hands.

'It's alright,' Rebecca replied as she tried to go around him.

'Nonsense,' Marko removed the platter and led the way. 'Come with my drink, will you.'

Rebecca stopped for a few seconds, staring after the tall man before her before shaking herself back to reality and collecting his drink and following him.

'Lady and gentleman, dinner is served,' Marko called as he strode into the dining room.

Shona turned from Jeremy's arms, 'mmh, something smells delicious!' she took a seat that Jeremy was holding out for her. 'Looks delicious as well!'

Jeremy took a seat next to Shona, 'can't wait to tuck in.'

Rebecca started pulling her own chair when Marko stopped her. 'Nonsense,' he mumbled. 'You are my date so it's my pleasure to hold the chair for you.'

Rebecca smiled up at Marko, missing the slight frown on Jeremy's face. 'Thank you, Marko.'

'Anything for my pretty date.'

Shona burst out laughing, 'when was the last time you were on a date, Marko? You seem so excited!'

'It's not frequent that I get a date with a woman who has read my work and appreciated it.'

Shona turned her brown eyes to Rebecca, 'really now?'

Jeremy cleared his throat, 'I am famished! Can we eat?'

For a few minutes, there was silence as everyone started serving themselves. Rebecca was a bit worried about the food. Even though she was a good cook, she had only cooked for her family and Lily and no one else.

She sat there watching the reactions of the people around her as they took the initial bites from their plates.

'Mmmh!' Shona exclaimed, her eyes closed. 'You have got to give me this recipe!' she opened her eyes and pinned them on Rebecca.

'You are right, Shona,' Marko agreed around a forkful of salmon. 'About the 'mmmhh' part. I don't think getting the recipe will help me get the same taste.' He reached for his glass and raised it to Rebecca's direction.

Rebecca blushed and ducked her head, 'it's all in the sauce. Making it from scratch and not relying in the packet ones.'

'What do you think, Jer?' Marko asked. 'You have been quiet for a while. The salmon got you tongue tied?'

Jeremy shot his friend a dark look before sitting back on his chair and shrugging, 'it's ok.'

For some reason, unknown to her, Rebecca was disappointed by the reply. Hiding it, she took a bite from her plate.

Marko cleared his throat, 'so, Becky, how does it feel to work for the tyrant that is Jeremy?'

Rebecca swallowed hard and cleared her throat. 'Umh,' she turned to Jeremy, only to turn back to her food because of the narrowed gaze he was giving her. 'I won't call him a tyrant. And considering that this is my first employment and he is my first boss, I have nothing to compare him to.'

Marko and Shona laughed, 'I am sure you would not be saying that if he wasn't in the room,' Shona smiled. 'I know him, honey, and he can be a bit of a grump.' She softened her words by rubbing his arm.

Jeremy smirked at that, leaning forward to place a kiss on Shona's lips before he reached for his glass and moving back to study Rebecca. 'Be open. What you say will not affect your job.'

Rebecca shook her head, 'maybe if I am asked this question after more time here I will be able to give a legit reply.'

'Cautious,' Marko nodded as he downed his drink. He sat back and rubbed his stomach. 'That was great. Please tell me there is dessert.'

Rebecca smiled at him. The way he was rubbing his stomach reminded her of Max. 'Actually there is.' Rebecca said as she started to stand up.

Marko was up before her, pulling her chair for her. 'I'll help you.'

'You don't really have to do that,' Rebecca gave him a small smile, sending a pleading look to Jeremy, only to find him busy with Shona. Do they ever get tired of that, she thought as she turned back to Marko, finding him staring at her.

'Well?' Marko raised an eyebrow on her, a smile playing on his lips. Reaching out he took two of the dirty dishes and waited for Rebecca to do the same.

Taking a deep breath and knowing that she was not able to shake him off. 'Ok, more hands won't hurt.'

'That's what I would like to hear,' Marko led the way. Once in the kitchen, he placed the dirty plates in the sink and moved to the side to give Rebecca access to the sink as well. Leaning on the cabinet, he crossed his arms in front of him and studied her. 'I hope I did not force you to break up a date with your boyfriend.'

Rebecca turned to him in the process of collecting dessert plates from the other side of the kitchen, 'sorry?'

'I mean I must have sprung this on you this evening, I hope I did not disrupt a date or something,' he shrugged, studying her through hooded eyes.

Rebecca blushed as she shook her head, 'no date disrupted.'

'Only today?'

'Or any other day,' Rebecca  replied without looking at him. 'Do you mind getting the forks? They are in the drawer behind you.'

Marko turned to collect the forks, 'so do you mind me asking you why there are no dates in your life?' He saw the frown start to form on her face, 'it's cool if you don't want to talk about it.'

Rebecca bit on her lip before walking to where he was and coping his stance, 'well, I could say that I was busy with school, didn't want to disappoint my single mother who was working double or triple shifts or that I had no time because I was busy taking care of my little brother,' she smiled. 'But the truth is that I just didn't find the guy I could really talk to, who understood me.'

'Wow!' Marko laughed. 'I wasn't expecting you to open up that fast.'

Rebecca laughed a little and shrugged, 'you asked, I answered.'

Marko laughed, 'that I did.'

Jeremy broke the kiss from Shona at the sounds coming from the kitchen.

'Mmh,' Shona placed a kiss on his neck. 'Can't wait for this dinner to end so that I can have my real dessert.'

Jeremy ran a hand through her hair, his thoughts on the people in the kitchen. Moving he placed a kiss on her lips before standing, 'then let me go and see what is keeping them.'

Shona reached for his hand, 'let Marko have a little fun, why don't you?' she smiled 'He seems to have a soft eye on her.'

Jeremy's jaw tightened at that. 'Yeah, well they can have their moment when we are done with dinner,' he removed Shona's hand and continued to the kitchen. Walking in he found Marko and Rebecca standing side by side, both having smiles on their faces. 'We are waiting for that dessert.'

Marko smirked at his friend, 'thought you had already started  on your dessert?'

Jeremy shot his friend a fierce look. 'Becca, dessert, now. So this idiot can head home.'

'I might just take Becky with me,' Marko shrugged.

'I need her in the morning. Two minutes,' Jeremy said before he turned on his heels and headed back to the dining room. There was no way was he going to allow Marko to take Rebecca anywhere. He knew his friend and his reputation with the ladies, it was just the same as his.

'From that look on your face, it seems they had started on their dessert as well,' Shona observed as Jeremy walked in and took his seat.

His hand formed a fist on his lap, not wanting to think about what Marko and Rebecca were doing in the kitchen.

He was saved from answering her as Marko and Rebecca walked in with plates of some cheese cake. He frowned.

Rebecca saw the frown and hesitated as she placed the plate in front of him, 'you don't like cheese cake?' she asked with a degree of uncertainty.

He looked up and shook his head, 'No, it's fine.' He said and took a bite the moment she placed the plate in front of him. He had to stop himself from groaning as the cheese cake melted in his mouth. She had made the cheese cake the way he liked it, the soft moisture melting in his mouth. The flavor tickling his taste buds.

Marko sat back and placed his arm behind Rebecca's chair as she sat down, 'I must say that this has been the best dinner invitation I have ever received from Jeremy.'

'And why is that?' Jeremy narrowed his eyes slightly at the hand his friend had behind Rebecca.

'Well,' Marko let his finger outline the sleeve of Rebecca's dress. 'For once, it's a real home cooked meal and I get to sit next to the beautiful chef.'

Rebecca looked up at Marko and smiled, 'thank you.'

'No, thank you. I'll steal you one day so that you can cook for me at my house,' Marko shot a look at his friend. 'I am sure Jer won't mind.'

Rebecca's smile wavered a bit, not sure if Marko was just teasing her or he really wanted her to cook for him. 'w-well..'

'It's all up to her. Just make sure that it's not during the times I am paying her for.' Jeremy replied, keeping his face averted from Marko. He knew what his best friend was up to, trying to stir him up for no good reason. And what reason would he have to get riled up on what Marko does with Rebecca or doesn't. He turned to Shona and took her hand, placing a kiss on her palm.

Marko smiled brightly, 'good! Then we can make a plan, Becky?'

Rebecca just blinked at him, not sure as to what really happened. 'O-ok, I guess.'

'It's a date then,' Marko said as he was standing up. 'I'll help you clean up.'

'No,' Jeremy stopped him. 'Why don't you let Shona help Becca clean up. I need to talk to you about something involving work.' He did not wait for his friend to reply but rather got up and walked to the sitting room.

'It's ok, I can do it,' Rebecca said as she watched Shona collect the plates.

Shona got up, 'I don't mind. Besides when they start talking about work they become very boring.'

Jeremy watched as his friend smiled down at Rebecca before following him. When he was sure that the ladies were far enough he turned on him, 'what the hell are you playing at?'

Marko looked surprised, 'not sure I follow you, buddy.'

'You and Becca. What are you trying to prove?'

'It's Becky, I am sure she has told you a dozen times,' Marko folded his arms before him and leaned on the sofa he was standing next to. 'And I have nothing to prove. I am a free man, and as it stands, so is she. And she is a nice girl, someone I think can carry a conversation with me. I am yet to sit with her so we can discuss my report and her take on the economic situation we are all facing.'

'Don't act so innocent, Marko!' Jeremy gritted his teeth. 'I know you and Becca is not the type of woman that you could date.'

Marko shrugged, 'things change, preferences change. Maybe I want someone who is more brains than boobs. I still don't know why you are riled up. It's not like you have the hots for her.'

Jeremy turned away from his friend. Why was he being defensive and why was he angry at Marko? As he pointed out, Rebecca and him were single adults and were free to do whatever they pleased. Taking a deep breath, he turned back to his friend, his eyes dark. 'Fine, you go ahead and have fun with her.'

'It's not like I need permission from you,' Marko retorted.

'But if you hurt her, I'll break that nose on that handsome face of yours,' Jeremy continued as though Marko had not spoken.

Marko laughed, 'we will see.' He walked to where his friend was standing, placed a hand on his shoulder, 'you need to get laid, dude. Make sure that Shona gets home in the early hours of the morning though, she needs to work still.' Marko left him.

Jeremy stood where he was, hearing Marko bide his good nights to the ladies before the front door opened and closed. Taking a deep breath, he calmed himself, shaking off the tension that he did not understand.

When hands went around his waist, he turned and placed a kiss on Shona's upturned face. 'Becky has already gone to bed,' she told him, her eyes sparkling. 'Are you ready for your ultimate dessert?'

Jeremy pulled her closer to him, dipped his head and claimed her lips with his, kissing her deep and hard as though trying to drown a demon that was in his head. Maybe Marko was right. Maybe he just needed a night of love making.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.1M 37.5K 27
A young maid in distress, working for a family her mother needed to repay. Unfortunately, her mother passed away a few months ago, and now she has to...
384K 14.5K 62
Bella just lost the love of her life, her family is broke and she has no job. When her friend Alice finds a job for her as the maid of the most cold...
62K 3.3K 28
Nina had moved into the city life not too far outside of New York City a few months ago and had made already a few good friends who happened to be he...
289K 13.9K 48
Isabella Blake was looking for a job to get away from her possessive, abusive boyfriend. She dropped her diary while in the city when a handsome man...