A Twist of Fate (1D series...

By JossieLeia

Jo Andrews Sam was your typical average high school girl. There was nothing pretty about her. Nothing excitin... More

A Twist of Fate
A ЂώζЅŧ of Fate ♪ Prologue
A ЂώζЅŧ of Fate ♪ Two
A ЂώζЅŧ of Fate ♪ Three
A ЂώζЅŧ of Fate ♪ Four
*Author's Note ~ 1D world tour's venues request ~ * CLOSED
A ЂώζЅŧ of Fate ♪ Five
A ЂώζЅŧ of Fate ♪ Six
A ЂώζЅŧ of Fate ♪ Seven
A ЂώζЅŧ of Fate ♪ Eight
A ЂώζЅŧ of Fate ♪ Nine
A ЂώζЅŧ of Fate ♪ Ten
A ЂώζЅŧ of Fate ♪ Eleven
A ЂώζЅŧ of Fate ♪ Twelve
A ЂώζЅŧ of Fate ♪ Thirteen
A ЂώζЅŧ of Fate ♪ Fourteen
A ЂώζЅŧ of Fate ♪ Fifteen
A ЂώζЅŧ of Fate ♪ Sixteen
A ЂώζЅŧ of Fate ♪ Seventeen
A ЂώζЅŧ of Fate ♪ Eighteen
A ЂώζЅŧ of Fate ♪ Nineteen
A ЂώζЅŧ of Fate ♪ Twenty
A ЂώζЅŧ of Fate ♪ Twenty-one
A ЂώζЅŧ of Fate ♪ Twenty-two
A ЂώζЅŧ of Fate ♪ Twenty-three
A ЂώζЅŧ of Fate ♪ Twenty-four
A ЂώζЅŧ of Fate ♪ Twenty-five
A ЂώζЅŧ of Fate ♪ Twenty-six
A ЂώζЅŧ of Fate ♪ Twenty-seven
A ЂώζЅŧ of Fate ♪ Twenty-eight
A ЂώζЅŧ of Fate ♪ Twenty-nine
A ЂώζЅŧ of Fate ♪Thirty
A ЂώζЅŧ of Fate ♪ Thirty-one
A ЂώζЅŧ of Fate ♪ Thirty-two
A ЂώζЅŧ of Fate ♪ Thirty-three
A ЂώζЅŧ of Fate ♪ Thirty-four
A ЂώζЅŧ of Fate ♪ Thirty-five
A ЂώζЅŧ of Fate ♪ Thirty-six
A ЂώζЅŧ of Fate ♪ Thirty-seven
A ЂώζЅŧ of Fate ♪ Thirty-eight
A ЂώζЅŧ of Fate ♪ Thirty-nine
A ЂώζЅŧ of Fate ♪ Forty
A ЂώζЅŧ of Fate ♪ Forty-one
A ЂώζЅŧ of Fate ♪ Forty-two
A ЂώζЅŧ of Fate ♪ Epilogue

A ЂώζЅŧ of Fate ♪ One

86.5K 570 40
By JossieLeia

The best love story is when you fall in love with the most unexpected person at the most unexpected time. ~ Unknown

♪  ♫  ♪  ♫  ♪  ♫  ♪  ♫  ♪  ♫  ♪  ♫  ♪  ♫  ♪  ♫  ♪  ♫  ♪ ♫  ♪ ♫  ♪  ♫   ♪  ♫  ♪ ♫  ♪ ♫  ♪ ♫  ♪

2012 © All rights reserved

A ЂώζЅŧ of Fate ♪ One

The screams of the drowning crowd nearly broke my ear drums. I still could not believe I had agreed to coming to this silly thing with Val. It was nearly four and the crowd was growing hysterical at the anticipation of seeing the five boys.

The news of performing on the same stage with One Direction haven’t really settle in. When I told Val, she was ecstatically over the moon. She made me promised to get her backstage passes and stuff. Of course, I couldn’t – since I myself did not know what was going to happen. I don’t want to bring up her hopes only to crash it.

“ARE YOU READY?!” The stage host yelled and the screams went louder as I hastily pulled my hands over my ears. “I CAN’T HEAR YOU!” Oh my goodness, was she deaf or what? The whole of England could hear this crowd here! “YOU NEED TO BE MUCH LOUDER!” I was so going to faint, as Val started getting high next to me jumping up and down.

“… ONE DIRECTION!”

The crowd went crazy as the first guy stepped onto the stage, until the five of them appeared before us. Immediately, they plunged into their famous hit ‘What Makes You Beautiful’.

I was quite awestruck by the first guy who sang – the guy whom I thought was better-looking – Liam Payne. In fact I thought he sang better than Harry, whom everyone went crazy over. Perhaps such things are quite subjective. It just depends on what kind of songs or voices you like personally. For me, Liam’s voice was acceptable. It was the first time I’ve heard this song and to my surprise, I actually liked it. It was quite catchy and your body would just moved along with the beats.

When they finally settled down into their seats for the autography to start, I heard myself let out a sigh of relief – finally it was going to start.

Even though we came at ten, we were like in the twenties. There were at least twenty other people ahead of us. Val told me that some fans queued overnight to be at the front. I told myself, I would never ever do that in my life. How crazy and totally a waste of time. Thank goodness I brought my Ipad along although it didn’t quite lasted till four.

“Do I have to go up with you?” I asked awkwardly as we moved along with the line.

Val tucked my arm firmly under hers, “Yes.”

The line moved surprisingly fast. I soon found out that the crew did not allow the fans to linger around the stage. You move along the line, up the stage, down the table where the guys will sign for you on whatever you have brought, no photos, maybe a few words, then off you go. Six hours for just a miserable less than five minutes thing – I shook my head.

Finally, our turn.

Val dragged me up the stage as her face plastered with a huge smile towards the first seated guy. Black-haired and middle-eastern features, I almost laughed at his hair. How high did that guy combed his hair? It must be six centimetres at least! He uttered a shy ‘Hi’ and took over the poster Val handed to him.

“Hi there, what’s your name?” The guy seated next in line, greeted us with a wide smile – ah, Louis Tomlinson. I remembered his name. He actually looked good, I must admit. Very attractive smile – reminded me of JGS.

“Va…l…er…ie,” I heard Val’s stammering voice and he chuckled. She forgot to introduce me, or was I supposed to introduce myself?

“And you?” He looked up at me as he addressed his question to me.

Since it was rude not to answer, I replied curtly, “Jo.”

“Hi Jo,” he flashed me his killer smile which I smiled lightly in return out of politeness.

“Hi Louis.” He must be puzzled by my lack of enthusiasm.

Next in line was a young looking boy with yellow hair. He looked like the youngest in the band (which Val told me later he wasn’t). I think Niall was his name.

A curly haired boy followed after. This was the Harry everybody was crazy after. He had a great charisma and his smile was so heart warming.

“Hi there!” his hand did not stop signing even though he briefly looked up. “You girls from around here?”

“Yeah,” Val gushed as she blushed furiously. “Thornyard High.”

I saw his eyebrow arched as though the name sounded familiar. “We have something going on with Thornyard, isn’t it?” He asked the guy on his left – the final guy seated at the table – Liam Payne. I felt my heart did a flip when he replied.

“I believe so,” he pondered. “I think our performance is with Thornyard Band.”

“Oh right!” Light dawned upon Harry. “You don’t happen to be in band, do you?” He chuckled, almost expecting to hit a no for an answer.

“I am,” I answered as-a-matter-of-factly.

“Cool,” this time, he did paid a little more attention to me. So did Liam.

“What do you play?” Liam asked in his mellow voice.

“Percussion.”

“Awesome,” both of them chorused together.

Our conversation had to end since the crew were trying to hurry us off the stage.

“See you around then,” Harry offered as he waved a goodbye before turning to the next poster to sign.

♪  ♫  ♪  ♫  ♪  ♫  ♪  ♫  ♪  ♫  ♪  ♫  ♪  ♫  ♪  ♫  ♪  ♫  ♪ ♫  ♪ ♫  ♪  ♫   ♪  ♫  ♪ ♫  ♪ ♫  ♪ ♫  ♪

“I can’t believe they actually closed up the school!” I said to Joel as both of us handed our entry pass to the security. I couldn’t believe my eyes when I received the entry pass – An entry pass to enter my school.

He shrugged, “It’s for security reasons. And besides, they don’t want any disturbances during the practices.”

“I guess all these girls must be so envious now,” I mused at the girls outside the school gates, waiting to catch a glimpse of One Direction when they arrived later.

“Yeah, they must hate you,” he laughed. Joel was surprised by my lack of enthusiasm after hearing the news when all the other girls were jumping over the moon.

“I can’t believe we have to have five consecutive days of practices…” I grumbled. No matter how much I loved playing in the band, five days of practices was a chore.

“Well, at least we get to appear on TV,” he said in a consoling tone.

“I doubt you can even catch three seconds of yourself on TV,” I smirked. We climbed up the ascending stairs that led to the second level where the music room was housed.

He smiled, “Nevertheless, it’s an experience.”

I nodded in agreement. It wasn’t as if I had never appeared on TV before. Being in one of the best bands in town, we often received invitations for gigs during big events. But frankly speaking, it was my first time playing for a boy band. Playing pop songs was fun. Songs like Abba Gold, Glenn Miller, American Graffiti and American in Paris were common for us. So, One Direction’s songs did not proved to be that difficult – only problem was the coordination with the boys. I hoped our loud music did not cover up their beautiful voices.

It was one hour before the boys were due to arrive but the music room was already bustling with activities. Players were getting ready, setting up their instruments and doing their warming up. The rest of the percussionists have already arrived – Stuart, James, Gerald, Felicity and Stephen, and they were busy doing the usual routine stretching exercises. After depositing my bag at one corner, I took up my pair of drumsticks and joined them.

“Are you excited?” Felicity asked.

I smiled. We were the only female percussionists – the roses among the thorns. It was rare to find female percussionists and especially one who played the drums – me. Since I was more tomboy and less interested in guys (or rather, less attractive to guys), all the attention went to Felicity instead, which didn’t really bother me. She was a great girl; kind at heart and absolutely fun to be with, not to say her stunning pretty looks which could melt any guy’s heart.

“Okay…” I shrugged.

“Only okay?” she sounded amused. “Five super hot looking guys are coming into the band room and it’s only okay for you?” She indicated with a tilt of her head towards the rest of the female creatures in the room. Apart from setting up their instruments and getting ready, they were actually polishing up on their make-up.

I laughed and continued on with my warm-ups.

“Isn’t it a crowd out there?” Stuart commented.

“Yeah!” I heard James replied. “Sure is! That’s your typical girl crowd; gorging over a bunch of guys.”

“Damn, why don’t I get such attention?” Stuart’s comment left us all laughing out loud. He didn’t mean it, of course. He was totally contented with his girlfriend Stacey.

“I think Stacey would not be able to cope,” I teased, which only caused him to chuckle.

“Are we all ready with our parts?” Mr. Brown came over to check us out and we nodded. “Great, we’ll be starting soon.”

Joshua, our student conductor, started us off with the usual five-minute warm ups for band, playing the various scales of G, A and B flat. Then we went on with a few warm up songs – Abba Gold, which was so overplayed, That Thing You Do as well as a piece of One Direction’s song – Everything about you. There were only seven pieces of 1D’s music which we need to prepare – Everything about you, What makes you beautiful, I want, Gotta be you, Na na na, Moments, and One Thing. The drum parts were spread between Joel, James and me. It was only when we ended our last note; we heard clapping at the side of the room.

All eyes turned immediately. The boys have arrived! But they managed to sneak in when nobody was paying attention – I guess, we were too busy concentrating on our music.

Everybody started cheering wildly, even me.

Mr. Brown raised his hands, “Okay okay! The boys are here. I think they need no further introduction.” He was grinning silly, from ear to ear. “But let’s give a round of welcome to One Direction once again!”

Harry was the first to speak up after the applause had died down.

“Hi everybody!” His voice came out loud and charismatic. “It is our privilege to be able to perform with you.” The rest of the boys nodded in agreement. “Let’s have a great time together!” Everybody cheered again.

The small music room seemed to have converted to a football stadium all of a sudden as the cheers filled up the entire room.

Mr. Brown invited the boys to step at the front facing us before handing them each a microphone. After some five minutes of sound-checking, our technical sound staff declared the green light with a thumbs-up.

Our resident conductor, Mr. Lee gave each boy a firm handshake before taking up his baton at his usual position with his hands raised as an indication that we were starting soon.

“Let’s do the first piece. What Makes You Beautiful. Is that okay?” he posted his question as he turned his head slightly.

The boys nodded as they got ready in position with Zayn, Harry, Niall, Liam and Louis in a row.

“Who’s taking the drum set for this piece?” Mr. Lee now turned back to the back of the room – the percussion section.  “Jo?”

I stood up from where I was seated and I saw the five pairs of eyes on me.

“Sorry, which song?” I asked sheepishly.

“What Makes You Beautiful,” Mr. Lee replied. “You take it.”

I nodded, took my sticks and plodded down at the drum stool, adjusting the bass pedal and hi-hat to my position.

“All okay?” He posed his question to me directly this time. Apparently, everybody was waiting for me.

“Yup.”

“So, you’ll come in at bar five. And don’t forget to keep your quaver beats constant on the toms. I don’t want any crescendo there. Just let it flow naturally,” he fired his instructions in his usual commanding tone.

I nodded, shifting my music stand once again to get a clear view.

“Okay, let’s start.”

The first beat of the bass came in followed by the cow bell on the second bar. I took my que on bar four landing with a strong first beat of the bass drum with my right foot before attacking the side drum.  At the same time, I heard the first note being sang by Liam.

You’re insecure

Don’t know what for

You’re turning heads when you walked through the do-or-or

Don’t need make up

To cover up

Being the way that you are is enough

When Harry came in with -

Everyone else in the room can see it

Everyone else but you

I tried to remember Mr. Lee’s instruction on keeping my toms beats constant and regular, since it was a crucial beat into the chorus.

Just as we hit the chorus, Mr.Lee cut us off. Somebody was off pitch, somebody was off beat and the boys could not catch the beats into the chorus. So much for our first time chemistry – but it was actually quite common. After adjusting a little here and there, we started all over again.

Throughout the entire rehearsing of this song, I couldn’t help feeling that there were five pairs of eyes on me. Sometimes not all five pairs, but always there was somebody looking at me. It was like, you know or have a feeling, that somebody was watching you. That feeling was unshakable. I guess, like other guys, they must be impressed by a female drummer. I was used to it anyway.

To my surprise, it actually took us only three runs to master this piece together. I would have expected more. When Mr. Lee declared the change of song to Gotta be you, I gladly gave up my seat to Joel. The other pieces I need to play was Na na na and One Thing, which demanded a higher level of skill, which Mr. Lee thought me worthy of. It wasn’t that I’m proud or what. But well, I know I’m good (yeah) and I was always ready to teach. Joel, on the other hand, was gifted in jazz beats and we took time to learn from each other. Since both of us were seniors, we often get the most important parts (that’s the hierarchy usually unless a junior is really good).

Finally after an hour half of practice, Mr. Lee let us off for a twenty-minute break. We have managed to cover two songs, which was not too bad. Our chemistry with the boys was better than expected and Mr. Lee was extremely pleased.

As I stepped out of the room ten minutes later to beat the restroom crowd (the first ten minutes was always crowded), I saw a crowd gathered at the table where the boys were seating. They were friendly and all smiling to give their autographs, but somehow I sensed a wall of reservation about them. The crowd kept their distance, while the boys kept their distance as well. The body guards were standing around keeping order, just in case.

As I walked past the table to the restroom, I heard someone calling my name.

“Jo!”

I turned back. To my surprise, I saw Harry waving at me. He was beckoning for me to join them.

I walked over cautiously, eyeing them suspiciously.

“Hi Jo!” He greeted me cheerfully. Seriously, I was actually surprised he remembered my name.

“You remember me?” I asked, surprised.

“Of course!” He beamed. “After that day when you told me you are from the percussion, I made a note to look out for you.”

“How do you know my name?” I asked curiously for I don’t remember telling him my name.

“Me,” Louis pointed to himself proudly. Oh Yeah, I did told Louis.

“Oh,” I smiled. “I didn’t think you’d remember.”

“You are so cool back there!” Louis remarked. “How long have you playing drums?”

“Since middle school…” I was trying to think in my head the answer.

“Why did you choose to play drums?” The yellow-haired cutie asked. I think his name was Niall.

I shrugged. “Well… I didn’t like sports. I don’t really like clubs and I don’t like cheer leading. Plus I like music. So, I joined the band. And the teacher just dumped me in percussion since my sense of rhythm was good.”

I could see their eyes glittered with interest.

“Can you teach me?” Louis asked, almost in a pleading voice.

“Huh?” I frowned.

“I like to learn to play the drums,” he grinned.

“Okay…” I answered. “But how?”

He grinned again, “I’m sure we can find some time.”

“Okay…”

Mr. Brown’s voice rang out from behind us, calling for us to return to our seats. I excused myself from the boys, and rushed into the restroom.

♪  ♫  ♪  ♫  ♪  ♫  ♪  ♫  ♪  ♫  ♪  ♫  ♪  ♫  ♪  ♫  ♪  ♫  ♪ ♫  ♪ ♫  ♪  ♫   ♪  ♫  ♪ ♫  ♪ ♫  ♪ ♫  ♪

The next day of practice went like the same as the previous day.

I got through the crazy crowd of girls into the band room and proceeded with my stretching exercises.

“Jo!” The girls gathered around me, even those whom I rarely spoken with.

“How come you are on so good terms with the guys?”

“How come they know your name?”

“How come they know you?”

They started bombarding me questions which turned my head into a frenzy.

“Whoa!” I waved them to stop. “I don’t know!”

“I’m so envious,” Felicity pouted after the crowd of girls had been shooed back to their seats by Mr. Brown.

“About?”

“About you getting the attention of the boys. Maybe I should start playing the drums too…”

I rolled my eyes at her, “Haven’t I told you to start playing it already?”

“But I suck at it,” she whined. “My left hand and right hand coordination simply sucks. They can’t work together.”

I laughed, “Practice.”

“Can you get their numbers for me?” she pleaded.

“I’m not going to ask for their numbers.”

“Why not?” she asked.

“They are still individuals. So let’s respect their privacy. Besides, what do I need it for?”

“Oh god… Jo, you are so daft,” she sighed.

Seriously, what’s the point of getting their numbers? To bug them? Well, if we are friends, then it’s a different story. At least, they would be things to text them about. But a fan? An admirer? Then it would probably just be another mass text thingy which they won’t put it to heart. I don’t do such things.

The boys invited me to join them at their table again. The crowd today seemed to have lessened. Probably, most of the girls got what they wanted already.

“Have a carrot?” Louis offered and I saw the rest of the guys eyeing me in anticipation.

“Thanks,” I took the carrot and munched on it. “What?” I looked at them irritated. Why were they looking at me like this?

“You like carrots?” Niall asked.

“I have nothing against them,” I answered. “Why?”

“Nothing,” Harry chuckled as the guys giggled among themselves.

What’s wrong with eating carrots?

“So, when can you teach me?” Louis asked.

“You are serious, aren’t you?” I mused.

“Of course,” he put up a very serious and solemn expression but his cheeky smile gave him away.

“I’m up to it anytime. Depends on you,” I shrugged.

“What about after practice today?” he suggested.

“Don’t you guys have things to do…?”

“Not really,” he answered. “We need only to concentrate on the performance this Sunday. The rest of the time is free.”

“Okay.”

“Can you show us the rest of the instruments?” Zayn asked. He rarely spoke to me directly. This must be one of his first questions to me. He was so shy.

“Which one do you want to see?”

“Everything else?” Liam’s interest started picking up as well.

“Well,” I frowned. “Need to ask Mr. Brown…”

Louis grinned, “I’m sure that can be arranged.”

♪  ♫  ♪  ♫  ♪  ♫  ♪  ♫  ♪  ♫  ♪  ♫  ♪  ♫  ♪  ♫  ♪  ♫  ♪ ♫  ♪ ♫  ♪  ♫   ♪  ♫  ♪ ♫  ♪ ♫  ♪ ♫  ♪

“So, this is the hi-hat. And this?” Louis was seated at the drum stool in position, with my drum sticks in his hands. Mr. Brown really did agree for them to have a private fun session in the band room after he confirmed I would lock up after me.

“Put your left foot on this pedal,” I said as I pointed to the hi-hat pedal. “Then your other foot on that pedal.”

“Okay…?” Louis was looking uncertain at the massive group of drum parts before him. His confidence level must have dropped half. Harry caught his expression, and was laughing loudly. The rest of the guys were gathered around the drums, curious and inquisitive.

“Okay,” I continued. “You go with the basic beat of four four. You do know your beats right?” I questioned him.

“Uh-huh…”

Harry laughed once again.

“Your right hand on the hi-hat. Here,” I grabbed his right hand and landed it on the hi-hat. “So, you play semi quavers here. Can you do that? Or, try crotchets first.”

He began hitting single solid beats on the crotchets, “That’s easy,” he beamed.

“Okay, add in the bass. Step your right foot on the first and third beat,” I instructed.

He stepped hard on the pedal which only bounced back with negative feedback. He looked at me lost, “Erm, no sound?”

“Try stepping harder.”

Bom.

Bom Tsk Bom Tsk.

He grinned.

“Using your left hand, hit the side drum on the second and fourth beat.”

He practiced it for a few bars until he became used to the rhythm.

“Okay, now add the hi-hat. Change it to semi quavers,” I instructed him.

He was a fast learner, especially after he got the hang of it. So I tried him with the quaver bass pedal.  His beats became contorted and messy before he gave up, “Argh! Too difficult!”

He handed the sticks to Harry who wanted to try next. Same problem.

The only person who managed to survive a few bars of the more complicated rhythm was surprisingly, Zayn. I was impressed. Since he was a better player, I taught him the cross rhythm. But he soon lost concentration and lost it all.

He handed me back my sticks, “I think we should just leave it to the expert.”

“How do I play this?” Niall held up the crash cymbals and was desperately trying to produce a sound.

“You have to play it without choking it,” I walked towards him and stretched our my hands offering to take the cymbals to demonstrate.

Wrapping the straps firmly around my hands and muting it on my chest, I raised the cymbals with a shake to vibrate them before tilting them to a slight angle for a soft crash.

“Wow.” Five voiced chorused together, totally immersed in amazement.

“I didn’t know there’s so much skill to playing these instruments,” Liam mused.

“Ya,” I answered. “These instruments may not sound good on their own. But when played with the band, they are absolutely necessity,” I said proudly as I slid the cymbals back on the stand. Each and every one of these instruments were my babies.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.3K 163 21
What if the Hunger Games switched between Gale, Katniss, and Peeta's points of view? What if Gale found out about Coin's plan to kill Prim? What if...
1.1M 44.8K 51
Being a single dad is difficult. Being a Formula 1 driver is also tricky. Charles Leclerc is living both situations and it's hard, especially since h...
21.1K 799 49
The TCL crew is in high school!! ( plz dont judge)
11.9K 334 25
Clary and Jace meet when Clary sees him in the famed Pandemonium Nightclub. Clary and Jace start dating, but she doesn't know he's a shadowhunter, or...