Nothing Wrong With Being a To...

By Dostomozartsky

People say that love is in every corner... looks like Riley's been walking in circles. You see, Riley is a pr... More

Chapter 1: Bats, Punches, and Crushes
Chapter 2: Overconfident Tomboy
Chapter 3: Deal With an Imp ✔
Chapter 4: First Date ✔
Chapter 5: Little Did He Know ✔
Chapter 6: Riley Benjamin Doesn't Blush
Chapter 7: Weak Truth
Chapter 8: The Tomboy, the Player & the Wardrobe
Chapter 9: Cupid Takes Over
Chapter 10: A Night to Remember
Chapter 11: Lost in Our Hands
Chapter 12: Bad News, Good Miseries
Chapter 13: Crushed From Rolling in Woe
Chapter 14: Shanghaied By Feelings
Chapter 15: Lies and Other Agonies
Chapter 16: Loss of Bravado
Author's Note: Please Read
Chapter 17: A Drop of Love in the Ocean Of Hopelessness
Chapter 18: The Word Left Unsaid
Chapter 19: New Start; New Costume
Chapter 20: In Your Deadly Arms
Chapter 21: Rout Even
Chapter 22: Going Out of My Head
Chapter 23: Throwaway Twofold
Chapter 24: Fraidy-cat's Nods
Chapter 25: Through Gardenias
Chapter 26: Soppy Hearts
Chapter 27: Better, Restored, Lovelier
Chapter 29: The Beginning of the End
Acknowledgments

Chapter 28: Ringed Happy Luck of Ours

40.3K 909 135
By Dostomozartsky

“Be, at least, four feet away from him,” his gruff voice bellowed from the speaker, “I don’t want him smelling you, smiling at you, touching you, not even staring at you! Do you understand, Butch?”

Yawning, I strained the phone with my shoulder while I managed to carry the bags with both of my hands. “Yes, I understand, Andrew. It’s just a brief meeting, I don’t know why you get all—“

“Because I freakin’ can!” he cut me off belligerently, before sighing. “I can’t understand why the hell Dad sent you, instead of me or Teresa for that matter!”

“Because you have to run the meeting with the diary company in thirty minutes. Also, Teresa is the head of secretaries, she can’t just leave. Don’t worry, pie of baby vomit, it’ll only take five minutes. I promise.”

“Don’t call me that, please,” he said rather upset than annoyed. “Five minutes?”

“Andrew.” I stopped walking towards the café and turned around to focus my attention on him. “Are you upset? Why?”

A loud exhale gusted from the other end before his drowned voice answered. “I told you it vexes me that Jason is around you. He really has a thing for you—if you haven’t noticed. Please, Riley, call me in the middle of the discussion so I can talk to him.”

“So you don’t trust me, Andrew? This is the first time Larry gives me a real task that doesn’t involve you. And you have to control it, don’t you? I’m not a puppet you can control, if you haven’t noticed! I could be your…your—“

“My woman, my girlfriend, the love of my life, the woman that’s going to give birth to my kids, the tomboy that’ll hold my hand till we’re old and screwed, the girl that catches my breath with a smile, future Mrs. Lukewood…do you want me to be more specific?”

I could imagine the smirk on his face and surely, he could imagine my blush.  “Well,” I said, smiling and forgetting what the heck I was going to say, “I could be all that to you…and—and…”

“You forgot what you were going to say?” He chuckled, “I’m sorry, I didn’t know I had such an influence in you.”

“Stop it, Boba!” I snapped. “I’m going to take off, okay? Maybe Jason is already there—“

“Of course he’s already there! The man doesn’t even hide the desperation he has to get laid!” Andrew snapped, “You have your pepper spray with you, right?”

“Ah, for the love of goodness, Andrew!” Indignantly, I dropped one bag and clutched the phone. “Are you serious?”

“I am serious. I don’t want you near him. You don’t even have to sit with him to drink a coffee! In fact, don’t you dare to accept anything from him! He could poison some candy or put some drug on your coffee. Do you understand?”

“Bye, Andrew—“

“No, wait!” he cried urgently.

“What?”

“Aren’t you going to wish me good luck on the meeting? It’s going to be the first meeting I’ll hold without you, Butch. And…and I miss you.”

Chuckling, I resumed my previous position and sauntered nearer the café. “Break a leg, Boba. I’ll be there right away. And…you know…we’re really lucky.”

“Oh, yes we are,” he hurriedly agreed. “Are you at the café?”

“Yep,” I sang, eyeing inside the café and a redhead sitting, waiting. “Jason’s here. Gotta go.”

“Wait,” he groaned. “I trust you Riley but I don’t trust him! Just put me in speaker, okay?”

“Why the hell—?”

“Please?” he earnestly begged. Ugh, I could see those lips of his, puckering and teasing me. “I won’t say a word! I’ll be in mute!”

“Okay,” I gave in. Because deep inside, I loved the feeling of being guarded by Andrew. I adored his jealousy and protection that constantly surrounded me. But the man had no reason to be jealous. Even though…I loved it. “Andrew, you do understand that I love you…like I have never loved before, right?”

There was thick silence in the other line and I waited patiently for some response. “Andrew? Are you still there?”

Still… nothing.

Crap, I messed it up! Slick move, Riley. That happens when you get all corny!

“…Okay, I’m going to hang up,” I said slowly, almost dreading the awkwardness that will follow.

“Hello?” said a panting Andrew. “Sorry, I was just running ‘round the office and dancing my victory dance.”

Laughing, I dropped the bags and held the phone tighter. “You were seriously doing that?”

“The woman that has my heart just told me she loved me like she had never loved before! How do you want me to react at that?”

“Will you actually—?” Suddenly, my sight caught Jason waving at me from the café’s inside. “Andrew, say your last words because I’m going inside and you’re going to be in mute. Over and out.”

“Well, remember that if I had to choose between breathing and loving you, I would use my last breath to say, I love you,” he cloyingly said, “Roger that. Good luck, soldier. If he hits on you, rip the contract apart.”

“Roger,” I giggled. “I love you, Boba.”

“I love you, Butch,” Andrew replied, using the same dreamy tone I wrought.

Pocketing my phone on my coat’s pocket, I held the bags again and entered the café. As soon as I headed towards him, I prayed that nothing wrong happened. “Hello, Jason.”

“Oh, hi there, Riley,” Jason quickly rose and dashed to me. “Glad you could make it.”

“Ha-ha, you make it sound like a date or something,” I joked, shooting some signals between lines. “So, let’s get this over with, shall we?”

“Should I help you?” Jason motioned the bags I had and swiftly went to carry them if it wasn’t for my velocity.

“No, don’t worry,” I replied, grabbing the bags and slumping on the chair across from his. “Now, let’s make it quick, okay?”

 Jason chuckled, “Why the hurry? You just got here, Riley. You don’t want a coffee or a—?”

“No, thank you.” Smilingly, I dug out my phone and placed it on top of the table. “Mr. Lukewood couldn’t make it—“

“Yes, Larry called me, telling me that you’d come in his name. I got all the papers here.” Smoothly, Jason unfolded some papers he held and skimmed through the right page. “Here, I already signed and well, since Andrew or Larry couldn’t make it, I assume you will.”

“No, actually, I’m just going to bring the papers back with me and send you a copy of the signed contract via fax. Also, Andrew has to review some clauses and make sure that everything’s fair and equal for both companies.”

“Ouch,” Jason feigned a wince. “Are you insinuating that I did the contract by myself? Well, let me inform you, Riley, that Larry’s Ice-cream’s attorneys made the contract with our attorneys. The only thing left is the sign of Larry or Andrew.”

“I didn’t mean to—“

“I’m just kidding, Cleveland-yo-girl. Now, that you have the papers, let me buy you a cookie. I heard that they are the best in town.”

Sighing, I clutched the papers and folded them inside my notepad’s sleeve. “I appreciate it, Jason, but I’m afraid I have to go.”

“Would you please give me a minute?” he pleaded, rushing his hand to stop me. “I admit that I’ve never seen a person so professional towards work like you, Riley. But would you please just hear me out?”

Blinking, I held an expressionless look on my face. “Okay…” I glanced at my phone and resumed my prayers. “But remember that this is a business meeting, Jason. I didn’t come here to eat cookies or drink coffee.”

“Consider the meeting over,” he sternly replied. “The day that we bumped into each other, I was following my ex-girlfriend. That morning, she let a note on my bed, saying that nothing will work out between us…”

There was a sparkle in Jason’s green eyes that griped my breath. I could relate to his sadness, well, Andrew could. Suddenly, I felt the urge to befriend him and hear him. Every human has the right to take things out of their chest, who am I to be so unsympathetic?

Warily, Jason sadly chuckled and ruffled his fire-like hair. “I’m sorry, Jason,” I whispered to him, retaining the urge to hold his hand and squeeze it softly.

“Nah, it’s okay,” he continued chuckle, staring at his now twiddling hands. “She studies in Gravestan and I stormed inside there with the note in my pocket, searching for her like a demented guy. I wanted her to tell me what she wrote in my face. Otherwise, I refused to believe that it was over.”

“I understand, Jason,” I nodded empathetically.

“While I searched for her, I made a deal with God… even if it sounds dumb. I asked him for just a minute without remembering her. I wanted to be at peace. And when I stumbled with you and talked to you, I forgot about her. I even forgot why I was in Gravestan. I didn’t even see her, I just ran after you but I couldn’t find you. Then you came to my life again and…”

“Jason,” I said, raising myself up from the chair, “I’m sorry, I can’t—“

“No,” he stood up as well. “Just think about it. It’ll be harsh if I get rejected twice in a month. I know this is kind of weird, but it isn’t a coincidence that we’ve meet again.”

Gathering all my stuff, I grabbed my bags and walked over the table to be close to him. “Then this is a goodbye. Have a nice day, Jason.”

“You too, Riley,” he said, looking straight at my eyes.

Hurriedly, I streamed towards the exit, dropped the bags, and dug out once again my phone. “Hello, Andrew?”

“Riley!”

Spinning around, I saw Jason running after me. “Jason?” Oh for Yoda, what the heck does he want now?

“Riley!” he repeated, stopping in front of me. “I just wanted to thank you for hearing me and for helping me forget her. If it wasn’t for you, I wouldn’t be sane enough to know the difference between black and white. Thank you, Riley.”

And before I could bark at him that I didn’t do anything, Jason leaned closer and kissed my cheek. “I’ll wait for you,” he whispered, before walking away and leaving me stunned.

After some seconds, I shook my head and brought my phone back to my ear. “Hello, Andrew?”

His silence unnerved me. So I checked the phone and saw that he ended the call ten minutes ago. “You stupid Boba! Didn’t you want to hear the conversation?”

 Angrily, I buried the stinkin’ phone on my coat’s pocket and again, re-grabbed the bags, heading towards the pavement. The only thing that I needed was a good Samaritan cab.

“Riley?”

What now?!

“What?” I snapped, and quickly regretted being so hotheaded. “Hi.”

With a grin on her glossy lips, she stepped closer, holding a shopping bag on her elbow. “Hello, Riley. I haven’t seen you in a long time.”

“Well, Lora, actually it’s a couple of days. How are you?”

Ignoring my question, her eyes fell on my bags. “I see you’re busy. Do you need any help?”

“No,” I chuckled, “I was just taking a cab to head over the office.”

“Do you mind sharing the cab with me?”

And it only took her a step closer to the pavement for a stupid cab to stop. “I don’t mind,” I chuckled, walking behind her. “How do you manage to stop a cab so easy? It took me five minutes to stop one.”

“Well, when you’re beautiful everything’s easy,” she replied over her shoulder, opening the cab door and slipping in.

Her words clogged me. Was she implying something? Now the real questions roamed my mind: Why am I talking to Lora when she dated Andrew? Is she saying that I’m ugly? No, Riley, she’s just stating the truth. But she has a lot of makeup and I don’t wear any…which makes me awesome. And remember what Boba said to you, ‘Gosh, you’re beautiful.’

“Riley, aren’t you going to come in?”

Shaking my head, I forced a smile and joined her, replying, “You know, you’re right. But what’s better? A cab or the best man on earth?”

With that, I yanked the door closed and snapped my sight to her; a big smile growing on my face. Her stained eyes broadened before a knowing grin softened her shocked features. “Maybe you’re right. A good man is always needful.”

“Of course I am,” I replied in a sing-song tone. Stiffened, the driver asked for directions and both of us said different ones at the same time. “I hope you don’t mind that I drop off first.”

“No, I don’t. Surely, Andy’s waiting for you,” she causally said. “Say, Riley, who was that gorgeous man that kissed you?”

Stunned, I shifted on the seat and shook my head. “He didn’t kiss me! He’s an associate. Jason MacPherson.”

“But he did kiss you. I saw it with my own eyes. Is he some friend?”

The way she said it foamed within me an explosion of lava. “Excuse me?! I thought you knew the difference between a kiss in the cheek and a real kiss. It doesn’t hurt to actually be reserved, does it?”

“I’m sorry, Riley. I thought you were dating him.” She looked down at her lap, showing true repentance. “Andy hasn’t said anything about you so I assumed that you were dating another person.”

“What?” I gaped at her in disbelief. “Maybe you don’t know but Andrew and I—“

“I know. I was just joking,” she playfully hit me on the arm. “Well, congratulations for both of you. I’m glad you two are back together. Maybe you could present me that man named Jason so we could go on a double date.”

“Oh!” Finally, I realized what her insinuations were. “You liked Jason? I’m sure you guys would make a good couple. If you want, I could give you his phone number. Maybe you should ask him out. He’s a nice man.”

“I certainly will.”

After giving her his number and talking about the new horror move that was coming soon to theaters, I climbed off the cab and bid goodbye to Lora. She’s nice in her own way, I thought as I jogged to the office. After reaching the elevator, Teresa hollered something but I just said, “Not now, Teresa.”

“Like boyfriend like girlfriend,” I heard her before the ‘ding’ chimed and the elevator raised me to my destination.

As soon as I was on the second floor, I ran through the corridor with bags in hands and reached Boba’s office door. “Mr. Lukewood!” I whispered, yelling and almost losing my temperament.

The glass door was thankfully opened and I stormed in. “Yes, Miss Benjamin?”

“Why did you end the call? I thought you wanted to hear—oh, hi, Mr. Lukewood. How are you?”

There he stood, in the middle of the office: Larry Lukewood. He wore a mischievous grin as he feigned to be surprised. “I’m doing very well, Riley. Thank you for asking.”

Andrew wore a smirk as well as he stood next to his father, placing a hand on his shoulder. “Isn’t she beautiful, Dad?”

“She is, son. I couldn’t be more proud of you,” Larry replied, glancing at Andrew and then back at me.

Hello! I’m still here!

“Well, this old man is intruding so I’m going to leave,” Larry said, heading towards my way, “Now behave you two. I don’t want any unprofessional activities around here.”

“Sure, Dad,” Andrew chuckled, nervously scratching the back of neck.

“Of course, Larry. Thank you,” I smiled at him when he came to my way and exited the office. “You told your dad?”

“Yes,” Andrew shrugged. “I didn’t want to hide it from him.”

Smiling, I walked over to him and pulled the damn bags up so he could grab them. “Happy now?”

“Oh, these are chicken wings?!” He grabbed them and placed them on the coffee table. “You didn’t have to, Miss Benjamin. I was going to wait till five to order some—“

“Yeah, right,” I snorted, “You were whining all morning about how much you wanted those chicken wings that don’t have delivery service but are still delicious.”

“And that’s another reason why I love you,” he shot me a finger and laughed. “Now, sit down and tell me what happened after he said: ‘There are the best cookies in town.’”

“You ended the call after that?”

“Yep, the meeting was starting,” he casually said, sitting down on the couch and opening the bags with sparkly eyes. “It went perfect by the way. I think we won them, Butch.”

“I’m glad,” I sarcastically spat.

“Is there something wrong?” Andrew raised an eyebrow at me, glancing at the notepad I held. “Where’s the papers?”

“Here,” I tossed the notepad for him to catch it and crossed my arms around my chest. “I talked to Lora.”

“And?” he nonchalantly asked, placing the notepad aside him and standing up. “Before you continue, I want to give you something.”

Astounded, I followed him with my gaze. He slickly went to his desk and drew a baseball cap out of it. “Another cap for your collection. I hope this one becomes your favorite.”

He came back to me and handed me the purple cap with Boba Fett as its logo. “Oh, Boba,” I grinned at him and at the cap. “You’re so amazing, you know that? A Boba Fett cap?”

Laughing, I clutched it and placed it on top of my head. “You look gorgeous and dangerous,” Andrew grinned back at me, stepping closer and fixing my cap. “There,” he said after he placed it backwards. “Lookin’ sexy.”

“Don’t tease me,” I whispered, stepping closer and closing the gap between us. “Kiss me.” Forgetting about etiquette, I stood on my toes and snaked my arms around his neck.

“Your orders are my pleasures,” he huskily replied, leaning down and enfolding my lips with those soft and zealous lips of his.

Before we could forget about the whole world around us, he cupped my cheeks away from his lips, desperately searching for something within my gaze. “What’s the problem, Andrew?” I asked, almost afraid.

“Promise me that you’re mine,” he earnestly uttered, “Promise me that you’ll always be mine, Butch.”

Grinning, I stretched yet more and pecked his lips. “I’m forever yours.”

Andrew seemed more than satisfied with my answer. Did he doubt that I loved him? But before I could ask why he was acting like that, he pulled me into a warm embrace that knocked the breath out of me. Sadly, it only lasted for a couple of seconds. “Now, get back to work, Miss Benjamin.”

“Yes, Mr. Lukewood,” I humbly replied, taking off the cap and heading to the doorway, “Enjoy your meal.”

“Riley?” he said before I exited his office.

“Yes?” I said, turning around.

“Thank you for bringing me the food. I mean it,” he honestly smiled. “We already ate lunch and you were so caring and sweet for bringing the chicken wings I craved.”

“Watch it, Mr. Lukewood, you could get fat if you keep eating like that.”

The last thing I heard was his sweet chuckle. Restoring the etiquette, I closed the door, rambled to my office, and started with today’s work. Afterwards, the clock ticked three in the afternoon and my eyes were begging for some piece of Andrew. Anything!  A glimpse of his curls, of his eyes, of his lips.  But I managed to ignore my own plea and continue with my work. After filing some documents, I went to copy machine room with some files in hands. But before arriving to the room, I stopped by Andrew’s office.

His door was open and Tuck was inside with him. Apparently, they were discussing something on Andrew’s desk. Tuck was hovering over the desk with arms flying around in deliberation, while Andrew sat on his chair behind the desk, rubbing his chin. Unconsciously, I stopped at his door and continued to stare at him, admiring how his forehead creased in pondering and how his white blouse hugged his tempting torso.

Suddenly, Andrew’s eyes snapped to mine and a smirk emerged from his fetching face. I pursed my lips, to hide the grin that wanted to greet him. But a giggle slipped out of my mouth when Andrew winked at me, stopping my heart with his starry eyes.

I shook my head and resumed my pace. When I arrived at the copy machine room, I let the door open and started to divide the files in groupings. While I focused my attention on my work, I heard the door shut closed and locked, followed by some footsteps approaching.

Turning around, I caught myself in front of a smirking Andrew. He held his hip on his hands and narrowed his eyes at me with mischief glowing behind those brown eyes. “It has been three hours since I last saw you, Miss Benjamin. Did you know I was suffering?”

Holding back a grin, I shook my head, “Nope, Mr. Lukewood.”

But…Did you know I was suffering, Boba?

“And you stroll innocently around my office and expect me to focus on my job? I’m losing my mind around you, Riley. Stop playing games with me,” he playfully lectured, dashing to me and holding me in his solid arms.

“I’m doing my job, Andrew,” I defended myself, laughing and resting my chin on his chest.

“Exactly. And doing your job interrupts my job because I have the desire to kiss you and hold you,” he chuckled, brushing his calloused fingers along my temple. “And if I’m fired, then I’ll take you down with me.”

“Sounds good to me,” I grinned back at him. “What did you tell Tuck to come here?”

“That I had diarrhea,” Andrew smirked. “If we take too long, he will understand.”

“Take too long for what?” I asked, not catching his drift.

Andrew treaded back and dug his hand on his trousers’ pocket, rummaging for something. “I was going to wait for tonight, but I can’t. I have to give it to you now,” he said, an exciting tone drowning my anxiety. “I found these on my nightstand. May that be the first and the last time you take this ring off, Butch. Do you understand?”

Between his index finger and his thumb, was the ring that he gave me long time ago. I wanted him to give to me with a real meaning behind it…and my wish has now come true. “Andrew!”

“Don’t take it off, Riley. You made me the saddest man alive when I saw it on the nightstand. And if somebody asks, tell ‘em that that ring symbolizes the love we share.”

“You’re a bit possessive, aren’t you?” I chuckled, letting him slip the ring on my finger.

“When I have a beauty like you…how can’t I be?”

We both laughed. I was about to kiss him but he suddenly went to the copy machine behind me and opened it up. Just when I was going to question his actions, he grabbed me by the waist and pulled me into a passionate kiss. I couldn’t complain, but a whimper slipped out of my lips when Boba backed away and started to talk.

“I always wanted to do this,” he said, half excited, half naughtily.

Uh-oh! Chuckling, I looked sideways and then back at his excited grin. “Wh-what do you mean, Andrew?”

“What does it look like?”

Sex….in the copy machine room? No! Please! No… no… I’m not ready!

“No!” I finally, shrieked and panicked. “I-I’m not ready, Andrew. Somebody could see us and what will they do if they find us doing it in here with those copy machines and those papers, I mean sure, maybe it’s intriguing and exhilarating but we could get fired and Larry will rip our heads off and what ‘bout waiting for the right time—?”

“Riley!” he gently interjected, “Calm down, it’s not what you think. But…I didn’t know you had such a dirty mind,” he ended up chuckling.

“It’s not sex?” I asked, whispering.

“No! No,” he shook his head, “I just saw it in a movie and since then, I wanted to do it. Come on!”

Andrew clutched my hand and dragged me closer to the machine. “What are we doing?” I asked, glancing at him and at the machine’s inner screen.

“We’re taking photo of ourselves,” he simply answered. “Put your hand here and lower down so it prints your face.”

“You’re unbelievable, Boba!” I laughed, but I did as he instructed.

Boba joined me a second after. The sides of our faces were pressed against the screen and we snickered like teenagers in trouble. “One…two…three!” Boba counted and pressed the start button.

We closed our eyes and there was a green light that traveled from side to side, blinding our closed eyes and foaming a thrill inside us. But suddenly, I felt Boba’s warm breath tickling my lips and soon his lips embraced mine. The green light again ran from side to side, capturing our kiss and hands. We kept doing silly faces on the screen, wasting paper that now held our faces printed on it for live.

“Wow,” said a voice, startling us. “Thank heavens that I have a key of this room! I was actually wondering why people called me, asking why the copy machine room was locked. And ah-ha! I find the source of the mystery. At first I thought it could be some ghost or some hot chick that wanted me here but no, I have to find you two doing God knows what!”

“Teresa!” Both of us gasped when we saw her.

“Yes, I’m Teresa. Nice to meet you both,” she spat sardonically. “What the hell did you guys wanted to do in here? Some office porn—!”

“Teresa!” Andrew bellowed, resuming his authoritative posture. “I recommend you to stop right there and remember that I’m your boss and Miss Benjamin is your colleague. I will not tolerate such casual attitude towards me for that matter. I also suggest you to get your ass down to your desk and continue doing what you’re paid to do!”

Andrew stalked past me, heading to the doorway. But Teresa didn’t even flinch; she just walked closer to me and winked. “He calls you Butch during sex? What a romantic and cute sexual nickname,” she snorted, glancing at Andrew’s back.

Stiffly, Andrew spun around and shot her a glare. “Get back to work, Teresa!”

“I like to call him pie of baby vomit,” I whispered to Teresa, snickering and holding a hand close to my mouth.

“You too, Miss Benjamin!”

Teresa and I shared looks and in seconds, we burst out laughing. “I love that man.”

“And I can’t say the same,” said Teresa with the same tone.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

85.5K 3.1K 42
Emma Carpenter is a classic example of a nerd. She does her homework, gets straight A's, reads all the time, and never gets in trouble. Then one day...
364K 9.1K 44
I smiled at him but tears were starting to blur my vision together. "I hate you." His smile faltered and he looked taken back, "Not like that, Drake...
1.6K 33 26
Cayden Donovan teaches at a college in Manhattan, New York. Cory Noel is a student at a Manhattan college in New York. Cayden is a math teacher. Cor...
3K 412 43
Falling in love with an enemy knowingly is wrong. What if, it happens unknowingly? ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ " W-what this? " I lost the ability to speak Englis...