Being the Boss

נכתב על ידי love_dance_live

Mary is the CEO of Brighton Corps. She built it from the ground and made some powerful enemies while doing it... עוד

1
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16 Announcement
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24

2

5K 122 15
נכתב על ידי love_dance_live

This chapter is dedicated to NavySister22 because she made me a sweet cover! So thanks!!!! If you haven't already, go check out my other books Intoxication and The Lost Lover's Column!

Mary brushed her hands over her dress one last time to smooth out the nonexistent wrinkles. She still had twenty minutes left until Agnes said that she was going to come pick her up. Not wanting to put any creases in her dress, Mary wandered around her apartment looking for something to organize in her immaculate kitchen. Finding nothing she walked a couple of steps into her living room to set her DVR on to record the Bachelor. Hearing her phone ring, Mary snagged it from her purse. 

“Hey, get in the car loser,” Agnes commanded playfully.

Mary smiled; outside of work Agnes was a vibrant creature who had a strong personality. But somehow, whenever her parents came over Agnes became more monochromatic and less colorful than she really was.

“You’re so demanding,” Mary replied as she walked out of her apartment.

The steady clacking of heels against tile kept Mary company until she reached the elevator at the end of her hall. She pressed the down button and waited. After what felt like an eternity, the doors swept open to reveal the decrepit elevator. Gingerly stepping in, Mary prayed that today wasn’t the day that the elevator decided to finally call it quits, just like she did every day.

One answered prayer and a couple of minutes later, Mary reached Agnes’s idly waiting car. Not bothering to knock, she left herself in and automatically reached for the radio as she said hello.

“I don’t understand your love for classical music,” Agnes complained as they waited in traffic, “It’s so boring. Everything sounds exactly the same.”

Mary rolled her eyes, her foot rhythmically keeping time with the fast paced rendition of the Carmen Suite. “It sounds the same because you don’t take the time to listen,” she started, “Listen to the violins and the cellos, listen to the trumpets, flutes, the violas  and then tell me what you feel.”

The car was silent between the two women. Mary looked over at Agnes to see if she was soaking up the beautiful music only to see her staring out the window. The noisiness of the city had consumed her, and there was nothing Mary could do.

“I’m guessing that you like the sounds of honking traffic better than beautiful orchestral music,” Mary teased, poking Agnes in the ribs.

Agnes used her elbow to jab Mary back, “Shut up.”

As they pulled up to the restaurant, Mary could sense that something was wrong with Agnes, who had become quiet. Peering over to her friend, Mary reached a soothing hand out and placed it on top of Agnes’s.

“Hey, I know that they’re your parents and whatnot, but don’t let them control your life. You are a strong, beautiful and independent woman, “she started.

“And I don’t need no man!” Agnes proclaimed, finishing where Mary had left off. The beginnings of a smile etched its way across Agnes’s face as they entered the establishment.

“I’m here for you, promise,” Mary stated as they checked their reservations.

Within thirty seconds of walking into the seating area, a high pitched squeal pierced the air. Barreling towards Mary and Agnes as fast as her sky-high heels would allow, Rachel Anderson tore through the restaurant to greet her sister.

“Here comes the hurricane!” Agnes whispered to Mary as she tried to stifle her laughter.

“I didn’t know that Rachel was coming,” Mary replied.

“Yeah, it was last minute, her flight just got in and you know how Rachel gets.” Agnes grimaced, as she recalled harsh memories of her younger sister throwing tantrums until she got what she wanted.

Totally oblivious to the scene that she was making, Rachel encircled her arms around her sister. After that she embraced Mary in a less bone crushing, yet still intense public display of sisterly love. Leading the two thoroughly embarrassed women along, Rachel all but ran to their table as she repeated rambled on about never getting phone calls and the latest news of the socialites.

“Rachel, calm down,” Agnes pleaded as they got to their table.

A man laughed, his deep bass voice carried through the room, “She’s just excited to see you Hun,” Mr. Anderson said as he stood up to embrace his other daughter.

“Mom, Dad it’s nice to see you guys,” Agnes mumbled as she slid in the booth.

“Thanks for the opportunity to come along,” Mary said as she followed Agnes in.

Mrs. Anderson gave her daughter and Mary a critical glance over, searching for any imperfections. Seeing none, she allowed herself to quip a quick smile before settling back into her cool demeanor. She was pleased to see that her daughter was healthy but didn’t fail to see the lack of a ring on her finger.

The family began to chat frivolously as they waited for their ordered meal to arrive. Mr. Anderson, the liveliest of the family other than Rachel, was constantly sent into booming fits of laughter, gathering hushes from his wife and embarrassed looks from his children.

“I know that you are so busy, but haven’t met anyone who has caught your interest?” Mrs. Anderson inquired, looking at her daughters. It was a general question, but everyone at the table knew it was aimed for Agnes and not Rachel.

Rachel giggled, “Well, there is this one guy at the agency I work for,” she began, “He’s so charming and attractive. I think he’s into me, but I’m trying to play hard to get.”

“That’s nice honey,” Mrs. Anderson replied, not looking up from her lobster, “What about you Agnes?”

Agnes stabbed her fork into her mouth as she tried to dodge another one of her mother’s barbed questions. Thirty minutes had passed since her mother’s barrage of terror began, and despite her or Mary’s attempts, Mrs. Anderson would not be hindered.

“I heard that Melissa’s daughter is engaged. Aren’t you friends with Sabrina?” Mrs. Anderson asked, undeterred by her daughter’s lack of enthusiasm.

Agnes sighed, “Sabrina hated me mom, remember. She tried to sabotage my presentation party when we were debutantes.”

Agnes looked over to Mary for help, but saw that she wasn’t going to receive any rescuing in the near future. Mary was in a heated conversation with her father, about something presumably business related. Mary had that fierce look in her eyes that she got whenever she was talking about something she was passionate about.

“I’m telling you, once we open up our second location in California, Brighton Corps. is going to skyrocket! We’ve already experienced major growth in the past three quarters,” Mary explained, becoming giddier with excitement.

“I believe you, but where are you going to get the man power, or the ground acknowledgement? It’s not like New York over there,” Mr. Anderson countered. He enjoyed watching Mary talk about her business. She had a hunger for success that many people in the industry lacked, and her willingness to innovate gave her a competitive edge. “It’s always hard at this stage of a business. You either break or make it big time.”

Mary smiled, sensing that this was where she was going to make her grand revel. Ever since they had first met, Agnes had talked about moving to California, but could never pick up and go like Rachel had. Mary glanced at Agnes who was trying to hold her own against her formidable mother and sister.

“I was thinking about sending Agnes over to do some scouting. We need a good location and we already have investors waiting on us to begin. Once we choose a location, all we need is to spread by word of mouth. I think Agnes would be the best for the job.” Mary stated confidently as she watched the smile explode on her best friend’s face.

Before Agnes had a chance to reply, something else caught Mary’s attention. A lithe body cut through the room like a ghost, he eluded power and his presence commanded respect. Wondering who he was she was surprised when Mr. Anderson began to fervently wave his hand to get his attention.

“Johnathan my boy, it’s been too long!” He called out, grinning from ear to ear.

Mary looked to the mysterious man who turned around to face her booth. Then she realized that he wasn’t a mysterious man. He was John, the one who she had encountered when she had gone to Chen’s earlier that day. Mary wondered how he could afford to come to this place, for someone who was cleaning tables less than twelve hours ago, he wasn’t dressed as if he was working. In fact, he looked as if he was in his element. Smooth and cultured, Mary noticed how he even sent steaming smiles to some of the women in the room. Rolling her eyes she turned back to her meal and hoped he didn’t come over to where she was.

“How do you know him?” Mary asked as John made his way towards them.

Mr. Anderson shrugged, “I golf with his father sometimes, and occasionally Johnathan tags along. But it’s been a while, for the past couple of years Johnathan has been enjoying the European country side.”

“But he works at a rundown Chinese joint downtown!” Mary protested. Something wasn’t adding up, and she had an inkling that Johnathan was more than he appeared to be.

Before Mr. Anderson could reply Johnathan swooped in and gave everyone at the table a dazzling smile. “Long time Marshall,” he said with a hint of laughter in his voice.

Mr. Anderson stood up and grasped Johnathan’s hand to give him a friendly shake. The two men exchanged pleasantries and began to catch up.

“Take a seat!” Mr. Anderson said, gesturing to the only available spot next to Mary.

Mary froze, not wanting to come off hostile, she pleaded with her eyes for Agnes to swap spots with her. Agnes was confused about Mary’s reaction, but agreed to comply anyway. Just as they were about to switch, Mary felt a cold hand latch onto her wrist.

She turned sharply, fury written on her face, “Unhand me right this instant!” she demanded.

Johnathan pretended to be confused; he raised his eyebrows and asked, “I don’t understand what you are implying.”

Looking around, Mary could see the expressions of aghast on everyone’s face. Flushing with embarrassment, she tried to spit out an apology that would suffice. One scalding look from Mrs. Anderson told her that her numerous amounts of outburst had to cease.

Settling back into her seat, Mary reached for her glass. Her arm brushed against John’s and a piece of her bracelet became entangled with the cuff of his sleeve. Unaware of the problem, Mary proceeded to take a drink only to have her arm stop abruptly. Before anyone could move, the contents of her glass had emptied itself on her dress and flecks landed on Johnathan.

Mary tried to keep herself from screaming in frustration. The cold liquid was seeping through her dress, yet the shock of the event had frozen everyone else. Sputtering, Mary grabbed all the napkins on the table and began to wildly pat the front of her dress.

Rachel was the first to recover as she tried to stifle that laughter that was bubbling under her lips. Appalled by her daughter’s behavior, Mrs. Anderson shot Rachel a bitter look, causing Rachel to stop laughing. But it was too late; the bubble of shocked silence had been popped and a wave of sound crashed over the table.

“Let me,” Johnathan murmured into Mary’s ear as he began to dab the front of her dress.

“Excuse me!” Mary gasped appalled, slapping viciously at his hands,” I don’t know who you think you are. How dare you!”

Not knowing what was conspiring between the two, the rest of the table; including Agnes choose not to comment on what was happening.  Rachel shot Mary a jealous look that Mary didn’t catch. Not being the center of attention did not sit well with her, and she was running low on patience.

“I was just trying to help,” Johnathan snapped.

“By man-handling me? How disgusting!” Mary snorted, her anger flared, “You’re literally trying to grope me in the middle of a restaurant.”

Not giving him the chance to say anything, Mary stood up. Collecting her bag she bid everyone at the table good-bye. Slightly upset due to the fact that no one had tried to stop Johnathan.  Agnes gave Mary a pleading look, but her mind was already made up.

“I’ll just take a taxi home Agnes,” Mary promised as she squeezed past Johnathan.

Without looking back, she strutted out of the restaurant. Had she looked, she would have seen the anger smoldering in the green eyes of Johnathan. She would have also seen him stand up and follow her out.

Mary stood outside as she waited for a taxi. She could feel the fringes of winter in the air around her. The wind snapped at the hem of her dress, and Mary began to wish that she had worn tights. She looked down the street once again, wondering what had happened to the taxi system of New York.

“You’re not taking a taxi,” he commanded.

Mary rolled her eyes, not needing to turn around to know who it was, “You’re not telling me what do,” she shot back.

She could hear his measured and precise steps as he approached her. Willing herself not to turn around and slap him, Mary kept looking out at the busy street. She let the sound of the city surround her and tried not to focus on the man that was encroaching behind her.

“Won’t I?” Johnathan taunted as he wrapped he hands around Mary’s waist and turned her towards him.

המשך קריאה

You'll Also Like

284K 8K 36
The journey of two people...ex-best friends if I may add I guess wanting to keep your reputation and pride intact in front of others costs you someth...
1.2M 39.5K 39
She was a beauty to behold. Never stepping out of house, her grandparents provided everything after her tragic past. But what if her past is catching...
1.7K 162 21
🚫This is not one of those cliche stories you see everyday where the Male lead is the overbearing CEO, it's the Female lead who takes power.🚫 Amelia...
5.7K 207 45
Brandon Stevens, a business tycoon who owns the largest business empire in the country has the good looks, immeasurable wealth, and the rock hard bod...