King Dimitri and Princess Ros...

By love_at_1sight

The characters are based on Vampire academy by Richelle Mead, whereas part of the plot is inspired by The Sel... More

Prologue
Chapter 1: Crowned
Chapter 2: What?
Chapter 3: Stressful First day of being a monarch
Chapter 4: Just stop with the title!
Chapter 5: Nothing a Vodka couldn't heal
Summer Surprise
A sneak peak to Chapter 7
Chapter 7: Back on the route
Update schedule
Christmas Special

Chapter 6: The Change

1.3K 52 10
By love_at_1sight

Country: Turkey

Time: 5 years ago

Rose's POV

The Day where Mason and Eddie were adopted

"Princess, it is time to wake up." Lorida tapped my shoulders lightly, trying her hardest. Pretending to sleep, I turned over, mumbling about nonsense. Somehow, this has become a morning routine, her trying to wake me up and me ignoring her.

"Princess," Oh, here comes round two. Lorida probably will ask me whether I am having breakfast downstairs or in bed. Since the shattered-vase-incident-in-my-bedroom incident, I am reluctant to go downstairs for meals. Although I don't really care what people say about me normally, as I was the centre of attention in the foster home, and palace, since I have arrived two weeks ago, I don't want to listen to the gossips of the incident. It was embarrassing. Not that I haven't committed to any sorts of embarrassing acts in my days in the foster care, but seeing the glares that sent to my way from the whispering guards and maids when they thought I wasn't looking is too much to bear.

The first lesson in the palace: News really do travel fast here, even though it consists of a few hectares in area.

"Princess," I whispered her next line in my heart about breakfast arrangement, "Here is your letter." Well, that's a change. This sudden change irked me that I shot up straight, reaching for the letter.

The letter was enclosed with a golden lining envelope, and an elegant letter came into view when I drew the delicate and expensive paper. It was too beautiful, I thought. It wasn't for someone like me. Someone who has imperfections.

Opening the letter, cursive writing came into view, which made me squinted my eyes to guess each word written on the letter. In the foster home, I never learnt cursive writing, probably because I spent the lesson outside of the classroom all the time, as I always seem to be able to find a way to annoy the teacher, Ms Casey. One time, I called her Ms Nosey as she did plastic surgery, which seems to make her nose even bigger than before when I was five. She hated my nickname, I mean, it actually suits her that everyone in our class laughed, and that's the start of a war between me and Ms Nosey, who always asked me to leave the classroom whenever there was a prank pulled in the class. It wasn't fair, as it wasn't every prank were pulled by me, well only ninety percent of those, together with Mason and Eddie, and every prank was one step farther than the last. But it does have an advantage of being known as the prankster, as Ms Nosey's name was like a disgusting chewing gum that stuck to her when we grew up.

Thinking about my old days at the foster home, I wonder for the millionth time, how's Eddie and Mason fairing right now, now their sister's gone? The unknown is unsettling and make my mood even worse.

I gave up reading the letter, then threw my head back on the pillow, staring at the ceiling. Hopefully, this can bring me peace, I thought. However, a knock sounded on the door at the same moment, disrupting my thoughts on seeking peace. I sighed inwardly.

"Come in,"I yelled, not bothered to get up from the bed. A guard came into view, bowing when he noticed me on bed. I read his name tag on the front: Guardian Emil.

"Princess, you are summoned to the dining room."

"I am not going,"I said in my princessly bitchy voice, a voice I had mastered and perfected in this two weeks. "I am not feeling well and better stay in to take rest."

"Princess, are you feeling alright? Should I call the doctor up to tend to you?" Guardian Emil sounded concerned.

"No, I...I will be okay. Just a bit headache." I pulled a lie flat straight, without batting an eyelid. Well, it wasn't a complete lie anyway, as I was having a massive headache on how to fit into my princess's role in the future since I came here. I had no experience in the royal affairs and dirty games that I am certain many will view my return as an opportunity to weaken Turkey.

"I will pass the message to his majesty." Emil seemed to buy my lie. "I won't disturb your rest, princess." With another swift bow, he left the room.

"Lorida?" I called after a minute of silence.

"Yes, princess?" Lorida answered while coming closer to the bed, shock and alarm evident on her face. I wasn't surprised by her reaction, as it was the first time I have ever called her after the incident.

"No need to bring breakfast here today. And maybe you can leave the room? I want to be alone."

"But, princess-"

"Please?" I plead. I knew from my first day that at least a maid must be present at all times in my suite when I was there, in order to tend to my every need. A guard will also be positioned outside the door for safety procedures. So I was surprised when Lorida curtsied and left me alone.

I am finally alone since I came here, I thought in my head. In the foster home, due to the numerous amount of detentions I had gotten over the years, I spent lonely nights in a dusty room on the top floor to write lines and did lots of cleaning for punishments, far away from the other children. However, I have never thought those times as being entirely alone and lonely, as Mason and Eddie sometimes will cause trouble in those times in order to stay with me, or they will sneak upstairs and spent the night with me outside the locked door, talking and passing notes. It was one of the best times I have had.

But in the palace, which consists of hundreds of workers and staff, I felt alone and lonely all the time, something I am not familiar with. The walls of the palace seem to confine and trap me, and I am unable to escape and be free. Why, oh why do I have to be the lost princess? To be born with a title but is forced to live in a beautiful and grand prison, a prison that seems glamorous on the outside, like the sugar coating chocolate doughnut, but only to find the banana flavoured in the inside instead of chocolate? Once again, the fate is not on my side. A knock sounded on the door at the exact moment, wanting to prove my point on how cruel life is.

"Just come in!" I didn't bother to sit up straight. Footsteps came closer and closer but came to a stop near my bedside, where my back was pointing towards the person.

"Couldn't you just come in front of me? Or should I get up and have a good look at your face?" I asked sarcastically. That person is probably new here, I thought. Nobody dared to talk behind my back literally.

The person remained silent and didn't make a move. Neither did I.

A couple of seconds passed, with only our breath being heard. Annoyed, I sat up straight and turned to the bastard, with profanities on my lips.

However, when I had a good look of the said person, nope, those two's faces, with their arms extended to me, I ran into one pair of strong arms without delay, resting my head on his chest, taking comfort from his warmth. My nerves and constant worries from these past weeks crashed in waves, and a sob escaped my throat.

An unknowing glance was passed between those two and hands patted my back after a moment's hesitation, which makes me realized that this is one of the few times I have ever broken down in front of someone. As a child grew up in the foster home, you tend to be strong, strong enough to behold the responsibility of taking care of younger children, taking care of yourself, and able to go through tons of rejections of adoption throughout the years. So, orphan breaking down in tears is nearly unheard of, except as infants.

But even the experiences in the foster home couldn't prepare you to be a crowned princess.

"Rose, what's wrong?" The guy who stood at the side, Mason, asked, concern evident in his voice. Both he and Eddie, the one hugging me, knew me well enough that they didn't ask "How are you?" when my sobbing started to cease. I always found it difficult to answer this particular question, as "I am fine" is always at the edge of my lips every time anyone asks this question, but am I actually physically and mentally fine? No. "How are you?" is just a mere greeting that noblemen always used, but the speaker doesn't concern about your well-being, at least not enough to ask you about how you are feeling or willing to listen to your problems.

"I...I don't know... I'm..m...afraid." I stuttered, clung to Eddie like a koala does to a tree.

"We're here now, sis." Eddie moved his hand to my hair, patting my head lightly to show brotherly affection.

"But you are here temporarily. Probably only to stay for a night or a week at most, then leave me all on my own again. How am I supposed to get used to living here, learn royal duties and my role as a princess without you two? " I stared at Eddie's warm hazel eyes, and tears began to fall.

"Actually, Rose, we are staying here, for real," Mason answered immediately when he saw my tears. Those two couldn't bear my tears and every time I cry, they always sneaked into the kitchen and stole a few chocolate doughnuts to cheer me up, risking the risks of having detentions.

"How? I mean, you can't hole up in my room all the time to avoid the guards. Anne will also notice you guys weren't in the foster and call." I voiced out all the questions in one go.

"Well, who do you think had just let us into the palace, and your room? The guards know Mase (nickname of Mason) and I are here, and we are no longer in the custody of Anne. I think she was quite happy about it, as she has less mouth to feed. It goes without saying that young boys eat quite a lot." Eddie tried to end his speech with a joke, hoping to earn a genuine smile from me in return.

"What? Custody? That can only mean that you two are adopted?" I raised my voice, in the end, happiness radiated from me. I grinned from ear to ear, forgetting my problems for awhile. It was unusual for kids to be adopted in the foster home, much less two adoption cases in one day. Not to mention, both Eddie and Mason are grown-ups. Although boys have a higher adoption rate in the foster homes, younger children are much more favourable to be adopted, as couples want to raise the kid from the very beginning, playing the parent role fully, from watching the babies' first steps to teaching them how to say "momma" and "papa". Few wanted a child who was raised in the foster home for years, as they were deemed to be having trauma and depression, unable to love.

"We did, and you guess what, the best part is we were adopted by the same couples!" Mase added excitedly, happiness shone clearly in his pale blue eyes.

"We are finally brothers for real," Eddie finalized. I smiled, but the smile doesn't reach my eyes this time, with sadness tinted at the edge. I never thought hearing him say this hurt like hell. Mason and Eddie are finally adopted, nevertheless by the same couples! I should be happy for them, they were thick as thieves since they met at the foster from day 1, and I soon joined in the loop, becoming best buds with them. We always called each other "brother" and "sister", as we all have a special place for each other in our hearts.

But circumstances changed when I became a princess and they are adopted. We are no longer the orphans that are being sympathized anymore. Where is my place now that I am locked away in the palace and they are now brothers for real except in blood?

With this negative thought, I pushed Eddie away, turned to face the window instead.

"Rose?" I ignored his constant calls.

"Rose, please listen." After a few moments, I couldn't bear the pleas from my bro-, nope, from these two boys who are constantly nagging me that I turned around again.

"We are adopted, but we are still your brother." Eddie seemed to realize my fear of losing them.

"It isn't going to happen." I sighed.

"Actually, it happens. You know who adopted us?" Mason chimed in.

"Some rich snobs or old farmers who need a hand on their farm?" I humoured Mason.

"I never thought I'll see the day where you'll insult people with higher power. Well, I'm not entirely surprised, as you have a reputation for being sarcastic." That's true. Since day 1 in the foster home, I always challenged the teachers and even Anne, the principal of the foster home, on the way that the foster home schedule works, as I love to go outside once in awhile to the nearby market. The market sells different types of things, from daily necessities,  food, accessories, clothing to jewelries. They always said no though, probably afraid if they let one go, another wants to go too and every child will want some freedom when they grew up. I can imagine numerous amount of work and fights this will bring to the staff. Thinking about the past did remind me of how much I like to challenge people with higher power. Wait, higher power-, I'm a princess already, so my status is quite high. this can only mean-

"The King and The Queen adopted you?" I questioned. Even the words sound strange on my tongue when I reached this conclusion. This can't be. I must be wrong. But both Eddie and Mason faces gave the answer away.

"Well, it seems like the King thinks that we are the only people who can rein you in and stop you from all the crazy stunts you want to pull," I raised my eyebrows, causing Mason turned sheepish, "some of the amazing but crazy stunts you want to pull in the future, so the King and the Queen came to the foster home this morning and signed the adoption papers. Eddie and I came to see you at once."

"Are you entirely sure, Ashford?" I usually use their surname when I want to call them out. "I saw some chocolate on your lips."

"Well, you see..., Rose, I..." Mason stuttered.

"Tell me the truth now and I will spare your life.' I threatened.

"I... No, we..." Mason pointed at Eddie, who shrugged his shoulders, "stopped at the kitchen to get some chocolate doughnuts."

"We didn't have our breakfast when we're picked up by the King, and it's late so we grabbed something to eat first," Eddie explained.

"So, you guys were in the kitchen. Food is more important than sister now, is it?"

"Oh Rose, we all know how important and essential food is to you. Anyone who stands in your way to food has a death wish." Eddie laughed.

"Well," I held my hands out, " Where is my food?" Eddie and Mason gave each other a knowing glance, then dashed out of the room.

"Hey!" I didn't hesitate and followed them downstairs, without noticing that I am still wearing my Winnie the Pooh sleeping suit. How can someone be so cruel that they didn't give their sister a heads up on chocolate doughnuts? They're nuts if they think I'll forgive their betrayal easily!

Abe's POV

"Let me go, let me go," Someone yelled loudly near my study, followed by loud kicks and groans.

"I'm sorry, just don't hit!" The same person screamed when he received yet another blow. A loud "Crack!" was heard clearly even behind the thick walls and closed door. I bet it hurts.

"So now you plead for forgiveness?"

"Please, just no more." Another two blows were given, and the receiver grunted in pain. I wonder why the guards haven't stopped the fight yet, as usually fights like this will be disrupted by the guards in 5 seconds. There's simply no way that the fight can last for more than a minute now.

Sensing something is unusual, I opened the study door, wanting to settle the debate at once. I couldn't focus on my work with all the banging and noise.

Just when I'm about to yell at those who had caused trouble, I noticed a familiar figure kicked the boy on the ground one last time, then knelt down to give him a hand.

"If you dare to go alone with Eddie boy here" She pointed at the boy standing beside her, who had two black eyes with his shirt tore halfway in the stomach, "I won't let you go this easily. You understand?"

"Yes, ma'am. I cross my fingers." The boy replied sincerely, and put his hand on the girl. They left in the other direction, and I got a peek at the girl's face when she fixed her messy dark brown hair.

Closing the door and returned to my work, I couldn't help but grin. Seems that I have made a right decision in adopting the kids. Those two will bring Rosemarie's true self and joy back and would protect her at all costs, as I've seen their look of seriousness when I mentioned Rosemarie's name this morning in the foster home. Not that Rosemarie needs their protection though, she seemed as tough as a Mazur, and will only become stronger as the day past by.

With that happy note, I returned to my work, viewing the military statistics on my desk for the afternoon's meeting with the generals and advisers.

Word Count: 3045

Published Date: 31st May, 2017

Re-edited: 31st July, 2017

Vote

and

Comment!

Before ending this filter chapter, just want to let you know that instead of promising to do regular updates like most writers here do, I'd instead try to update at least twice per month in the summer. Hope you guys like this new arrangement.

I would also love to thank everyone who have read, vote or comment on this story. Although I might not be able to reply to all the msg at one go, I do read every single one of them.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

98.2K 2.3K 31
This is a different type of story Dimitri still brings Rose & Lissa back from Portland. But that is where almost everything changes very few things a...
65.1K 2.4K 39
Dimitri Belikov has a loving family and has provided a home for his friend's children. Rose Mazur is head of a self made family of orphans, the negl...
10.6K 421 20
After a close call with a stalking ex-boyfriend, Abe Mazur is desperate for his daughter to feel and be safe. So he asks a favour of a man that he kn...
4.5K 77 1
Rose has finally had enough of the way that Lissa and Dimitri are treating her. When Dimitri says to four little words to Rose everyone's world chang...