Project Blackthorne

By DavidHoffman629

There was a scary group once upon a time called Torchwood in the Empire. Then there is Project Blackthorne in... More

Project Blackthorne
Chapter 2 Eye Opener
Chapter 3 Start of a New Day????
Chapter 4 Standing On The Edge
Chapter 6 The Winds Of Change Are Dangerous
Chapter 7 Running Through Time
Chapter 8 Doors openning Can Be Dangerious.
Chaptter 9 The Rift Holds Many Strange Things.
Chapter 10 The Rift is a Hopping.
Chapter 11 The Rift Gives It's All
Chapter 12 Is The Rift's Past Our Future?
Chapter 13 The Past Will Find the Rift.
Chapter 14 To Chase the Lightening Rider's
Chapter 15 All Hands Inside Till The Ride Comes Too A Complete Stop.
Chapter 16 Who said "Work Couldn't Be Hazardous Too Your Health?"
Chapter 17 Running towards the Finish Eyes Closed.
Chapter 18 One Curvy Rabbit Hole
Chapter 19 Two Points Converging With A Bang!
Chapter 20 A New Home A New Life?
Chapter 21 Can Crap Roll Up Hill?
Chapter 22 The Rift Slices Real Deep
Chapter 23 "The Rift Is Always Ready Are You?"
Chapter 24 "The Rift Grows Wide and Strong."

Chapter 5 Meeting The Crew of Misfits

96 0 0
By DavidHoffman629

The plane didn't shake a bit as Sam and Jim Donovan made their way down a narrow corridor. In all the transports Sam Tyler had found herself in this corridor told her that she was stepping into some very new uncharted territory. Even from just the little things she had seen thus far Sam had seen a lot of bells and whistles she and her team would have killed for in anything they had been flown around in. Jim stopped by another door pausing for a heartbeat. He then turned to Sam. " Like I said before. I will never ever not tell you everything I know about any given situation we as a team will face together here with our little group. " Jim punched in his code into the keyboard on the right side of his door. "This is my accommodations so welcome too my room." Jim held out a hand for Sam too enter first. She couldn't explain it but Sam couldn't shake the feeling of being like Alice in Wonderland about too enter the rabbit hole. Sam slowly made her way inside what she thought should have been a ultra small nondescript cubicle. She was blown away at how roomy this space was for being on an airplane. The room had a rather homey feel to it reminding Sam of a hunting cabin that her father used too take her to when she was younger. There was old wood paneling on three of the walls with different bits of western memorabilia that her father would have killed for covering every available free space. Sam was drawn too the nearest piece too her position there in the doorway. It was a beautifully hand woven Indian blanket hanging on the wall. The colors jumped out at you as one stared into them. The blanket looking more like a work of art than that of a mere simple blanket cover. Sam looked at the figures that were depicted on the fabric. There was a cowboy or at least a silhouette of a cowboy standing down in front of another man with a wolf shaped head. The cowboy looked like he was readying too draw on the wolf headed man. If she didn't think that Jim might have thought her crazy she could have sworn on a stack of bibles that the figures were moving there on that damnable blanket. Sam was about too ask a question when another memento caught her eye drawing her towards it. It was two very old navy Colt forty fives in a double draw rig with hand tooled leather. Upon closer inspection Sam could tell that these guns were original not not the usual replicas everyone could buy from any gun shop or specialty store. Upon further inspection Sam could see that the ivory grips of the Colts were wore and yellowed which came from being very well used as well as age. These matching Colts were real antiques that deserved too be in any museum. Sam turned towards Jim who simply stood there in the doorway his arms crossed leaning against the door frame. Jim had an infuriating smile on his face as he looked back at Sam seeming too be able too read her inner most thoughts. Sam steeled her nerves then turned around going on about the room. Her eyes fell upon a grouping of pictures that drew her too them. There were about a dozen different tin type photos that were grouped together. Sam looked close too see a group of Indians grouped together around a large blazing fire which if Sam remembered anything from her father the General meant they were most likely at a war council or maybe some kind of celebration. The light from the fire light each members leathery face quite clearly while shrouding everything else behind them in a deep dark gloom. But something else in the picture caught Sam's eye making out a slightly different shade of a shadow standing close behind what looked too be the senior most eldest Chief in the group. Sam had too strain but from working plenty of night mission around the globe she could just make out a lone cowboy clad figure seated among the large group of Indians. The fire light as well as the mixture of darkness around the edges made it hard too make out the complete features of the lone cowboy. But something deep down gnarled at Sam's brain as she looked at the cowboy. Sam shook her head minutely still not quite ready too believe what she was seeing so moved on to yet another photo of a old country town Sheriff's office in a dusty plain wood town one might have found in a million places out in the Midwest at the time. That seemingly now familiar Lone cowboy was standing there on the landing of the sheriff office a rifle casually resting in his folded arms. At the foot of the steps were three nude male bodies even from the picture it wasn't a stretch too figure out they were all dead. Sam noticed that the features of the three dead men appeared weird longest in all the wrong places. She had flash backs too simular images from her past on one of a few of strange incidence in her army career. Sam shook her head negative dismissing them as she got a closer look at the cowboy in the picture. There was the star of a US marshal pined on his chest. The Stetson the marshal wore looked a little too familiar for Sam's already fragile comfort. But as Sam stood there staring into the eyes of the Marshal a cold chill fell over Sam as she began to finally except puting two and two together. She whirled back around to find Jim Donovan standing there casually the exact same Stetson from the picture on his head as well as the exact same stare from those damnably very same eyes.

Jim spread his hands showing that they were empty. The simply gesture telling Sam that she was not wrong in what she had just been thinking about what she had just been looking at. He stepped further into the room slowly taking the Stetson off his head setting it on the bunk. "There is a long story that goes with the rest of those pictures explaining a lot." Jim stated motioning for Sam to take a seat there by the desk. Sam slowly eased down into the functional yet still fairly comfortable chair. Her eyes roamed around eyeing the surroundings a second time around. Something on the desk in a clear acrylic square caught her eye. It was a United States Marshal badge the same one from the aforementioned picture she had just been looking at. Sam stared at the badge picking it up holding it in her hand too make absolutely sure that her mind wasn't going off the proverbial rails. "You're going to try too tell me you are some kind of strange immortal from the past?" she asked with only a small amount of a very sarcastic edge to her voice. "Maybe that you were some kind of weird government science experiment that went wrong." Jim laughed a light hearted chuckle shaking his head. "DARPA has been trying too duplicate the idea of immortality but have fallen critically short on each experiment" Sam knew what that DARPA meant the Defense Advance Research Project Agency. Her team had the extreme misfortune of working with them on a number of occasions some good some not so good. "There is one," Jim paused thinking out loud for a second. "Maybe two known cases of beings that might be considered Immortal. Both of them are part of the group you may not have heard of from a small city in England called Cardiff."

"But what you are trying too tell me is that this is you in those photo's." Sam said it more as a rhetorical statement of fact than a question. Jim Donovan walked over towards those photo's taking one carefully off the wall looking down at it. His mind clearly took him back too the distant past of that exact moment in his life. He turned after a few seconds holding the tin type out for Sam to see. The weathered very old tin type photo showed a semi younger version of Jim Donovan mounted on his horse. "It all began in 1891 I was the United States Marshal for the central territories at the time. I was tracking a group of bank robbers known as the Melville Brothers. They had robbed a bank in a little podunk town of Silverson Texas. Dell was the semi brain of the group of four actual brothers. Ernest was the oldest and should have been the brains of the outfit. Zeke was seven foot tall with arms the size of tree trunks. Delmar was the youngest and the stupidest of the four. Course there was only three and a half of actual usabke brain cells that worked between any of them in the entire group. But being slow didn't seem too phase the fact that he was a crack shot too. Delmar killed the bank clerk ,the sheriff and three deputies before they rode out of town guns a blazing. The posse and I had chased the buggers non stop for three days clean into Kansas. As the sun was about too set for the day the dust weighing me down something awful I looked up suddenly too come across a lone Indian sitting cross legged in the middle of the trail I had been following so diligently. I had to bring my horse up short just too keep from trampling the dang fool Indian into the freaking ground. I had yet even too realize that the damn entire posse had disappeared behind me but I digress."

"Excuse me Chief," I started casually trying too shake the dust out of my eyes. "But I'm following a group of dodgers from Texas. Did you happen too see them go by?" I waited a might far more patiently than anyone else in the same position would have. I asked again politely trying too guide my horse around the Indian. But my horse refused in no uncertain terms too go anywhere near the Indian edfectively blocking the trail completely. After several heartbeats and a few choice cuss words under my breath the old Indian stared hard up at me seeming too try had see into my very thoughts from where he sat. After several more heart beats he said simply. "Kill me Please." The Indian said straight up too the point. I had too shake my head feeling pretty sure that I was having sun stroke or something close to there. "Look Chief. I have been following the Melville brothers for several hard miles and I kind of need too keep after them," I tried again trying not to let my horse stomp the little Indian into the trail floor too continue on but failed each time. But the Old Man held his ground just looking back up too me in the saddle. "I beg you too kill me Lawman." the Indian stated his eyes never wavering. "I couldn't wrap my head around anything the Indian was saying. It just didn't make any sense to me in the rode hard and put up wet state I was in for that exact moment. The Indian was an adult looking in age too either be in his late forties or nearer too one hundred years old. I knew far too well at the time that many Indians around then had a very short life spans. But no one Sam knew had ever had the gumption too come right out of the blue for any cowboy too just up and put a bullet in them. I finally guided my horse over towards a tree looping the bridal over a limb. I couldn't fathom why this lone crazy Indian blocking the trail wanted too die that very day at my hand. But for even more reasons than I could have ever possibly explained too myself but I knew I wasn't going too get anywhere till I got the very answer as too the why of this strange incident. So I climbed down from my horse making my way back over too the Old Indian standing there looking down at him. "OK ,Chief. Why don't you tell me why you want me too kill you today?" I asked not exactly sure I would ever understand the answer too my own question.

The Indian smiled back up at me still sitting there cross legged in the middle of the blasted trail. "Why do you refuse too kill me?" He queried waving both of his hands in the air. "Most any other white man whether he was a Lawman or not would never hesitate to kill a Red Indian." Upon a closer inspection I could see that this was no ordinary run of the mill Indian brave. He looked to be fairly long in the tooth but there was an outlaying power too the man no matter his advanced years. "He'll fir some strange arse reason I could literally see an energy coursing in and around the mad Indian's own body. "My request still holds firm." The Indian demanded crossing his arms across his chest stating flatly. "Kill me Please." I stood there flabbergasted taking off my hat scratching my head looking down at the Indian. "May I at least know your name there Chief." it was my turn too request something trying too draw out more information from the Indian wanting so happily too be sent too the Happy Hunting ground. "Edgar Silverkills is my name." Edgar held a hand out toward me waiting patiently for a hand shake too his outstretched hand. Without breaking stride Edgar continuedtoo speak." My father was a Scotsman and my mother was a beautiful Indian maiden who was a daughter to the local chief. My father was a Druid with special powers and my mother had amazing powers of her own. Hence it was only natural that my ancestor's from beyond guided me through the ages too become a honored medicine man for my rather drawn out life. I have hunted every known dark creature there is in this strange world." I carefully reached forward shaking Edgar's out stretched hand as he went through his life story. When our hands touched a jolt of electricity ran up my arm pulling me in close too him and said. " And believe me," Edger whispered knowingly. "There are plenty strange dark creatures out there in the dark of night." Edgar had the grip of steel to be a man in his late seventies. "Edgar, you'll still haven't told me why you are in so blasted big a hurry too die by my hand?" I asked really wondering what the deal was with Edgar." Edgar was my father's father name" he smiled looking into the sky as he spoke. "My Father and mother taught me well enough that I have been able too live this long. " When I pulled my hand back listening too all Edgar was telling me. I looked down too find an ornate handmade ceremonial knife in my right hand that wasn't there just a second ago nor had I seen Edgar holding anything near like it earlier. I would have been nervous but I was the one holding the knife and Edgar was still sitting cross legged on the ground in front of me. "Can you feel the energy of the knife in your hand ?" Edgar asked suddenly so I continued looking at the knife. In one way the knife looked rather rough and plain yet again in another light one could clearly see the magic runes sparkling in the metal as if the metal itself were alive. I casually flipped the knife one handed into the air watching it fly through the air. The knife spun like a top end over end then as the handle came calmly too rest back in my right hand feeling how well balanced the knife felt. It wasn't made of any regular known metal I had ever seen. The dullness of the color around the outer edge of the knife made me think that it was possibly that it had been dipped in silver. Many of the Indian nations made different religious items out of silver. This knife was balanced too fly through the air tumbling end over end. It was a stiletto style more than a normal Bowie style type knife. "This is a very interesting fine knife you have there Edgar. But if you think I'm going too use it or anything else near as deadly too kill you. It aren't happening today my friend or any other day while I'm alive." I flipped the knife so the handle was pointed back in Edgar's direction. "I can't kill you Edgar. Indian or no you have done nothing too me or bad that I know of too warrant killing you." I held the knife steady for Edgar too retake.

"But I want too die." Edgar continued to state his request with what I could only describe as a deep seated conviction. "I have lived more years than you can ever imagine. I've hunted every known dark creature. I have lead a proud warrior's life. I've done my Father and Mother Proud. They hunted same said dark creature's dispatching each one without fail. I am ready to go too the happy hunting grounds to be with them. So Please Marshal will you kill me?" I'm still trying too figure Edgar out when I noticed the tail tale sign of movement in the brush behind Edgar down the trail a little ways. Edgar sensed the movement from behind him as well but did not turn around. "My advice to you Lawman is you will most certainly be in need of that knife." Edgar waved the knife away. "The Black wolf is on his way. I am afraid that for once he is not here for me." I was about too ask what the Hell the crazy Indian was waxing on about when I saw a figure stepping our way from up the trail at the tree line. The figure was shadowy as the darkness edged in on us faster than I could have thought possible. I held my left hand near my Colt still holding the silver knife in my right. I was maybe expecting one of the Melville brother's too try too front me so his other two brother's could ambush me from behind. But what I saw coming at us threw me for a bit of a loop much like a good kick too the head would. The figure stepped in a square of light which showed itself too me as that of a young man in his late twenties maybe early thirties. The fact that it was Delmar the youngest of the Melville brothers didn't bother me but the fact that the Delmar was completely nude bothered the living crap out of me.

"Howdy Stranger." I called out too him but he didn't seem too even hear my voice staring off into the darken heavens. Edgar never moved an inch still sitting there on the ground staring up at me. "You will need to use that knife Lawman. The black wolf is about too appear. Your gun will only slow him down. That knife will put an end too him once and for all." I kept my eyes on the Delmar but was listening too everything Edgar Silverkills was telling me. I knew if Delmar was here his brothers had too be close by somewhere but for now Delmar was alone. The other point that bothered me deeply was as he drew closet Delmar began too look totally different from his normally dull self completely out of character for him. Delmar was usually about as smart as a fence line post. Being the youngest Delmar had too fight for whatever scrapes the other members of his loving family were willing too allow to drop too the floor his way. But for Delmar too be walking out in the middle of the woods bucknaked looking like a muscled boxer did not seem right no matter how I thought about it. For some yet unexplained reason everything Edgar was telling me seem extremely important if I planned on remaining above ground for the time being. I kept my eyes on the nude young man who was about ten foot away from both Edgar and my position. "Listen Friend, why don't you just have a seat there on the trail. I"ll rustle up a blanket for you from my horse and we talk this out" I tried too keep my voice calm and even but there was an edge too my voice even I couldn't shake. I'm sure you know there is an itch soldier's gets when they know they were about too go into mortal battle. Sam knew all too well enough that particular feeling. " The knife that crazy Indian had given me was glowing like it had just been pulled from the fire. I was itching like the proverbial sooner hound dog. Delmar eyes suddenly locked onto mine as if he were looking through me. The look from those eyes sent a shutter my entire body. Delmar was normally a pale looking twig too the point of appearing ill. He looked nothing like his former self as his body appeared well defined like he had spent many hour punching cows and I mean that in the literal sense. The eyes which were usually a simple dull brown were now glowing bright yellow gold orbs.

"Prepare yourself Lawman, your world is about too turn on it's edge." Edgar Silverkills rattled on calm as lake water. He still sat there like there was nothingout of the freaking ordinary going on. My heart on the other hand was pounding like a steam engine sending enough adrenaline through by body too give an elephant a very serious coronary. Meanwhile Delmar continued too stand his ground there every other heartbeat his head would turn up looking at the damnable night sky. "The Indian is right Mister." Delmar finally spoke up like he was simply out for a casual stroll his eyes boring into mine as I stared back at him. "The clouds are about too break then the fun will begin." Delmar smiled as he spoke still looking up into the sky. I couldn't help myself but I too had too look up to see just what the blazes this loony was looking at. My senses still strained too hear any single movement from any of the rest of Delmar brothers. I noticed that night was in full swing now which threw me a bit off as it was only moments before bright arse day. I didn't realize how long I had been standing there talking too Edgar Silverkills. The trail around us was illuminated by a faint silver glow which should not have been there in the deep woods. It seemed to radiate from around every cloud that I could see from where we were standing. I watched Delmar closely waiting for him too give a signal too his brothers which were most likely laying in wait. But he remained there standing in his spot staring at the sky in anticipation but for what I didn't have a freaking single clue. Delmar and I just stood there staring up into the heaven's when the clouds seem too part like Moses did the Red Sea. A bright full moon shown down on all of us there in that narrow ass trail there in a thick growth of forest in a glow that almost blinded me.

Now don't get me wrong. I had seen plenty enough strange stuff in this world that I still can not always explain. But when the rays of that full moon washed down over Delmar's figure it was like a clap of lightening stroke him. His entire body seemed to become covered in a bright yellow energy which pulsed through him even going down into the ground. I stood there my mouth a gap staring at the apparition from Hell. His body began too contort in directions that was anything but natural for any animal let alone a human being. "I might advise you too run, Lawman. " the Delmar struggled too say as his head began too deform into shapes that hurt too even watch. "But that would only make the kill a little more fun." He looked beforehand to be around five foot eight in height. But as his body whither he grew too around seven foot in height his legs elongating as well as his arms. His muscle seemed too multiply times ten bulking out twice what I was which was large even for that time and generation. My heart stopped dead as a watch who's spring had just came unwound. His skin turn black as night then a thick coating of hair covered every square inch of his body. His mouth and nose elongated into a snout with a thick row of sharp white teeth. In the matter of only a few seconds the dull lummox of one Delmar Melville turned into a full fledged black wolf the size of a freaking roan horse.

"This is but one of the many dark creatures that roam the Earth. " Edgar informed me as I stood there staring at this growing wicked nightmare. I had faced many men one on one in a gunfight. I had fought rogue Indian's on the warpath. But this werewolf was a new category of weird that I had never for a moment would have imagined that existed at least at that point and time. "I am one of a rare breed of soldier's that fight these and many other types of demons that roam good Mother Earth." Edgar explained death pan still seated there cross legged on the ground. "I have fought valiantly for the last hundred years and through the long centuries grow bone weary. I wish too rest and go too the happy hunting ground to be with my mother and father." Edgar got a far off look in his eyes as he remembered something or someone. "My precious Heather Sue is there waiting as well taking great care of my parent." Edgar Silverkills finally rose too his feet taking his place beside me looking back at the hairy nightmare not even batting an eye. "You asked for a reason why I want to die. I have fought for so long that I am tired. I wish only too rest. But the fight for Mother Earth is still going to go on long after I have reached the Happy Hunting ground." He looked towards the werewolf that was still standing it ground staring back at them both with a gleam of blood lust in those fural eyes. "My advise too you is too use the knife on our furry friend over there. " Edgar pointed back towards the furry creature. I concentrated on the wolf man which only moments before had been a perfectly normal human being. I slowly turned too look Edgar in the eye. I had a faint idea what Edgar was trying too say too me in an offhanded way. Out of the corner of my right eye a caught The wolf starting too walk in a circle advancing on Edgar and my position. I expected Edgar to move behind me to keep out of the wolf's reach but he did no such thing. The old Indian warrior stood his ground there staring bold face as a young buck at the advancing beast."I will not die by your hand Demon." Edgar declared holding his head up high letting out a war cry that made the advancing beast pause for a fraction of a second. He held out his right hand producing a amulet made of silver againmuch like the knife I was still holding in my right hand. The wolf growled seeming not too like the sight of the little bobble. I watched the wolf trying not too stiffen when the wolf's eyes fell on me. I so wanted too empty my Navy Colt into the head of the deadly creature. But Edgar's earlier words seem too scream inside my head. "You will need the knife." kept repeating inside my head. Plus the way the wolf reacted too the silver amulet seemed too tell me that forty five caliber lead wasn't going to do the job efficiently enough.

The wolf suddenly reared up and let loose with a blood curdling roar then dug its massive clawed feet into the ground charging at Edgar and I lethal elongated hands with claws ready too go for my throat. I feinted with the knife slashing for the wolf man's throat. The elongated neck pulled away from the edge of the knife like it was made of rubber. But the wolf's elongated arms and claws on the tip of each finger ripped into my duster ripping it too shreds there across my chest. "You must aim for the heart." I could hear Edgar's voice in my head calmly refereeing from his position still in the middle of the trail. I changed directions whipping the knife across the wolf's out stretched forearms. The wolf let loose with a roar of pain as the edge of the knife cut through the tough hairy hide. The cuts sizzled as the silver cut through the flesh. As the wolf pulled his arms back I spun around coming back at the wolf in a opposite direction going under the out stretched arms sinking the silver blade into the wolf's chest clear too the hilt. The roar was like a roll of thunder nearly deafening me. The wolf pulled back trying too clutch at the knife in his chest but everytime his hands touched the metal silver hilt his skin burned. I stood there gaping as I watched the figure transform back and forth from wolf too human then back again. I glanced at Edgar who was now chanting as well as dancing in a small circle as the wolf crashed against a tree trunk shaking the entire tree. His body slowly slide to the ground raising a cloud of dirt around him as he hit. When the body was finally at rest the wolf was now fully a man again still with the knife protruding from his now hairless chest. I was taken aback as the Delmar now looked so frail as the life slowly seeped out of him. Edgar's chanting grew louder as he came closer too the fallen soul. Delmar looked up too Edgar Silverkills his face looking calm then he looked directly at me. "Thank You kind sir," he mutter in a weak voice. "My pain and the curse is now done." the last of his words faded as did his life force as a last breath slowly rattled out of his pale body.

Edgar Silverkills stopped chanting then slowly lowered his arms too his side. He reached down then carefully pulled the silver knife from the poor souls chest. Edgar wiped it clean then turned towards me holding out the knife towards me. I looked from the dead figure against the tree then back up toward Edgar. I slowly advance placing my hand on top of Edgar's. The world around us both turned inky black as if the outside world had totally disappeared and Edgar and I were the only remaining matter in the universe to exist. " I am not immortal but I have lived two hundred fifty years. I was given the gift of longevity where I age one year for every hundred that pass. I was given this gift from another medicine man who fought like myself through many centuries." I couldn't pull away from Edgar even if I had wanted too taking in everything he had to say. "I pass to you the ability to heal faster than humanly normal. This gift I received from something that came from another world through a crack in time. " Edgar reached behind his back producing a small leather bound book which he handed to me with his free left hand. "This is a accounting of all my adventures and explains what I have learned in my battles too protect Mother Earth from the realm of time that exist beyond what we know as here." I looked to the well worn leather book Edgar held then with my free left hand took the book from Edgar. "The battle for Mother Earth is now passed over too you James Nathaniel Donovan." For reasons I couldn't even explain I was not surprised that Edgar Silverkills a man let alone an Indian I had never met before knew my full name. "I pass the mantle over too you Lawman. Do whatever you must too protect Mother Earth before those not of our time try too rule over us all." Edgar stated then stepped away from me the world coming back into focus all around us. Edgar Silverkills started chanting then dancing in a small circle. After about what I can only guess was maybe two or more minutes another brilliant light appeared from out of the trees. It was like a bolt of lightening traveling horizontally cross the ground going from east too west. The ground began to shake like we were standing right next to a steam locomotive doing one hundred miles an hour. The lightening streak shot across the path coming from one side of the forest into the next. I could feel the energy on my skin as the light enveloped everything blocking the path. Edgar Silverkills stopped dancing as he looked up seeing the light in front of him then smiled looking into the wall of energy which was only a step away from where he stood. "Goodbye My Friend. May the Earthly Mother always show you love." Edgar waved too me as he stepped into the light disappearing completely in the blink of an eye. The forest instantly went back too normal as the light disappeared like it had never been there to begin with.

Sam Tyler had sat completely quiet through Jim's entire story. She was about too argue a fact or three when over Jim Donovan's shoulder Sam caught site of a leather bound notebook resting on a shelf with a Indian hatchet sitting on its blade edge and a Indian peace pipe resting next too that. Jim walked over lifting the book from a shelf handing it too Sam who flipped it open. She read the first date that showed when Edgar Silverkills started documenting his story. The Sam flipped through the book till she noticed where Jim Donovan started documenting his encounters. It was no surprise that Jake had hunted down the remaining Melville clan eradicating another wolf brother while the remaining two were normal. The first entry for Jim was 1891 the last was somewhere around 1967. It didn't take Sam long too do the math as it was 2014 now present time from 1891. "You meet Edgar Silverkills one hundred thirteen freaking years ago." Sam was stating a fact she already knew but she looked Jim over from top too bottom closely.

"Like Edgar told me. I age one year for every hundred."Jim raised his shoulders in a non committal shrug. "I come too join Project Blackthorne in 1969 and have been commander of the group for the last twenty five years. We meaning the team have saved a good number of lives, gathered enough interesting artifacts too keep our research department busy for well into the next millennium." Jim took the book from Sam placing it back on the shelf in its former spot reverence. "And we have met learned and returned plenty of alien's to their own times or their perspective places."

"I would say this would take some getting used too." Sam said. "But those Weevil's exactly what is know about them? Plus I would like a general idea of how many alien's are still living on Earth?" Sam demanded as much as asked a question. Jim gave Sam a lopsided smile as he took in her request. "The number of actual alein's that are living on Earth? It's kind of hard too say exactly. But Project Blackthorne have found homes or sanctuaries where they could live in relative peace." A audible beep broke into their exchange of information. "Come." Jim called out towards his room door which opened exactly on que. A lethal looking oriental man deck out all in black from head to toe walked through the door into the room. His stoic features broke into a wide toothy smile that light up the room. "Howdy Boss." he spoke softly with the lightest hint of a California surfer too his voice. Jim brightened at the site of the dark oriental gentleman. "Back at you. Luther Tonaka , I would like too introduce our newest member to Project Blackthorne. Samatha Tyler." Jim waved back and forth between the two of them. "Righteous, Lovely Lady." Luther bowed like a proper oriental of old. "You look like you were regular Army. But I can also see in your eyes that you have shredded a wave or two in your time Miss Tyle." Luther gave her a hand sign she had seen plenty of times when she was at the beach in Hawaii,

"Please call me Sam. " Sam instantly liked Luther Tonaka. "You look like a specialist so I'm guessing C.I.A." Tonaka continued too smile but shook his head negative. "Close but no cigar , Sam. " Luther made a face then held his right hand like he was holding a cigar. "And if you say the secret word. You'll win one hundreds." He said in his best Grouncho Marx's impression. "Luther came too us through the N.S.A." Jim Donovan waved a hand drawing everyone's attention. "Now Groucho, what did you come in here for other than too leer at the lovely lady?" Luther grinned winking at Sam then turning back towards Donovan. "Mother has requested a meeting in the galley in ten minutes. I suspect we are updating on our mission at hand. " Tonaka waved to Sam. "Welcome too our little band of pirate's." Tonaka turned to Jim. "See you both in ten." then popped out the door as fast as he had entered. Jim went over too his small desk then hit a few keys on a armor plated laptop resting on the table. "Looks like we are being diverted for some reason. I guess we'll wait and let Mother explain." Jim waved for Sam too head towards the door. "I guess we better hit the galley and see what has changed today." Jim let Sam lead the way but Sam could hear Jim mumble under his breath. "Which usually is never good for us anyway."

The galley was alive with sound this time around as Sam Tyler and Jim Donovan walked into the room. The drone quieted down at the appearance of Donovan. He walked too the center of the two tables then waved a hand over toward Sam yet again. "OK people, This is Sam Tyler. She is our newest member to our little crew with Project Blackthorne. "Jim pointed toward Luther again. "Big L you've met. He is our specialist in historical lore and artifacts. " Jim pointed over too the behemoth she had met even earlier. "Hannibal Gregor Sikes vou've also already met. He is as big as a house but gentle as a Russian bear. He is our heavy weaponry specialist and he can drive anything anywhere in the world." Hannibal held up a hand. "Any make any model if it has four wheels or at least two track I can make it dance." he added in waving a hand to Sam. "I'll be sure too keep that in mind." Sam smiled back too Hannibal. Jim pointed too the next member too Hannibla's right." A young man smiled back at Sam but she could have swore he couldn't have been more the eighteen. Sam had seen plenty of young grunts in the Army that looked like they were old men compared too this one fellow. "Hi, my name is Bryan Holts." Bryan stepped forward shaking Sam's hand. "I'm the gadget geek is the best way too descried my specialty. I develop the goodies Blackthorne use against all the out of this world or time line thingy's that we may come too face. " Jim stepped forward smiling too Sam. "Yes Bryan is the youngest of the group at twenty seven. But he hold several degrees in engineering and if I'm not mistaken rocket science or something of the like." Jim patted Bryan on the right shoulder which made Bryan blush six different shades of red. "He also reverse engineers any artifacts that we happen too come across in our travels." Sam leaned in close to Bryan and mock whisper. "Who do we sale the patients too?" Sam smiled as she said it. Bryan looked totally taken a back at first but when he saw that Jim, Hannibal and Luther were both snickering and smiling so Bryan finally broke into a smile of his own. "OH I just reverse engineer the goodies for us too learn from and to make use of if we need them at any given time. Jim broke into Bryan's train of thought. "OK OK we know that you were a band geek when you were in high school last month." Bryan spun and glared at Jim but for only a second. He turned back towards Sam and whisper. "I played the base drum" he admitted with a proud smile. Jim turned to another of the members. A lethal looking platinum blonde smiled to Sam extending her hand. "The name is Kiran Lively. I'm the weapons expert formerly with the British S.A.S. I help young master Holt with any of the artifacts that are weapon related. I'm guessing you want need any weapons training." Kiran stated more as a fact than a question. "I'll be sure too issue you a Berretta or are you a Smith and Wesson type?" Sam Tyler thought for a moment then smiled back at Kiran. "I would really prefer a forty caliber Glock too either of the others you mentioned." Kiran Lively nodded approving of Sam's choice. "Not a bad choice there Miss Tyler. Sorry Sam." Kiran quickly corrected herself. "I'll have one for you within the hour."

Jim Donovan pointed too yet another female member in the group. She had the look of a model about her but something about her seemed too ring a spark of recognition in Sam's brain. Sam would have sworn that she had seen this lady somewhere before. "This is Jessie Kenner . She is our intelligence officer when Mother isn't hovering around." Jim made sure too peer around making sure Mother wasn't about anywhere close by. Jessie Kenner waved too Sam from her seat. She had jet black hair and crystal blue eyes which seemed able too look into your soul. Jessie nodded as she knew that Sam's mind was racing into overdrive trying too place her face. After several more heart beat's Jess spilled the beans. "You were stationed in the Green Zone in Iraq. You were the commander of a weapons team looking for WMD's." WMD's meaning weapon's of mass destruction. Sam snapped her fingers as it all came flooding back. "You were the C.I.A field agent in charge. You gave my team the information that located a cash of S.A.R.S weaponry that General Yars of the Iraqi Army was trying too smuggle out of the country." Sam walked forward extending a hand too Jessie. Jessie extended her hand shaking Sam's. "That shit nearly made it out of the country had you not given us that information." Sam admitted actually amazed that a spook could actually get the job done. "Well in all truth." Jessie chimed in remembering the mission. "I had help from two officer's in the upper rank's of the Iraqi Armed Forces. But they were both executed not long after your mission was completed. I wanted too avenge the sacrifice but the Agent In Charge at the time refused too let me go in." Jess looked too Jim smiling. "Then this big Lug nut," she pointed at Jim Donovan. "kept me from going too prison." Jim held up a halting hand drawing Sam's attention. "Threatening too blow the A.I.G into orbit with a truck load of Semtex isn't exactly the best way too advance one's career for any of us." Jim walked over to the last member in the room. He had the look of a lawyer at Sam's first glance but there seemed to be something more to this one. Sam couldn't help but notice the wise ass smile on his face as he stared back at her. Then Sam's angry flared as he raised his eyebrows mockingly at her. "You little fucker!" Sam roared producing a tanto blade from a hidden sheath she had at the small of her back. Hannibal started hooting liking that there was going to be some interesting action. Luther clapped his hands together. "Hey someone else that knows Lane as good as we do." Luther rubbed his hands together. "Hopefully Sam will cutoff his balls first." Jim Donovan quickly moved in front of Sam as she went after the eyebrows which were now furrowed and trying desperately to protect his testicles. Jim quickly got his hands on Sam moving directly into her oncoming path. Jim's right hand clamped down on her wrist holding the knife while his left hand gently rested on Sam's hip guiding her away from her attack plan. "Look Sam, I hired you too join our group for your understanding of strange situations as well as for your killer instinct. But not for killing those that you work with so do you mind telling me why you want too kill this butt-head?"

Sam glared over at the remaining Member of the Group. "That fucker gave away the position of my team as we were trying to do an infiltration in Iraq. You nearly cost me several member's of my team!" Sam roared. Jim Donovan looked over too the aforementioned person. "Nate Lane, do you care too explain yourself? It seems too me we have had the same discussion before ourselves." Nathaniel Lane looked indigent back at Jim then looked back too Sam Tyler a pleading look in his eyes. "I swear on my mother's life. My editor was the fool that leaked that information out." Nate held his right hand up like he was being sworn in. Sam turned to face Jim. "Why in the name of Hell would Blackthorne need a freaking newspaper reporter?" Sam spoke the last part of the query like she was chewing on something very bitter. Before Jim Donovan could speak up. Nate Lane stepped up coming within reasonable reach of Sam's position. "I walked away from that newspaper because of what that editor was doing too get his stories printed. I started my own internet news line which Blackthorne found interesting and offered me a position of computer analyst with them. I can reported on cases that the regular main stream newspapers would not. But Blackthorne liked my ability too gather information or find people that don't want to be found. I admit my past hasn't been at its staler best but I try to be an asset to Blackthorne and I hope to gain your trust proving myself too you." Nate had slowly moved closer to Sam's position as he spoke coming within arms reach of Sam. upon Nate's last word's he stood before her his hand extended towards her in a hand shake. Nate Lane hoped beyond hope that Sam Tyler wouldn't grab his hand the flip him bodily out the nearest portal. Jim Donovan hoped the exact same hope unfortunately Hannibal and Luther hoped the opposite. Sam eyed Nate closely then slowly slide her tanto knife back into its sheath at the small of her back then slowly reached forward shaking Nate's hand.

Jim Donovan let out a slow breath of relief while Hannibal and Luther let out a blowing breath of disappointment at this change of events. A cabin door opened allowing Mother to walk into the room. Jim turned to her expectantly. "OK let's hear what Mother has too say." Jim leaned against a wall paying strict attention to Mother. "OK Ladies and Gentlemen, we have been rerouted too Arizona. A small dusty town just outside of Edwards Air Force base. Yes! Before anyone asks we will be close too Area 51." It was Nate Lane that raised his hand. "Isn't that near too one of our Rift Fault lines?" Mother nodded then turned pointing too a empty wall that turned into a projection screen. "This photo was taken at 11:35am Pacific Standard time from one of our own satellites." Mother explained pointing at a aerial photo of a desert green land. A large silver sphere stood out in the middle like a sore thumb of all the green foliage. "Do you have footage of the before then the after when the sphere appeared? Lane asked staring intently at the screen. Mother simply nodded changing the picture automatically to the before which showed a quiet dry green belt. Then she nodded yet again and everyone could see that the foliage had been stirred like a whirling tornado had appeared out of nowhere. The satellite photo also showed the area looked like it had been hit by a monsoon quite recently.

Sam Tyler raised a hand tentatively this time as she stared at the photos. "OK I'm guessing that this is some alien artifact and I'm also spit balling that this is near a Rift?" Mother looked too Jim with a raised questioning eyebrow. "Jim, may I bring Sam up to date the hard way?" she had no mean intention in her voice or Sam at least hoped she didn't/ Jim Donovan thought about it for a second then turned too Sam. "Mother is going to do something. It will seem a tad bit strange but it will help you understand all this in a nutshell. So go easy on Mother cause she is not going too hurt you." Sam Tyler's brow wrinkled in confusion at Jim's words. Sam had too steady her nerves as Mother suddenly appeared directly in front of her. Mother smiled warmly looking down at Sam. She bent forward her right hand extending reaching for Sam's head. Sam's brain wondered right off the bat how the Hell a hologram was going too touch her. But Sam's brain flashed as Mother's finger tips brushed Sam's right temple. Information began too rush through Sam's mind at an incredible rate than she thought was humanly possible. After a few second's Sam noticed that Mother was now back across the room looking back at her smiling. Sam looked to Jim who looked back at her waiting too make sure Sam was going to be alright. "How the HELL did she do that?" Jim smirked back at Sam. "Remember we are the Blackthorne Project. We come across strange alien things. Mother is an artificial intelligence with attitude." Luther leaned in close too Sam careful not too startle her. "And a Hell of a lot of alien programming that we came across on a former mission."

"Who do we suspect came in the sphere through the Rift? Kiran Lively spoke up now. Mother raised her shoulder in a shrug. "That is why Control is rerouting us. I believe they intend us too find out." Sam found it strange that she understood when Mother spoke of "Control" that she was refering to Blackthorne's home office which happened to be in Charlotte North Carolina. Charoltte was a thrilling east coast city that was big on banking but was growing equally in research developement. "When we touchdown I want Sam to take charge especially with any communcations with the military which will want too horn in on the site." Jim advised from his leaning position against the wall. "We are ahead of them as it stands for right now?" Mother nodded. "Control came across the photo in a regular scan. But they quickly put up a barrier too keep all the other satelites blind too the area for the next seventy two hours. The local law enforcement have had an inkling of a goings on out there in the desert but we are keeping them deaf for the moment feeding them news that a solar flare has knocked out their telecommuncations for the time being." Sam turned towards Kiran. "Hopefully I will be able too get geared up before we land at the site?" kiran nodded affirmative. "We should be there in," Kiran looked towards Mother who nodded back. "We will be reaching a desert landing site we control in the next eleven houors." Kiran turned back too Sam. "Ill have you in full gear in the next six hours or less." Jim Donovan clapped his hands drawing everyone's attention back too him. "OK ,we know what we are doing. Lets get too it. Sam I want too talk to you some more after Kiran has got you geared up. Let get too it."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

160K 8.2K 17
ABHIMANYU RATHORE is 28 years old. He belongs to Royal family. He is the oldest son in Rathore family. He is the CEO of Rathore Enterprise. He is the...
104K 160 22
just my thoughts tyy for 40k reads in just 16 days BTW MY INSTA USERNAME IS NOW @yum1kim_
299K 18.1K 40
You live in a different time zone Think I know what this is It's just the time's wrong
18.3K 1.4K 38
𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝟐𝐧𝐝 𝐛𝐨𝐨𝐤 𝐨𝐟 𝐬𝐡𝐨𝐫𝐭 𝐬𝐭𝐨𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐬 𝐚𝐛𝐨𝐮𝐭 𝐨𝐥𝐢𝐯𝐢𝐚 𝐫𝐨𝐝𝐫𝐢𝐠𝐨 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐲/𝐧'𝐬 𝐦𝐞𝐞𝐭-𝐜𝐮𝐭𝐞𝐬/𝐥𝐨𝐯𝐞 𝐬𝐭𝐨𝐫𝐢�...