Dragon of Legend: Destiny (Pu...

By voif1d

Facing the most powerful man in the Lands armed with nothing but a sword and the hope that she could prevail... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Buy the Book!
Chapter 37
Chapter 38 (final)

Chapter 34

185K 1.1K 158
By voif1d

Haiden leaned back to avoid the tip of a blade. It swished harmlessly past him, cutting through the air. He felt a wave of admiration for the opponent he was fighting. It was a rider whose lack of a helmet revealed a bald head, brown eyes, and a scar running from his right eye down to his upper lip. His large red dragon showed the same amount of skill and determination as his rider. Both Haiden and Fury were delighted to find more of a challenge in them than the other riders they had faced so far. Fury dodged a ball of fire and returned one of his own.

Around and below them graduates and a few remaining Academy students fought but, Haiden's forces still had the upper hand. The fact was that the Academy riders and dragons were exhausted from the battle. Once again, their numbers were falling steadily.

Haiden twisted in his saddle, dodging another blow from his opponent's sword.

Not bad, he thought. How much longer do you think he can keep it up?

Fury snorted in reply. He twisted in the air and struck the red dragon with his tail. They're both already tiring. They must have come with the first group from the Academy, the black dragon noted as Haiden and the man locked blades.

The man's eyes flashed with hatred. It amused Haiden more than anything.

I wonder if he knows he's about to die, he thought as he pushed the other man's blade away. From the way he fights he seems certain that he can achieve something. I don't see why they don't learn that there's no hope. He ducked his head and the blade once again swung harmlessly over him. Haiden smirked. No one can match me. Can't they see that we'll always be superior?

Why don't we stop playing and just rid the Lands of them? Fury interrupted Haiden's thoughts. He was referring to the dragon and rider they were fighting.

A little grouchy aren't we? Haiden sighed as he and Fury pushed the man and red dragon back.

I don't take pleasure in delaying the inevitable. I just want to face the white dragon and get it over with. This has been going on long enough, Fury retorted as he dodged.

Haiden let out a regretful sigh. He pulled his sword back and attacked his opponent with new vigor. He threw his left hand out, sending a ball of fire at the rider. As expected, the man dodged it. Yet, it had done its job and distracted him, making him lose sight of Haiden's sword for a split second. That was all Haiden needed to plunge the sword deep into the man's chest while Fury sliced open the dragon's belly, ripping the armor off and getting to the tender skin. The dragon let out a scream of pain.

"A pity," Haiden said as he stared into the man's eyes. "You would have fared better had you fought on my side." With that he pulled his sword free and watched as dragon and rider plummeted towards the ground. Both would die either from the fall or their injuries, Haiden couldn't care less. To him, they had already ceased to exist.

He approaches. As Fury said it his head snapped over to the direction in which the white dragon had disappeared in earlier. He landed on the battleground below, not bothered by the groaning rider in red that lay half buried beneath the dead red dragon.

"Finally," Haiden breathed. Just like his dragon's eyes, his own were glued to the horizon. Soon enough he caught the distant shape of a dragon flying towards him. He smiled, but as the dragon grew closer his smile faltered. There's something different. He could feel it in the air.

Wanting to take a closer look, his used his dragon's sight. That was when he saw it. The dragon coming towards them was a snow white, a shade whiter than he had been when he left.

He's matured, Fury growled. His eyes flashed and his tail swished back and forth.

Haiden didn't respond. His whole body grew stiff and his smile was completely wiped from his face as he noticed the second thing that was different about the dragon. There, upon the dragon's back, sat a rider tall and proud.

Dragon and rider were still too far away for Haiden to clearly see who the rider was, even through Fury's eyes, yet there was something eerily familiar. He felt uneasiness creep through him as the dragon drew closer. Then the features of the rider became clearer. Upon seeing the figure's flowing black hair, Haiden's fear was confirmed. All the entertainment and amusement he had felt during the battle left him. It was replaced by a deep sense of hatred.

Fury's muscles grew rigid as he mirrored his rider's reaction. Around the black dragon, other dragons and riders seemed to pause, freezing with swords in the air or inches before striking another as they too, became aware of the new presence which demanded attention. The sound of the battle ceased and head after head turned into the direction of the approaching dragon and rider.

As the dragon grew closer, he descended. Finally, he landed. Men and horses, dragons and riders, all got out of the way, either in fear or in awe at the power radiating from both dragon and rider. They parted left and right as the dragon strode forward. Not one tried to stop him as he walked on. He came to standstill a few meters from where Haiden and Fury stood.

There was silence as the white dragon and rider stood facing Haiden and Fury. For a moment they simply stared at each other, sizing the other up.

Haiden broke the silence. "Impossible," he breathed. His eyes were glued on the rider seated on the white dragon. She was not wearing a helmet and thus he could easily make contact with her clear blue eyes, eyes which had been a milky grey not long before.

"You're dead!" he spat.

Akira showed no sign of breaking eye contact. Her blue eyes seemed to pierce right into Haiden's dark soul as they stared at him. "It seems that death wasn't ready for me yet."

"Death isn't ready for many riders, yet it does not send them back!" Haiden was shaking with the rage that flowed through him. This isn't possible! The girl's very presence was evidence that for the first time things were not going according to his plan.

A smile spread across Akira's face. "Maybe it returned me as I was not the rider for that spot."

Haiden stared at her. This new Akira reeked of confidence and power, something that he had not come across before, a quality that only he had possessed all those years.

"Perhaps," Akira continued, "that spot was meant for you."

Fury growled, taking a step forward. Haiden's hand tightened visibly around his sword, however, unlike his dragon he remained outwardly calmer.

A cocky smile appeared on his face. "One way or another, by the end of today one of us will keep death company." Fury charged.

Akira's eyes flickered to the dead red dragon and the rider that lay at Haiden's feet. For a split second recognition, followed by grief, flashed through her eyes. Then it was gone and she drew her sword. As though that were the signal, Redemption bounded forward.

As the black and white dragon charged at each other, the dragons and riders around them could only watch in wonder. This fight was no longer theirs; this fight was between two dragons and riders. The outcome would determine the future, the one who would take all. Thunder rolled in the distance as the dragons bore down on each other. Dark clouds were quickly approaching as they appeared to sense that the final battle had begun.

As Redemption charged, Akira saw no one but Haiden. Her eyes were glued on him. Nothing else mattered. Nothing else existed in the moment that the two dragons raced towards each other and their riders stared each other down. Their hands gripped their swords tightly, determination written on their faces. Each was ready to kill, each was ready to live.

The ground shook as the claws of both dragons kicked up dirt. They picked up speed as they hurtled towards each other.

Akira tried not to think of the fact that Levi and his dragon were lying on the ground, killed by the leech that had taken so many lives. Haiden will pay, Akira thought angrily, with his life.

Suits me, Redemption replied as he thundered on.

Meters from each other, both dragons rose into the air. They shot past each other, Haiden and Akira's swords clashing while their dragons snapped their teeth, each trying to tear a chunk of flesh from the other. When they were both out of reach, they whirled around and landed before charging once again. This time, when they came within range, they twisted around each another, snapping and clawing, trying to get to others neck and stomach.

Then, they rose steadily in the air. Both twirled gracefully as more thunder rolled, this time louder than before. The sky was ready to join the battle below.

As the dragons twisted upwards, the riders fought. Akira blocked Haiden's sword thrusts, his strength behind it not seeming as overwhelming as it had the first time she had fought him. She tried to get past his guard, to get to the weak link in his armor and finish him off. However, he seemed to read her thoughts and matched her every move with his own. He skillfully pushed her back, denying her blade the access it sought.

Once the blade narrowly grazed her side, just avoiding piercing the flesh. In the next moment, it took a small piece of her hair instead of cutting her throat. Akira fought back, matching Haiden's move. Her blade even tasted blood as she managed to leave a cut on Haiden's cheek. Yet despite this, neither of the two could get the results they wanted.

Both riders found themselves facing the feeling of frustration as their opponent dodged fate again and again. Haiden especially was getting worked up. How is it that the girl I defeated so easily before now matches my every move? It's impossible, he thought. Yet, it was happening right at that very moment. It's time to switch tactics, Fury.

Finally, his dragon replied. Now the fun will really begin.

As Haiden broke off his attack and Fury moved out of reach, Akira was left confused. However, as the black dragon's mouth opened, her eyes widened in realization.

Hang on, Redemption warned. He, too, had caught on and dived to the right just in time to avoid a fireball.

"Great," Akira muttered as she remembered the last battle. That time when the fire had come into the mixture, things had ended in a disaster. She wasn't ready to suffer the same fate twice.

Shoving the unpleasant memory aside, she leaned down closer to Redemption. It was not a moment too late. She felt the heat blast pass over her as a fireball flew by, so close some of her hair curled with the heat.

I don't suppose breathing fire comes with reaching maturity? Akira thought. If Redemption could breathe fire, things would be a lot easier.

Not quite, Redemption replied as he dodged another fireball. This time Akira had to duck once again as a smaller fireball headed her way. Haiden had begun to join in his dragon's game.

It's something you have to learn. It's not as easy as it looks... Redemption started to explain as he abruptly shot upwards. Fury easily followed.

Could you at least try? Akira prompted. She was not in the mood for a lecture from her dragon when they were fighting for their lives. You brought me back from the verge of death. Breathing fire should be nothing compared to that.

It doesn't work like that, Redemption replied grumpily. Yet, even as he spoke he flipped around and turned to face Fury head on. He opened his mouth wide. Akira held her breath and both Haiden and Fury's eyes widened as they paused in mid-air, their confidence slipping.

Here it goes, Redemption thought. He took a deep breath and then breathed out.

Akira watched with a mounting anticipation. This was it, the moment of truth. As she waited, there was a moment's pause. What followed made Akira's mouth fall open in disbelief.

Her eyes followed the small smoke spiral that came from Redemption's nostrils. Redemption himself had lapsed into a series of coughs, seeming to cough up something that looked suspiciously like soot. As for the glorious fire they had all waited for, it didn't appear.

That was it? Akira screeched in her dragon's mind as she watched amusement flicker across Haiden's face. What are you trying to do, kill them with bad breath?

Well, what did you expect? Redemption coughed up another load of soot. The embarrassment at the awkward event was clear in his voice.

I don't know, Akira told him as Redemption dived to dodge a ball of fire from Fury who had resumed his attacks. When it passed, Akira shot a nervous glance back at Haiden, waiting for his next move. I was hoping something a lot like a large ball of fire would come from your mouth. How can you be mature and not breathe fire?

Hey! Redemption replied sounding hurt. I told you it wasn't easy. It's like throwing you off a roof and telling you to fly!

Akira opened her mouth to reply, but she was cut off as Redemption suddenly spun left. Once again he dodged a ball of fire which passed too close for comfort. It made Akira long for the protection of her helmet.

Ree, any ideas? she thought hopefully as Redemption flew in zigzags, dodging another fireball. The sound of a battle resuming carried over the wind, signifying that the Academy students and graduates had returned to fighting for their lives.

Hold tight. Redemption dived straight down.

Akira peeped over his head, ignoring the wind that slapped her face and brought tears to her squinted eyes. She tried to figure out what her dragon was up to when she caught sight of a large building below. It was growing closer every second. For a moment she wasn't sure, but then Akira realized that it was a palace. Like the Academy, it had a flat roof. On each of its four corners stood a tower, they should have been filled with archers but were currently devoid of anybody.

Akira could see that the palace itself had once been beautiful. She could tell by the certain noble air it possessed. Yet the dark feeling that lay about it overshadowed any beauty it once possessed. Just the very sight of it sent shivers down Akira's spine, along with an uncomfortable feeling as she realized whom this palace belonged to. It had been in this building that she had suffered, in this building that she had endured great pain where Haiden had tortured her ok a day before.

It's in the past, Redemption told her softly.

Akira didn't reply. Instead, she sheathed her sword. There was no use to holding it when she wasn't about to use it. Right now, she would rather have both her hands to hold on to the saddle. As Redemption continued to dive straight for the palace below, she clung all the more tightly to the saddle.

Her dragon was only inches from colliding into the building when he dodged it, heading right for the cobbled streets and the few houses and arches that stood below.

Dipping his wings, Redemption dodged another flame. It whisked past him and smashed into the streets below, forming a small crater in the cobblestone road. Skillfully, Redemption followed its path, turning up moments before the ground, and flew through the streets below.

Akira knew he was using the buildings as a cover. It was a way of buying them some time to come up with something, anything that would help them get out of their current situation.

Suddenly, Redemption twisted upside down, flying under an archway. Had Akira not been holding tightly, she would most definitely have fallen. She opened her mouth to reprimand her dragon for the lack of warning, yet as she heard a crash behind her and turned to see the archway topple as a fireball hit it, she decided against complaining.

If the force of Fury's fire was causing this much damage to the town, then she didn't want to know what it would do if it hit her. From what she had experienced, she could only guess that a dragon could breathe much more fire than a rider such as Haiden could form. It was also likely that the strength behind Fury's fireballs was almost three times as much as Haiden's. However, the fact was that both Fury and Haiden could form fire. Match a human against a dragon, and the dragon would win. Match a fire-breathing dragon and fire-forming rider against a dragon that could blow nothing but smoke and soot, and a girl with only a sword, and it wasn't hard to figure out who would come out on top.

Shivering at the thought, Akira held on as Redemption twisted and turned amongst the buildings. His wings occasionally brushed something, and his tail knocked over anything left in the streets, including a wooden cart which was smashed to pieces as his tail catapulted into it when turning a tight corner.

Redemption used every trick he knew to try to shake the dragon on his tail, diving, spinning, and pulling up abruptly. Unfortunately, Fury followed him with ease. Akira could feel Haiden's eyes boring into her back the entire time.

All she and Redemption were doing was running away, and running wasn't going to help with defeating Haiden. But, she and Redemption had no other option, for the dragon and rider that followed them had one large advantage over them. Fire. They were taking turns at it, making sure that Redemption didn't have an opportunity to stop for even a moment.

We need a distraction...something that will give us a chance to attack, Akira thought desperately. That was when it hit her. Ree, I have an idea.

Redemption did a sudden loop and Akira tried to ignore the sick feeling in her stomach.

Not happening, Redemption said firmly as he briefly searched Akira's mind and found all he needed to know. Akira heard something explode behind them and felt the heat on her back. Yet she didn't turn, she didn't want to know what had happened. Redemption flipped to his side, and Akira felt her head brush against something.

It could work. It'll distract them and give you a chance to attack, Akira told her dragon, her voice just as firm.

No way. Redemption leveled out only to turn a sharp right. Upon finding a house in his way, she shot up before diving right back down to the ground level.

Redemption, I'm not asking for permission to do this, Akira told him. Her mind was set.

Redemption let out a huff. How about we wait to see if we can come up with something else? He made another attempt to change his rider's mind.

Unless you come up with something better in the next five seconds, we're going with my plan, Akira warned as she shifted in the saddle.

And why is that? As Redemption asked he turned his head slightly to see Haiden forming a huge fireball. Fury was also opening his mouth. Their timing showed their intentions clearly; they were going to attempt to combine their firepower.

On second thought, Redemption turned a sharp left and shot back towards the palace, your idea sounds okay.

Feeling a wave of heat behind her, Akira glanced back only to have a vision obscured by a huge fireball heading their way.

Uh Ree, have you ever out flown fire before? she asked.

What do you think I've been doing this whole time?

Akira didn't reply. She felt panicked as she leaned as far down to her dragon's neck as possible, hoping that this small action would increase his speed somewhat.

Redemption brought his wings far behind him and stretched his neck, increasing his spread as he desperately tried to keep ahead of the rapidly approaching fire. The palace wall was not far. If he could reach it in time, it would be okay.

Ree, Akira warned him. Her voice betrayed her nervousness as she shot a look at the fire behind them and the wall in front.

Her dragon didn't reply as he tried to stretch his neck further. Just a little further.

"Ree!" Akira screamed in alarm as she realized the fireball was right on her dragon's tail. Her eyes were wide with fear, fear that she wasn't sure she should be feeling for the fire behind or the wall ahead. Either way, she knew the thought of death had something to do with it.

Then, inches from the wall, Redemption turned. He shot straight up, his belly scraping the edge. Behind them, there was a loud crash and when Akira turned her head her mouth fell open. The fire had collided with the wall, leaving not only a black mark on the stone but also forming a huge crater. Cracks appeared all around its collision point. Had the walls not been as thick as they were, they would have crumbled.

Gulping, Akira turned her head back to the front, relief filling her at their narrow escape. That was when she remembered her plan. She felt Redemption searching her mind, picking out exactly what she was thinking at the same time as she thought it.

This is madness, he told her as Akira thought of what she needed him to do.

Akira didn't reply. She already knew it was crazy. However, she needed to distract Haiden and Fury long enough for them to stop shooting fire, so she had no other choice but to proceed.

She shot a glance behind to see that Fury was a good distance behind, too far to breathe fire effectively for a moment. The distance would ensure that there would be a moment that Redemption would be out of the other dragon's sight when he flew over the roof. It was the perfect opportunity.

"Ready?" she asked as they approached the height of the roof.

Let's do this, Redemption replied with determination in his voice. He seemed to have realized that they had no other choice. As he shot up to the roof level, he turned sharply and flipped over on his back. Now! he told Akira.

In response, Akira squeezed her eyes shut, took a deep breath. Before she could re-think about what she was about to do, she let go.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

172 10 4
"𝒀𝒐𝒖 𝒕𝒉𝒊𝒏𝒌 𝒎𝒚 𝒎𝒐𝒎'𝒔 𝒑𝒓𝒐𝒖𝒅 𝒐𝒇 𝒎𝒆?" "𝑰 𝒅𝒐, 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒅𝒐𝒏'𝒕 𝒉𝒂𝒗𝒆 𝒕𝒐 𝒑𝒓𝒐𝒗𝒆 𝒚𝒐𝒖𝒓𝒔𝒆𝒍𝒇 𝒕𝒐 𝒉𝒆𝒓." Destiny H...
13.9K 506 34
(Y/N): "Henshin!!!!!!" (Y/N) (L/N) Nguyen was the chosen one for Kuuga ...after the second of legend Kuuga who sacrificed for himself to the sake of...
19.5K 922 23
Simple actions and choices from the past have the power to alter the future being recognition. Shirou found himself discovering a small trinket of no...
6.7K 368 15
Orphaned at the age of ten, Blake found himself fighting in the streets and learning to fend for himself. His new life at the university was going we...