UNMARKED

By LadyKnightMeg

Song of the Lioness meets Game of Thrones in this thrilling fantasy-adventure! Blayre of Blumore is a Seeker... More

1: Curiosity Killed the Cat
2: Homecoming
3: A Job Interrupted
4: Joy and Curses
5: Thieves in the Night
6: By the Duke's Will
7: Mage Dances
8: King's Orders
9: Expensive Taste
10: Dark Dealings
11: The Underground
12: Connections
13: Celebration and Secrets
14: Motive and Mystery
15: Bite Your Tongue
16: In Plain Sight
17: Dangerous Hunger
18: The Moon and the Sun
19: When Senses Fail
20: Tea Time
21: Past, Present, and Future
22: Sea of Assassins
23: Blurring Lines
24: A New Chapter
25: Hawk and Prey
27: Wild Goose Chase
28: Tangled Threads
29: History Revealed
29, pt 2
30: Return to the Mountains
31: Falling
32: Healing
33: In the Viper's Nest
34: The Power of Observation
35: Trespassing
36: Knives and Claws
37: Reconnaissance
38: Ignorance is Bliss
39: Truth Teller
40: Exhaustion
41: The Calm Before the Storm
42: The Eye of the Storm
43: Hunger for Power
44: Dragonling
45: The Blue of the Sky
46: The Beginning
Acknowledgements
UNMARKED HAS NEW COVER!
Book 2 now available!
Check out As Dark as the Forest

26: A Copper for Your Thoughts

5.6K 535 25
By LadyKnightMeg

The evening progressed with all the joyfulness and energy surrounding such a celebration, but Blayre now struggled to feel any of it. The weight of Duke Lonan's gaze still felt heavy on her shoulders, like a suffocating funeral shroud.

She picked at the finger foods presented to her, and half listened to the hum of conversation around her as Ainslee hung on Seaver's arm and Fletcher and Avery conversed on the topic of the best bladesmiths in the realm. Alessa had disappeared for the moment.

Blayre looked back to Briannon and felt the room again with her sense, but the attempt was futile. The crowd was too large here for her to be of much use. But she expected that Lonan didn't know that. He was always close to the Queen as she moved around the ballroom, socializing. He hovered over her like a mother duck, albeit a sinister one.

Blayre's gaze was like a magnet to Rory even when they were covered head to toe in dirt and sweat from the road, let alone tonight. He had no right to look as good as he did dressed in an emerald and gold brocade tailcoat over black pants and shiny leather boots. But flinched every time their eyes met, and forced herself to tear her gaze away, worried that Lonan's disapproving scowl would find her.

"A copper for your thoughts, dear lady."

Blayre started, and looked at Caval who had somehow reappeared at her elbow, handing her another drink, which she accepted but only sipped slowly at. She needed to be on high alert.

Damn responsibilities and royal families. Damn them to all twelve hells. The half-genuine traitorous thoughts boiled around in her head.

She turned back to Caval, "Sometimes I want to run away from all of, this," She waved a hand indicating the crowd and the grandeur of the coronation ball, "And live in the wilderness with no responsibilities and no one to worry about."

Caval chuckled, "If you weren't so skilled at what you do, I'd say you picked the wrong profession."

Blayre sighed. "It's not that I don't enjoy what I do, but lately..."

"You're like a wild thing," Caval said to her, his gaze never moving from her, though hers darted to him and away again like a bird. "You need to be ever moving, ever changing. What you've been doing these past weeks does not quell your desire to explore."

"You somehow know me better than I know myself," Blayre laughed, her mood lifting considerably.

"I'm just observant," Caval smiled, raising his glass in mock toast. She clinked her glass against his and took a sip.

After a pause he said, "I don't think you've had enough to drink, but would you be willing to enter the next dance with me?"

"Well..." she nearly glanced toward Rorrick, but looked for Briannon instead, finding the Queen standing on the outskirts of the dance floor, as though ready to take flight. "I suppose I could accept." Though she knew once she had entered the dance floor, if Rorrick approached her, she couldn't decline.

Caval's hand as warm and dry in contrast to her own which was clammy, and not just from the lightly humid summer air. He pulled her out to the dance floor, where she took in her surroundings, relieved to find that Briannon had entered the dance floor herself. She didn't feel as self conscious of Duke Lonan with the Queen out here.

Blayre's job was to blend in. And blend in she would.

Not being a very good dancer, Blayre found that until she found her rhythm, keeping her sense steadily reaching for possible magic use was more difficult than usual - not impossible, or draining in anyway, but certainly a challenge. In crowds she had been trained to use it as more of a net. Project it out and over, as though you are trying to catch as many fish as possible. Be sure to spread evenly. She recited the words of her mentor in her head, as Caval spun her around, her diaphanous skirt twirling around her like a whirlpool. The song was fun and upbeat and soon Blayre had found a balance between her consciousness and dancing. The pace was too fast to allow for much talking.

She knew that Rory was watching her as she danced. She could feel his ocean gaze on her, even as he danced with his own partner - Alessa she realized. Apparently they were still keeping up pretenses.

The music ended, leaving Blayre flushed and breathless.

"How did you manage to get my sister on to the dance floor?" Seaver and Ainslee were just entering the floor, the petite redhead's delicate hand held in her brother's own.

Caval grinned. Though he was replying to Seaver, he was looking at Blayre, "I'm honestly not sure. There was far less resistance than the first time I asked her."

"Sometimes I like to have fun." Blayre replied in a mock-pout.

The music began to play again - a softer, more gentle musical number, meant for slower dancing. Seaver wiggled his eyebrows and lead Ainslee more toward the center of the dance floor.

"One more at least?" Caval asked her, hopefully. "There was a small matter I wanted to discuss." He added, as if afraid she might say no.

"Well I need no further convincing then," Blayre murmured. "Though I may step on your feet during this one."

"My toes are still recovering from our previous dance," Caval said with a smirk, as he seamlessly swung her into the next dance.

"So, this 'small matter'..." Blayre prompted.

"Ah, yes. I have been approved to travel to mountainvale with you."

"Well that's excellent news. Except I have not officially been assigned." She scrunched up her nose.

"Why wouldn't you be? This has been your triad's investigation from the start." Caval pointed out.

Blayre tried not to look toward Duke Lonan. "I'm afraid that some are beginning to think I'm more useful as a protector rather than a seeker."

Caval followed her gaze to where Duke Lonan danced with a young noblewoman. "I see," The sorcerer pursed his lips as they sidled to the left. "Well, I will put in word. I understood that this was your investigation though. I wouldn't worry too much." He assured her. "Just remember who you serve."

And for whatever reason, his word was a reassurance, and smoothed her frayed nerves.

The dance ended, and Blayre and Caval had decided to make their way back to the refreshments table. She hadn't made it off the floor before a large hand grasped her upper arm.

"I believe I was promised a dance."

Blayre's breath lodged itself in her throat as Rorrick looked down at her, his face flushed from dancing. Raven-haired Alessa stood next to him, a vulpine grin on her face.

Caval flourished a bow, "She is all yours, your Grace."

Rorrick laughed, "I know by now that she belongs to no one, but herself."

Caval grinned and then the blasted man left her there with Rory, disappearing into the crowd, perhaps to find a new dance partner.

"Excuse me, I'm famished." Alessa said dramatically, gliding away toward a refreshment table. Blayre's gaze lingered on her friend.

"Well, shall we?" Rorrick inquired, offering a hand.

Blayre only nodded as she grasped his hand. She tunneled her vision straight ahead, but could not stop the cold sense of dread that settled over her when she should have been feeling warm and gleeful. But she knew Duke Lonan was watching.

Twelve hells, she could both keep her sense alert and dance with Rorrick. Especially with Briannon still on the dance floor. "Remember who you serve." She served the royal family. And it wasn't Duke Lonan's job to decide how she was to do that. She couldn't follow Briannon around all the time, and doubted that would be very effectual anyway.

Blayre realized belatedly that Rory had cleared his throat to attract her attention.

"Hm?" Was all she managed as she concentrated on not stepping on him. Stepping on Caval was one thing - but the heir to the Crown? Well, she supposed neither cared much if they were willing to take the risk.

"I said, you're a bit distracted tonight. A lot weighing on your mind, lass?"

Just your late Uncle's best friend ordering me around and watching me like some bird of prey. Or better yet a vulture. She wondered why she had even given Lonan the benefit of being compared to one of the beautiful hawks they kept in the mews.

"Crowds just tend to make me nervous," She answered instead. "It makes it difficult to er... do my job."

"Ah, I see," He spun her in a twirl that took her away from him and then back even closer, her backside pressed against his front. His breath was right in her ear now and she could feel the stares and hear the hushed murmurs of the people around them. Gossiping. Passing judgement. Attention that she did not want.

She had imagined dancing with Rorrick to be romantic, but if anything it was tortuous. A hundred jealous eyes were trained on her as a hundred jealous whispers filled the hall. She would take private archery matches in little used outbuildings over dances at coronation balls any day. It wasn't that Rory changed when he was in the public eye. It was just that with such a high profile, he couldn't escape the attention of court and the public.

After a lifetime and a career of trying to be mostly inconspicuous, it was difficult to get used to. In fact, she wasn't sure that she ever could.

It was all too much. Blayre suddenly felt incredibly overwhelmed, as they passed closer and closer to Briannon. The crowd was thicker here, with everyone trying to get close to the queen, many of the men hoping they could exchange partners for a chance to dance with her. Blayre had selected an outfit that she could move easily in, but she may as well have been wearing a corset for all the ability she had to breathe.

The dance ended and Blayre nearly stumbled, trying to get away from the crowd. Briannon had already left the floor, and was making her way to a table of refreshments, where Duke Lonan held out a goblet of some sparkling liquid to her.

"Are you...?" Rory was looking concerned, gripping her arm as he pulled her toward the same refreshment table where Briannon now stood in conversation. Duke Lonan beside her and members of her personal guard evenly distributed.

"Something is wrong." Blayre said flatly, her nose had begun to itch.

Rory was looking around for some sort of danger, but Blayre knew very well that the threat - if it was one - was unseen.

Breathe. Assess. This was neither Conal's or Caval's magic that she was sensing. She opened herself to it, as Rory continued to drag her across the floor. Belatedly she realized they were getting further and further from Briannon.

With her channel wide open, she suddenly felt the overwhelming pulse of magic as it washed over them in a burst of power and multicolored light.   

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

12.6K 462 25
18+ Loosely based on Romeo and Juliet set in a magical fae world. Two powerful families have ruled over the the dark and light fae for thousands of y...
21.7K 3.5K 73
FEATURED ON WATTPAD'S OFFICIAL FANTASY, ROMANCE, MAGIC, STORIES UNDISCOVERED AND SPECULATATIVE FICTION PROFILES. "Rose run!" A voice yelled from all...
1.1M 65.9K 101
When beauty meets her beast-a modern retelling of a classic story with one major twist...this story isn't for sweet little girls. 'Keep the Blarcum...
34.3K 2.6K 34
2023 December Book of the Month @CupidOnTour @WattpadSeries General Fiction Feature JUNE 2023 @HistoricalFiction 'Rise of Civilization' Reading List...