The Sun, The Moon and The Oce...

By nicolerobinsaan

♡ranked #8 in selflove (omgomgomg) ♡ Escaping her distasteful home in the outback, Sophia Rollins seeks to st... More

author's note :)
extras
chapter one
chapter two
chapter four
chapter five
chapter six
chapter seven
chapter eight
chapter nine
chapter ten
chapter eleven
chapter twelve
chapter thirteen
chapter fourteen
chapter fifteen
chapter sixteen
chapter seventeen
thank you so much!
HUGE ANNOUNCMENT
HELP AUSTRALIA

chapter three

1.3K 45 7
By nicolerobinsaan

● above is a snapshot of Sydney, Cooper's gorgeous pup, one day at the beach●

THE NEXT WEEK consisted of early morning shifts at the Shack, afternoons of painting strangers (which was so much more enjoyable than I had thought), awkward texts from my parents, and sideways glances from Noah when we would pass as we exchanged shifts. Despite messages from my mother that often read "Hope you're doing well," and "Penny says hello, you should call her sometime," my week was going pretty good. 

I'd pass by Cooper when I came home; although, he didn't know I was there of course. Or at least knew that it was me. One night, I found him trying to unlock his door and I was able to study him for awhile. He was so cute, I had concluded. His skin was just so sun kissed, a beautiful golden brown. His hair was so messy and so adorable. 

I was beginning to think I was developing a crush.

But I denied it right away, I only talked to the guy once. I didn't know his story and he didn't know mine. Not to mention he was blind, so that was a disadvantage. 

So when I worked tables, I tried to refrain myself from thinking about him. Instead I focused on getting my orders right, not spilling on anyone and putting on my best face to raise that money to pay my first bill. 

However, it was difficult to keep Cooper off my mind when he walked in and sat down at a table next to the window one afternoon. My racing heart slowed down when I saw one of my coworkers, Amanda, waltz up to his table to take his order. I was glad the responsibility wasn't mine to wait his table. I continued with my other customers, serving up creamy shrimp alfredo, steak and potatoes, etc.

I bursted through the double doors to the kitchen, ready to grab a couple orders. I balanced a plate in each of my hands, then one on each of my forearms. I was pulling a balancing act, it was beginning to become natural after just a month of waitressing. I collected myself and began to take soft but quick steps. 

Amanda stopped me in my tracks, opening the doors before I could. "Hand me those, I'll take them," she chirped, holding out her hands for me to transfer the plates into her arms.

I furrowed my eyebrows in question and only gave her the two in my palms. "I could've taken them there myself, you know," I assured. "I'm starting to get the hang out it, plus they only go to the tables in front of the kitchen."

"I know," Amanda affirmed as she adjusted the dishes onto her own hands. "Table 14 has specifically requested you."

My brain rescanned the diagram I was given when I was in training three weeks ago that displayed every table on the main floor, I was in search of table fourteen. 

And to my dismay, it was indeed Cooper's table.

I softly groaned, I couldn't understand why I was so unwilling to go talk to him. He struck a chord in me that I wasn't used to hearing. 

"You know him or something?" Amanda inquired, taking the last two plates off my forearms and onto hers. I cleared my throat, "Um, barely. I've only talked to him once."

She cooed. "Somebody's got a admirer!"

I rolled my eyes and smiled sarcastically towards her. She giggled and span around and out the doors she went. I adjusted my bun and twirled pieces of hair down to my face, brushed down my apron and stood tall. 

What the heck was I doing? Cooper was blind and he wouldn't be able to notice my small efforts of trying to look good.

I grunted once more and strut onto the main floor towards Cooper's direction.

"Hey, Cooper," I chimed. "Noah's shift hasn't started yet, you're a bit early." I assumed he was here to see Noah because the thought of him intentionally coming here to see me just wasn't reality to me. Cooper smirked, his head staying looking straight ahead and not upward to me. I was an awkward stance of his I would have to get used to.

"Might be a surprise to you, but my world doesn't revolve around that bloke," He replied, the smile still on his cute face. I gave a small giggle. 

He intertwined his fingers together in his lap and progressed, "Actually, I'm here for a juicy tri-tip melt on white bread," I whipped out my notepad and scribbled, "with fries on the side and a Pepsi please." I finished writing his order and asked if he wanted anything else to which he declined. 

"I'm also here to kill time," Cooper chimed. "My dog, Sydney, is getting groomed at the shop around the block."

I immediately got excited at the thought of a dog. "Aw," I sang. "I love dogs! What kind of dog is she?" Cooper's voice became deeper and serious, "A service dog." And for some reason, I felt incredibly guilty for asking such a question even though thats not what I meant.

However, Cooper's laugh broke the small stillness between us. "Oh, I'm sorry!" He chuckled. "I didn't mean to make you feel that bad." He sighed lightly as his laughter faded off. I tried to laugh it off as well, but it was pretty hard; I really hoped I hadn't offended him. "She's a goldie. Golden Retriever. Been with me for three years now, she's such a charm to be around."

"Well, thats sweet." I commented, placing a fork and a knife wrapped in a black napkin on his table. "It's been forever since I've had a dog. My last one passed away at the end of my sophomore year of high school," my heart saddened at the memory of my great dane, Rocky. He was a good piece in my life, with all the boy issues I was having at the time. Rocky was the only good boy I knew. 

Cooper nodded, "That reminds me of the real reason I'm here." I raised an eyebrow in question.

"I'm here to collect you."

My confused face grew more immense. "I'm sorry, you're what?" I inquired, forcing a small scoff. "Yes," Cooper proceeded. "I was going to invite you to dinner after your shift was over, isn't that in an hour or so?"

I twisted my head over my shoulder to inspect the large clock on the wall, he was right. It was four o'clock and I got off at five. As I turned to face him again, I became even more puzzled that he knew my shift schedule. Then again, he could have gathered information from Noah's agenda. 

But what was Cooper suggesting? A date? I blushed at the thought.

"Noah's sister, Addison, is returning from university for about a week. Noah and I thought it would be a good thing for her if she had some more girls in her life," Cooper explained, which only delivered more bizarre thoughts into my brain. "Plus," he turned towards my frame, "You're still quite new here, you could use some new friends."

Ouch, that was kind of offensive. But he was accurate. The only friend I made was Amanda and we barely talked as it was. Maybe it would be a good idea to get to know more people. 

Before I could speak, Cooper began again, "So it's my duty to get you off work and back to the apartment by 5:15." 

I wasn't planning to go paint at the beach today so I was free for the rest of the evening but my nerves were causing me to be hesitant. However, I knew I didn't want my runaway from home to turn into a lonely failure, so I made a decision.

"I'd love to," I smiled and Cooper smiled back. "I'll go get that sandwich started for you," I turned around with my head held high but my chest feeling low.

The walk back to the complex with Cooper was comfortably silent, surprisingly. We were both quiet with the exception of small giggles at Sydney's wagging tail. We had stopped by the groomers place after I finished my shift and as soon as that dog got out the door and saw Cooper, she galloped to him and gave him plenty of licks and love. Immediately I could tell that Cooper wasn't so tense after he had put the leash on her, with Sydney walking by his side. I had to let her sniff me for a few moments before I could pet her, but she was very friendly.

We arrived at the complex and entered the elevator. I was just about to reach over and tap the glowing number "5" but Cooper did it himself which I was impressed with, he really understood his surroundings. My mind began to wonder once again, about how he became blind. Was he born with it? Did he develop it? Is it just darkness or is it all blurry?

The beep of the elevator signaling the two of us that it was time to get off interrupted my thoughts. I never knew when the right time, or if there would even be a right time, to ask these questions. 

Sydney led Cooper, about two steps in front of him, out of the little box with me trailing behind. It felt odd to walk past my own apartment for once. For the past month, that had been my little hovel. I never did anything fun besides work and paint.

Cooper and Noah's apartment was almost the same as when I first stepped foot in it expect the kitchen counters were covered with various appetizers and dishes. Behind the stove was Noah himself, in a white tank top and dark jeans. His biceps were in full swing, I had seen it all. And he was still a model no matter what he wore.

Noah's head cocked toward Cooper and I who had just walked in. "Hey gu-"

He stopped himself as his eyes laid on me.

Noah cleared his throat, "Uh, Coop. I thought we said this was only a close relative thing?" I figured out Noah didn't want me here and that made me embarrassed but also guilty of ruining a night that was for exclusive members only. What had Cooper dragged me into?

Cooper wagged his index finger back and forth, "No, no. You said that this was only a close relative thing. I have the right to invite someone too, you know."

So this was Cooper's idea. He wanted me here, that made my cheeks turn rosy. Why me? Noah's knuckles turned white as he gripped the spatula in his left hand, he did not like Cooper's remark. I still didn't comprehend what his problem was with me. The past week he's been giving me the stink eye when we would exchange glances during work. I couldn't remember any wrong I had done, unless he was still salty about my snapping at him when he spilled all over me. In my defense, I was in the right for that. 

The tension between the three of us, well maybe except Cooper, who was grinning in victory over at Noah who gave him a bored look in return was broken when a girl my age appeared from the hallway. I assumed it was Addison, Noah's sister like Cooper told me at the Shack. She had a bounce in her step and a soft smile relaxed on her face. Addison was very similar to her brother in her facial features. Her eyes were a crystal blue and her face was freckled. Dark skin and a built body. Nothing like mine, I had chub all over my body. I began to feel envious.

Addison dressed in white daisy dukes and a pink tank top with a messy ponytail atop her head. Her nails shined with a newly french tip and bold red lipstick on her plump lips. She was drop dead gorgeous, again much like her brother.

"Hi there!" She chirped as her gaze landed on me. Her long legs journeyed a B line in my direction and stretched her hand out to me. "I'm Addison, you must be Sophia!"

I smiled and slapped my hand into hers, "Yes, nice to meet you." 

"Thank God you're here. I was worried I'd have to spend my whole week off with these two blokes," Addison laughed. Cooper chuckled and took Sydney off her leash and she wagged her tail to a designated bed in the living room. 

After grabbing some chips and dip like the hungry girl I was, Addison, or Addie as she insisted I called her from now on, explained to me her happenings over at university. She was studying psychology and hoped to be a leader of couple therapy sessions one day. She described her favorite classes to me, how annoying her professor in her sociology class was. She told me about how intricate the human brain was and rambled on about how such tiny things can make the biggest impression on our character. Her stories and explanations captivated me and provoked my thoughts. Addison sounded very intelligent and her face lit up when she talked about her studies, something I admired. 

I wondered if I continued with my very own studies my face would glow the same way.

Noah perked in shortly after Addie embarked on the odd Sigmund Frued. "Yeah, yeah. You sound like a scholar, Addie." His eyes became dark and serious. "How about your party life?"

Addison shot back a glare toward her older brother. "Sophia doesn't need to know that side of my life in the first five minutes she meets me." Cooper cackled in his love chair, "Yeah but you need to drown her in Psych 101 material in the first five minutes she meets you." Addison held back a smile and chucked a small pillow in his direction, to which he unpredictably caught. This probably wasn't new to Cooper.

"But my brother is sadly correct," Addison sighed. "I may love my academic but that does not stop me from having a good time! Yeah, it might be true that I party like three times a week but at least I'm living life. You can't always have your panties in a knot, you have to let loose." 

For some reason, that statement made me respect Addison immensely. I wish I had realized that sooner, maybe I should have stayed in university but not have been so uptight about my family's approval. I started to grow disappointed in myself but tried my best to not show it on my face. 

"Speaking of letting loose," Cooper began. "I think we could all use a fun day. Especially Sophia."

My face turned crimson as everyone's gaze averted to me.

"All she's seen of this city is the Shack, this one beach and this shitty apartment," He chuckled. "Tomorrow we're all going on adventure, but mostly Sophia is. It's a date."

--------

AUTHOR'S NOTE

its a late Tuesday night but hey, its still Tuesday. this isn't the most exciting chapter but it is necessary. I'm so excited for next week's chapter! it's going to be so good and captivating I can't wait for you guys to see it. thanks for sticking around!

remember to comment and vote! i love hearing feedback almost as much as I love my readers! see you Tuesday :)

-♡ nicole robinson

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

276K 16.3K 35
She's a disgraced socialite; he's a rodeo star on the rise. When they're forced to fake a relationship, what happens when the sparks feel a little to...
3.3K 821 42
A 90's Friday Night Lights meets Fifty Shades, only the town is the sadomasochist and the two young lovers their pawns. July Elizabeth Edwards is stu...
203K 5.4K 36
《UNDER A MAJOR EDITING》 Sophia Miami lives loving herself as a bisexual, but never found herself in relationship. She forgotten everything about he...
Amor By kaitlyn

Teen Fiction

514K 11.7K 60
Sophia looks like a simple and sweet girl on the outside, but on the inside she's a bit of a mess. Donovan is a confident and observant guy who has n...