Merthur - The Blue Butterfly

By CreamyXD

Beautiful cover made by FangirlLikeYouMeanIt! :D When Uther Pendragon finally tracks down the rogue dragonlor... More

Prologue: The Death of a Dragonlord
Chapter 1 - Not Alone
Chapter 2 - The Light of Truth
Chapter 3 - The Prince and the Warlock
Chapter 4 - Pinky Promise
Chapter 5 - Just a Tiny Bit in Love
Chapter 6 - A Few Whispered Words
Chapter 7 - A Flower for Your Thoughts
Chapter 8 - The First Assignment
Chapter 10 - Behind Locked Doors
Chapter 11 - The Blue Butterfly
Chapter 12 - Lost and Found
Chapter 13 - The Warlock, The Witch, and the Wardrobe
Chapter 14 - Letting Go
Chapter 15 - The Tears of Arthur Pendragon
Chapter 16 - Forget-Me-Not
Epilogue - We'll Always Come Home

Chapter 9 - Trust in Yourself

9.8K 614 544
By CreamyXD

A/N - I'm back everyone! Thank you for being patient and I hope you'll enjoy this new chapter! Or maybe you won't. The end to this chapter is a little... well I'll let you find out on your own. ;D

-----

"Absolutely not!" Uther shouts, his voice echoing across the chamber as he paces along the length of the room, eyes refusing to meet that of his son's. "How many times have I told you before that sorcerers are dangerous. They do nothing but cause death and destruction. The longer we leave those Druids unchecked the more likely they will strike."

Arthur keeps his head down throughout the entire speech, not knowing when would be the best time for him to interject with his thoughts. He silently wishes Morgana were here now. She had always been braver than him when facing the king.

"Now, do I make myself clear?" Uther says sternly, standing right in front of the prince with stern eyes.

"But father there-"

"I said do I make myself clear?" he repeats the words, his tone even colder than before.

Arthur says nothing, only keeps his head down as he shifts from foot to foot nervously.

Uther heaves a sigh, turning his back to him as he shakes his head. "I suppose I was being too hasty. I thought you were ready but..." he turns back around, sending the prince a disappointed look, "clearly I was wrong."

The prince stiffens at the words, the hurt spreading through his body as he stares into his father's eyes. "No, I'm sorry father. I-I can do it."

"Can you?"

"Yes, I can. I'll resolve this issue."

The king's stare is still cold as he regards his son. With a quick look up and down he sighs, giving in. "Do not disappoint me again."

-----

Arthur stands by the grate, staring down at the boy in the cell who reads happily without a care in the world. A blue light brightens the room, allowing him to see that there's a smile on the warlock's face and if the prince listens closely he swears he can hear Merlin humming softly to himself. The tune makes him feel warm inside, makes his problems melt away, but with a flash of golden eyes he remembers exactly what troubles him. Magic. It always comes down to magic in this kingdom doesn't it?

Arthur crouches down beside the grate, staring at the peaceful scene. He looks around himself, seeing the room covered in a layer of darkness. How strange it is that now he was the one stuck in that never-ending abyss. He looks back down into the grate then smiles as he calls out, "How are you doing today?"

Merlin looks up and almost instantly his expression lights up. He bounds towards the bottom of the grate, the excitement clearly evident in the light spring in his step, but the happiness fades suddenly when he gets a closer look at the prince's face. "What's wrong?" he asks, concern laced into each word, "Did something happen?"

The prince is taken aback. When did Merlin learn how to read him so well? "Nothing, just tired."

Merlin frowns, his lips pursed as he stares up at the prince, his expression clear that he didn't believe him. "I highly doubt that."

Arthur sighs, but feels a slight smile tugging at the corner of his lips, happy to know that the boy cares for him so much. "I'm... confused," he begins, staring down at the floor, "My father gave me my first assignment. My first real assignment."

"That's great! Shouldn't you be happy about that?"

Arthur runs a hand through his hair, fidgeting with a few of the strands as he chooses his next words. "I know - I was - but... what he's asking is too much for me to handle."

"Too much for the great Arthur?" Merlin asks with a mocking tone, "What sort of task could get such an arrogant prat to admit he can't do it."

Arthur cracks a small smile. "Oh, shut up and listen would you? I haven't finished."

"Sorry, sorry," Merlin says with a grin, "go on."

The prince takes another deep breath. This next part is going to be a sensitive topic. "My orders are to destroy a... a druid camp in the Forest of Ascetir. And- and I don't know what to do."

Merlin's smile drops, his shoulders tensing slightly as he thinks back to what happened to his own mother and father. Innocent lives. Gone. All gone in a few short moments because of a single man's hatred. He doesn't want something like that to happen again. Never. "You can't do it," he says, voice a little desperate, "you can't go. You can't let anyone go!"

Arthur hides his face, not wanting to face the warlock. "But my father-"

"Arthur, you can't do this! I know he's your father, but..." he stops for a moment, trying to choose his words carefully, "but you have to learn when to do things for yourself. To do the things that you think is right. I know you and I know you would never do this. Not willingly. I-I don't want to see something like that happen ever again. And I especially don't want to know that it's happening because of you."

The prince is silent for a moment, hearing the hurt in the warlock's words as he ponders the questions in his mind. He understands what Merlin is saying. Of course he does. But can he really defy his father? Does he really have that courage? "What if... what would you do if I did follow my father's orders?"

Merlin is quiet for a long time. There isn't a sound. Nothing but the sound of his own heart beating in his chest as he waits for Merlin's answer. But as the silence stretches on he realizes he doesn't need an answer. He already knows what it is. He wouldn't be forgiven. Even if their relationship remained there would always be that hint of distrust hanging over them and that was something he never wanted to happen.

Still, despite the consequences could he really do it? Going against his father is something he never even dreamed of doing before. Yet, he knows what his father's doing is wrong. It's just all wrong. "Do you think I can do it? My father... what if he-" he doesn't finish his sentence. Instead he falls back into silence.

"You need to make your own choices. You can't keep listening to your father forever. He isn't always right."

"You don't get it Merlin I don't want to disappoint him! This is my first assignment as a knight! This is the first one I'll ever lead if I fail now he'll never trust me again!"

The warlock goes silent. Unable to say anything more.

Arthur sighs, rubbing at his temples in frustration. He gets to his feet, turning around and heading towards the hall without another word, but just before he shuts the door he hears Merlin say quietly, "I trust you, Arthur. Morgana trusts you. Gwen trusts you. And I hope that one day you can trust yourself too because you have the heart of a great king. I hope you won't betray it."

Arthur's grip tightens on the handle before he finally shuts the door behind him.

-----

After a long day of pondering the prince rides out in the lead the next morning with his men behind him as they make their way past the gates of the castle. He risks a quick look back, catching a glimpse of his father and Morgana standing by the steps. His father stares at him proudly, a wide smile on his face as he watches his son head off on his first assignment. Morgana too has a smile on her face, though its slightly strained as the worry seeps through the mask. Arthur sends them both a wave before heading through the town and into the forest, readying himself for the task ahead.

It's a few days worth of travelling before they are close enough to see the smoke rising above the Druid camp in the distance. Arthur raises a hand, stopping his men in their tracks. "We'll make camp here. I don't want to get too close. We'll wait until we have the cover of nightfall before we attack. For now, I want you all to rest."

The men nod before dispersing, heading out on various tasks as they set up camp. Arthur leaps off his horse, tying it down to a nearby tree before helping out with a few of the odd tasks. When a reasonable amount of time has past and most of his men have settled down Arthur turns and head towards the forest.

"Where are you headed sire?" One of his knights ask.

"A walk. I want to clear my head before the raid. I need to be prepared," he replies.

"Are you sure you don't someone to come with you? The Druids are close. What if they spot you?" The knight looks at him with concern.

"I'll be fine, besides I want some time alone."

"Yes, sire."

He trudges through the forest in the opposite direction of the Druid's location. When he deems that he's far enough away he makes a wide circle around the knight's camp, making his way towards the Druids. He'll make sure this raid never happens. He'll trust in himself.

When he first enters the Druid camp he finds the area eerily quiet. There's no one around. Nothing but the signs that someone has recently been here. "Hello?" Arthur calls, his voice echoing across the clearing. "Is anyone there?"

There's no reply, but the quiet rustle from the foliage nearby tells him that people are here.

"I am Arthur Pendragon," he says, voice booming across the clearing. "Prince of Camelot. And I have come here with a warning."

A kindly looking man appears from behind one of the trees. His hair is white and curly, appearing to stick up in odd places. He wears a long, green cloak that trails behind him as he approaches. From what Arthur can tell. This man is the leader.

"And why would a Pendragon warn us?" he asks, weary, and Arthur doesn't blame him.

"I may be my father's son, but I do not believe in his ways. None of you have done Camelot any harm and I don't believe any of you ever will. Please, leave this place now before nightfall."

The man regards him with a peculiar gaze before glancing up behind him and noticing the smoke rising in the distance from a nearby campfire. He smiles warmly at him before nodding. "I see. I believe you, Pendragon."

Arthur looks up, eyes filled with relief. "Thank you."

The man walks forward, stretching a hand out. "No, I should be the one thanking you. The name's Iseldir and-"

Before he can finish his sentence there's a loud cry from deep within the trees. The thundering of hooves and the shouts from men ring out along the forest's edge as knights dressed in red flood out of the woods like a torrent.

The men, women, and children in the camp scream as the knights thunder past. They run in all directions, some ducking for cover behind the rocks while others attempt to fight back. Iseldir can only stare in horror as the men charge him, weapons at the ready while menacing snarls adorn their faces.

Meanwhile, Arthur can only stare as chaos ensues around him. The sound of hooves and screams fill his ears. The scent of fire and smoke permeate through the forest. A shiver runs down his spine as he watches men cut down the druids, slashing and stabbing into them as though they were nothing more than simple animals. He tries to raise his voice. Tries to stop them but his voice won't come. He can't move. He can't speak. All he can do is stare.

As the screams echo around him he feels disappointment weighing down in his chest. He's ashamed of himself. Ashamed that he can't do anything. Ashamed that while the innocent die around him all he can do is freeze. He's powerless. He should have known that he couldn't save them.

He looks again at the scene around him, finding bodies strewn across the dirt, Druids crawling in pain as they attempt to escape. While he looks on he starts to wonder whether this is what Merlin saw as a child. Whether this was what had happened to his village as well. All of it just seems so wrong. How could anyone do such a thing? How could he so such a thing? Merlin has placed his trust in him. He may have failed to save him from that cell, but he won't fail him now. He'll protect these people.

The prince holds his head up high as he strides forward. He walks towards the centre of the camp, yelling at any knight near him to stop as he steps up onto the well in the centre. With a deep breath he shouts across the ridge with all his might. "I order you all to stop!"

His voice echoes across the forest, it's imposing tone sending a cold shiver down the spines of all the knights. They freeze in place, some in mid swing and others in mid charge as they turn to stare at the boy - no the man - who stands above them all, eyes filled with untold fury. "Drop your weapons!"

The men hesitate at first, looking between one another before setting their swords down.

Arthur glares at each and every man, his eyes narrowed as he pulls his sword from his belt and points it at the nearest man. "I thought I had ordered you all to stay at the camp! Why did you all come here?"

No one answers, instead they all shift uncomfortably in place.

"Answer me!"

"It was a direct order sire," one of the knights say, an elder man with a beard and greying hair.

"A direct order?! From who?"

The man shifts slightly, straightening his back and holding his chin up high as he smirks at the young prince. "From the king himself."

Arthur eyes flare with anger, the fire strong enough to melt even the strongest of metal. "When we are out in the field I expect my men to listen to my orders. Do I make myself clear?"

The knight sneers at the prince. "The orders of our lord take precedent over the orders of his son," the man says before a devilish grin appears on his face. "Besides, I heard, Arthur, that you and your father had a sort of... falling out recently. You see, he ordered me to come keep an eye on you. Make sure you were doing your job properly, but don't worry lad. I won't tell your father."

Arthur approaches the man, his knights parting around him as he moves closer towards this man who had the audacity to disobey him. Who thought that he had power over a prince. 

The knight though stands with his arms crossed over his chest, a smug smile on his face as he looks down on the boy that approaches him, still picturing him as that naive prince who plays at being a king. But, as the prince approaches, he finds himself growing uneasy. He shifts in his spot, starting to back away. He feels himself growing smaller, shrinking and shrinking as the prince appears to grow in height above him. By the time Arthur has stopped in front of him, he finds himself cowering at the sight of the man towering over him.

"Tell him," the prince hisses between gritted teeth, "I no longer care what that man thinks, but if anyone here defies my orders again I will ensure that it is your head on the chopping block tomorrow and I expect those who have yet to earn my respect not to refer to me with such familiarity."

The prince turns his back on his knights, returning to the Druids side as he helps put out the fires that still continue to burn. He hears the knights behind him start to leave, clearing out of the forest and most likely heading back to Camelot without him. A few though stay behind, choosing to help the Druids as best they can and the sight makes him smile. But still he dreads the moment he'll have to confront the king yet despite his fears he's for once happy with the decision he's made. He's saved lives and that's all that matters.

"My lord," Iseldir says, coming up behind him with a warm smile, "I want to thank you again for all your help. Many people's lives have been saved because of you."

"Just Arthur is fine and no," Arthur says with a shake of his head, "I wasn't able to prevent the bloodshed. I apologize for what has been done to your people."

Iseldir rests a hand on the prince's shoulder, "Now don't be too harsh on yourself. You have saved the lives of all of us here." He waves a hand across the camp, gesturing to all the men, women, and children around him. "We owe you all our lives."

Arthur smiles, looking around and seeing some of the relieved smiles on the faces of a few families. "Thank you."

The Druid smiles, patting him on the back once more. "You have the heart of a great king, Arthur. If you ever need anything we will be happy to serve you."

A chuckle escapes the prince's lips at the familiar words. "I've heard someone call me that before."

"Well, it's the truth. When you become king we'll be the first to return to Camelot. I hope when that time comes you'll welcome us back home with open arms."

Arthur grins, "Of course. Any citizen is welcome here. Be it Druid or sorcerer. I will bring this kingdom back to its former glory."

------

"You are a disappointment to this kingdom!" Uther shouts as he slams his fist on the table, making the wine inside the pitcher ripple at the force. "I gave you one simple task. One order. And your men return to tell me that you have disobeyed my command."

Arthur clenches his fists behind his back, hoping his father can't see the slight shaking of his shoulders as he boils over with anger. "I did not disobey you," Arthur states through gritted teeth, "The Druids have left Camelot. That was the order. I did what I was told."

"Has your mentor taught you nothing?! Sorcerers are deceivers. They feed on lies and treachery and you come here to inform me that you allowed them to live?"

"Gaius had no influence over my decision. I found that it was unnecessary to kill them. They were willing to leave when asked. I don't see the problem."

"Unnecessary!? This is for the good of Camelot and you have the gall to tell me this was unnecessary?"

Arthur has to force himself to stay calm, but still his fingers twitch towards the weapon at his side. "And you would call the sacrifice of dozens of men, women, and-" he scoffs at the very thought, "-children to be for the good of Camelot?"

"If it's necessary I would sacrifice the lives of a hundred children to free this kingdom from magic. And it is necessary."

"Necessary?" He growls just before grabbing the pitcher of wine and hurtling it towards the throne, narrowly missing his father. "So, is locking a child in a bloody cell for all his life something you also find necessary?!"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

36.3K 1.4K 15
COMPLETE: Exiled from Camelot in the aftermath of a life changing attack, Merlin has spent the last year in hiding, tortured by an instinct he couldn...
109K 4.5K 7
What will Arthur do to save his manservant from a curse? Will Arthur finally realize how he feels about Merlin? How can a simple tradition turn deadl...
115K 5K 29
What if Merlin and Hunith did run away with Balinor, never to return to see the face of Uther Pendragon again? Merlin, age 10, is stumbling throughou...
260K 14.1K 31
Credit for the amazing cover goes to EdamameBean on Wattpad! Merthur AU (Still set in the same time period) After the Great Purge, led by Uther Pendr...