Luciano | Book I ✓

Bởi taintedkissesxo

[BOOK ONE] [Completed] [Voted #1 Best Action Story in the 2019 Fiction Awards] Liam Luciano is one of the mos... Xem Thêm

Before We Begin
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six (Part 1)
Epilogue

Chapter Forty-Six (Part 2)

341K 12K 96K
Bởi taintedkissesxo

a/n: THIS IS IT AHUIFEDAUHAUBGUSBUSDLIFNAI

• READ PART 1 IF YOU HAVE NOT YET •

- - -

When I woke up from my nap, I was utterly confused on my location, I had no idea what time of the day it was, nor what day of the week it was. It took about ten minutes for me to situate myself and remind myself of all the lost information. As for the time, I didn't need to look at the clock to realize that it was now night.

Like I've been doing for nearly the past week and a half, I got up and locked up downstairs. I cleaned the little mess I had made downstairs and moved on to the kitchen, putting the dishes away before grabbing a glass of water and a few grapes I had purchased from the trip I made to the Walmart earlier this week. I took note that my appetite just wasn't nearly the same since I've been home and I blamed that on the stress and worry.

Flipping off the light in the kitchen, I sauntered back into the living room and gathered my belongings. I held the blanket to my chest and clutched my phone in my hands as I struggled up the steps, praying I didn't trip on the part of the blanket that was sweeping the floor. I glanced twice at my phone, frowning when I realized that I had zero notifications.

I groaned and plopped down on my bed. Without giving it too much thought, I pressed Liam's number and put the phone to my ear. My eyes drifted over to the digital clock that was on my nightstand and my eyes widened at the time: 9:24PM.

My thoughts drifted in two different directions as the call continued to go through. A part of me was annoyed that Zara had yet to call back, but it was likely that sweet little Rosalie had simply forgotten to relay the message. The other part of me was quickly planning out my last "parent-free" night; I was going to take a shower, probably grab a small bowl of cereal, and watch a movie.

"Faith?"

I dropped the phone and stared at it at the sound of my name.

There aren't enough words in the English language to describe how I felt at the sound of that voice. I got chills, but I felt a warm feeling surge through me – was that happiness?

I lifted the phone to my ear slowly, my eyes closing as I rested it against my ear and sighed. I didn't have to answer Liam for him to know I was there. With a shaky breath, I pulled myself up on the bed and laid down, trapping the phone between my ear and the softest pillow I owned.

The only reason I spoke up was because I wanted to hear his voice again. There were a lot of things I wanted to say to him, but there were only two words that came to my mind. "You're out?"

I went to repeat myself, worried that he hadn't heard me the first time. Eventually, he did respond and I noted how he matched the soft tone of my voice. It was soothing, comforting.

"I've been out for a few days."

I shot up so fast at that my vision went black. I closed my eyes and evened my breathing, "A few days?" I didn't believe I had heard him correctly but when he mumbled a 'mhm', I knew I had. "Why haven't you called me? Why didn't Rosie tell me this then?"

"Nobody knew," His voice was strained and he spoke in a hushed tone, as if he was trying to keep someone else from hearing him. I could picture him running a hand through his hair as he sighed into the phone. He answered my question before I had to ask, "There were a few things that needed to be taken care of and I wanted to do that before I came back home, before I came back to you."

My mind was spinning with theories, questions, concerns, but I voiced none. "How did you get out? How come I didn't see anything about it on T.V? What was it like? I have so many questions."

His chuckle brought a smile to my face, "I want to answer them all, but I think it would be best if I do it in person."

I roll over on my back, my attention locking on to a crack in my ceiling. "My parents come home tomorrow," I whisper, "You should fly in sometime later this week and see them." My heart fluttered at the thought of seeing him, "...and see me," I conveniently add.

"I can't."

"Why not?" Sadness seeped into my voice and I was certain he heard it.

"It's because I---" the doorbell rang at that exact moment and I groaned. It cut Liam's sentence off and I rolled out of bed, muttering an apology.

"Sorry, that was the door."

"You should probably get that, I'll hold."

He fell silent as I bounded down the steps, turning lights on around the house as I went. I stopped about five feet from the door and pressed the phone to my ear again, whispering. "Wait, what if someone is coming to abduct me?"

There was some shuffling coming from his end of the line, but he let out a forced laugh, "Abduction? Who even does that these days?"

We both shared a laugh, I more than him. Once the laugh subsided, I heard the doorbell ring again and I sighed. "It's probably just the new neighbors." I sidled up to the door and looked out the peep hole, mentally cursing myself for my stupidity because the porch lights weren't even on. I leaned my back against the door and spoke quickly into the phone, "Apparently they moved here in July and they treat me like the newbie."

Liam's laugh was gentle and polite, but I could tell something else was occupying him.

Shrugging, I flipped on the porch lights and pulled open the front door, eyeing my guest through the thin, transparent screen door. My hand released the doorknob and I took a step back.

Liam stood on my porch, his phone in one hand and Mr. Stuffykins in the other.

He pockets the phone and holds the teddy bear up to his cheek, shooting me a gorgeous smile. "You forgot something in L.A."

I let out a breath but I didn't move towards him. I didn't have time to stop the tears from falling down my face as my attention drifted between the bear and the man holding the bear. I started walking towards them, nodding, agreeing with Liam's statement as I unlocked the screen door and stepped out into the cool, night air.

There were a bunch of things I could've said in the moment, but I was rendered speechless. I didn't realize I was crying until Liam lifted a hand, using his thumb to brush away the tears that were rolling down my face. His hand ran down my neck and massaged my shoulder for a second, before drifting down my arm. I felt him grab my hand, lacing his fingers through mine as he pulled me close, a slow, soothing smile pulling his lips apart.

"I can't come out and visit you," He pressed his forehead against mine and sighed in content, "because I'm already here."

I let out a forced breath, one that could've been taken as a laugh. The palm of his hand found my cheek and I leaned into it, appreciating the warmth that radiated off his skin. There was truly no other placed I'd rather be and in the enjoyment of the moment, I closed my eyes. I heard the sound of something falling near my feet and when I opened my eyes, I realized it was the teddy bear. My lips parted and I was in the middle of expressing my disappointment in Liam's mishandling of the stuffed animal when his left hand tilted my chin upwards and pressed his lips against mine for a kiss.

It was slow, it was sweet, and it was everything I had ever dreamed of. His lips moved at a slow, steady pace, as if he was trying to communicate every unsaid thought he's had about us in one kiss. It was like he was apologizing for everything that I've gone through, from the moment I met him to where we stand today. We only parted from the kiss because I had started laughing, forcing another smile to cross Liam's face.

My hand hit his chest as I pointed to the bear on the ground, "You can't treat Mr. Stuffykins like that," I lean towards him and lower my voice, "I'm disappointed in you. Rico wouldn't like that."

Liam let out a laugh and bent down, snagging the bear up with one hand. "He'll get over it." His lips met mine for a quick peck before he nods to his right, indicating my house. "Let's get inside."

I didn't actually notice the suitcase he had brought along until he bent down and lifted it, nodding to me to lead the way. I snatched the teddy bear from his grasp and held it to my chest, smiling as I pulled the door open and led the way.

He was silent as I closed the door behind him and to break the silence, I let out a breath. "It probably isn't what you're used too—"

"It's cute," He partially turned his body to me, the corner of his lip uplifting in a half smile. I could tell he was scanning the first floor of the house, taking in the less than stellar living room, entry to the kitchen, and hallway that led to the two French doors in the back, leading to the backyard.

My eyes widened at the thought, the grass was probably tall as hell.

"Why do you look like you've seen a ghost?"

I snap out of it and give him the wink and the gun, "You mean Rico?"

He rolls his eyes dramatically, adding a fake laugh as I pass by him. "Hah, good one."

"No, I was just thinking," I drop to the sofa and pat the section beside me, offering it up to him. He walks over slowly, giving me time to give him a good once over. His face was clean of any facial hair and he looked young, cute. Last I remembered, the hair atop his head was long so between the time he left and reappeared, I had to assume he got a haircut. He sits down and angles his body towards mine. My lips open and I was about to finish my thought, voicing my concerns about the state of the home when another thought hit me. "—have you heard anything about Dominic?"

He lets out a sigh, one filled with frustration and suppressed anger, "That's actually one of the things I wanted to talk to you about."

I felt my stomach drop and tighten at those few words.

My stomach was doing flips as Liam cleared his throat and leaned forward a bit, resting a palm on my kneecap. His eyes fall to my thigh as his thumb brushes against my skin. I watch as his eyebrows crease together and the look on his face resembles one of someone in deep thought.

My mind immediately went to the worse possibly scenario and just as I was about to cry, Liam looked up, locked gazes with me and sighed once more.

"Dom's fine."

That wasn't enough for me.

"Fine?" I lean forward, resting my palm on top of his hand, squeezing gingerly. "Fine as in he's with his wife fine or fine as in he's going to make a 110 percent recovery and come back as good as new?"

Once again, my stomach dropped when Liam turned away from me, visibly emotional. I felt his hand slide away from mine, slowly watching as he lifted it to his face. He turned away from me, raking his hands through his fingers and hiding his face in his hands. He kept his voice soft, afraid that if he got any louder I would hear it crack.

"Fine," Liam turns his head towards me, still using his hands at a make-shift pillow. "He's going to make a 110 percent recovery."

I let out the breath I was holding, said a quick thank you prayer, and looked back to Liam. "Then why do you look like someone just ran over your 2 month old puppy?"

"Because," His voice was strained and silently, I watched as his eyes clouded over with emotion. "I almost lost someone that I consider a brother, someone that I've worked beside for what feels like forever." Liam turns away, his attention falling on the front door. "His heart stopped twice."

I bit my lip and leaned forward once more, scooting closer to him as I did so. My hand intertwined with his as I rested my head on his shoulder and waited for him to continue.

"—and I'm blessed to know that the doctors brought him back but," He shrugs carelessly, my head bobbing along with his shoulder. The pause Liam takes between words was enough to force me to pull back and get a good look at his face. Either of his eyes dart between mine before he finishes with, "But did he really want to stay?"

The question that had been posed was a loaded one. I was beyond relieved to learn that Dominic was alright, that he would be alright but the question that Liam left dangling in the air was a good one. It was a question only Dominic Santiago could answer, but I couldn't envision Liam asking it. I, too, would be afraid of the truthful answer I knew the curly haired man would give; an answer that neither one of us would like, but one we would certainly understand.

I wasn't sure how many minutes passed as we got comfortable on the sofa, neither one of us talking. His presence was enough. We leaned back and he threw his arm over my shoulder, pulling me close. My head slid from his shoulder to his chest as he slouched down a little, resting his head back to close his eyes momentarily. I did the same, silently enjoying the feel of his chest moving up and down in rhythm.

"I was in this room for an entire night," I lifted my head briefly at the sound of Liam talking, but all I could feel was his hand on the back of my head, gently pushing me back towards him. My cheek made contact with his chest and I stayed that way; my eyes closed, my breathing even as I listened to him start from the beginning. "Handcuffed and chained to a metal chair and table; one guard too my right, another to my left, guarding the door.

"The room was cold and they did it on purpose," Liam continues, "Not warm enough to get comfortable, but just cold enough to keep you awake." There was a period of silence, one that I figured Liam used to get the rest of his thoughts together. "In the morning, this man came in and just sat down and laid out the facts, he said he knew I didn't pull the trigger, but that I knew who did."

I felt a lump grow in the back of my throat.

Luciano didn't stop, "I was facing life in prison or a reduced sentence if I could provide them with the name of the person who pulled the trigger."

I didn't say a word; I couldn't even if I wanted too. My heart was beating against my chest and I was positive Liam could feel it.

When he didn't continue, I decided it was time to speak up. "What did you do?"

His answer didn't immediately follow and I frowned at that. I let out a sigh as I felt his hand rest on the back of my neck, his fingers playing with the baby hair at the base of it. He started to talk a few times, but advised against it and closed his mouth, his lips smacking together in annoyance at his lack of words. While I waited for his reply, I let my hand water past his thigh, tugging at a few strands of the denim string that hung loose around his knee; the purposely torn jeans were a popular style.

"I kept my mouth shut," Liam shifts beneath me, forcing me to readjust my position. "The investigator said Omertà, I nodded and said Omertà, then he sent for them to bring the evidence they had on me."

During his explanation, I had lifted my head and twisted my body entirely around, now laying on my back. I let my head rest on his lap, folded my hands, and watched him as he continued. I took note that he rarely looked down at me, but he kept his eyes uplifted to an object in the foreign room that he sat in.

Suddenly he paused like a frozen DVD and I did all but sit up and shake him. His tongue ran over his lips once he moved again, then he looked down, but this time, he didn't hide the tears in his eyes. "I was so sure that I was going to jail for the rest of my life and I was dreading the phone call I was going to have to make to Rosalie." Liam slouched further in his seat and he rested his head back, hiding his expression from me. He paused once again before continuing, "Michael always told me that whatever you do, you remain loyal because one day, your loyalty will be repaid."

"What ended up happening?"

"They came back with no evidence," Liam let out an unbelieving laugh, as if he was still trying to process the information. I sat up a little bit at the news. "They had no evidence; no video, no police report, nothing. Not a single sheet of paper, not even a sticky note.

"My lawyer arrived 15 minutes later and demanded they release me since they had nothing on me," I let out a sigh and fell back to his lap, listening intently, "And they did, they let me go."

I nodded as best I could from my position on his lap, "That explains why there was nothing on T.V."

"Sometime next week they're going to issue a public letter of apology to me and my family," I smile and close my eyes as his fingers brush along my cheek, pushing a strand of stray hair from off my face. "But their department will never outright admit how they misplaced evidence."

I feel myself yawn and I scramble to cover my mouth as I do so. I shrug my shoulders a bit and roll onto my shoulder, pressing closer to his abdomen area. He was warm. A period of silence follows before I talk again.

"They didn't misplace evidence, did they?"

I didn't need to ask the question to know the answer, but I did so anyways.

"Of course they didn't," His voice sounded far away and I wasn't sure whether that was because I was sleepy or because he was whispering. I let out another sigh as I felt Liam's hand run down my arm, "You should sleep," I heard him say, "You're tired. But there's more I want to talk to you about tomorrow, okay?"

"Okay."

Silence, then.

"Liam?"

"Hm?"

"It was Rico, wasn't it?"

My eyelids drew heavy as I snuggled closer to him, preparing to sleep better than I have for over a week. Once again, I found myself asking a question I already knew the answer too. Yet, it was still satisfying to hear the answer.

"Yeah," His palm glides down my back, slipping beneath the hem of my shirt and running back up my bare back. I shivered at the cool air that rushed between my shirt and skin when my shirt was lifted, but no matter what portion of my back his hand touched, I felt warm. "It was him."

I exhaled, absolutely content with that answer. For just a peaceful moment, all I could hear were the crickets chirping outside. A car or two drove by my house, their headlights briefly flashing through the closed blinds, lighting up the back of my eyelids. I felt Liam's lips against my forehead as I moved beneath him, opening my eyes just a bit.

"Rico's an---"

"—angel? Sex god? Badass? Olaf stan?"

I went from laying down to falling to the floor in record time. At the foreign voice, Liam jumped, forcing himself upright while I was flung to the floor. I heard him mutter a, "Oh shit," as he reached for me, helping me up and quietly asking if I was okay. I would've answered if I wasn't gaping at the man that stood just a few feet from the back of my sofa.

Federico stood in the middle of my house; a McDonald's happy meal in one hand and a chicken nugget in the other.

I slap a hand over my heart and lean into Liam's shoulder, forcing a breath out of my lips in order to regain all lost composure. My heart was racing as I shot a playful glare at him.

"No," I roll my eyes, "I was thinking more like idiot."

I nearly burst out laughing when he mouths, "I hate you too," back to me.

We fall silent as Federico slowly spins in a circle, allowing his hood to fall off his head. His neck was craned backwards as he took in the house he stood in. I wasn't about to question exactly how he got into my house, but I did want to remind myself that I needed far better security.

I turn to Liam for a split second, the expression on my face was enough to ask the question without words. What the hell is he doing here? Liam's response was simple enough; a shrug.

"Rico, what exactly are you doing here? I figured you would be halfway around the world by now."

Rico answers my question a second later. He finishes spinning around in his second circle before reaching in and grabbing another nugget. He bites into it with vigor and I let out a laugh as he shrugs and speaks with his mouth full.

"Well," He swallows and waves his hand, indicating my house, "I guess my plane took a wrong turn—" Rico stops and I'm assuming it's because of the unbelieving looks that had crossed both Liam and I's faces. Luciano was smiling before I did, but my lips spread as Federico took another bite of his chicken nugget.

I had been there when Rico cried. I was there when he was in full business mode and I was there for when he was in a joking mood, but the true 22 year old came to light in a moment I would never forget. I felt Liam pull me closer as we watched Rico lift another nugget to his lips, but the meat merely brushed against them before his arms went limp, letting both the box and piece of chicken hang by his sad.

"Your plane didn't make a wrong turn, did it Rico?"

Federico shakes his head at Liam's question. He drops his gaze to the floor and visibly sighs, finally muttering the truth.

"I'm just not ready to say goodbye."

- - - -

I couldn't have woken up to a prettier view. I had never been able to wake up to a sunrise in Hawaii and I had never been able to see a beautiful sunset along the skyline of New York as I lay in bed, but I was able to admit that I had been able to wake up next to Liam Luciano.

He was awake as he lay on his back, a hand tucked behind his head underneath the pillow I had provided him for the night. From my view, I see him working his jaw, his eyes locked on the drab colored ceiling of my bedroom. I kept as quiet as I could, limiting any unnecessary movement so that I didn't disturb him. His chest moved up and down with every breath, giving me a reason to stare at his bare abdomen that was basked in the morning light.

"What would you say if I told you that I was stepping down as CEO of my company?" Liam's tongue runs over his upper lip as his head lazily rolls left, facing me.

"Well," I let out a breath, slowly trying to find the right sentence to piece together as I stared up at his brown eyes. "I would probably ask why first, then I would ask who would take over. Unless...you'd sell it?"

Liam shrugs as best as he can before turning away from me, returning to his previous position staring up at the ceiling. "I never said this a lot, but Michael was right. I can't run a company where I'm required to be in the spotlight and then run a business that most of the population doesn't know about."

I lift an eyebrow as Liam rolls on his side and angles to face me once more.

"I'm not selling it, but my mom is going to take over as the CEO. She went to school for business and will probably be taking a few more business type classes part-time as she transitions."

I smile softly, nodding. "I think that would make a good fit," His smile mirrors mine as I lift a hand to his face, my fingers barely brushing against his skin as I trace his hairline.

"I think so too," my fingers had just finished tracing his jawline when he reached up, gingerly grasping my hand and taking it in his. He was quiet as he pressed the palm of my hand into the mattress and gently rested his on top. His palm was larger, his fingers slimmer, and in general, his hand made mine look abnormally small. "But with Zara being so invested in the company and with me using most of my time to run the family, there's nobody to watch—"

I heard a scream; an ear-piercing, eardrum rattling, glass shattering scream and there was only one person I know that could hit a note like that. Although Liam was right in the middle of his sentence, I scrambled to my knees and pushed him in his chest, watching as he fell back. I hopped off the bed.

In my excitement, I could only utter two words, "You didn't!"

The smile on Liam's face was burned into the back of my mind as I ran out the room, straightening out my pajamas. I let my hair out of the messy bun it had been thrown up in and I took advantage of the 15 seconds it took to race from my bedroom to downstairs. My hand ran through it, taming it briefly. I hopped off the last step and turned, my smile only widening as Rosalie came into view.

Rico - who had crashed on the couch - and Rosalie were attached by the hands, both of them jumping up and down in happiness.

Rosie looked happy, Federico look annoyed.

"Uncle Rico! I missed you!" Rosie continued squealing, chanting, 'I missed you,' over and over again.

"I missed you too, can I stop jumping now?"

Rico was mid-hop when I butted in, pushing him out the way and bending down, pulling Rosalie into a warm hug. I heard a muffled groan as he flopped back down on the sofa face first and resumed the sleeping position he had before he had opened the door for Rosie.

"I missed you too, Ms. Faith!"

"I missed you too, Rosie," I pull her away, resting my hands on her shoulders as I take in her cute self. She had recently gotten herself a haircut, trimming what length she once had. Her new bangs covered her entire forehead, just shy of her getting in her eyes whenever she blinked. I was in the middle of complimenting her hair when she rushed away from me in the direction of the steps.

"Liam!" She hopped up on him, mostly relying on his ability to catch her rather than her jumping skills. Her legs wrapped themselves around his waist and Liam lifted her the remainder of the way. Rosalie's arms found their way around his neck and for just a moment, they hugged. Then using her momentum, she swings her leg over his shoulder and twists herself appropriately, positioning herself up on his shoulders. Now from behind, she leaned down and clung to his neck, situating herself for a piggy-back ride.

He grabs on to her ankles for extra support as she rests on top of his shoulders and he smiles, tilting his head just a bit to the right to catch his little sister out the corner of his eye. "I missed you, Rosie." The little girl merely squeals as another sound captures the attention of most of us.

Zara steps in through the open door, allowing a stream of morning light to rush in with her. I shiver, suddenly feeling cold thanks to the cool breeze that had followed her inside. Her lips were upturned the moment her eyes landed on her son and they were bright, full of happiness, and beautifully accented by the dark mascara that layered her long eyelashes.

I let out a laugh and turned to Liam, only to see him shrug at the sight of my smile. "Did you bring everyone?" I let out a joyous laugh as Zara and I cleared the distance between us, bringing each other in for a friendly hug. She held me tight, as if we hadn't seen each other in years rather than a week and a few days.

Rico killed the moment. He rested on his stomach, his head dangling just a bit off the edge of the sofa. His voice was low, his words coming out like a mumble, but they were audible.

"Not everyone."

I shot Liam a look over my shoulder, indirectly asking a question I had been meaning to ask since I had been told Dominic would be okay.

Does Federico know?

Liam's response was a quick left to right movement of his head, telling me everything I needed to know.

Nope.

I'm sad to report that the day went by quickly. Once Zara got in and settled, Liam and I had returned to my room to change, shower, and fully prep ourselves for the rest of the day. Breakfast was made and we all chatted, listening to Liam explain his story once again, all while Federico sat behind him, a full blown grin plastering his youthful face. Laughs and smiles were shared, stories were spread, and the future was being talked about.

A few times I had anticipated Liam to continue to talk about what he had been explaining earlier before the doorbell cut him off, but he never elaborated. I caught him alone long enough to ask about it, in which he replied, "We'll talk later."

Around 4 in the afternoon, my parents came home.

Federico and Rosalie were out back, both of them being thoroughly entertained by the less than stellar sandbox and the rusty set of swings I had out back. There were more twigs and rocks in the box than sand but they had been out there for a good hour and I had yet to hear a complaint.

Zara had found her way into the kitchen, where I learned that she loved to spend her free time.

And Liam and I had just begun to settle down when the lock on the door began to turn.

I actually felt excited when my mother and father entered the living room with what felt like a million and one suitcases. Their smiles were radiant as they dropped all their newly acquired vacation memorabilia and ran over to me. My mother, Susan, reached me first and she wrapped her arms around my neck and pulled me in for a vicious, breath-taking hug. The second she let go, my father tugged me towards him and did the same.

My mother made our reuniting hug shorter because she spoke up, "Uh, Faith?"

I turned around, already anticipating what she was going to say.

"He..." She drifts a finger over Liam's frame. He stood by the sofa, a hand in the pocket of his jeans. The smile on his face resembled someone who was shy, uncertain, and certainly feeling out of place. I could feel my father giving me a look from behind me.

"Mom, that's Liam, Liam, this is mom."

She gives me a skeptical look before stepping forward and extending her hand. He does the same and out of a custom that he must he used to, Liam lifts the back of her hand to his lips. He shoots her the same devilish smile I had seen a hundred times, yet, one I would never get tired of.

Liam's chuckle is deep as he allows her hand to slip from his. "Hi, mom."

Like a typical flattered woman, my mom does all but blush. "You can just call me Susan, or Mrs. Crawford, Sweetheart." Both Liam and I laugh.

My mom steps back, nodding to my father to introduce himself also. As Liam and my dad shook hands, I felt my mother's shoulder brush up against mine. "Where did you meet him?"

My lips fell open and after a moment's hesitation, I realized I had no answer. After a lengthy silence, I realized the question was simply a rhetorical one. My eyes fell back to Liam, to my father, Ian, and their handshake. Their hands were still attached, moving slowly up and down as their mouths moved.

"—Faith," I was torn from my trance as Ian looked over his shoulder, lifting an eyebrow in the process, "Where did you happen to meet a CEO?"

"Ex-CEO."

My father winced and I only assumed it was because of the pressure Liam had suddenly squeezed his hand with. Ian turned away from me, his question long forgotten as I watched Liam begin to explain what he had started to this morning. "What would you say if I told you I was stepping down as CEO to my company?"

My mom let out a content sigh as she looked around the house, smiling and nodding at how clean it was. "The house looks ama—"

"Uncle Rico, stop!" A scream came from nearby, but it wasn't one of fear or distress, but more-so happiness. Rosalie came flying into the foyer, cutting off my conversation with my mother and my father's conversation with Liam. Her breathing was heavy as she screeched the words a few times before rushing over to Liam. She didn't ask, she simply jumped at him and prayed he caught her.

He did.

Her legs wrapped around his waist and he eased her up. She maneuvered her way around his upper body and once again, found herself sitting atop his shoulders, her legs hanging down either side of his face. Rosie leaned down, wrapped her arms around Liam's neck, and pressed a kiss to his temple just as Federico came rushing in.

My mother leaned into my shoulder almost immediately, "Where did you find these men?"

I had to admit, both Liam and Rico looked good, despite their different taste in clothing. Liam, on most occasions, wore formfitting clothing. He wore pants that sat decently on his hips and shirts that typically went with suit jackets, ties, and bowties. Liam lacked the dress pants today, but he still supported a white dress shirt; one with a few buttons undone around the collar and the sleeves rolled up on his arms. I had learned very early on that Rico didn't care for fancy clothing; he didn't seem to like dress shirts or dress pants, but would rather torn jeans and a comfortable hoodie. Today, he wore a pair of jeans with a hole or two around his knees, accompanied by a plan black t-shirt and vans.

Two different men, two different styles, yet, they both still looked good.

I leaned into my mother's ear, "America, but I hear there's a few like them floating around in Italy."

My mother laughed, "Looks like we need to take a girl's trip to Italy."

"Mom, you're married."

She puts a finger to her lips and says nothing more.

"Is that your daughter?" I tuned in just as Ian popped the question to Liam.

Liam shook his head no.

Rosalie nodded her head yes.

She tugged on Liam's neck, slightly choking him as she leans forward, eyeing my dad. "This is my daddy."

"Rosie, please," Liam coughs and unwraps her arms from around him. She lets out a sigh as he bends down, giving the little girl time to slip off his back and stand on firm ground. Rosalie huffs and turns back to my father.

"I'm his sister," She extends her hand, the back of her hand up and she waits.

And she waits...

And she continues to wait, all while Ian stares at the back of her hand in confusion.

Federico coughed into his fist, turning away from the group slightly. I still heard what he muttered. "Preppy bitc—" He was playing, but I still glared at him. When he lifted his eyes and caught my stare, he mouthed, "Female dog."

Liam extends an arm, shoving Rosalie just enough for her to get the hint. Her smile never wavers as she rotates her hand into a normal handshaking position. Ian gives Liam and my mom a look, before extending his hand and shaking hers.

The rest of the introductions didn't take long. Even Zara peaked her head out of the kitchen to greet my parents, properly introducing herself as Liam's mom. Almost immediately, Susan and Zara clicked. I don't know whether it was because of the topic of men or cooking, but the two rushed off into the kitchen, chatting, laughing, and planning some snacks for the good sized crowd we had here.

Ian and Liam slowly walked to the side, both of them using the wall to lean on as they conversed. I couldn't determine the topic they were speaking about, but Liam looked relaxed and far from irritated.

Rosie and Rico had positioned themselves on the sofa; with Federico sprawled out on his back and Rosalie hopping up and sitting on his stomach, they couldn't have looked any more comfortable. I watched her scroll through about three channels before turning to me. "Can we play Mario Karts?"

And two hours later, I found ourselves doing just that. I excused myself from my current racing match with Rico and stood up observing just how many people had joined our little party. I recognized a few cousins, aunts, and uncles who had dropped by to say hello to my parents. I let out a laugh as I heard mostly female voices in the kitchen, along with sizzling, the sound of slicing and dicing, and genuine laughter.

I made my way into the kitchen without Rico even noticing I had passed the wheel off to a waiting Rosalie. The laughter got louder and the feminine chatter hit my ears the moment I leaned a head in, a smile on my face. "You all are quite loud in here."

"We're talking about sex, dear, why wouldn't we be loud?"

Whoever said that got quite a few giggles in response.

I stepped in and gave a couple aunts and cousins a few hugs before glancing at the fruit platter that had been set up. I spotted freshly cut apples with peanut butter, carrots with ranch dip, and raw broccoli. I snatched a piece of an apple and made my way to the exit.

"Oh! Faith!" I knew it was Zara before I turned around, "Give this to Liam for me please. He asked for it like twenty minutes ago and I've been in here running my mouth." She handed me a glass full of water and smiled before slowly being swallowed back into the crowd of women, many of them asking questions that revolved around her insanely good looking son.

Making it over to Liam was a struggle all in itself. In just two hours the crowd had grown by four, easily. I heard a lot of, "Hey Faith!" as I walked by and politely, I gave everyone a smile and a one armed hug, careful not to spill the water before it got to its destination.

I found Liam near the stairwell, surrounded by uncles and my father. Deep laughter echoed from this side of the room but they all fell silent as I approached, as if I was walking into a high school clique that didn't want me to hear what they were talking about. I heard a few greetings as I stood beside Liam and handed him his drink.

"Thank you," He smile and tilted the refreshing drink to his lips, "Tell my mom she was twenty-five minutes late on the water." Liam shot me a wink and I turned around, my eyes falling to the empty, seemingly abandoned sofa.

I knocked my hand back, hitting Liam on his thigh. "Where did Rosie and Rico go?"

"Outside or something, he said she wanted to play on the swings."

I spun around, thanked him, and angled my body in the direction of the doors but the sound of the doorbell cut my journey short.

"Faith!" I saw the head of my mother peak out from around the corner, a cloth in her hand. "Can you grab that?" Her voice was barely audible above all the chatter but I nodded in response and made a beeline towards the door, opening it.

I thought it was another cousin, another uncle, aunt, or family friend; I was wrong.

The head that supported the dark curly hair lifted and I had never been more blessed to be in the presence of an angel. Dominic's eyes were dull and bags hung low beneath them but I was thankful he was standing before me; there was no crutch, no wheelchair, no medical aid of any type; just him. His smile, however, spoke wonders.

"He—"

He didn't even have time to greet me, I let out a screech of happiness and I practically tackled him in a hug. My arms went around his neck, throwing him off balance as I pushed forward, causing him to stumble back. I felt a hand on my shoulder and I eased up almost immediately, remembering his condition.

Liam stood behind me, gently using his hand to push me forward. He stepped out the house and politely closed the door, despite the odd stares we were receiving from family members. Dominic let out a laugh as the two sidestepped me, quietly pulling each other in a brotherly embrace.

"I didn't think you were coming," Liam's shoulder brushed against mine as they returned to their original stance.

"The doctor didn't advise it," Dom shrugged and looked to me, his lips curling into a smile briefly. "But I wasn't about to turn this down. I'm okay," He stepped back and pointed to his body in a general wave of his hand. "Just be careful of up here," He rests a hand on his chest and grimaces.

"Noted."

Liam smiled, "As happy as we are to see you in one piece, I think there's someone inside who'll be even happier to see you."

Dominic smiled, not needing a name to know who it was. He took a step forward, but in beautiful coordination, Liam and I pressed ourselves together even more, not allowing Dom to step between us. His smile falters.

"But," Luciano's voice was stern, "You need to tell him." He slips the same envelope I had hidden in my pocket a week before and hands in to him, a look of seriousness crossing either of their faces. "No day is promised, he deserves to know. You know this."

The proof that Dominic and Federico were brothers was a thin piece of paper that had resided inside this envelope for too long. Liam was right; no day in our life is promised, especially when you lead a life as thrilling and dangerous as the ones they do.

Dom seemed hesitant, but he took the letter anyway and nodded in agreement. We told him where Federico was and held the door open for him, watching as he slowly – and I mean slowly – stepped inside.

The minute he did that, I grabbed hold of Liam's hand and pulled him towards the steps, thankful that he followed without any question. We got a few questionable stares as we headed up towards the bedrooms alone, but neither of us paid attention. Instead of turning into my room, I took a right down the hallway, leading both of to a window at the end of it; a window that had the most perfect view of the backyard.

I heard a very loud, high pitched scream come from downstairs and I figured it was Zara having seen Dominic. In the ten minutes it took for Dominic to appear outside, I had opened the window, both of us leaning down and sighing in anticipation. Rosie was sitting on the swing and Federico sat beside her on his, both of them using their legs to gain momentum. But at the sight of Dominic, the little girl screamed, scrambled out of her chair, and raced towards him.

Her hug didn't do as much damage as mine, but even from here we could hear him hiss. Liam let out a chuckle from beside me.

"Sweetheart, do you mind if I talk to Uncle Rico for a minute?"

"Sure!" She jogged out of view, unaware of Dominic staring at her as she left.

My gaze drifted back over to Rico, who stared at the back of Dom's head. The second Dominic turned back, Rico looked down at the phone that rested harmlessly in his lap. By now he had stopped swinging, but with his feet on the ground, he slowly pushed himself backwards and pulled himself forward. I didn't realize I was holding my breath until Dominic sat down beside his brother and let out a sigh.

At first, Dom's voice was soft but it grew in volume as he spoke. "March 17th, 1991 a Dominic James Santiago was born to racially mixed couple in Miami, Florida. On December 24th, 1992, Grayson Justin Chandler was born to the same family. I got our father's last name, you got our moms." He let out a breath and turned away from Rico.

Federico noticed and this time, he turned towards Dominic, his expression unreadable. I could've sworn his eyebrows twitched.

"Anthony Santiago," Dominic cleared his throat before breaking out in a wide smile and turning to his brother, "And guess what our mothers name is."

Rico shrugged.

"Gracelyn Chandler."

That earned a hearty laugh from both of them, breaking the undeniable tension and uncertainty. I broke out in a fit of laughter and I heard Liam muffle his from beside me. A full blown smile was on both of our faces as we pressed ourselves closer to the window, watching and listening intently.

Federico stood as his laughter died down. A smile was on Dom's face as the younger man turned around to face him. "I guess we know who her favorite is." The comment got a few more chuckles from all of us before it fell silent.

"But there's more," He sounded like one of those companies that you've never heard of before on T.V. who are desperately trying to sell their product. Dom hands Rico the envelope that he had clutched in his hand and waits, using one leg to push the swing he sat on. A second or two passes as Federico skims the official document, using his finger as a guide.

Rico looks up when Dominic doesn't continue.

"There's another sibling."

He was silent for a while before nodding slowly, his words coming out even slower. "Boy or girl?"

Dominic takes the document back, pocketing it as he answers Rico's question, "I'm led to believe it's another brother."

"How old?"

"Younger than you," the response is timely, proving that Dom had indeed done his homework. "But I don't have a name, I don't even have a state we can pin his birthplace too." The two fall quiet as they silently contemplate the news. "I want to find them, our parents." Dominic shrugs, "I really do."

"Not yet."

"Why not?"

"Because," From here, you could see Rico's jaw clench. He turns away from Dom, shaking his head all the while. "Not yet." Two simple words that didn't need any more explanation. Dominic's shoulders fall.

"Well," He clears his throat, "What do you think?"

The frown that had previously crossed Federico's face was now replaced with a bright smile. As Dominic pulls himself to his feet, Rico pushes him in the shoulder slightly. "I think I'm the better looking brother."

Dom mirrors the smile, "And I know you're not."

Their laughter floated all the way up to the window Liam and I eavesdropped from. We pulled our heads away from the window as Federico mumbled a question regarding the events that unfolded in the foyer of Peter Corinelli's home. I couldn't tell whether he asked about the events that led up to the gunshot or what unfolded afterwards, but either way, he kept his voice low. The two walked side by side towards the house, finally disappearing inside.

I let out a satisfied breath as I angled my body away from the window, resting my back against the wall that had been to my right. My eyebrows furrowed as my gaze resided on Liam, who sat directly in front of me, his own back pressed up against the wall. We both had our legs pulled up to our chests, our arms wrapping or laying casually around our knees.

We were quiet for a good minute before Liam stood to his feet and extended a hand to me. He lifted me with ease, wrapping his arm around my shoulder as we headed back towards the stairs. I spoke first.

"Their parents had three boys; one with leadership abilities, one with insane all-around talent, and the other with what?" I glanced up at Liam, my question floating in the air around us as it waited to get answered. Liam pursed his lips, giving the question some thought.

"Well, Dominic does have leadership qualities and Rico certainly is in a league of his own in regard to talent and all-around abilities," He shrugs carelessly, "All I know, is if they really do have another brother and he's as talented as either of them, then I better guard my—"

"Liam!" Zara popped her head around the corner, still holding on to the railing that lined the stairs. She looked apologetic as Liam leaned down, leaving a whisper of a kiss atop my head. "Sorry if I'm interrupting something but the girls' want to see a picture of Michael," She clears her throat, the name striking up more memories than she would've liked, "I told them you would probably one."

He responds politely and grabs my hand as we trail Zara down the steps. The second we hit the first floor, Liam and I parted, walking separate ways, but not before he pulled me in for a quick hug. He had to speak over the noise of the small crowd, despite his lips being right next to my ear.

"We'll talk later, I promise."

I smiled at that. There was a lot I felt like I hadn't been able to hear, a lot I hadn't been able to say. My smile grew as I watched him hold out his forearm for Zara, allowing them to lock arms as he led her towards the kitchen. My gaze drifted from the two of them to the household in general; to the group of family members that stood in small groups, all conversing loudly and appearing to be having a good time.

Smiles lit up everyone's faces but none could compare to mine as my eyes finally landed on the sofa. Dom leaned against the armrest of the sofa, his ankles crossed as he focused on the race that was playing out before him. Even from here I could make out Princess Peach as she rumbled down Rainbow Road, avoiding every obstacle and trap there was. Rosalie clutched her controller and shifted her body left or right, all depending on which direction she twisted her remote.

I didn't have the heart to tell her that her body movements didn't determine the movement of her game character.

"Fuck!" Federico stood to his feet within milliseconds, his anger visible. I stifled a laugh at the sight of his character still freefalling towards earth. The animation on screen set his selected player on fire before resetting him to a dead stop in the middle of Rainbow Road.

Not just a few, but almost all heads turned towards Rico at his outburst. I bit my lip, cursing beneath my breath. Around here, curse words aren't so easily thrown around like they were in Federico's little world. I took a step forward, prepared to apologize in his behalf when Rosalie spoke up for me.

Noting her uncle's language, she paused the game, grabbed his forearm, and turned around to address the party-goers. "Sorry about his language, we're still training him."

Dominic and I's sudden laughter was easily drowned out by the hollering of laughter that followed. Tears blurred my vision as I backed myself into a corner of the room, content with watching everyone else converse, laugh, smile, and create memories. My attention darted between family members, the game currently being played on the Wii, and the entrance of the kitchen – where Liam would occasionally peak his head out and mouth, "save me," before being pulled back in again for more conversation.

It was smooth sailing until I caught unusual movement out the corner of my eye. I could've played it off as something you seen every day; someone answering a phone call, but I didn't. Rico passed his controller off to Dominic as he pressed a phone to his ear. I watched intently as he put a finger in his opposite ear, trying desperately to drown out the loud chatter.

He muttered something into the phone and made a beeline towards the door, keeping the phone pressed against his thigh to limit the noise factor for the person on the other end of the line. Rico shot a quick glance towards the kitchen, then over his shoulder at Rosalie and Dominic. He even began looking around the room in general, looking for someone; that someone, I assumed, being me. We never made eye contact but that didn't stop him; he flung open the door and disappeared outside.

I waited all of two seconds before I followed him. The sun was low in the sky and last time I had checked the time, we were closing in on seven o'clock. A cool, late evening breeze blew around me as I pulled the door closed and quickly examined our driveway. Many of the cars had parked alongside the curb, leaving our personal driveway to my family's vehicle.

Federico had his back to me, his head bent as he spoke in a hushed voice. A wave of emotion hit me as he turned around, his head lifting and his hazel eyes registering someone else's presence. I placed one foot in front of the other as I stepped off the cement landing. His attention was trained on me as he wrapped up his phone call.

"—just send me the file and I'll look over it on the plane." Rico's expression was neutral, his lips only curving in a smile when I sent him one of my own. He lifted a finger and stepped away from me, quietly wrapping up his conversation before returning to me.

He was still walking back to me when I crossed my arms over my chest in the form of a one-person hug. "I tried calling you yesterday, it said something about your phone being disconnected..."

"Burner," Federico replies simply with a nod of his head. He shakes his new phone for me to see, noting the latest version iPhone in his hand. "Every six months we replace phones, change numbers, all that fun stuff."

"That is a burner?" I nod at the sleek device in his hand, laughing to myself, "I thought burners were supposed to be crappy, plastic pre-paid phones." Rico smiles softly and I continue, "Besides, isn't changing your number every six months kind of a hassle?"

"In a way, I'm just glad I'm not Vince."

"Why?"

"He has one true cellphone and I don't even have the number to it," Rico laughs to himself and turns away from me, walking towards the end of the driveway. I follow. "And on average, he has at least four or five burners on him at all times."

I laugh softly, but not meaningfully. Federico turns around quickly, forcing me to stop walking and look up. His hands slide into the pockets of his jeans as he pulls his bottom lip into his mouth, contemplating his next few words. My head tilts to the side as he his eyes close.

"I have a question," He finally states.

"I may just have an answer for you."

"If you had met me first," His eyes open, "Would things have been different?"

He didn't have to elaborate for me to know what he was talking about. If I had met him before Liam, would things have been different between us? Between Rico and I?

My lips parted but the only thing that came out of my mouth was a statement of my own, one that had nothing to do with his question.

"You could stay," I take a step forward, pleading, "You don't have to go."

He laughs; I'm not sure if it was at my statement or my oblivious deflection of his question. His eyes flutter to something above my head and I turn around at that, only to notice Rosalie at the screen door. She slapped a palm on the glass, a muffled shout coming from behind the thin door.

"Uncle Rico! Our game!"

I couldn't identify who, but two hands clamped down on either of her shoulders before pulling her away from the door and out of sight.

"This is your home, Faith," when I face him, he's waving a hand towards my house. "This, Liam, L.A, it's all you, not me."

I felt my shoulders slump and my mood dampen at the truth. A masculine shout came from behind me and I stepped to the side. Liam and Dominic had made their way outside. Luciano bounded down the steps but at the sight of his injured friend struggling, he backtracked and helped Dom down the rest of the way. It warmed my heart to see Liam slow to a snail pace so he didn't out-walk Dominic.

They came within a few feet of us before stopping, Liam speaking up first and addressing Rico. "You're leaving?"

"Yeah," the youngest man glances at the time on his phone, "My ride will be here soon."

"Where to this time?" Dom spoke up.

A corner of Rico's lips curved upwards, "You know if I tell you—"

"—you'll have to kill me, yeah, yeah."

Dom's retort earned a laugh from everyone. The laughter quickly faded, only leaving the evening wind to fill the silent void in our conversation.

Liam stepped forward and extended his hand, mutually sharing a brotherly hug with Federico. Simultaneously, they folded their hands into fists and patted each other's back before pulling away.

I watched Liam pull out a folded-up envelope and wave it between the two of them, hinting that Rico take it with the sly smile that crossed his face. Federico took it and stepped back, neatly pealing it open and glancing at the contents inside.

He was quiet for a long time.

"That's just a thank you for helping us, for helping Faith," Liam glances at me and steps back, falling in line with me and taking my hand as he did so. Federico looks up slowly, then at the envelope, and back at us. And while Rico was busy staring at Liam, Liam was staring at me. "There isn't enough money in the world that I would pay to keep her safe and I cannot thank you enough for helping."

Rico's boyish smile was contagious, but as it fell, so did ours. He steps forward, seals the envelope, and proceeds to hand it back to Liam. We let the envelope full of money hang there, unclaimed. "I can't take this," when neither Liam or I reach for the money, he shakes it, "Donate it to charity, pocket it, put it towards Rosalie's school – I don't care what you do with this, but I can't take this money." He groans and turns to Dominic, who opens his hands and accepts the envelope for Liam.

Liam was the first to question Federico's motives, "Why not?"

"I can't accept money for something I will be doing for the rest of my life."

"What will you be doing for the rest of your life?" I question.

Rico's response was timely, "Protecting you."

My smile grew as I leaned against Liam's side. As people, we all had grown in one way or another from the beginning to the end; Liam's change might have been more drastic than Rico or Dom's, but even their development was clear. Dominic still missed his wife, but he was strong and he was still standing here today before of that. Federico was still and may still be fighting his demons for a long time, but he left this entire situation far different than when he first entered it.

We all noticed the black car that pulled up to the neighbor's house. It flashed its lights twice before the driver killed the engine. Federico let out a loud sigh, indicating that was his ride.

"I can't believe this," Liam let out a laugh as he pulled me closer to him, "I'm losing William and you all in the span of a week; unbelievable."

Rico lifted an eyebrow and looked to his brother.

Dominic cleared his throat, gaining everyone's attention. His hand reached into the front pocket of his dress jacket and when he pulled it out, he was clutching a neatly folded piece of paper.

My stomach dropped and I was positive so did Liam's. Dominic held out the paper for a lengthy thirty seconds, everyone anxiously waiting Liam to snatch it and open it, spilling the contents to the group. However, all Liam did was frown and purse his lips.

I couldn't wait any longer so instead of waiting for Liam, I reached out and grabbed it. Dominic looked slightly surprised as he stepped to the side, joining Federico. The curly haired man cleared his throat and adjusted his suit jacket as I unfolded the note and skimmed it. Liam leaned over me and did the same.

We didn't get past the first three words.

I, hereby, resign.

"I only told Rico about it while we were outside talking," Dominic began to explain quickly, "But it's been something I've been wanting to talk to you about for a while." I continued to glance down the note, taking in a few important words as Liam looked to his right hand man, clearly upset.

Dominic lets out a shaky breath and continues, "I haven't taken a day off since Rose died, Liam, and I may hide it well..." I looked up just in time to see Dom's jaw tighten, his eyes beginning to water. "but I...can't keep going on like this—"

"Then take a break," Liam lets out a humorless laugh and points to the note, "But you don't have to resign."

"That's the thing, I don't know how long I want to be gone for," Dom shifts in his stance, "All I know is that when I'm ready to come back, I want to be healthy; emotionally, physically..." Liam pulls his bottom lip in his mouth as Dom steps towards him, "And I know how hard it is to run a family without someone your trust standing by your side and that's why I'm resigning."

Luciano smiles softly, "This is the mafia, you don't have to resign—"

Dom chuckles, "I know, but I didn't really know how to say it besides a resignation letter."

Liam's smile falls and time lapses between his next comment. Sometime between their conversation I had handed the note off the Liam and now, he fiddled with it, completely unsure of what to say next.

His voice was soft when he finally did speak, "How long do you think you'll be gone?" When Dom doesn't respond, Liam urges him on, "four months? Half a year?" He paused and painfully added, "A year or longer?"

"Whenever I'm ready," Dominic strained.

Federico spoke up after having quietly listened to the conversation so far. His hazel eyes bore into Dom's temple and he asked a question that I'm sure Liam was thinking, just too afraid to ask. "What if you're never ready?"

Dom's gaze slowly drifts from me to his boss, then to his brother. He takes another step towards Liam and swallows hard. Rico's question still floated in the air as he nodded and gave his response.

What if you're never ready?

"If I'm never ready, then it was an honor to serve under you," Dominic stuck out his hand in anticipation for a formal handshake. Liam's gaze drifted downwards as he let go of me, but before taking the hand of the same man he considered a friend, a brother, and a consigliere, he spoke up.

"If you're never ready, then it was a privilege and an honor to have you serve with me," They bypass the handshake and pull each other in a two-handed hug. Both Rico and I smiled from our perspective views as Liam lets out a breath, "I, hereby, accept your resignation."

My thoughts ran rapid at the thought of my merry little group of friends dispersing.

William to Massachusetts if school worked out for him.

Federico to Detroit, not including all the states and countries his job made lead him too.

Dominic to Florida, where he was raised.

The sound of a horn brought me back into the present situation, where Dominic and Rico were hugging. I scampered over to Dom and gave him my own hug, just as Rico's voice filled our ears once again.

"That's my cue," He glances over at the car and holds up his index finger, the universal signal for, hold up.

"Visit," one word, but it needed no further explanation. I bit my lip at my outburst, which gathered the attention of everyone. Liam's eyes fell on me before he nodded and turned to Rico.

"You should visit, she's right."

Rico doesn't smile, "I'll see what I can do."

He turns away from all of us and I step forward again, far more adamant about him leaving than Dominic or Liam. They've had loved ones and friends leave them before, but this was a foreign feeling for me.

"Come back," I requested, looking up at him with pleading eyes. I could feel both Dominic and Liam's gazes on my back as I reached out, grabbing Rico's shirt and forcing him to turn around. "Please, come back."

Rico's gaze drops from over my shoulder and his eyes lock with mine. "What's in it for me if I do come back?"

I blurted out the first thing that came to mind, "We can go on a date!" He frowned and burst into laughter at the obnoxious volume Liam was using to clear his throat. I glance back and mouth an apology before turning back to Rico, "I mean, of course if Liam's okay with it and everything," I finish.

Federico's smile was wider than I had ever seen it. He grabbed my shoulder and leaned down, his lips meeting my cheek as he pulled me close. I groaned at how purposely wet he made the kiss and at the sound of my quiet complaining, he brought me in again – this time, pressing his lips to my forehead.

He breathed out two words, "Thank you," and then he walked away. He didn't explain to me as to why he said it, he didn't even glance back and wink. He just walked towards the car without a look behind him.

Federico vanished the second he slid into the passenger seat, the tinted windows making it next to impossible to even see the driver. The engine revved and the car peeled out, cutting off a blue Toyota Corolla in the process. The brake lights on the sports car simply flashed at the four way stop, before they turned left – completely out of sight. They were gone.

I turned around, feeling as though a part of me was gone. I knew over the next few weeks I would feel like this again; especially whenever Dominic planned to leave.

"—I'm thinking two weeks," I heard Dom say as I started to make my way back towards them, "but if you need me to stay longer while you find someone to fill my place—"

The look that crossed Liam's face proved to me that he thought Dom's suggestion was preposterous. "No, don't be ridiculous. Leave when you're ready."

Once they saw me coming, Dominic nodded and motioned towards me, "I'll leave you two alone. We can talk about this later." Liam didn't argue.

I was pulled into a deep hug once I approached. Liam rested his chin on top of my head and angled our bodies towards the entrance of my home. Slowly, we began walking in that direction.

"You know, we've been so busy talking about everyone else's goodbyes that we haven't talked about ours, yet."

My stomach twisted in a knot and the pain got so bad that I had to stop walking. Liam turned around to face me. His hands place themselves on my waist and he pulls me close. He tilts his head downwards, making sure he block out any potential distractions.

"I don't want to say goodbye to you," His voice was deep, his eyes darting between mine as if he was trying to pre-read my reaction, "That's why I want you to come back to LA with me."

It took a delayed second for me to answer, "Liam, but school."

His hands glide down my arms as he lifts my palms, pulling me even closer. "With my mom taking over the company and my focus on the family, Rosie will need someone that can help her – whether that's with homework or even waking up in the morning for school."

"I love Rosie and I love you but—" I slip out of his grasp by simply taking a step back. His arms fall to his side and his smile drops. I could hardly formulate a sentence that made sense, but I was hoping and praying he would understand the term, "—school." It was all I could say, but it was important.

"—but didn't you want a job? Or need a job? I can pay you if you look after Rosalie--" Liam steps forward and I counter it by stepping back. I made crazy decisions whenever he was within a few feet of me; blame the hormones. "Faith—"

"Liam," I let out a frustrated sigh, "I appreciate it, I really do but I can't just—"

"—leave?" He finishes for me and I nod. The words that follow catch me off guard, "I understand. You have your home, parents, friends. You've established your life here and I respect that you won't just let any man come here, swoop you off your feet, and fly you back to their lavish lifestyle."

Heat rushes to my face as I look down, the defeated expression that crossed Liam's features was not one I wanted to see – especially when I was the cause of it.

I nodded once again, cleared my throat, and made a beeline towards my front door. I took about four steps in the direction of the door – in the same direction as Liam – before I was stopped. His palm pressed against my chest and when I looked down, I noticed a neatly sealed and decorated envelope brushing against my exposed skin.

Liam tilted his head, a serious expression on his face. "You forgot one important detail though."

I step back and grab the envelope from him. "And that is?"

"I'm not just any man."

I pulled the official letter out of the sealed envelope and I read it through about three or four times. I started from the top the fourth time, reading my name and the address that the letter was sent from. My eyes casted themselves upward, only to rest on Liam's smiling face.

"Congratulations, Ms. Crawford, you've been accepted into the University of California in Los Angeles."

My jaw was still dragging along the floor as he continued, answering questions before I even had to ask.

"You're going to need to send in your transcripts unless you plan on starting completely over and you're going to need to drop by and sign a few papers I couldn't, but I have a friend in a very high place and they offered to help me out, which is why I was able to get this done."

"Liam," I was floored and the only thing that went past my lips was his name.

His hand finds its way around my forearm and he pulls me towards him; I don't fight it. "I'm not getting on that plane unless you're sitting beside me."

I tilt my head backwards and lean up, smiling as my lips brush against his. "And what if I don't go?"

Liam jerks his head in the direction of our neighbor's single story home, "In about a week your neighbors will disappear and I'll move in; their bodies won't ever be found and the case will go cold. Need I continue?"

I lean back and slap his chest, "Liam!"

He smiles, "I'm kidding," I let out a loud laugh as he leans forward and kisses me with urgency. My arms find their way around his neck as his rest on my waist. The kiss felt rushed, fast, but when he pulled away, I pouted. "Kind of. I wasn't really kidding to be honest."

"I'll go," I muttered, smiling softly, "But only because I like my next-door neighbors."

I laughed once again and stepped out of his grasp, only to turn and dash towards the front door. Liam didn't waste any time catching up to me; his strides much longer than mine. I nearly smacked into the screen door before I pulled it open and rushed inside, my breathing heavy. Most of the people had filed out of the kitchen and hallways, many of my family members seated around the television as the Mario Kart tournament continued.

"Faith!"

I turned to my father, who was sitting off to the side. He stood and a hush fell over the crowd of people.

"You never did tell us—"

"—I guess it's because we didn't ask either—" my mom sidled up to him, a warm smile on her lips as she glanced at me, then at Liam.

"—but how was your summer?" my father finished.

I tried to suppress the wide smile that was forming, hoping to downplay the entire three months. I slid the envelope from UCLA into my back pocket, taking note that I would certainly let my parents in on the good news later.

I turned and looked up at Liam, who casually threw an arm around me and looked down, smiling. My eyes floated across the congregation, watching as Rosalie cuddled up to Dominic. Then I looked to Dominic and although I couldn't see him physically, there was also Rico.

There were far too many memories to recall, but the majority of them made me smile and I couldn't have been more thankful for them.

I shrugged, nonchalantly and gave my parents a look.

"It was uneventful."

T H E   E N D

- - - -

A/N: Please, please do not forget about the epilogue I will be posting.

I don't really know what to say because I've never actually finished a book before. (Why am I crying?)

IF I WERE YOU I WOULD LEAVE THIS BOOK IN YOUR LIBRARY FOR ANY FUTURE IMPORTANT NOTES/NEW STORY RELEASES

I know there's a few more things I want to hit on in the epilogue (i.e. what ever happened to Xavier, Camilla Rodriguez + her father and MORE) so do NOT skip the epilogue when it's posted.

I wanted to thank you all for reading, commenting, voting, and leaving such lovely comments. I appreciate you all and love you all! Thank you for the 11.5K followers and the 6M reads!

Thank you for even clicking on Luciano, like seriously bless your freaking souls. I will be entering Luciano into the WATTY'S this year (It will be the last time its eligible) so hopefully we win?!?!??!

- -

I actually got quite a few people asking to bring back the character interviews, so if you have a question for ANYONE (they must be alive, people) leave them here.

Questions for Faith?

Question for Liam?

For Rosalie?

For Dominic?

For Rico?

For Vincenzo?

For Zara?

EPILOGUE COMING SOON.

Đọc tiếp

Bạn Cũng Sẽ Thích

295K 6.7K 63
*Some scenes include physical abuse* Hope Ficci is a 19 year old girl from New York. One night away with her best friend reveals secrets that she has...
4.7K 44 51
Read "Queen of the Empire" first!!!! This is the second book of the Rossi mafia series. ~~~~~ Liam One month has passed since the night. One month ha...
Princess Bởi Meg

Lãng mạn

202K 7.1K 50
COMPLETED. Damon Hale-the rising king of the underworld, focused on taking over the family "business". The list of things he cared about were limite...
1.2M 25.5K 45
"Stand up.", he said to me. "What?", I asked confused. "STAND UP.", he ordered slightly aggressive. I quickly got up from the bed and stood in front...