Loyalty Or Honour (Book 3)

By randomthoughts96

The time has come for Hunter, the only illegitimate son of the late Lord Usani, to know the true meaning of f... More

Author's Note
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One
Chapter Thirty Two
Chapter Thirty Three
Chapter Thirty Four
Chapter Thirty Five
Chapter Thirty Six
Chapter Thirty Seven
Chapter Thirty Eight
Chapter Thirty Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty One
Chapter Forty Two
Chapter Forty Three
Chapter Forty Four
Chapter Forty Five
Important.
Chapter Forty Six
Chapter Forty Seven
Chapter Forty Eight
Chapter Forty Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty One
Chapter Fifty Two
Chapter Fifty Three
Author's Note
Family With Honour
Bear's story

Chapter Sixteen

5.5K 506 25
By randomthoughts96

Vote ~ Comment ~ Enjoy!

"I do not know whether to thank you for bringing her back or..." Wisely her words grind to a halt. She knows that she must not voice the rest in case she provokes more anger in her second son. Hunter will not react kindly to her continuing to say the words that hang awkwardly in the air between them. Or tell you off for worrying us with her absence... She has lost all right to reprimand a grown man she abandoned at birth. Alice cringes and disappears inside. She does not want to be dragged into this mess. Khiara swallows roughly. "Alice spoke fondly of you to her father. Even Xia seems rather happy in your company. Thank you for being kind to them."

Orion cringes and watches Hunter's reaction slowly. It is clear those were the second worst set of words she could possibly have said. All of the blue leaks from his eyes leaving only a dark empty gaze behind. Orion positions himself so he stands between them but a little off to the side.

"Do not speak as if you know me." Hunter warns, "How dare you thank me for that! I am not a monster and I will not shun them for your actions despite what you may think. That is no favour to you."

"Hunter." Orion growls, forcing Hunter's gaze to move away from its death grip on Khiara. "Now is not the time." Hunter follows Orion's pointed gaze and sees the young boy James hovering in the doorway, biting his lip and shaking slightly, afraid of the raised voice coming from a man so similar to the brother he has known in his few years.

Hunter takes a step back and bows his head as he exhales slowly. Orion strides over to James once he is satisfied that his brother is in control of his emotions. He grins at his youngest sibling and lifts him up off the ground. He suggests making breakfast and takes him inside.

"I am sorry. I truly did not mean to offend you." Her voice breaks the silence and Hunter looks up, surprised that she had not followed Orion and James into the house. "I was only trying to imagine how it would feel to meet the children that same woman chose to keep when she let you go. If you had been brusque with them it would have been understandable and would not make you a monster. Did that not even cross your mind?"

"Orion told me that your husband changed you. You kept them because of him. That is not difficult for me to accept." Hunter frowns and sighs deeply. "I struggled with Orion; you went back for him. You never came back for me."

Tears brim in her eyes but she holds them back. She does not want her son's pity. She wants his forgiveness. "I am sorry."

"I know." Hunter shrugs his shoulders. "The problem is I do not think I care anymore." He glances up at the house. "You should return to your son. Tell Orion I will wait for him here."

"Answer me just one question please; is there anything I can do to make this better?" She asks softly. Hunter's brow furrows and he winces.

"I do not know." He answers even softer.

She nods and leaves. Hunter lets out a long exhale before taking up his earlier spot and waiting for his brother to be ready to go back to their assignment.

○ ○ ○

It does not take long for Orion and Alice to appear and the three of them head towards the castle. Orion slowly, deliberately withdraws something from within his jacket and carefully unfolds it. Hunter catches the words written on the crisp paper and smirks to himself. Alice however resolutely looks ahead pretending to be oblivious. Orion taps it three times before producing an hmm noise.

"It is such a beautiful morning, do you not agree Hunter?" She speaks, staring around her at everything bathed in fresh morning light. Hunter chuckles and Orion grins.

"Indeed, little sister." Orion answers instead. "It is a dreadful shame that I was delivered this bill early this morning and setting the day off to a bad start." Her eyes flick to his briefly and he sees triumph in them then surprise when she sees it reflected in his. "I fear I must arrange to speak with Madam Abraham immediately concerning the matter of the expense of your dress."

"Perhaps next time you will not be so eager to shoot down my happiness, big brother." She answers carefully.

"This expense will rid me of all of my savings, Alice! I think it would be wise if you pleaded my case to her and asked for this expense to be covered by their majesties." Orion tries to persuade her. She simply tweaks one eyebrow up.

"Now why would I do that? You are paid well for your work and you do so care that I am dressed modestly."

"I am paid extremely well. But I also do incredibly dangerous assignments. I do not wish for all of that to go on one dress." He stresses. She sighs and it starts to sink in that this would not be exactly fair for one worried comment he had given.

"I will speak with her and relay to her your deepest regrets and apology." She smiles at him, her eyes sparking. Orion laughs.

"If you must. Now tell me why something else confuses me on this bill..."Alice picks up her pace but her brother's long legs easily keep up with her. "Why on earth would you use my last name instead of your own?"

"I thought you would prefer it." His eyebrows rise with incredulousness.

"Your father will wonder why." Orion points out.

"Actually he suggested it. His name is not well known whereas yours is. There is more protection for me using your name."

Hunter laughs and shakes his head. Orion glances at him bemused. "She introduced herself as Alice North?"

"Yes." Orion replies shortly.

"So what is your last name?" He speeds up and walks backwards so he can talk to her. She shakes her head, lips pulling up.

"Glen." She rolls her eyes. "Does it really matter if I used your last name Orion? He is!" She points at Hunter. "You do not share the same father."

"Fine but no more lies." Orion orders. She nods but her eyes roll.

○ ○ ○

They come across Lady Arabella's maids in the hallway before they reach her rooms. Orion halts and waits for them to walk closer. He bows his head in respect. Hunter refuses to, remembering the words Miss Litt had whispered to Lady Arabella. He was inexperienced according to her so why should he bother to treat her with respect when she obviously does not expect it of him. "May I ask where you two are off to?" Orion politely enquires.

"Lady Arabella is still abed and Miss Frith here has restless legs. We are intending to go for a walk around the garden." Mary replies. Orion considers her words and nods.

"Please allow me to escort you." His tone allows no choice of saying no. They smile politely. He lets them pass and turns to Hunter. "Go and relieve the guards on duty outside Lady Arabella's rooms. Do not let her leave until we return." He hurriedly tells him before going after the two women. Theodore had told him to keep an eye on all correspondence. Litt or Frith may be carrying some letters. He must observe everything just in case.

Hunter stands alone in the hallway, Alice having already left much earlier to retrieve her first outfit that the seamstresses had spent hours on during the night. He shakes his head then starts walking again. The two men outside her door, one being Jorge, sigh in relief on sight of him. They blink slowly, postures slightly slouched. The hours they have been awake have been long, quiet and uneventful. The idea of sleep is tantalizingly sweet at this point. "Are you here to relieve us?" The one Hunter does not know asks with hope. He chuckles and nods. The two men leave, Jorge patting him on the shoulder as they pass.

Hunter hesitates wondering if he should wait outside or enter. Yesterday Orion had strode right in but those two men were standing guard outside. What should he do? He tries the door handle and peeks in. The sitting room is empty of any presence. Hunter steps within and makes his way over to the window. He stares out and soon sees Orion following the two women. His face is blank hiding any boredom. A door softly opens behind him. He turns and bows his head.

"You are not who I was expecting to see. Are my ladies still out on their morning walk?" She asks with humour. Hunter nods. He frowns slightly, Arabella is elegantly dressed and her hair has already been fixed up beautifully. There is little to no chance she was just abed. Her friends had lied for her. But for what reason? "Remind me of your name, I seem to have forgotten it."

"Hunter North." He answers shortly, unable to meet her stare for too long without feeling the strange sensation in his chest he looks out the window once more. Lady Arabella breathes out in response, finding it easier to breathe now he is no longer studying her so intently. She glides over to a light blue sofa and takes a seat. His eyes flicker over at the slight noise.

"Would you take a seat? You are setting me on edge." She requests. Hunter's jaw tenses, taking a seat would mean moving closer to her and for once in his life he does not trust himself. His heart quickens a little in his chest and he looks away again. Why does she have to look so stunning this early in the morning? "If you are worried about getting in trouble then I assure you that you will not." She adds.

"I am not afraid of getting in trouble." He replies in amusement.

"Then you simply do not wish to sit." She remarks before rising. "Very well, I wish to go to the library." She heads for the door and Hunter audibly groans. She pauses and raises on perfect eyebrow in his direction. "Do you have an issue with a room full of books?"

"No, actually, I am very fond of libraries. When my brother returns you may go." Hunter tells her. She scoffs and his lips twitch.

"He does not and will not dictate my actions. I doubt I will be attacked making my way down a few hallways to a library. And if by some ridiculous chance I do you will be there. Now are you coming or shall I go alone?" Arabella speaks in a teasing tone and opens the door. Hunter laughs and nods, gesturing for her to lead the way.

Together they stride down the hallway, taking turns until she stops outside of a large set of double doors. She pushes it open and warmth envelops them from the large fire burning in the corner fire place. Arabella grins and waltzes in, eyes already scanning the bookshelves for the perfect read. "We got here safely." She muses half aloud. Hunter shakes his head but cannot help smiling. He forces himself to stop when he realises just how easily he is smiling and laughing within her presence. The woman is engaged to the Crown Prince of all people.

"Will you be attending the ball at the end of the week?" She asks a little while later. She catches his look of absolutely confusion. "The nobles as well as those who work within the castle are invited for one night of equality. The morning after everything goes back to normal." She explains.

Thoughts? ;)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.1K 156 26
Tagalog/English "Paghihigantihan kita Allen Romuladez!" ito ang mga katagang binitawan ni Geraldine when she made the vow of ruining the man he despi...
380K 29.4K 44
Nothing has gone as planned. Logan of the Usani family had every intention of persuading the powerful Ricell family that he was worthy enough to marr...
51.5K 3.1K 75
Lord Erec, Baron of Greenwood. Years of service earned him glory, honor, wealth and even a title or two. While contented, he felt no real joy...unt...
2.1K 48 28
True to love there is always betrayal. Betrayal is to love as Boy is to Girl. Or in this case Vampire is to Woman. The Queens favorite has betraye...