Chasing Freedom {Book 3: Chas...

By arty_writes

After the threat that was presented by the remaining Death Eaters at their graduation ceremony, Audrey and Dr... More

Chapter 1: Home, Sweet Home
Chapter 2: Vulnerable
Chapter 3: Darkest Before Dawn
Chapter 4: Girl Time
Chapter 5: Overshadowed
Chapter 6: Forget Them
Chapter 7: A Dinner From Hell
Chapter 8: All Too Familiar
Chapter 9: Desperate Measures
Chapter 10: The First Meeting
Chapter 11: Time For A Wedding
Chapter 12: The Coffee Shop
Chapter 13: Waiting
Chapter 14: Enemies Revealed
Chapter 15: Top of the World
Chapter 16: Birthday Celebrations
Chapter 17: Afraid Not
Chapter 18: Saying Goodbye
Chapter 19: Before The Storm
Chapter 20: The Battle Begins
Chapter 21: In a Flash
Chapter 22: Always Keep Fighting
Chapter 23: For Better or Worse
Chapter 24: Waste of Space
Chapter 25: Parenthood
Chapter 26: The Trial
Chapter 27: Honestly
Chapter 28: Crossing Lines
Chapter 29: A Thing
Chapter 30: Hopes
Chapter 31: Blessings
Chapter 33: A Promise
Chapter 34: The Platform
Alternate Ending
Author's Note

Chapter 32: Candlelit Questions

174 8 11
By arty_writes

Hey everyone! Sorry it took me so long to get this chapter up. It's been hard to write with my work schedule and puppy recently, but I bought a new tablet so I have been able to get more writing done the past few days or so. I hope this will continue to help me get the last few chapters done. Also, I feel like I made a mistake in counting how many chapters are left in this story. There are, after this chapter, 3 more- including the alternate ending. My plan is to sit down and write them all in the coming weeks- especially come mid-May. I'll be in Florida on vacation, and I plan on writing as much as I possibly can while I'm there. Anyways, I hope you all enjoy this chapter!

Special shoutout to my friend Ally ( allyycatt ) for making a new cover for this story! I think this one is much better. Thanks again, love! :)

*************************************************************************

"Well I found a woman, stronger than anyone I know. She shares my dreams, I hope that someday I'll share her home." ~ Perfect, Ed Sheeran

Audrey wasn't much of a dancer. In her just over twenty years of life, she could count on one hand how many times she danced. She only needed a finger to count how many times she had been taken out for the sole purpose of dancing. Yet here she was, twirling around on the dance floor with Artemis having the time of her life.

It was a rare date night. She and Artemis didn't get many of them, which was to be expected with a toddler and Artemis working as much as he did. Most of the time, they just went to dinner and then went right back home. This time, however, he had taken her to some ballroom after they had a light dinner. They each had gotten dressed up- Audrey in a new dress, and Artemis had once again worn his favored suit. He didn't wear suits as frequently these days, mostly to avoid having them ruined by messy little Scorpius, and Audrey was glad to see him all dressed up again.

Honestly, Audrey hadn't taken Artemis as much of a dancer either, but he surprised her once again. They had been there for about an hour, and even though her feet hurt quite a bit, Audrey honestly wouldn't have minded staying even longer. It had thus far been a pretty romantic evening, and Audrey was fully enjoying being this close to Artemis. But as the song dwindled to an end and Artemis spun her around one last time, she had a feeling they would be heading back home soon, and back to their normal everyday lives. Sure enough, Artemis led her off the dance floor, and back over to the table where Audrey had left her bag. Audrey watched as he made a hasty glance at his watch before looking back to her.

"We should probably head out," he replied, but his voice sounded more anxious than ever before.

Audrey nodded, knowing very well that it was getting late. Without a word, she picked up her purse, and linked arms with her boyfriend before following him outside into the cool November air. Artemis led her down the street, towards a small park. This confused Audrey a little bit, but she assumed it was so they had a safer place to Apparate back to the manor so she followed without question. However, the closer they got to the park, the more Audrey realized Artemis was up to something.

Upon reaching the park's entrance, Audrey noticed the pathway through the park was dimly lit with small candles. She glanced up at her boyfriend curiously. "Artemis? What's with the candles?" she asked, her confusion very evident in her voice.

"You'll see," was all Artemis said as he offered her a reassuring smile.

Audrey took a deep breath as the two of them continued their walk through the park, not sure what she should expect. After following the winding path for a bit, a small wooden gazebo came into view. It was lit up just like the pathway, and as they got closer to it, Audrey took notice of several strands of photos hanging from the nearby trees and columns of the gazebo. She stopped for a moment to look at the pictures, and realized that they were all of her and Artemis at some point in their relationship, even some prior to them being official. All the happy memories surrounding her put a smile back on her face, and the suspicion she had dissipated. She turned to look at Artemis, only to see him smiling nervously back at her.

"What's all this for, Arty?" Audrey asked.

Artemis took a deep breath before he took her left hand and led her to the center of the gazebo. He glanced at his feet, silently debating over his word choice. When he looked back at Audrey, his eyes were soft, and while the smile on his face had dissipated slightly, it was still there. "Well... I brought you here to ask you something incredibly important," Artemis admitted, his voice sounding more confident than he felt.

Audrey looked at him curiously. "Alright. What is it?"

"I just want you to know that this year and a half  I have spent with you has been absolutely amazing. I... I never imagined we would end up here, and I am ever-so grateful that I have had the opportunity to be a part of your life and Scorpius' as well," Artemis began. He paused for a moment, making Audrey wonder where he was going with this. "It's been a very long two and half, three years now for the both of us, and without you, I'm certain I wouldn't be the man I am today. You have made me so incredibly happy... words can hardly begin to explain it. You are the best thing that has ever happened to me. Which brings me to the point of this little venture."

In one swift motion, Artemis reached into his pocket and got down on one knee. Audrey felt her heart rate increase, seeing him holding a small box in his hand. She felt her right hand cover her mouth involuntarily from shock. Was this what she thought it was?

Artemis took a deep breath before looking up into Audrey's now tear-glazed eyes. His thumb rested on the side of the box, waiting for the right moment. "I cannot imagine growing old and living life with anyone else, nor do I want to. And if you say yes to my next question, I promise no one will work harder to make you happy or cherish you more than me." He paused long enough to pry the box open with his thumb, revealing a diamond ring that gleamed in the dim lighting. "Will you do me the honor of marrying me and being my wife?"

Tears flowed from Audrey's eyes as she nodded enthusiastically. "Yes, Artemis. I will," she answered.

Artemis took the ring from the box and carefully slid it onto her finger before pulling her into a tight embrace. Audrey hugged him back, her head resting on his shoulder, tears continuing to stream from her eyes. Neither of them spoke for several minutes, soaking in the happiness of the moment they just shared. It had been a long time since Audrey had felt this happy, in all honesty. But it was a strange feeling, too. What was it going to be like to be married again? Audrey loved Artemis dearly, like she had loved Draco. She only hoped she didn't lose him as she did Draco. Admittedly, she wasn't sure she would be able to endure another loss of that magnitude. Before she could start thinking too much though, Artemis spoke again.

"I love you so much," he said quietly.

"I love you too, Arty," Audrey replied, her voice sounding shakier than she wanted it to.

He pulled away from her slightly before reaching up to wipe some of the tears from her eyes before cupping her face in his hands gently. "I know this isn't going to be easy for you, but I promise I'll work my hardest to keep you happy and to make sure you and Scorpius are taken care of," he assured. "You deserve the best, and I promise that's exactly what you'll get. Forever and always."

Audrey didn't need the reassurance, but it was comforting anyways. "I believe you, Artemis."

He leaned in and kissed her gently on her lips before pulling away from her again, taking one of her hands in his. "Shall we head home now, my love? Mother promised she would keep Scorpius for the rest of the evening so we can have some quality time together," he went on.

Audrey nodded. "I think that sounds wonderful," she said, always more than happy to spend time with him.

Without another word, the two of them Disapparated, and after a few seconds arrived back at the manor. The remainder of the evening Audrey was still in disbelief; she was going to be getting married again. It was a strange feeling, knowing she was really moving on from Draco's death. On one hand it was exciting, but on the other it was kind of sad. It had been almost three years now, and while she would always love and miss Draco, she knew it was okay to move on and live a happy life with Artemis.

He made her happy when she thought she would never be happy again. He loved her through all the dark times, carried her through the storms. He wasn't a perfect man by any means, but he tried so hard to make everything perfect for her. Artemis adored her, adored Scorpius, and that was more than enough for her.

For a while, Audrey had been so uncertain about moving on from Draco. But as she laid there with Artemis later that night, she knew marrying him was the right choice, and she couldn't wait to call him her husband.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

277K 27.7K 46
[LIBRO 1] No respires cerca de él. No lo mires a los ojos. No le preguntes por su collar. No busques las razones. Es él, la imagen de la perfección m...
328K 52.3K 26
Park Jimin, un padre soltero. Por culpa de una estafa termina viviendo con un completo extraño. Min Yoongi, un hombre solitario que guarda un triste...
2.2M 227K 131
Dónde Jisung tiene personalidad y alma de niño, y Minho solo es un estudiante malhumorado. ❝ ━𝘔𝘪𝘯𝘩𝘰 𝘩𝘺𝘶𝘯𝘨, ¿𝘭𝘦 𝘨𝘶𝘴𝘵𝘢 𝘮𝘪𝘴 𝘰𝘳𝘦𝘫...
133M 8.6M 65
Recién llegada a la elitista universidad Tagus, Jude Derry descubre que ahí todo gira alrededor de las fiestas, los chismes, los ligues y sobre todo...