Take A Walk (A Hunter Hayes F...

By Nethii120700

❝I'll take a walk, clear my thoughts, move along, no questions asked. Take whatever's left of me, and leave y... More

Take A Walk (A Hunter Hayes Fanfiction, Book 5 of The Hardships Saga)
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty-Eight
Chapter Forty-Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty-One
Chapter Fifty-Two
Chapter Fifty-Three
Chapter Fifty-Four
Chapter Fifty-Five
Chapter Fifty-Six
Chapter Fifty-Seven
Chapter Fifty-Eight
Chapter Fifty-Nine
Chapter Sixty
Chapter Sixty-One
Chapter Sixty-Two
Chapter Sixty-Three
Chapter Sixty-Four

Chapter Eleven

97 9 8
By Nethii120700

❝note (pronounced nəʊt or noht), noun
a short, informal letter or written phrase.❞

The man had brown hair, brown eyes, and he was older than Hunter by several years. His skin sagged a little on his face, and his hair was streaked with grey. He had heavy eyebrows and his eyes, his eyes that were exactly the colour of Elle's, were staring at her.

"So you're my daughter?" he asked, very soft. His voice was deep and gruff.

The room was dead silent, Cassie standing behind Gabriel with a look of terror on her face. Hunter was staring at him with an unreadable expression on his face, and Ryan was watching Hunter warily.

Drew was the first to step forward, and glancing at him seemed to give Elle strength that she didn't have previously. "Yes," she heard herself say. "I'm Elle."

"Elle," he repeated. "Creative. Your grandmother was French."

"She was?"

"She was indeed."

Everyone was silent once more, and Drew held out a hand. "I'm Drew, sir," he said. "Drew Greene."

"Greene. And who exactly are you?"

"I'm Elle's partner. We've been together for nearly two years now, but we've been friends since-"

"Da, why don't you go inside and meet the family, and we'll discuss living arrangements and stuff?"

"Right," said Gabriel, walking inside. Nita bounded up, licking his hand, and Gabriel showed the first sign of a smile. This relieved Elle somewhat. Dogs were the best at trusting personalities, right? Maybe he wouldn't be so bad after all.

Drew silently took Elle's hand, and together, they followed Gabriel inside.

<><><><><><><><>

They sat around the dinner table. Ryan had made a feast fit for kings, and the table was full. Robin, Spencer, Phoenix, Elle, Drew, Cassie, Gabriel, Hunter and Gabriel sat around the table, while Red sat beside Ryan in her high chair. Everyone was eating in silence, and Elle couldn't stop looking at Gabriel. She could see herself in his brown eyes and his constantly tapping foot.

"Pa, could you pass the salt?" asked Elle, and both Gabriel and Hunter reached, then paused, looking at each other in a not-so-friendly way. She gulped. "Erm, Phoenix, do you mind-"

"Yeah, sure," he said quickly, passing it, and she thanked him quietly. Gabriel glared at Hunter silently, and Hunter glared back. Neither man was willing to back down from this fight.

"Well," began Ryan. "It's been a pleasure meeting you, Gabriel."

"And you, Ryan," said Gabriel, before clearing his throat. "Now, how will arrangements for where they live happen, Hayes?"

"Well," said Hunter, "Elle and Drew have been talking about moving in together for ages, and especially since college is starting up soon, they're going to be living at a campus together."

"And Cassie?" he asked, looking at her. She seemed to be finding her potatoes extremely interesting.

"I was thinking about moving here permanently," she said meekly. "I wanted to come to the US anyway, so coming here isn't so bad-"

"I've already applied for permanent residency here," said Gabriel. "That means we can stay together."

Elle knew it, and so did Drew. Gabriel knew. He knew that Cassie wanted to stay with Hunter; he was just forcing her to admit to it.

"I... I suppose, but..."

"But what?" he pressed.

"I want to stay with my dad. With- with my biological dad."

"And you don't want to stay with yours?" he asked Elle suddenly, and she gulped.

"I... I was going to move in with Drew."

"Ah. An avoider of conflict. You'd've liked your mother. She was the same."

"My mother?"

"No use talking about her now."

Cassie's face had gone neutral again, and the table resumed its meal. Spencer tugged on Drew's sleeve and whispered, "Why's everyone angry?"

"Because no one is getting what they want."

"But Nick gave Elle the salt, wasn't that what she wanted?"

"Not exactly."

Eventually, dinner was over, and Gabriel went outside for a smoke. Elle watched Drew silently, as he played with the kids on the floor beside the fireplace, and Cassie walked up behind her. "Elle, Da wants to talk to us," said Cassie.

"Why?" she questioned, and Cassie just shook her head.

"No idea. C'mon, let's get going before he gets upset."

"Temper issues?"

"Not really. Just not a patient man."

They left together, finding Gabriel on the veranda, and he turned to face them, cigarette in hand. "Do you smoke, Elle?"

"No," she said. "I'm a dancer."

"Same as your mother, then."

"Apparently I'm a lot like her," said Elle before she could stop herself, and Cassie stiffened.

"You are," he responded simply, then cleared his throat. "Right. Well, your boyfriend seems nice."

"He's very nice," said Elle cautiously. There was something wrong with this conversation, the alarm bells were already going off in her head.

Gabriel looked behind them, and said, "Sweetie, close the door, would you?"

Cassie turned around and closed the door behind them, and suddenly, Gabriel was talking in a very low and very quiet voice. "You see this, Elle?" he breathed, pulling something black and shiny from his pocket.

She studied it in the dark for a moment, then she felt her blood run cold. "That's... that's..."

"A gun," he said. "A pistol, to be precise. Holds exactly five bullets at a time. Want to know how many I brought today?"

Cassie and Elle were both frozen in place, staring at him. He smiled slightly, and pulled out a box, filled with bullets. He took one between his fingers, and stood it up on its base on the railing. "One for Hayes."

Elle's heart was racing. "One for the blonde, his wife," he continued. "One for the little dark haired one. One for the little girl. One for the little boy. One for the baby."

"You wouldn't," whispered Elle.

"And you know what? I don't have to. Because all I need is one." He took one more bullet from the box, and put it into the gun, before aiming through the window, at one person sitting on the ground.

Aiming at Drew.

"Da, this is mad," breathed Cassie.

"You lay a finger on him and I'll kill you myself," snarled Elle. "Put the gun down, you wouldn't have the guts."

"Funny," said Gabriel. "That's exactly what your mother said."

The blood ran out of Cassie's already pale face. "What did you do to Mother?"

"She said she'd leave me. I told her she wouldn't. She told me I didn't have the guts." He chuckled darkly. "She didn't leave me, did she, now?"

Elle heard the gun cock, and all the fight in her body left her. "Alright," she whispered, defeated. "What do you want?"

"You're going to leave him tonight," said Gabriel. "You're going to leave him, and you're going to make sure he won't follow you. You're both coming with me, and Cassie, if I so much as get wind that you're going to stay here, I'll go back to Ireland and Adrian will have to say goodbye."

Tears were streaming from Cassie's eyes, and Elle breathed, "Why are you so twisted?"

"Because life isn't fair, sweetheart." He smiled. "Pleasure doing business with you."

And with that, he tucked the gun back into his pocket and left.

<><><><><><><><>

Drew was getting into his pyjamas, planning to spend the night with Elle, especially since she had been so quiet toward the end of the night. Elle was sitting silently and stiffly on the bed, her head bowed and her eyes closed.

"So," he said. "Your father is... quite the character."

No response. He knelt down in front of her and smiled slightly. "Hey, how about we dance again, like last month? You liked that, right?"

"Drew, get the f*ck out of my room."

He laughed. "Ah, shit, what've I done this time? Did I accidentally steal your blankets again?"

She wasn't smiling. She wasn't laughing. His smile faded, and he frowned. "Ellie?"

"Don't call me that."

"What's wrong, Ellie?" he asked. "Is everything okay?"

"Drew, I told you to get out of my room."

Suddenly, he didn't feel like she was joking anymore. "Cookie, what's-"

"I said not to call me by nicknames. I'm breaking up with you, is that so hard to understand?"

His heart was racing, and he felt like his breathing was nowhere near steady. "What do you mean?"

"What, are you dense?"

"I- I don't understand-"

"You've always been so f*cking clingy, you know that?" she snarled. "God knows why I stayed with you, all you ever did was sit with me and act like you cared."

"I do care! Elle, what on Earth-"

"Don't lie to me, you're staying with me so that you can be all tragic when I die, and then all the girls will be after you."

His jaw dropped, and he stared. Elle wasn't looking at him. She was staring at the wall, like it was the most interesting thing she'd ever seen. "I can't believe I ever loved you, Greene. I can't believe I sunk that f*cking low."

"You're hiding something," he said softly. "I know you, you're trying to hurt me. You're trying to make me leave."

"Yeah, I am, you're a real genius to have worked that one out," she snapped. "Jesus, how many times do I have to tell you to leave until you actually do it?"

"Give me one good reason," he said. "One reason why you don't love me anymore, and I'll go."

"You want a reason? Fine," snarled Elle. "I never loved you. I was using you. You were a distraction when Chad broke up with me, and then I felt bad for you."

"You're lying."

"Dating you was possibly the worst decision I've ever made," she said, her voice hitting him like a whip. "You're so bloody pretentious. Just f*ck off, for God's sake!"

"But-"

"But what? You love me?" She laughed derisively. "You aren't worth shit. You really think... you really think I'd date some bi dude? You're probably just in denial and you're actually gay. Do you know how disgusting that is?"

His lack of response told her all she needed to know. She broke him with that last sentence.

"Maybe," he breathed, "you're right. You know what? Everyone was right. You're just a cold, heartless bitch, and I wasted my time going after you because I thought you were worth it."

"Yeah," she countered. "Go run off with some gay hooker, it's all you're good for."

"At least I don't try and f*ck random douchebags because I'm trying to get back at my parents for not doing anything wrong, right?!"

"I thought I f*cking told you to leave?!"

His cheeks were damp with tears, and so were hers. "You know what?!" he cried. "I don't give a f*cking f*ck, I don't. I hope you go to Hell. I hate you, Elle, and everyone else who does has the right idea."

"Don't worry, I hate me too. Being the first time of a gay virgin, what a f*cking joke."

He let out a choked sob. "Why are you so mean?!" he cried.

"Why are you so pathetic?!" She pulled off the tourmaline ring, the ring he had gotten her, and threw it at him, making him flinch. "Get OUT!"

Drew didn't look back that time. He walked out, slamming the door behind him. Elle heard him running down the stairs, heard Ryan ask what was wrong, and heard the front door slam as well.

She closed her eyes. She couldn't cry. She couldn't let the tears fall. Drew wasn't here to dry her eyes anymore.

So instead, she picked up the pen that Drew had left here, and she began to write.

Dear Ma, Pa, Spence, Robbie, Nick and Red,

Im sorry. I need to go and I need to go toniht. My farther is insane. I hvae no choic. He theratend to klli you guys and Drew. I could'nt let that hapen. I love him and you to much. Youv'e been the best famliy I colud ever hvae asked for.

Ma: thank you for beng the best mom in the enrite world. no one coud be better than yuo. you always keep me safe and alwys take care off me no mater what. Your the best wife to Pa and I hope you always sayt togehetr.

Pa: you took care of me even when I was jsut a baby and you had just lost Lilly. i kwno she maent a lot to you, but you alwyas maed sure I came first. Thank you so mcuh. plese take care of my baby brothers and sisteers for me.

Spence: your the cutest and the most anoying little broehter I colud ever hvae asked for. Pormise me your going to be the best cook in the hole world.

Robbie: Your not fat. I now you think that but its not true. Your the most beutiful girl in the world adn your gonna be the best kikboxer ever.

Nick: I hope ebony is evrything youv'e ever wanted.

Red: your just a baby but your going to be just as beutiful as your sister and your mom. There both pefect and yuo will be to.

I love you. I hope Ill see you soon. Do'nt call the police. he mite hurt us both.

Love,

Elle

She stared at the note. She hated how short and concise it was, but picked up another piece of paper. Her eyes were filled with tears, but she refused to let any of them fall.

Dear Beanbag,

Im so sorry my love. Im so sorry. I promsie your valid. Who cares if your bi? Not me. I had to say it becase if I did'nt you would'nt of left. My father said if I did'nt go wiht him that he woud kill you. I was so scaed he would hrut you. I love you so much. Im so sory that I had to hurt you but if I did'nt he would of killed you.

My favorit memory of us is the night after your birthday when we were lying tehre and just talking while it rained outside becase it was so niec and warm and dry inside. I hope you remeber that to.

I love you.

Plese find someon else. Plese promise that your gonna be okay.

Ill never forget you. Thank you for being my gratest adventure.

love,

your cookie

*a/n: whoops my hand slipped

nethii <3*

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

185K 4.2K 20
My name is Hunter I have been friends with Oliver for most of my life. I realized when I was 13 that I was gay. I have never told anyone not even my...
670K 20.1K 40
***COMPLETE*** Book #2 in the hookup series - MUST READ THE FIRST BOOK in order for this one to make any sort of sense. "Keep doing that and I'll be...
446K 4.4K 46
I never know what to write here, I mean the title says it all.
15.3K 1.1K 59
❝Real fatherhood means love and commitment and sacrifice and a willingness to share responsibility and not walking away from one's children.❞ - Willi...