Mon Amour

By WritingInConsequence

Maksim Lukin is a deadly Russian wolf with a need to stay isolated. AnnaLee McBride is an innocent human gir... More

author's note
Dedication
Prologue
Chapter 1: The Coat of the Legend
Chapter 2: Unravelled
Chapter 3: A Whole New World Revealed
Chapter 4: Trapped
Chapter 5: Meeting My Kidnappers
Chapter 6: Finding Him (Part 1)
Chapter 6: Finding Him (part 2)
Chapter 7: Mr. Fix-It
Chapter 8: Moving In (part 1)
Chapter 8: Moving In (part 2)
Chapter 9: Chasing the Past
Chapter 10: Surprises
Thank You!
Chapter 11: Confronted (part 1)
Chapter 11: Confronted (part 2)
Chapter 12: Rescue Me
Chapter 13: Innocent
Chapter 14: Finding Us
Chapter 15: Explain Yourself
Chapter 16: The Lone Wolf
Chapter 17: Out for Blood
Chapter 18: The Catalyst
Chapter 19: True Colors
Chapter 20: With Love Comes Power
Chapter 21: Truth Unraveled
Chapter 22: In Sickness and In Health (Part 1)
Chapter 22: In Sickness and In Health (part 2)
Chapter 23: Pleasurable Destruction
Chapter 24: Unorthodox Cure
Chapter 25: What's Done is Done
Chapter 26: Needing You
Author's Note
Chapter 27: Too Good to be True
Chapter 28: The Ultimate Opportunist
Chapter 29: Feminists Make the First Move...
Chapter 30: ... Alphas Make the Last
Chapter 31: Nettlesome Nik
Chapter 32: A Wolf in Sheep's Clothing
Chapter 33: I've Seen A Ghost
Chapter 34: The Past Always Catches Up
Chapter 35: Roadie For A Day
Chapter 36: Fantasies Turn into Tragedies
Chapter 38: When Vengeance Meets Kindness
Epilogue
If You Don't Read This, You Will Be Sorry...
After Mon Amour...

Chapter 37: To Have Never Loved At All

15.4K 748 98
By WritingInConsequence

Chapter 37: To Have Never Loved At All

"Nik, can you do nothing right? What is it you need?" Maksim asked hastily. All he wanted was to be left alone for one day.

"Maks, listen to me."

The alpha straightened up at his friends serious tone. Niklaus was never serious.

"Are you there?" Nik panicked.

Shaking his head, Maksim answered him. "I'm here. What's happened?"

"It's Cassandra." Nik began. "She escaped the territory. I think she is heading your way and so am I."

"How far away are you?" Maksim asked, dread filling his stomach.

"About fifteen minutes." he said before adding, "And Maks, don't leave Anna alone."

Before anything else could be said, the phone fell to the pavement, the screen shattering on the ground.

Nik's voice could be heard faintly yelling for his friend to say something, to let him know they were safe.

He didn't get an answer for Maksim was already running back to the spot he last saw Anna.

Where he left her.

His vision was a blur as his feet carried him faster than they ever have before. The only time he ever felt like this was when the wolf side of him threatened to take over. Then, he fought against the feeling out of fear.

Today, he embraced it. Now, he knew the meaning of true fear: loosing Anna. If he turned into an animal, so be it. As long as she was safe.

When he saw her, his blood soared to his ears as anger overtook him.

Her eyes were pleading, begging to be let go as Cassandra held a knife to her throat.

In that moment, she looked exactly like her brother had some time ago, holding Anna hostage and threatening her life.

Maksim knew, however, that this wouldn't end as easily as it did with Kender. His sister was wiser and smarter. The look on her face told him that she was also determined.

Anna may be taller, but Cassandra was undoubtedly stronger. She was of course a shifter.

As he moved towards them, he stepped on a branch, drawing the she-wolf's attention.

She immediately shifted to hide behind Anna, but her grip around the knife remained just as strong. She was using his mate as a shield.

Coward.

"Stop where you are." Cassandra ordered, causing Maksim's jaw to tick.

"Maks!" Anna yelled as she kept her eyes on him, silent panic spreading down her face.

"If you hurt her I-"

"I'm not here for her." The crazed shifter answered.

Maksim froze, as he realized what was going on.

This day would change them, he was sure of it.

"Then, what do you want?" Anna asked through her shaky voice.

"I was sent here by the Timber Wolves. They want Alpha Lukin defeated."

Anna's eyes went wide with horror as confused tears flowed freely.

In the midst of their talking Maks took a step forward, but it didn't go unnoticed.

"I warned you not to move. Please don't make me hurt her." Cassandra said, her voice becoming desperate. "She was the only one who was kind to my brother after I was locked away."

Maks watched as Anna's eyes lit up in realization.

"You're Kender's sister." She stated and then her eyes shot to Maksim, her anger evident. "I thought you were to be executed."

"If you don't want to hurt her, why do you have a knife to her neck?" he asked, ignoring his mate.

"They told me the only way to get to you was through her." Cassandra answered before addressing Anna with sad eyes. "I'm truly sorry about this. You must know that they forced my hand."

"How are they controlling you?" Maks asked. It was obvious that she didn't want to hurt anyone, but neither had he at one time. All that mattered was the desperate look on her face. It was a look he once wore back in Russia.

The look of someone who would kill.

"They have my mate." She whispered. Tears filled her eyes, but she didn't let them fall.

"They said he would be returned to me as soon as news spread about your death." Cassandra laughed a dry laugh as she continued. "I am no fool. The true exchange will be my life for his because as soon as you are dead, your pack will kill me."

Maks nodded. He realized how similar their situations were. Both willing to do anything for their other half.

It was a deadly combination.

"You must know what I will ask of you by now, Alpha Lukin."

"I do."

"I'm giving you the same ultimatum that was dealt to me." Cassandra said, her voice robotic. "Your life, in exchange for hers."

Anna watched in horror as her attacker pulled a dagger from her belt and threw it at Maksim's feet.

"It's laced with Wolfsbane." She explained, for one small dagger could not kill a shifter. "I'm not dumb enough to try and do it myself. I know the moment I get close enough, you will surely snap my neck for threatening your mates life."

Maksim picked up the dagger and turned it in his hand. Sure enough, the scent of Wolfsbane hit his nose.

It was a beautiful plant, but deadly to his kind.

He looked up when he heard Anna's voice.

"Don't even think about it." She whispered, her eyes shimmering.

"You have no choice." Cassandra warned. "I will kill her. Not because I want to, but because, like you, I have no other choice. We both know what one will do for their mate."

"Once the poison makes contact with your bloodstream, you will have several minutes left. Perhaps, you could use that time to say your goodbyes. Believe me when I say, I will not hurt her after it is over."

Maksim said nothing in response. He couldn't see a way around their situation. The only way he could truly keep Anna safe was to do exactly what Cassandra asked of him.

He could already tell that the shewolf was a trained fighter. If he made a move towards her, she would be able to slit Anna's throat before he could reach her and that wouldn't do.

 Perhaps he could just by some time and allow her to think he was giving in.

"Do I have your word that you won't hurt her?" Maksim asked, to which Anna inhaled sharply, disbelief in her eyes.

How could Maks be giving up so easily? He survived wars and torture, but now he was ready to give up?

"Of course. The Luna's kindness towards my brother means a lot to me. I hate that I am repaying her this way." 

Anna couldn't help but to agree. This was all her fault. 

If she hadn't befriended Kender, none of this would be happening, and Cassandra would be dead.

Not threatening Maksim's life.

Tears filled Anna's eyes. This all seemed so surreal. It was only moments ago, she was having a picnic with her mate, while joking and laughing.

Now, he was being asked to kill himself while a knife is held to her throat.

How unlucky were they? Just as things seemed to be going well.

"After this is over, you will surrender to my Beta. That is the deal." Maksim bargained.

Before he could receive an answer, Niklaus came into his vision. He was creeping towards them from the back gate.

"You have my word." She answered.

Now, Nik was closer, but he knew they needed more time.

"If anything happens to her-"

As he spoke, Maks could see the wheels turning in Cassandra's mind. Her brows were furrowed as she eyed him suspiciously.

"You're stalling." She said in realization before quickly moving to the side with Anna, to gain a better view of her surroundings. 

Sometimes paranoia has its advantages.

When she saw Niklaus a hundred feet away, Cassandra panicked. She had done well just to keep one Alpha at bay. Her plan wouldn't work much longer with his beta here to help. 

She was left with only one option. If she killed Anna, perhaps that would leave the alpha vulnerable to an attack. Maybe the Timber Wolves would be leniant and spare her mate's life.

It was her only chance at freeing her mate.

Maksim watched as Cassandra pushed the knife into Anna's neck, making it obvious that she would keep her word.

Her plans were ruined and now she would take his mate's life.

At the sight of blood, Maksim didn't hesitate before plunging the dagger into his own flesh. 

Anna's scream forced him to look down at his stomach where he could see the bloody handle peeking out from his torn shirt.

"Oh God!" Anna cried.

Once Cassandra realized that she got what she wanted, the she-wolf kept her word.

She released her hold on Anna, let go of the knife, and dropped to her knees in surrender.

As soon as she was free, Anna ran to Maksim's side.

His stomach was oozing thick blood and he was now white as a sheet.

"I'm okay." He cooed, attempting to ease her tears. "Really."

"No, you aren't. Not this time, Maks." she cried, as she helped him support himself.

She looked up at him through tears and saw the smile he offered her. It was meant to be reassuring, but she could see the pain behind it. 

"I need to lay down." Maks whispered as he shook his head and stumbled back a bit. 

He would never have admitted it, but he felt dizzy and his vision was blurred.

Anna helped him to the ground and studied him worriedly. More blood poured out of his wound and sweat was now gathering on his forehead.

"Anna! How is he?" Nik asked breathlessly as he ran to them and squatted opposite from Anna.

She was so worried about Nik, she hadn't realized he had left. Cassandra was gone, too.

"Did you get her?" Maks asked, his voice growing raspier by the second.

"Yeah, I got her. She's restrained." He said softly, before turning to Anna. "We need to check his cut."

Before she could warn him, Nik ripped his friend's shirt to expose a blistering wound.

"Oh my God!" 

Anna couldn't believe her eyes. The blood surrounding the wound was thick and black. His veins were at the surface of his skin and the wound itself almost seemed to pulsate. 

Nik looked at Anna with wide, disbelieving eyes.

"Wolfsbane." 

"What can we do?" Anna asked, her body trembling. 

"I-I-"

"You can't do anything." Maks choked out. His voice was noticeably weaker and his chest was moving at a rapid pace.

He squeezed his eyes shut, as he grabbed Anna's hand beside his.

"We can't just sit here!" She screamed in fury. "There has to be something we can do!"

"Anna," Nik whispered, his eyes glassy. "There is no antidote for wolfsbane."

At his words, Anna looked between Maks and Nik in disbelief, refusing to accept what was happening.

"What are you saying?"

Before she could receive an answer, a wave of pain shot through Maksim's body, causing him to arch off the ground.

Anna held his hand tighter in an attempt to comfort him. She was scared if she touched him anywhere else, it would further his pain.

Once his discomfort subsided, Maks did his best to meet Anna's eyes, but his own vision was compromised.

"Anna" He called out in panic.

"I'm right here." She whispered, moving so his head could rest in her lap. "I'm right here."

His grip on her hand tightened as he let out a shaky breathe.

"You have to listen to me." He choked out. "This was my fault, okay? Don't you ever think it was yours."

"Stop talking like- like your about to leave me." She begged with a sob. 

She looked up at Nik, who also had tears running down his face. "Tell him he will be okay, Nik! Tell him!"

The Beta looked away from his friend with heartbroken eyes. He didn't know what to tell her. They both knew the truth, but neither wanted to say it.

Ignoring her, Maksim continued. 

"Niklaus, give me your word that you will take care of her." When no answer came, Maks repeated himself. "Niklaus."

"I give you my word." He whispered, his voice breaking. They knew each other well enough that nothing more needed to be said.

Seeming satisfied with his answer, Maksim started on Anna. 

"Please stop crying." He said softly. "I was never worth your tears."

When she began sobbing, he sighed.

"Please Anna, I don't want that to be the last sound I hear." 

"How can I, knowing this is the last time I'll hear your voice?" Anna cried as she rubbed her hand through his thick hair.

"It won't be the last time... I'll stay in your heart, just as you'll stay in mine."

"No!" She screamed. "I know how this works! My memories will fade away. Time is the enemy. With time, I won't be able to remember. Your voice, your smile, your touch. I won't remember any of it! It will be like loosing you all over again."

"Then let it fade away." He answered.

"What?" She couldn't believe what she was hearing. 

"Don't fight it. Let me fade away, Anna." he replied, weakly. "If i'm gone, it will be easier for you to find someone else, settle down, have a family."

"I want those things with you." She whispered, causing his calm demeanor to break.

He was trying to be strong for her, but when she said exactly what he was thinking, he couldn't help the tears that flowed down his face.

"I know." He whispered, sounding weak and broken. "but we weren't that lucky."

"I love you." She reminded him.

A weak smile played on his colorless lips. "And I love you."

Fear crept up Maksim's spine. He had long ago lost his sight and realized he was now growing numb.

Tears cascaded down his face as the Alpha made one last request.

"Anna, will you hold me?" He whispered. "I don't want to die alone."

With all the strength she could muster, Anna held him close to her chest, her arms encircling him.

They sat like that for what seemed like forever silently crying, their breathe mingled together.

And then only Anna's breaths were heard, her tears left to fall by themselves.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

26.8K 217 15
Oneshots for different ships and generations. Some might be gay, and if you don't ship it you don't have to read it. Warning: I'm not very good at wr...
793K 31.3K 35
"Get your hands off her. Or I will smear your fucking insides on these very walls" his eyes no longer shon the bright brown it always did. They no lo...
2.9M 100K 75
Playing a tune that I knew since I was a child. I expertly pressed the key correctly, not a single mistake. The beautiful sound coming from the grand...
7.2K 169 6
this is based on a fic What if Sirzechs was beyond limits of being a sis-con, to the point where he decided to eliminate Issei for ensuring his siste...