The Rosewood Prophecy

Av 5everbooknerd

Seven teenagers. Three survivors. One prophecy. Long ago, the elites of the kingdom of Crystallea created the... Mer

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Deciphering the Prophecy
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Epilogue

Chapter 37

42 5 0
Av 5everbooknerd

                                                                          Aaron

The days passed by quickly, bland and devoid of the usual laughter and chatter. Ashley withdrew from the rest of us, often sitting alone by the side with her knees up to her chest, rocking herself gently. I had no idea that Jason meant so much to her. It's amazing how much emotion a girl can keep hidden. Sometimes at night, before I retreated to the tent I shared with Lucian, I'd see Ashley's lone figure by our campfire, and a great sadness would fall on me. I wondered, briefly, if I were to die as suddenly and as unexpected as Jason, would anyone mourn my passing as Ashley does for Jason?

Indigo expressed her worry about Ashley to me. "Sometimes I hear her talking to herself at night," Indigo said once, when we were the only two up, keeping watch at night. "I'm so worried about her health."

"Poor Ashley. She seems so sad." I shook my head lightly and poked at our campfire with a stick. "Lucian's been acting weird lately too. He barely speaks and always looks to his side, as if expecting Jason to still be there."

"Jason's death isn't easy on any of us," Indigo sighed. "But what I'm worried about is, if Lord Victor were to tempt us as a way to break the team up, would Ashley be able to resist?"

"You mean, if Lord Victor promised her he could bring Jason back if she followed his orders?"

"Exactly. Seeing her this distraught, I'm beginning to have doubts if Ashley could resist such an offer. She loved Jason, you know." Indigo stared into the fire, looking but not seeing.

"Honestly, I don't know. I'm worried that I won't be able to resist either." I bit my bottom lip, suddenly very worried about our futures. "Ever since Jason's death, I've been so restless and worried about everything. Suddenly we seem so vulnerable, just as everyone else."

"Everything we do seem very dangerous now," Indigo agreed. "But we have to keep fighting on, right? What other choices do we have?"

We didn't speak of Ashley's probable weakness and Lucian's growing depression after that. But it was always at the back of my mind, nagging, returning to haunt my dreams in the dark and silent nights.

* * * * *

It took us three more days to arrive in the forest surrounding the base of Devil's Peak. We set up camp there, with Devil's Peak looming up above us. There was no sign of Lord Victor, except for the occasional sighting of guards or Evils. Our camp was shifted back into the depths of the forest to avoid being seen. How I missed Jason's elemental powers! He would've been able to plant a grove of tall trees around our campsite, blocking us from harm. But now all we had was shadows and bushes that we can't move.

We spent another day scouting the area, searching for a way up. There was a narrow trail carved into the side of the mountain, spiraling up to the top. We couldn't see that high up, but Rachel predicted that Lord Victor's stronghold was inside the mountain, carved from magic.

"All we need to do is to follow the trail up to the top. There has to be a door or an entrance of some sort. Bypass the guards, and then we'll be in to rescue Katherine," said Indigo, looking at the sketch Rachel made of Devil's Peak. A small X was drawn at the top, marking the entrance.

"Sounds easy. So, who's going?" Lucian asked. We looked at each other.

"I say we send two people. If we all go, it'll be easier to be spotted." Rachel said.

"I volunteer." Ashley spoke up for the first time in days. We all looked at her.

"Are you sure?" Indigo creased her brows worriedly. "I mean, didn't you say—that is, what if Lord Victor—?"

"I need to go on this mission," Ashley interrupted. "I couldn't save Jason back in the Desederium Forest, but Katherine still has hope. I want to save her the way I could've saved Jason. Please, let me help rescue my best friend."

"But Lord Victor—" Indigo started again. Ashley waved her off.

"I can resist. I know that I can. After all, like you said: No one can raise the dead." Ashley leveled her gaze at Indigo, strong but pleading. Indigo gazed back, conflicted.

"I'll go too then. That way I can help if anything happens." Indigo finally said. Ashley shook her head.

"No, no, Indigo, you're the leader, you can't go. What if something happens to you?"

"That's right," I agreed. "I'll go instead. My wind powers might come in handy up there."

"No, I abdicated, I gave my leadership position to Aaron," Indigo argued. "Aaron, you stay, I'll go."

"Why don't both of you stay, and I'll go," Rachel volunteered.

Ashley shook her head. "It's too dangerous. We need your healing powers, so you can't go."

"I'll go then," offered Lucian. "I'm not a leader nor do I have very important powers."

"No, Lucian, you have to stay." I looked at him. "You're my best friend, and the only buddy I have left. I can't let you go on this dangerous mission. I can't watch another friend put their life on the line."

"I can't watch you die either! I'm not saying that this is suicide, but do you know how dangerous this mission is?" Lucian argued. "And you're the leader! You can't go!"

"If all of you say I'm the leader then I'm going to act like one! I have to go risk my neck, not any of you! I have to be the one to lead the mission and set an example for everyone!" I exclaimed in frustration. They all stopped arguing and looked at me. I took a deep breath and continued.

"If I'm truly the leader now, then you will all do as I say. And I say that the two people to go on this mission are Ashley and me. The rest of you will stay here. Is that understood?"

Indigo looked like she was ready to argue. Lucian was absolutely fuming. But no one said anything. After a long silence, Indigo lowered her piercing gaze.

"Yes."

I hated doing this to my friends. I didn't want to use my position to force my friends into agreeing. But I also didn't want them to get hurt, and this was the only way to make sure they wouldn't argue with me any longer. We all knew how dangerous this rescue mission is. We're going to be sneaking into Lord Victor's stronghold when he invited us. It could very well be a trap.

"Should we go right now? I mean, we already spent almost a week trying to get here and then scouting the area. Who knows what Lord Victor is doing to Katherine up there?" Ashley spoke up. I nodded.

"That's a good idea. We'll leave right now."

"Shouldn't you wait until next morning?" Indigo tugged on my sleeve as I turned away to pack. "It's already mid-morning; would you have enough time today?"

"We should go as soon as possible," Ashley said before I could say anything. "We already spent too much time on the road."

"That's true, but..." I was still unsure.

"You know how frail Katherine was; if we leave her up there any longer, who knows what might happen?" Ashley persisted. "We don't even know if Lord Victor already tortured her or something. What if something happens to Katherine too?" Her voice cracked at the end, betraying her worry. I nodded, worry creasing my brows. Katherine was unfit to fight; her wounds would keep her from moving around properly for at least another month.

"Alright. We'll leave right now. Get your things, Ashley, and we'll be off." I nodded at Ashley, who disappeared into her tent to grab a few necessary items. Likewise, I went into the tent I shared with Lucian to pack. Pulling out an extra satchel—also enchanted with magic—from my pack, I stuffed in some food and water, a first aid kit, and a couple daggers. Surveying all the items in my magical backpack, I pulled out Augustus' cloak and tied it around my neck.

"What might Katherine need?" I wondered out loud. I stepped out of my tent and went over to the girls' tent, grabbing Katherine's pack that was placed near the opening. Riffling through the contents, I didn't see anything that needed to be packed, but a gut feeling strongly urged me to bring along Katherine's bow and arrows and an extra set of clothes. I felt silly as I walked out, because we were going to come back to the campsite so we obviously didn't need all of these things. However, something was telling me to pack all of these, so I did.

"Ready?" Ashley approached me. I nodded, and she began heading towards the edge of our campsite.

"Wait." Rachel stopped me and handed me a small bag. "These contain shatterproof vials and jars with various poultices and mixtures to treat different wounds, along with some bandages. If Katherine's wound is still hurting, apply the one in the green jar."

"Thanks." I took it, but gave her a quizzical look. "But we're coming back. Why would we need these?"

Rachel looked at me with a look I couldn't decipher. "Just in case," she finally said. A pause. Then, softer, she said, "Last night, I had a dream that something bad was going to happen. And after Jason's death, I couldn't help but always be on edge. If something were to happen, maybe...maybe..."

Rachel didn't finish, but I understood. This mission was becoming more and more ominous. Jason's death has cast its shadow over the rest of us, and we couldn't seem to shake it off.

As Rachel stepped back, Indigo took her place. Her gaze swept over my face, as if memorizing it. "Let me fix your cloak." Her hands undid the hastily tied cloak and began to fasten them correctly around my neck. As I stood there, I suddenly realized that Indigo had to stand on her tip-toes to do this, and even so, her head only came up to my chin. I'm taller than Indigo now. We used to be about the same height. I don't know why, but this epiphany caused a swell of bitter-sweetness to well up in my heart. I swallowed the lump in my throat as Indigo dropped back down and looked over me once more. Her hand brushed off a leaf that had fallen onto the cloak.

"Please be careful," Indigo said worriedly. "Don't do anything foolish, alright?"

"Don't worry. We'll get Katherine and come back." I told her.

"Even if Lord Victor was standing right in front of you, just leave him and come back safely," Indigo continued. "We can deal with Lord Victor later. Just come back safely, all three of you."

"I will. I promise." I reassured Indigo. "We'll be back before you know it."

The autumn wind swept through our campsite, stirring up leaves and shaking the trees. In that moment, Indigo looked so vulnerable, and so worried. I had the sudden urge to take both of her hands in mine, or hug her, just something to tell her that I'll be okay. This was becoming more and more like a farewell before a mission I'll never come back from. Not a good sign for an already perilous operation.

I beckoned Lucian over. "Lucian, take care of them, alright? You're going to be the only man left here; don't let any harm come to the girls, okay?"

Lucian cracked a smile. "Of course. Just, Aaron, you be safe too, alright? Don't make us worry."

I nodded, then placed my hand on his shoulder and lowered my voice. "This mission shouldn't take more than twenty-four hours. If by this time tomorrow we haven't returned, assume the worst and leave. Protect Indigo and Rachel, and get them to somewhere safe. Return to the Academy if you have to, and battle Lord Victor there. Don't attempt a rescue, understand?" Lucian jerked up, his eyes full of panic.

"Aaron, don't say that. Nothing's going to happen to you and Ashley!"

"I know. But just in case, you know?" I calmed Lucian down and continued in a low voice. "I don't want Indigo to worry, but if something does happen, it's up to you to make sure she's okay. You're my only guy friend left, and I know this is a lot to ask for, but you're the only one I trust."

Lucian met my gaze with pain in his eyes. "You can trust me, Aaron. I won't fail you." I nodded solemnly and patted his shoulder.

"Okay everyone, we're leaving now. In my absence, I leave Indigo as the leader," I addressed the group. "If the Evils start venturing out, relocate to somewhere safe. Leave marks, and we'll find you guys again. Until then, see you all later." With what I hope was a reassuring smile, I waved goodbye and turned to follow Ashley out of the campsite.

Before the bushes blocked all view of our camp, I looked back to see Indigo standing there alone, looking straight at me and mouthing something.

Please be careful.

* * * * *

Ashley seemed very tense as we approached Devil's Peak. I couldn't blame her; I was pretty nervous too. Darting behind trees and skirting around the edge of the forest, we snuck to the bottom of the trail. Thankfully, no guards were lounging around outside, so we accessed the path without any problems.

"If anyone comes down the path, either I stun him or you blow him off the mountain," Ashley said firmly. "We can't let anyone alert Lord Victor of our presence." I agreed. Now was not the time to be nice. I learned a long time ago that in this world, it was to kill or be killed.

We crept up the trail cautiously, alert to any signs of movement or sounds above. The winding trail was steep and precarious. Before long I was panting for breath and my legs were aching. We stopped a few times to catch our breaths, and I found myself peering down at the surrounding forest in search of our friends.

Strangely—but fortunately—we made it all the way up without any resistance. Hiding behind an outcrop, I peered around the corner. Like Rachel had predicted, there was indeed a door built into the rocky wall. The grayish rock extended overhead and continued up, but the trail ended here. Anything above where we were standing was a mystery. We were not at the peak, but we had found the entrance we were looking for.

Two guards were posted outside, each with a spear in hand. Two unlit torches hung on the wall next to them. I shrank back behind the rock. "What do we do now?" I whispered to Ashley. "Should we take them down?"

"That might cause too much commotion," Ashley said, peeking around the rock herself. "Maybe we can distract them somehow."

I thought for a bit. "Can you do an invisibility spell to cover both of us?"

"Yes. What are you planning to do?" Ashley asked.

"I'm going to distract them with my wind power. Then you'll hide us while we run to the door and get in. You think you can do this?"

Ashley nodded. "I'm ready when you are."

Taking a deep breath, I summoned a small breeze. It blew over the guards, messing up their hair. A few seconds later, a slightly stronger wind followed, making any loose clothing flap. It slowly gained strength, until a sudden gust aimed at the guard on the far left swept him off his feet, sending him careening off mountain. Of course, I didn't blow him completely off, just enough so that he was dangling from the edge. His companion abandoned his spear and rushed to his comrade's aid, trying to pull him up.

In the confusion, I nodded to Ashley, and she casted her spell. "Obscuro." We ran out from behind the rock and headed towards the door. It was an arched double door, and painted black, with two large circular brass handles. Praying that it wasn't locked, I grabbed one and pulled. It didn't budge. I tried pushing. The door stayed shut.

To the side, the guard was clambering up with the help of his friend. I began to sweat nervously. "Ashley, it's locked!" I hissed. Ashley pointed a finger at the door. "Aperio." I pulled on the brass handles again. The door creaked open.

"Hurry, get in!" I ushered Ashley in and slipped in after her, closing the door behind us. Leaning against the cool metal frame, I waited for my vision to adjust to the sudden dimness and my heart to stop beating so fast.

Torches lined the wall, their flames flickering. A corridor stretched out in front, with a side hall branching off about fifty steps in. The ceiling extended above our heads, dipping down in some places and arching at others. Rachel was right again: Lord Victor had obviously carved his stronghold into the mountain with magic.

Ashley pushed herself off the door frame and ventured into the corridor, stopping at the right angle where the two halls connected. "Which way do you think we should go?" I whispered. The place was too silent; any noise would echo throughout the corridors, which would then alert all the guards.

"This way," Ashley started down the side passageway. "No one puts their prison cells in the main hallway."

I followed her, always keeping an eye out for guards. Once, at an intersection, we heard footsteps marching down a parallel hall. I yanked Ashley behind the wall and we stayed there, our hearts in our mouths, until the footsteps faded away. Ashley was looking paler and paler with each passing minute. I was sure my expression hovered somewhere between fear and nervousness.

We snuck down hallway after hallway, always peeking around the corner before darting out into the next passageway. "Prison cells should be somewhere in the lower levels," Ashley muttered. "Or at least somewhere off to the side." I followed her wordlessly, trusting that her instincts were better than mine. After all, Ashley was a spellmaster; she should be able to sense things better than me.

Strangely, we didn't encounter any patrols on our way, save for the occasional footsteps we heard. We didn't physically see anyone, human or monster. I thought ourselves lucky; at least we didn't have to fight for our lives.

Ashley halted at a T-intersection. I nearly barreled into her. "What's wrong?" I asked in a hushed voice. Ashley shook her head, her face taking on a sickly sheen. I bet this place was giving her the creeps; it was certainly making me feel trapped and sick. My heart was beating at an abnormal rate. The possibility of being caught any second was making me jumpier by the second.

I peered down the corridor, checking left and right for guards. All clear. "Where do we go?" I asked Ashley. She pointed left, but remained leaning against the rocky wall. I furrowed my brow. "Are you alright?"

"I'm okay, just feeling a bit...nauseous," Ashley forced a smile. "I don't like this place. It's making me feel claustrophobic. But on the bright side, just a few more turns and we should reach the prison cells."

I nodded, agreeing. "I'll go in front this time, okay? You should get a rest from leading the way. It's less stressful if you're following someone."

Something like guilt flickered in Ashley's expression. "Don't worry, just follow behind," I reassured her. "No need to feel bad."

I started down the left side, our footsteps echoing softly throughout. Rocky walls with occasional veins of quartz or mica stretched on either side of me, making the passageway seem longer than it actually was.

I followed the path as it curved to the right, and then split into two. I looked back at Ashley, and she pointed left again: "We should be arriving there soon." I could feel a slight cold draft coming from that side; could it be the prison cells? Ashley did say they would be at the lower levels. Suddenly excited, I hurried down the designated path. It curved to the right, and then to the left, before turning sharply to the right. I walked briskly around the corner, sure that I would find the prison cells, only to see a blank wall at the end of a ten meter hall.

"What?" I said aloud in disbelief. I jogged down the length of the hall, scanning the walls and touching the jagged rocks in search of any hidden mechanisms. Shouldn't the prison cells be here? Didn't Ashley say we were here?

"Hey, Ashley, I think we went the wrong way," I said softly, looking over the walls once more, just in case. "This is a dead end. Maybe you got one of the turns mixed up somewhere?"

No answer. I turned around to see an empty hallway behind me. "Ashley?" I called out quietly. "Ashley? Where are you?"

Still no response. Dread was pooling at the bottom of my gut. Something bad happened. Something happened to Ashley. She was right there, behind me all this time. Where could she have gone?

I stepped carefully back around the corner, searching for any signs of a struggle or any guards. Alarm bells were blaring in my head, screaming danger. My heart was pounding in my ears.

A sound in the dead end behind me nearly scared me out of my wits. I spun around and pulled out my sword in one fluid motion, falling into my battle stance. No one. Just the barren walls with the tiny rocks jutting out on the surface. But I swore I heard something...

A large something barreled into me from behind, knocking me flat to the ground and the wind from my lungs. My sword flew out of my hand. I struggled, but something already stung the exposed skin of my neck. My vision faded to black.

Fortsett å les

You'll Also Like

562 37 32
(Book one of the Great Prophecy series. This story takes place in a fantasy setting, but with contemporary characteristics.) The Prophecy calls... it...
175K 7.3K 46
15+ age due to blood. Completed! Young, and unique. Rose, is her name. She is the most loving person anyone can meet. There are those who're jealous...
232 16 10
The guardians banished the gods from the Dei Realm centuries ago, prosperity and peace growing in the absence of their chaos. As the years passed, th...
124 9 40
Rodalya barely escaped the Luxillian army. Silus finds comfort in nature. Maxwell is the only survivor in his kingdom. Omsya is on the run. Chasus is...