Our Alternate Ending | | A Po...

By iamourship

Subsequent to their journey through Kalos, another unexpected one begins. One that draws heartache from heart... More

Prologe
Chapter 1- Our Ultimatum
Chapter 2- Stay with Me
Chapter 3- Battle Cries
Chapter 4- A Suns Orbit
Chapter 5- The Love Whisperer
Chapter 6- Candecent Moons
Chapter 7- Seeking Rivals
Chapter 8- To Fear A Painted Flame
Chapter 9- Crule Like You
Chapter 10- Firelight
Chapter 11- Cobalt Ties
Chapter 12- The Trill of the Race
Chapter 13- Shattered Glass
The Elevator Chapter
Chapter 15- Laughing With Troubles
Chapter 16- Earlybird In Worry
Chapter 17- To Fall Like An Angel
Chapter 18- Wild Eyes
Chapter 19- Cry Wolf
Chapter 20- Playing Cupid
Chapter 21- Tainted With Poison
Chapter 22- Sheens of Gold
Chapter 23- Painstaking
Chapter 24- Like Studded Diamonds
Chapter 25- Me in Your Wildest Dreams
Chapter 26- Natures Crown
Chapter 27- Their Bad Blood
Chapter 29- Trailing Scars
Chapter 30- Qualifyed Love Experts
Chapter 31- Cours d'Amour
Chapter 32- Cosmo Children
Chapter 33- Scream
Chapter 34- Illuminating With Lanterns
Chapter 35- Our Nostalgia (Part 1)
Chapter 35- Our Nostalgia (Part 2)
Chapter 36- The Tearling
Chapter 37- The Art Of A Queen
Chapter 38- When Things Look Up
Chapter 39- When Things Fall Down
Chapter 40- An Abundance Of Tears
Chapter 41- Crys of a Broken Girl
Chapter 42- Carving Dreams
Chapter 43- A Queen's Tale
Chapter 44- Bitter Blue
Chapter 45- Three Bright Paths
Chapter 46- Beauteous Storms
Chapter 47- Bleeding Black
Chapter 48- With Every Ounce Of My Fractured Heart
Epilogue
G O O D B Y E
Sequel: Fame Through The Fire

Chapter 28- Bottled Sunshine

1.3K 48 22
By iamourship

We had been instructed to stay the night, or as long as it took Ash to recover. I simply agreed with a nod of my head. Annabelle and Elaina attended to Ash's wounds while I was told to sleep. My friend lead me to her room, with some protesting on my behalf. I wanted to help Ash, but once I felt the soft vintage pillow against my neck, sleep engulfed me shortly.

At first, my slumber was deep and untroubled. It was dreamless and ultimately pleasant. But by 2:00 am, I was restless and wide awake. Elaina had come in during the early hours of night and took the spot next to me on her queen sized bed. When I awoke, I couldn't help but notice that her warmth had vanished and the silk duvet had been pushed away on her side. I was completely alone in the darkness.

Much like the rest of the house, Elaina's room was old fashioned with yellowed floral wallpaper and a hand carved oak headboard. An antique mirror was set up in the bottom right corner and a white vanity flourished with old jewelry in the left. It looked like something pulled straight out of a 1930s movie, stocked with little knacks and furniture that were fashionable many years ago.

Everything was washed in darkness and the house stood in an eery silence. I sat up on the springy mattress and drank in my midnight sunken surroundings. My mind wondered to the whereabouts of my friend who appeared to have vanished. With curiosity bubbling within, I swung myself out of bed and began navigating my way to the door.

Every light was out so mapping through the corridors was difficult. On top of that, I wasn't exactly sure where I was going. I simply looked for anything that suggested my friend was near. All that could be heard were my bare feet tapping against the floor. Moonlight drifting through musty window panes was my only source of guidance. My fingers trailed along the timber walls to keep my path straight and the bitterness of the night nipped at my exposed skin.

I rounded a corner mindlessly and came to a closed door with white light seeping out the edges. Whoever occupied it appeared to be awake. I approached it wearily. When my nose was practically pressed against the splintering wooden exterior, I turned the brass nob and let the bright light engulf me. After my eyes adjusted, I saw the last thing I expected.

A familiar golden haired girl stood at the foot of a twin sized bed, her back to me. Elaina gazed upon a raven haired boy who was wrapped up in blankets on the bed, still unresponsive. At the sound of the door opening, Elaina spun around with an alarmed expression. When her eyes fell on me she relaxed and a sad smile perked her lips but no words came out. Large lilac circles ringed her eyes and exhaustion caked each feature. Her teal-green orbs had lost their spark and her hair was a wild mane rimming her facial structure.

I stood next to her and gazed at Ash. He looked better than he had when I last saw him, which was good. But the boy was patched in bandages from head to toe. Thankfully, his expression was more peaceful now then it had been yesterday. Ash's skin was pasty and unnaturally paler than usual and Pikachu slept soundly across the jet haired boy's abdomen. Somehow, Elaina had managed to convince her mother to let the Pokemon inside the house.

A few moments of aching silence passed as we both stared at Ash, watching the rhythmic rise and fall of his chest and reminding ourselves that he was still breathing. If only I was watching him, I could have caught him before he fell. But I was too engrossed with my own thoughts. What was once the perfect moment to confess became the worst in a split second.

"Is he okay?" I whispered, careful not to disturb the quiet atmosphere too much.

"He will be fine. My mum said he should wake up sometime tomorrow morning, then we will see how he is from there. His injuries are mostly minor and they'll heal in a couple weeks. Needed three stitches on his forearm, but that's it." she informed me in an equally as soft tone.

"How long have you been awake? You came to bed earlier but when I woke up, you were gone." I asked curiously, peering at the perplexed blonde girl.

"A few hours. I helped my mother put some disinfecting ointments on Ash's wounds but then she instructed me to leave. She said I couldn't be present as she put the stitches in. Of course, I fought with her over it then she sent me to bed. I wanted to make sure Ash was okay, so I came here once everyone had fallen asleep. Guess I've lost track of time now." Elaina answered. I studied the large bags under her eyes with concern and was about to suggest she get some sleep before she spoke again. "Surprisingly, I entered to see that my mother had let Pikachu inside. It's something I thought she was incapable off."

"Speaking of your mother, when I arrived back here yesterday, you were all in the back garden and the conversation seemed tense. Was everything alright?" I wondered out loud. A small smile perked up the edges of Elaina's lips as she recalled the memory.

"Everything was fine. We went outside after Aron and I convinced our parents to let us introduce them to our Pokemon. My mother so nearly touched Pikachu, not willingly as such but intensional all the same. It was a magical moment, although cut short by more important matters. A huge step forward, regardless." My friend explained with a brightened face that washed away some symptoms of exhaustion.

"I'm so happy for you! You're parents will get there eventually. Never give up on them, they may be stubborn but so are you." I pulled the grinning blonde girl into a side hug. She laid her head on my shoulder and let out a small yawn.

"Yeah, but it will take a little more than that to turn my parents views around." She whispered.

"Worry about that tomorrow, why don't you get some sleep? You look really tired." I suggested but Elaina shook her head in protest and a pout formed on her lips.

"No I want to stay here with A-"

"Elaina, you'll be so tired tomorrow if you don't get some sleep now." I warned, not wanting to deal with a bitter Elaina the next day.

"But I-"

"Nope, you may argue with your mother but not with me. Bed. Now." I deadpanned. Her purplish skin concerned me and I knew she needed sleep in order to rid herself of it.

"Yes mom." My friend rolled her eyes sarcastically, finally giving in "But what about you?"

"I've slept a good amount. Don't worry, I'll stay here with Ash and make sure he's alright." I reassured her. Elaina lifted her head off my shoulder with a sigh, reluctant to leave the room.

"Fine, if you say so. Goodnight." She responded in a tone that was induced with exhaustion. Silently, she walked up to Ash's prone body. The golden haired girl searched his limp features for any sign of waking one last time. She lifted a gentle hand and brushed it against the side of his face, fingers lingering on his jawline. "Goodnight" she muttered again, but this time it was directed wholly at Ash.

Without another word, Elaina exited the room, shaking her head and closing the door firmly shut behind her. Once I was alone, everything was silent. My eyes trekked up Ash's body, drinking in the many bandages and bruises that were scattered across his limbs. I walked to the side of his bed, my eyes never leaving him, in fear that he would move the second I turned away. I took one of his lifeless hands in mine. Even though he was as still as stone, his palm was warm.

I'm not sure how long I stood there, gazing at him. Time slipped my mind. Everything around me stopped, for what seemed like hours. I became increasingly more tired, even though I had already slept my required amount. My chin rested on the mattress as my eyelids flickered open and closed. My legs were tucked beneath me on the timber floor and my hand still laced in Ash's. I was perfectly comfortable, so after a while, I passed out into a deep sleep.

*. *. *. *.

"Serena?" Someone cooed in my ear. I groaned in an unattractive manner, still sleep induced. "Serena!" The person shouted a little louder, causing me to awake with a start.

"Yes? What?" I asked groggily, searching the foreign light flooded room. I laid face down on a twin sized bed, my legs crossed on the floor. Beams of sunlight drifted through the window pane, illuminating the place in a warm glow. It was an old fashioned room with polished wooden walls and large draping embroidery.

I peered up to see Ash smiling at me. The sunlight danced in his auburn eyes like a million dollar show. A bandage was strapped to the left side of his forehead but it didn't take away from the fact that he was breathtaking in this lighting.

The yellow mouse Pokemon was still asleep on the pillow. Small squeals could be heard as it exhaled. Pikachu looked exhausted and deep in slumber.

"Good morning." He whispered, chuckling slightly under his breath. I quickly ran my fingers through my hair and attempted to tame my wild mane. Strands stuck to my face like plaster and stuck out in various directions. I must have looked awful, like some kind of honey haired monster, looking desperately into my crushes eyes.

"Ash, you're awake?" I murmured, just loud enough for him to hear.

"Uh..yeah, I think so." He answered, his gorgeous smile widening.

"I'm so glad you're okay!" I cried, bringing the raven haired boy into a bone crushing hug. His heated skin tingled under mine but I was relived knowing that he was now able to wrap his arms around me. Ash was rigid as I embraced him, every muscle tensing where I touched. But I was too overcome with joy to care, nor did I think about the consequences of my actions.

"Serena...that hurts." Ash croaked out and I immediately jumped back, not wanting to be the cause of his pain.

"Oh, sorry. What about your scraps, do they hurt? And your head, are you sure you're alright?" I asked frantically, pulling his face into my left hand so I could examine the damage in detail. Small scratches scared every other inch of his skin but they were nothing major. Ash sighed in my hand as I clenched his jaw.

"I'm fine, Serena. Just a little sore, that's all." He replied through a squished teeth frame. I finally let go of his face, looking down at the ground sorrowfully.

"I'm sorry Ash, if only I was facing you while I blabbed on I could have caught you before you fell." I whispered, still annoyed at myself for being too caught up in my own feelings.

"You did nothing wrong Serena. Absolutely nothing. You never could have anticipated what happened and no one expected you to. I don't blame you for anything, so don't blame yourself." He told me gently, and I did feel a little better, but I was still annoyed with myself. I nodded in reply, pursing my lips and remembering the previous day.

"Speaking of yesterday, do you remember what I told you? Right before you fell?" I wondered hesitantly. I told Ash I loved him. Blurted the words out for everyone to hear. After he fell, the confession became a distant memory, more important matters took over. But now he was awake, fully okay, his reaction scared me to the core.

"You were telling me about the boy you love. I remember something about his crazy eating habits and his love of Pokemon, but after that, I don't recall anything. Sorry." He apologized, searching his brain for any memories of the conversation.

"No need to apologize, it's alright." I whispered. He didn't remember. He still didn't know that I loved him. It took mountains of courage to confess and I wasn't sure I would ever be able to muster up enough again.

"Was it something important?" He inquired, noticing my grief stricken face.

"N-no. N-nothing I-important at all." I replied, trying to pull a fake smile on to my lips but I was finding it surprisingly difficult. Ash, however, knew me well and could see straight through my acting. He could read the sadness in my eyes.

"Serena, if there's something you want to tell me-" the jet haired boy was interrupted by a loud crash from elsewhere in the house. It sounded awfully close to shattering glass. Luckily, the out burst didn't wake sleeping Pikachu.

"What was that?" I questioned, raising from the ground and stretching my legs, after hours of them being tucked beneath me. Ash perked up too, eyeing the door like the culprit would jump out any second.

"I'm not sure. We should probably go investigate. But I won't forget this, we'll talk about it later." He told me with a stern look. I just nodded, dreading the conversation.

We both made our way out the door and into the labyrinth of corridors that was the siblings house. Ash and I tip-toed across the floor, both of us taking turns guessing what route to take.

"I think the crash came from the kitchen." I theorized as we rounded another corner. Ash nodded briefly, raven locks bouncing in his eyes.

"Shouldn't you know the way? I mean, you were fully conscious last time you walked through these halls. And you've been to the kitchen before." Ash pointed out matter-of-factly. I rolled my eyes at the immature boy.

"Stop playing the blame game, Ash. Besides, didn't Elaina give you a house tour yesterday?" I shot back. Elaina wasn't the only one who could keep up with Ash's snarky attitude. Mostly, I just didn't want to engage in such quarrels with my crush, but today, I couldn't help myself.

"Fell of a tree, remember? I don't remember any of it." Ash argued back in a smug tone that earned another eye roll from me.

Just like you can't remember that I love you...

"Excuses, excuses..." I muttered and Ash chuckled behind me. As we approached the front of the house, where the kitchen was situated, voices could be heard. They were harsh tones that were on the brink of shouting. The voices were familiar, arguments being thrown back and forth like explosives. Soon we found ourselves at the kitchen entrance, peering in with caution not to get noticed.

"How could you do this to me, again!"

"Did you see them yesterday? I can't just give up on that!"

"You can't just give up on me!"

As expected, Elaina and Aron stood in the Victorian style kitchen with angered scowls across both faces, only opening their mouths to throw an insult at the other. A chaos of glass shards were scattered by the golden haired girl's feet, elevating the situation to a new level.

"It's like a world war started in there." Ash stated in a whispered that tickled my neck. He tried to get a better view of the scene over my shoulder, squeezing his head through the crook of my neck.

"Well, why don't you go in and calm them down." I whispered back, quiet enough that the squabbling siblings wouldn't hear me. Ash made a scrunched face at the idea.

"No, I would be walking into my utmost certain death." He concluded, shaking his head vigorously in an attempt to disregard my suggestion.

"Come on Ash! Man up and go in first." I hissed as he continued to shake his head.

"I believe the saying is ladies first." He replied confidently, an obvious smugness hinted in his voice.

"Don't tell me you're scared of Elaina? That would be pretty pathetic, Ash."

"I am not scared of her! Where did you get that lewd idea from? Besides, you're her best friend, she'll listen to you."

"And you're her training partner, you should know how to calm her down when she's worked up."

"Stop playing the blame game, Serena"

"I will not tolerate this, Ash Ketchum!" I cried, as loud as a whisper would let me. With one forceful tug of his hand, I pushed Ash onto the crime scene. Unfortunately, he was quick to react, clenching my hand in his and taking me with him.

As we both stumbled into the kitchen, Elaina and Aron went silent, eyes widening in alarm due to the fact that they had been caught. For a minuet, we all just stared at each other with mouths agape and lost for words. Eventually, Elaina managed to get some sound to roll off her tongue.

"Serena..." She said in shame, her head hanging low. After that, I pulled myself together and began trying to fix the situation.

"What happened here?" I asked, drinking in the shattered glass and faces that were red from anger. Elaina and Aron looked at each other, having a silent conversation and trying to piece together an answer. However, they didn't have much tolerance for each other and like little children, a game was to be won.

"He started it!"

"She started it!"

They both shouted in unison, pointing an accusing finger at the other. Ash and I looked between the pair with disbelieving expressions. I sighed and Elaina attempted to make her way to me, but I cut her short.

"Watch out for the glass!" I warned and she paused mid step.

"Oh, oops. Forgot about that." She exclaimed honestly, attempting to navigate her way around the danger.

"What did you break?" I questioned raising an eyebrow at the golden blonde who was unsuccessfully sidestepping the glass shards.

"It was just a glass and I accidentally dropped it, honest!" She defended herself, throwing her arms in the air with surrender.

"Are you sure you didn't throw it at Aron?" Ash inquired in a teasing manor. Elaina snarled at him, causing the dark haired boy to rear back.

"She was being over dramatic." Aron stated in a monotone, his arms crossed over his chest with impatience.

"How els did you expect me to react after telling me that! Did you think I would just hold onto the glass?!" Elaina yelled at her brother, her arms flailing about in her hysterics.

"Yes! Like a normal person!" Aron shouted back.

"Whoa, hold up. What did Aron tell you?" I questioned before the argument could escalate any further.

"He's decided to stay here with our parents. He doesn't want to travel with us anymore." Elaina sulked as she tugged at the edges of her sundress. The girl's eyes had glassed over as if she was on the brink of breaking down.

"You want to stay and help your parents accept Pokemon?" I asked Aron in a general tone that seemed to calm the situation a little.

"Exactly. See? Serena understands." The new trainer said while glaring at his sister.

"But she's not your sister! She didn't spend two years trying to convince our parents to allow us to leave this house! How? How can you come back so easily? How could you give up on everything we fought for?" Elaina croaked, a small tear etching down her cheek, but she quickly brushed it away and replaced her broken look with a hard one.

"Don't cry Elaina-" Ash started but he was soon cut off.

"I don't cry!" She exclaimed, her face now completely emotionless.

"I'm not giving up on anything we fought for! I refuse to give up my Pokemon, even if it makes mum and dad uncomfortable. Chespin, Cydaquil and I will continue to train while we are here. We fought for our right to Pokemon and I'm not breaking that in any way! All I want is for mum and dad to be able to experience it with us. If we both leave now, they'll go back to being stubborn and hateful. You saw how close mum was to touching Pikachu yesterday, there's still hope for them! I can't pass up an opportunity like this!" Aron argued, plunging the room into silence. My friend scanned her brother with reluctance, knowing that he had a fair point.

"Aron's right, you were so content last night. I want you to be happy like that again Elaina." I told the girl softly. Her lips quivered as she tried to summon the words to say.

"But Leon..." Was all she managed.

"I know, Leon's already left us to achieve his dream. But you said yesterday that you wanted mum and dad to understand, so please, let me do this. You'll be more than fine with Ash and Serena. You can still travel and train the way you always wanted. Promise I'll call you every time I can." Aron told his sister, pleading for her approval.

"I know I'll be fine with Ash and Serena. That's not my concern. I just always thought that I would be journeying with you." She said in a hoarse voice. "B-but, if t-that's what y-you really want."

"Wait, I'm confused. You said something about Pikachu?" Ash asked with puzzlement written on his face like the headline of a newspaper.

"Oh shut up, Ash!"

*.              *.                 *.                 *.     

We only had a few hours before the bisque colored sun sunk behind the horizon. Only mere hours before we would have to set up camp somewhere in the Kalos forest. We had eaten lunch then packed up our things to set off on our journey again. Annabelle was overjoyed to hear that Aron would be staying home, but rather unsure about his reasons. Surprisingly, the siblings dad, who's name I still hadn't learned, waved us a goodbye as we exited the front door.

Currently, we were gathered on the porch that was still littered with Annabelle's flower pots. Aron hugged his sister briefly, but the two were still too stubborn to admit how much they would miss the other.

"Don't break your promise dimwit, or els, I'll have to fight with you for two years straight." Elaina warned as she pulled away from the embrace. Aron chuckled then muttered a last goodbye to her. On his way inside he paused right beside me, leaning over so his hushed words could reach my ear.

"Try not to spy on him too much, that can be creepy, you know?" The blonde boy whispered, causing me to burst out laughing.

"Don't worry, I'll try not to." I replied back with amusement in my eyes. As Aron disappeared behind the large mahogany door, Annabelle pulled me aside. In her right hand she grasped a small brown bottle.

"Here, take this." She placed the bottle gently in my hand. "It's ointment for Ash's scratches. Put it on all his wounds everyday. It will speed up the healing process." Annabelle instructed and I nodded in understanding.

"No problem, thank you Annabelle. For everything." I told her graciously. She smiled warmly, a smile that looked somewhat familiar to me.

"Just remember Serena, don't give up until it's over." The words rolled off her tongue like they had been spoken a million times before. I was taken aback for a moment, wondering how she knew that phrase, one that was so special to me. "Well, you better be off then. I look forward to the next time we see each other." The golden haired woman ushered Ash, Elaina and I off the front porch, waving enthusiastically at us.

"Bye mum!" Elaina yelled, followed by a chorus of goodbyes from Ash and I.

Then, we disappeared underneath the shadow of trees.

____________________________________________________

I know, the whole thing with Elaina's parents being scared of touching Pokemon is very similar to Lillie from sun and moon but I promise you that when I planned this story, sun and moon wasn't out yet. Anyways, bye I've got to go swim a 5km.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

30.3K 616 23
As the Kalos gang continue to travel around the region, one little change of mind would trigger several emotional thoughts and revelations, and cause...
709K 9K 108
Ash Ketchum, with Pikachu and the rest of his Kalos team (except for Goodra & Greninja), return home to Pallet Town, where his former travelling comp...
41.7K 1.8K 34
The whole point of Travelling across the regions for Ash was to not have a boring life with a corporate job, but now, 8 years later, he has both of t...
5.6K 152 17
After conquering the Unova region, Ash Ketchum sets foot in Kalos, known as the 'region of love.' With his loyal partner and friends by his side, he...