A Thousand Encounters

By LettingYouIn

He, Disciplined! She, a beautiful chaos! He, Stalwart! She, a wanderer! He, a soldier! Sh... More

Introduction
Chapter-1
Chapter-2
Chapter-3
Chapter-4
Chapter-5
Chapter-6
Chapter-7
Chapter-8
Chapter-9
Chapter-10
Chapter-11
Chapter-12
Chapter-13
Chapter-14
Chapter-15
Chapter-16
Chapter-17
Chapter-18
Chapter-19
Chapter-20
Chapter-21
Chapter-22
Chapter-23
Chapter-24
Chapter- 25
Chapter-26
Chapter-27
Chapter-28
Chapter-29
Chapter-30
Chapter-31
Chapter-32
Chapter-33
Chapter-34
Chapter-36
Chapter-37
Chapter-38
Chapter-39
Chapter-40
Chapter-41
Chapter-42
Chapter-43
Chapter-44
Chapter-45
Chapter-46
Chapter-47
Chapter- 48
Chapter-49
Chapter-50
Chapter-51
Chapter-52
Chapter-53
Chapter-54
Chapter-55
Hola
Chapter-56
Hello there!!
Chapter-57
Chapter-58
Chapter-59
Chapter - 60
Chapter- 61
Chapter-62
Chapter-63
Chapter-64
Chapter - 65
Chapter-66
Chapter-67
Author's Note

Chapter-35

4.1K 511 80
By LettingYouIn

"She hasn't come back yet," Rishi informed Daadu checking Nandini's room at 4 in the morning.

Apparently only two persons were worried for her and couldn't sleep at all. 

"She won't come anytime soon, Rishi," Daadu informed Rishi.

"I thought you are worried," Rishi said as he came inside, "So I thought to keep a check on her for you." Rishi cleared awkwardly. He was indeed a stranger amid his family, not knowing a thing about them. 

"I am," Daadu answered briefly, sipping wine.

"Go and sleep, she isn't coming back anytime soon," Daadu said and Rishi nodded. This gap which had grown in all these years when he was abroad had distanced him from his family. He could feel the stiffness.

"If you need anything, I am in next room," Rishi tried to tell his grandpa who were looking more than distressed. He wanted to be there for him in someway.

"Sleep, Son," Daadu smiled at his concern and he left the room.

Daadu fretted over whatever happened that night and his face twitched painfully. He could see this coming. He knew his son would use Raghav's death as his weapon to tackle Manik. He had warned Manik but he proved to be weaker than he had assumed. Daadu closed his eyes trying not to blame that young boy. He was trained for battles but not these sordid mind games. Madhav had played a trick on Manik's mind and he got played. 

Daadu tried to sleep on his rocking chair forgetting the stinging topic. He prayed for her granddaughter as last thing before trying to give some rest to his mind. 

________________

Manik stared at the little contest between raindrops and hard ground as he sat in corridor. He couldn't collect courage to enter the dorm. It helped how dorm was almost empty as cadets had left for their homes when it was equally haunting. It bolted up there loud and her crying face flashed in front of his eyes for nth time. He had hurt the only person he ever had in most cruelest way. She was the first one who had gatecrashed his uptight life. She was the only one he could have. Fear was louder than those thunderbolts that where would she be with those outrageous driving talent of hers. Weather was crazy and so did she. He didn't know if he did the right thing or not, but nothing felt right in ached heart of his. It felt like he had done something very wrong. He had left her alone in storm and was now sitting there like a loser. He palmed his face. 

"What have I done?" He asked himself one more time clutching his hair in his fist. He burst out crying holding his head and it didn't matter if his sobs echoed in empty corridor. He had pushed her away when he didn't have strength to walk away. 

____________________

Nandini sat in rain on edge of cliff looking at drenched night. It was dark in and out. She wiped her tears despite they hardly existed amid raindrops. It was poring heavily. 

She didn't regret a thing in her life. She didn't think twice when she had let Manik have that big chunk of her sanity. She was this free filly who had never quivered to take leaps. She still didn't regret how she had let someone make her that weak. It was a first when she had been afraid, it was a first when she had counted seconds in anxiety when he was with her father. There was nothing which could twist her heart the way his words had done. She shouldn't have let him, she swayed in this unjust urge to turn the clock. Anger rushed in her veins as she allowed herself to ponder over it.

"Coward," She murmured closing her eyes and turned sideways to curl herself into a ball. Each her pore was aching in agony and cold, she needed him. It was brutal how he was the one who had left her hanging and only his warmth she needed to stop that pain. She cried and so did sky. It was still an hour till dawn breaks. 

__________________

"Nandini didn't come back last night," Nandini's mother said murmuring while serving breakfast to Daadu who had unwillingly joined everyone at breakfast table.

"I have no idea where she is," Daadu answered her indirect query.

"Ask your husband," He added bitterly. Rishi and Mrs Murthy looked at Madhav who was silently having his meal.

"It isn't first time she has been out entire night," Madhav said indifferently. Rishi frowned.

"You aren't concerned a bit, Dad? After all you put her through last night?" He asked unable to digest his casual approach.

"Daadu and I haven't slept whole night because we were WORRIED," He stressed on last part losing patience.

"Aren't you guys a bit too confident about a 19 year girl who was not alright when she stormed out of house?" He asked baffled.

Daadu smiled sadly and patted Rishi's back to calm him down while Mr and Mrs Murthy gaped their son in dismay. There was someone else too who had started to speak for Nandini apart from Daadu. And that too their son whom they had given all the love.

"She is way stronger than you think, Son," Daadu said to Rishi.

"You will know your little sister more," He added while getting up. Daadu asked driver to ready his ride as he walked outside.

Rishi kept staring his parents for some explanation but nothing came.

____________________

Someone caressed Manik's forehead and he smiled. He didn't realize when he fell asleep last night. He slowly opened his eyes and saw broad daylight.

"Manik," An affectionate voice called him and he looked up. Mess in charge was standing there worried. Manik stared at his face as if trying to understand something. And when he did, a sharp pang crossed his heart. Last light he had slept in corridor after... 

He couldn't even word what he had done.

"You slept here?" Kaka asked and Manik got up.

"No, I was just..." He started to answer but then stopped.

"You didn't show up for breakfast so I was worried," Kaka said.

"I am not hungry, Kaka," Manik replied with a faint smile.

"Don't skip meal in stress of results. Mrs Singh has asked me to look after you in holidays," Kaka said and Manik smiled. How he wanted to tell him he wasn't worried for results, he had ruined the most beautiful part of his life. 

Kaka left and Manik didn't even know from where to start. He had not even check if Nandini had reached home last night. He cursed himself for sleeping. He walked towards admin office only to halt.

"Do you think she would show up after what you did to her," He asked himself and then kept standing there like a statue. He was so, so lost.

One part of his mind was feeling utterly agitated thinking about how he would never see her again and other part was trying to shut the first part. Battle had already started and she was not there to work things out as she always does. 

"You are pathetic, Manik," He cursed himself as he again was listening to dysfunctional mind of his. He walked to dorm to change cloths before he heads to Murthy mansion. He needed to see if she was fine or not. He needed to end this worry to cut the last string, at least he thought so. 

____________________

Daadu's car halted at door of a wooden cottage. A dirty board tried to read as 'Bernard's'. Daadu looked at aloof cottage before starting to climb the churning stairs. His knees ached as he stood in front of a glass door. He had visited Bernard's rescue center in town as first thing to find his little hellion. It was 12 in noon and he hadn't received a single call from Nandini. His guess was right, she had gone to her dear uncle Bernard in morning and he sent her to his home seeing her state. She was drenched and had a slight fever. Daadu couldn't wait to see his little baby. He opened the door using keys which Bernard had given him. His eyes roamed around to find her but she wasn't in hall. 

He entered the little cottage and Bernard's golden retriever welcomed him with a wagging tail. Daadu patted the handsome boy and he ran to a door telling Daadu where she was. Door opened with a churn and there he saw his little devil sleeping on bed with a frown he never wanted to see. She looked so pale. Daadu bade some prayers to lord for finally able to see Nandini. 
Daadu touched her forehead carefully intending not to wake her up and his pulse jumped as soon as her hot flesh conveyed about fever. She had fever, Bernard was right. Daadu saw some medicine wrappers on side table.

"What have you done to yourself, kiddo?" He murmured and Nandini shifted in her sleep. She groped Daadu's sweater as she shifted closer to his warmth. Daadu's eyes welled up seeing her pale face.

"I missed you," She murmured. Daadu frowned thinking whom she was talking to in her sleep. Her arm wrapped around his tummy as she put her head in his lap. Doubt flew away because she could only do that with her grandpa. He stroked her head and she snuggled more into his fluffy tummy. Bernard's dog found himself a place next to Nandini. 

"Let me see your face," Daadu said trying to part her from him. She looked up at him and Daadu's heart dropped seeing her red puffy eyes. He had never seen her that vulnerable. He grabbed her face to drop an assuring peck on her head. She was hardly being able to open he eyes.

"You know we are together in everything, right?" Daadu cooed her and he could feel her heartbeats getting uneven. He needed her to know that he was right there in every problem of her life. 

"Hmmm," She said and Daadu held her tight. He knew she was holding a lot inside which she was never going to share. She never talked about things which hurt her, she just takes time to throw them in farthest corner of her heart so that no one could see them ever. 

"Did you eat something?" Daadu asked in a heavy voice and she shook her head in no. 

"Let me cook something very delicious for my girl," Daadu said cheerfully putting her head on pillow. She didn't say much and turned her face to other side smuggling into Bernard's golden retriever. 

_______________________

Manik rang the bell of Murthy mansion after much thought. He just prayed that she was home. Door clicked open and a servant stood there.

"Nandini?" Manik asked desperately.

"She isn't home, sir," Servant answered and Rishi walked out sending servant in. Manik could see anger in Rishi's gaze as he closed the door behind.

"What are you doing here?" Rishi asked folding his arms across his chest.

Manik who was busy looking for Nandini's car turned to answer his question but then he had no answer. His presence there itself was a big question mark. 

"Nandini hasn't returned since last night," Rishi informed and Manik could feel himself going blank. She hadn't returned, horrible feeling engulfed him. Only one she ever went to after running away was him, he bit his lip in anxiety thinking about the horrifying scenarios.  

"Do you understand what it could take to bring someone like Nandini to that? I think she freaking loved you," Rishi growled. Manik could feel burying in guilt more as Rishi said that. He wanted to shout even he loved her, he had no two thoughts about it. 

"Tell me, where's she?" Manik asked lowly. He needed to know. 

"I don't know, soldier," Rishi answered helplessly, "Nobody knows. And the man who told you to do what you did, has whatsoever no concern where she is." 

"Think," Rishi tried to undo what his father had planted in fickle mind of Manik. 

Silence stayed as they both stood quiet.

"Daadu has gone to find her," Rishi added and Manik couldn't stay there anymore. He was drowning in guilt. He strode out and didn't even dare to look at Rishi. It was plain convenient of him to come back to seek her whereabouts. Didn't he let her go for a reason? He was the one who had tried to put an end to their sweet tale even before it could make it to library. He could not just keep coming back after pushing her away. 

________________________

"You sure?" Daadu asked as he walked towards door. Nandini walked behind him trying to hold Mr Harlow. He licked her chin and she put his paws down. She was too distracted to answer his soothing kisses. 

"Yes," She answered briefly. 

She had refused to return home and Daadu could see it coming. She had no reason to be around those people. She needed time. Daadu had expected something of this sort already. 

"And what if someone wants to see you?" Daadu asked and Nandini knew about whom he was talking about. 

"I don't know what you are talking about," She answered with an apparent unrest on her face. It was a fact she had cried a lot for that one boy and now she had decided she won't. 

"Take care. I will be back for dinner," Daadu kissed her temple before walking out. She waved him bye as his car drove off. 

Closing the door, she crashed in messy couch only to look at empty road through window. She needed to stop looking there, she scolded herself before doing the curtains. 

_______________________________

Daadu asked driver to stop the car seeing Manik walking along the road all lost. He looked worn out. His face told story of his mind, he was certainly messed up. Daadu frowned thinking why would he wander in this hour of day. He got out and walked to him. Manik looked up and before Daadu could even think of asking him anything, Manik ran to him. He hugged Daadu as tight as could while trying very hard not to cry. Daadu couldn't react for few seconds as a boy who was taller than him was almost clinging onto him like a baby. 

"I am sorry, Daadu. I didn't want to hurt her. I am..." Manik said in low breath but got intervened. 

"What's the point, Manik?" Daadu asked in a controlled voice. 

Manik backed off a bit and looked at Daadu's blank face. He knew Daadu had all the reasons to be this cold to him. 

"Where is she?" Manik asked composing himself. He was again back at worrying about her. He couldn't be at peace without knowing if she was fine. 

"How does it matter?" Daadu said looking away. He was equally upset about whatever happened. He had never imagined such junction for Nandini and Manik. He liked that boy and that boy had let him down. 

"Is she alright?" Manik asked holding Daadu's elbows. 

"You know her," Daadu replied sharply. He had no right to tell Manik how vulnerable she was. 

"So you found her," Manik sighed in relief and looked up. 

"None of your concern anymore, Cadet," Daadu said bitterly and started to walk towards his car. It was in vain to try to do things for these two at that time. 

"She is fine, right?" Manik asked quickly and Daadu turned around to give him a glare. 

"I hope you are fine, Manik," Daadu taunted and he looked down. 

"Stop asking silly questions," Daadu scolded and Manik ran to hug him again. He couldn't take that burdening feeling anymore. Daadu felt this urge to console him but he didn't give in. Manik needed to know what he did, was not appropriate. 

"I know you hate me," Manik murmured and Daadu closed his eyes. Manik exactly knew how to have best of people. Daadu slightly patted Manik's back and Manik hugged him tighter. 

"Don't hate me, please," Manik said and Daadu backed off. 

"I am no one to hate you, Son. I will talk to you, give me sometime," Daadu replied and then turned around to leave. 

"I need to see Bernard before heading towards home," He mumbled and Manik just kept standing there lost. 

"Bernard?" Manik asked after few seconds as he registered the piece of information. 

 "Is that where she is?" He asked aloud and Daadu glared him turning around. 

"I don't know what you are talking about," Daadu replied and sat in his car. Manik saw his car leaving towards town and he saved the name Bernard for some reason he hadn't pondered over. Daadu sighed in content, he couldn't help dropping a buoyant just in case Manik had brains to grab it and come out of stupidity. 

_____________________________________

Unedited*

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

11.8K 98 20
Stories about the misadventures of Harry and yn and other characters in between!!!!! Some with fluff, others angst or grim. But enjoy anyway!!!
Old Love By Kai Mike

Mystery / Thriller

255 13 6
❗Important ❗ 1:this story talk about "Army"stuff so if you aren't Army so i think these doesn't fit you 2: this story in it some ↓ # Romantic🌹✨ # Ac...
His Kryptonite. By Nqaba_

Mystery / Thriller

290 11 14
As the villainous antagonist secretly lives out his fantasy, will he be stopped by her one true love? Or will she lay wavering in the storm?
464 92 42
A Rollercoaster Of Love!