Loyalty Or Honour (Book 3)

Af randomthoughts96

The time has come for Hunter, the only illegitimate son of the late Lord Usani, to know the true meaning of f... Mere

Author's Note
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One
Chapter Thirty Two
Chapter Thirty Three
Chapter Thirty Four
Chapter Thirty Five
Chapter Thirty Six
Chapter Thirty Seven
Chapter Thirty Eight
Chapter Thirty Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty One
Chapter Forty Two
Chapter Forty Three
Chapter Forty Four
Chapter Forty Five
Important.
Chapter Forty Six
Chapter Forty Seven
Chapter Forty Eight
Chapter Forty Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty One
Chapter Fifty Two
Chapter Fifty Three
Author's Note
Family With Honour
Bear's story

Chapter Fourteen

5.8K 573 37
Af randomthoughts96

Vote ~ Comment ~ Enjoy!

"My Lady," Alice curtseys beautifully to Lady Arabella. After rising she stands with her hands demurely folded before her waiting. Beatrice hides a smile and turns away to fix her hair in the mirror. Mary notes how elegantly the young woman stands and the respect in her body language. Arabella however looks at the girl's face and sees innocence and youth. For a moment she is jealous of a girl a few years her junior. Then she pulls herself together and reminds herself that she is to marry the Crown Prince.

"Do you bring a message...?" Arabella enquires.

"I have been sent by the Queen to join your ladies in waiting. Three is a much more fit number for the fiancée of the future King, or so I was told." Alice replies confidently, a small smile touching her lips.

"Welcome..." Arabella hesitates, her brow crinkling slightly. "I do not believe you have introduced yourself."

"Miss Alice North," Alice curtseys again but only a slight one.

"Miss North; these are my other two ladies in waiting," she gestures to one, "Miss Mary Litt," she gestures to the other, "Miss Beatrice Frith."

"Wait a moment!" Beatrice suddenly interjects, turning around. "Did you just say your last name is North?"

"Yes?" Alice speaks with a little confusion as to why her last name is of some importance.

"Are those relations of yours just outside this room?" Beatrice asks, her voice slightly disappointed.

"I can only assume you mean Orion and Hunter, yes they are my elder brothers. Is that going to cause some issues?" Arabella raises her eyebrows at the girl stood before them who has already seemed to sum up the situation within the room and read Beatrice's expressions perfectly. "Were you speaking about them before I entered?" Alice goes one step further, proving just how much she had noticed. "I see that you were. Would you like some privacy to continue?"

Mary looks scandalised by the girl's loose tongue but Arabella cannot help smiling. "No there is no need for that. Your presence will perhaps help my ladies keep their minds on other things."

"Arabella." Beatrice whines, "You are spoiling my entertainment."

"You may continue if you wish. I understand that this position comes with the requirement to hold secrets, I will not breathe a word of it elsewhere." Alice reassures the women. Beatrice beams at her and Mary nods approvingly. Arabella however does not react.

"How old are you Alice?"

"Seventeen, My Lady." She replies quickly.

"There is no need for such a formal address here. Arabella will do just fine. We are all friends here and I hope that you will join us in that." Arabella corrects kindly. "Now we must hurry if I am to be ready in time for dinner."

As Mary straightens out and perfects Arabella's hair, Beatrice studies Alice. "If it would please you, Arabella, while you are at dinner tonight I would be delighted to take Alice to see the seamstress to sort out some appropriate dresses for her new position. I highly doubt the young girl has appropriate gowns for the ball next week."

"Certainly." Arabella agrees.

○ ○ ○

After a little while, Arabella and her three ladies emerge from the bedroom. Arabella halts and glances around the room before her attention flits to Hunter's with some hesitance. "Perhaps I was seeing double before but now there appears to only be one of you." She comments. Hunter meets her gaze and she feels her heart flutter in her chest but that soon dissipates when she sees how blank his eyes have taken on in appearance. His eyes then go past her, making contact with someone behind her. She glances back and sees Alice shaking her head, her mouth twisting in amusement and annoyance. This expression vanishes when she realises Arabella is looking back at her.

"Orion had to step out to attend to some unexpected business." Hunter replies shortly and Alice makes a sound of disagreement, only slightly stilting it because of her company. Arabella's forehead creases slightly, she does not know what could have been important enough for one of her personal guards to leave her less protected.

"My Lady will forgive him just this once, but this will not be acceptable again." Miss Litt states clearly and Hunter just gives her an empty cold stare in response. "You are to escort us to the Dining room." She places her arm through Arabella's and they glide forward. Hunter opens the door for them when his younger sister shoots him a look filled with laughter. "Remember seven steps behind at all times." Mary adds as they go out into the corridor. Hunter frowns when only the two of them head down the hallway.

"Are you not coming?" He asks Alice lowly.

"I am not needed to attend dinner." She states quickly. "Hurry, those steps are growing larger in number." She reminds unable to hide the giggle in her voice. Hunter gifts her with a warm smile before he falls into step behind the two females. Beatrice almost swoons.

Arabella walks with a grace that Hunter is not familiar with and he struggles to concentrate on something other than her. He had always thought that he would eventually fall for a woman very similar to his brother's wife. Sparrow was strong, intelligent and she spoke her mind without thought for consequences. He never felt anything more than kinship for her but a woman like her was what he imagined if he was ever to feel that strongly. Now doubts start to crowd his mind. Never had he felt such a buzz simply seeing a woman before. He internally smacks himself. It was just a look, only attraction. It means nothing and he is sure the fascination will soon pass.

A female clearing her throat brings him out of his thoughts and Miss Litt shakes her head at him. They have halted outside two closed doors. Arabella smiles gently. "Perhaps you would be kind enough to open the doors for us." She kindly remarks before her friend can speak more harshly.

Hunter nods and opens the doors for them and steps back. Miss Litt leans over and whispers into Arabella's ear, "If I was you I would insist on an experienced guard and not a newly trained one." Unknown to her, Hunter has incredible hearing and picks up on the hushed words enough to know their meaning. He holds back from reacting. They glide into to the room and are announced to the room. Hunter sees the Crown Prince rise and cross the room to his betrothed to kiss her hand and guide her to her seat.

A guard steps out of the room and closes the doors. He nods to Hunter. "You must be Orion's younger brother. I am Jorge; he assigned me to watch Lady Arabella and her entourage for the dark hours." The guard smiles warmly and scratches the back of his head. "He should have headed back to her rooms by now." He suggests. Hunter nods and looks back the way he came. "Can you find your way back?"

"Yes I should be able to." Hunter assures him. Jorge nods once then slips back into the dining room to watch over the Royals.

Hunter heads back the way he came, following the map he is slowly etching out in his mind. He opens and strides straight into Lady Arabella's suite. "Hunter!" Alice exclaims and he halts and blinks. She laughs. "It is convenient that we have not yet set to work. Next time knock!" She exclaims. A young seamstress arranges her materials on the various pieces of furniture placed across the room.

"He is fortunate that Madam Abraham has not yet arrived. She would have skinned him for his rudeness." She comments breezily before placing a measuring tape around Alice's waist. The door once again opens and Orion strides in, his face closed off and annoyed.

"Daisy, may I introduce you to my two, incredibly rude, brothers Orion and Hunter." Alice pointedly says before turning her attention to Orion while Daisy measures the length of her arms. "So, let me guess, you were unable to take this opportunity away from me? Did Prince Theodore refuse to get involved?" Beatrice's eyes widen at Alice's loose tongue before reminding herself that she is speaking with her brother.

"Yes, are you happy? You get to remain as a ladies maid." Orion grumbles.

"He had suggested me had he not? You are holding back dear brother." Alice again picks up on more than most.

"Yes." He grinds out. "It appears that our family are in good favour at the moment. Do not ruin that." He warns before he frowns at the young seamstress. "What is happening here? We cannot afford too many luxuries."

The door once again opens as Alice's expression becomes downcast. A woman of considerable girth enters dressed in the most simple but beautiful dress. The colours complement her pale ivory skin to the perfect degree and the fit slides across her curves rather than clinging. She smiles widely when she sees the young girl's beauty and figure. Daisy curtseys and steps back. Madam Abraham strides forward and takes Alice's hands within hers. "You shall be the best dressed young miss when I am finished with you." She declares causing Alice's and Beatrice's cheeks to flush, for two different reasons.

Hunter edges towards the door knowing he no longer wishes to be present. Lady Claire had a few friends of the same elk as the new occupant in the room and Hunter has had experience to know he should get out quickly. As a child he had enough of his cheeks being pinched and many extravagant compliments to feel utterly uncomfortable. They were never frightened off by his cold stares and black glares.

"Now why did you look so sad when I entered dear?" She pats Alice's hand encouragingly.

"My brother kindly reminded me that we cannot afford many dresses." Madam Abraham turns to find the object of Alice's statement. Her gaze settles on Hunter who shakes his head and points to Orion. Orion rolls his eyes at his reaction before realising the woman is now looking at him with contempt.

"Well, darling, your brother should be kindly reminded that I only work for the Royals themselves and no other would ever be able to afford, or deserve, my services. This young miss's dresses will be paid for by the Queen herself so that she displays the best image she possibly can. However since you are so worried I will bill one of her ball gowns to you personally." Orion moves to protest but Hunter grabs his arm.

"Take my advice and let it go. Otherwise you will find the bill increasing in value." Hunter tells him in a hushed tone. Orion shakes him off but accepts his words.

"You may both leave." Madam Abraham tells them with an usher of her hands.

"You will dress her modestly, I do not want there to be any reason for men to be focusing their attention on my sister." Orion commands but Madam's eyebrows just rise. A small smile touches her lips as he continues. "Neither should she be clothed in any colours that draw the eye. She has promised me that she will be a shadow and you should ensure that..."

"Young man," she interrupts before he can continue, "I will dress her beautifully and modestly, fitting to be a young ladies maid. However she will be in whatever colour I decide. Men will watch her regardless of how I dress her; it is a fact of life. If you have done your job well she will look past their pretty words and protect herself. A dress cannot do that. Now you are testing my patience. You have ten seconds to vacate the room so I can start the magic." She starts to count down and with a grind of his teeth Orion does as ordered following in Hunter's much quicker steps.

So inspiration finally struck, I hope you have enjoyed the chapter and if you have please do vote and comment! I am away for a week from Saturday and will not have time to write to update. I will however get to writing another chapter when I return from my holiday. 

Poor Hunter, he may just be starting to realise how frustrating his new family can be... :) 

Fortsæt med at læse

You'll Also Like

167K 6.1K 22
Quintessential Dynasty Series|| Book 2|| Lorenzo Santini|| 18+ Please note that you must read book 1, Deception before you read this book. β€’β€’β€’ Weddin...
1.7M 67.9K 58
[COMPLETED] Wattys2018 Shortlist! PROMOTED ON COSMOPOLITAN.COM Highest rank #6 on Chicklit What's Hot List FOLLOW ME FOR EXCLUSIVE UPDATES ❀ ...
5.1K 156 26
Tagalog/English "Paghihigantihan kita Allen Romuladez!" ito ang mga katagang binitawan ni Geraldine when she made the vow of ruining the man he despi...
104K 3.6K 62
Trueborn son of Robert Baratheon and Cersei Lannister Sold to slavery Forced to become a warrior Willing to help Daenerys Targaryen claim her birthr...