Children of the Ark ✔️

By FlatMatesForLife

Every three years a group of two-hundred teens get sent to Earth. After spending two years on Earth, you can... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two

Chapter Eighteen

113 18 1
By FlatMatesForLife

It was about an hour after I had left had I realised that I made a big mistake. I had left the safety of the Lion Clan to go and search for my sister... in what seems like an endless forest and I have no clue how to find out what direction I'm walking in. I didn't have a watch like Jett has, or a compass.

I haven't eaten anything and I do not feel safe walking around on my own out here. Everything just seems scarier now that I'm alone. Every rustle of leaves, every crunch of leaves under foot, every single noise is now something that can kill me. It's terrifying.

As I trudge along, not having any clue to what direction I am walking in, I start thinking about anything. The silence is making all of my deepest and darkest thoughts come out.

What if something is about to pounce on me at any moment and kill me?

What if I intercept a group of Snakes and they take my stuff or kill me... or both?

What if Amelia was attacked and is taken hostage or dead? How would I know if she is alright?

What if. What if. What if.

I shake my head to try to get rid of those thoughts. Nothing is going to happen to me. Nothing is going to happen to Amelia. Everything is going to be alright.

I decide that it is time for me to take a rest and eat something. I have been walking for a few hours and I already know that I am lost. All of the trees look the same. Every stone. Every leaf. Every bush. All of it looks the same.

I take off my pack and sit down in the dirt. Not caring if my clothes get dirty. I realise that I was still wearing the tattered clothes from when the mutant cockroaches attacked. I dug through my pack to find that they had put new stuff inside. There were now some granola bars, about three days worth of food, a flashlight, some rope and another pocket knife. That's why my pack felt quite light.

I pull out a granola bar, unwrap it and start munching on it, finishing it in less than a minute. I decided to not eat anymore so that I can save up my food, because who knows how long I am going to be wandering in this forest. I was about to get up to start walking again when I heard the snap of a twig.

I quickly whipped my gun out and crouched down, quickly hiding myself in a bush and hoping that whoever or whatever is there won't see me. I stay still, holding my breath, trying to see if I can see what snapped the twig.

"Boo!" I hear someone whisper into my ear from behind me.

I quickly turn around and stand up, bringing my elbow to whoevers face it was that was behind me. Their hands instantly went to their nose, so I kicked them in the stomach and they fell, landing on their back. Pointing my gun at their head, they took their hands away from their bleeding nose groaning in pain.

It was Tyler.

"What the heck was that for!" He cried out.

"That was for sneaking up behind me! I could have killed you!" I sat down on the ground and ran a hand through my hair.

I had come close to killing Tyler. All I had to do was pull the trigger and he would be dead.

"That hurt you know." He said sitting up, but keeping his head back, letting the blood trickle down his face.

"Serves you right." I scoff back at him and he just laughs.

He digs around in his pack for something and brings out a clean shirt and puts it to his nose. He tilts his head back down so that he was looking at me.

"So, how long were you following me for?" I ask.

"For as long as you were walking for. I did lose you at one point, but then I found you again."

"So why didn't you call out to me or let me know that you're following me?"

"Because, I wanted to see how long it would take you to realise you were being followed." He lets out a small chuckle and I push out my foot, kicking him in the shin. "Ow! Can you stop beating me up!"

We both let out a hearty laugh. I don't think I have laughed like this for a while. There hasn't exactly been that much to laugh about these days. We had been laughing for a few minutes before we both calmed down. I ended up laying on the ground next to him, and the bleeding from his nose had stopped, so the bloody t-shirt was laying on the other side of him.

We were both staring at the sky through the leaves of the trees above us. The calm breeze drifting through the leaves, making them swish and swirl in many different patterns. The clouds in the sky moving at a slow pace. The sun, filtering through the trees, landing on the cold ground beneath us. It was peaceful.

"I'm sorry that I over reacted." I said as I turned my head to look at him, still staring at the sky. A slight smile etched on his face.

"I'm sorry that I said all of those hurtful things to you. You know that I didn't mean them right?" He turned his head to look at me.

I didn't answer. I just turned my head to look back at the sky. I knew that he meant what he said. Everyone says the truth when they are angry because the filter between the brain and the mouth disappears and everything you really want to say just flows out. No matter how hurtful it is. I hear him sigh and I can see out of the corner of my eye that he turns his head to look at the sky.

After lying there for who knows how long, Tyler decided that it would be best if we went back to the Lion Clan.

"I'm not going with you." I say while shrugging my pack back on.

"Why not? I followed you so that I could right things between us, and to bring you back to the Lion Clan. We need you there with us. We need you to help convince the Clan leaders. Jess and Zoe need you there. I need you there."

"Sorry, but I think that it is best that I stay away for a while. I will come back soon. I'm just not ready to face anyone after the little melt down I had. Maybe in a few days. Maybe in a few weeks. But I just feel like I need to be alone for now."

"Okay." Tyler says as he looks at the ground. "But please come back as soon as you're ready to."

"I will." I say as I turn and start to walk further into the forest.

"Bastien, wait." I turn to look at him. "Good luck." He says with a small smile and I continue on my walk as he turns and walks back towards the Lion Clan.

Twigs and leaves were crunching under my feet as I trudged along. Since I didn't want to face anyone yet, I needed some alone time. Maybe if I went back to that cabin where Tyler first brought us when he found us. No. Jacob's body might still be there. Even if his body isn't there. The memory of what happened will stay.

Maybe I will find somewhere to stay as I wander around. I have enough food in my pack to last me for a few days, so until then, I shouldn't have to worry about anything. Except finding other people or mutated animals. I don't know why I thought that I might be able to take on people and or mutants.

I had been walking for a while and my feet were starting to hurt again. I was not fit enough to walk for this long without feeling some kind of pain. The bottoms of my feet were sore, my legs felt like they were burning and I swear that I was starting to cramp up.

I saw a good enough tree to climb into and camp for the night. Not many people look up, and I would also be concealed by the leaves of the tree so, at night, it will be hard to see me. I scaled the tree and found a good branch to sleep on for the night.

I rummaged through my pack and found some rope. It was longer than the one that I was given. It was maybe three or four metres long. Long enough to be able to tie myself to the branch that I was going to sleep on, so that if I moved in my sleep, I would still be tied to the branch instead of falling to the ground.

Once I had securely tied myself to the branch, I searched through my pack again and brought out two granola bars. This was going to be dinner for tonight. The sun was setting and the colours that were lighting the sky was amazing. Brilliant red and oranges were dancing in the sky. Setting a red glow over everything.

I was so distracted by the sunset that I almost didn't hear the two people talking below me.

"So in two days time, at dawn, we are going to attack the Lion Clan. They have the weakest defenses out of the two and once they are out of the way, we collect some hostages and use them as part of our defense to get into the Wolf Clan. We will disguise them as Lion Clan members and trust me, the word that the Lion Clan was attacked will spread fast. We will end this war now before everything get's too out of hand and a full blown battle between the three of us starts. Too many lives will be lost and we can not afford that." They were going to attack the Lion Clan. Tomorrow morning. I had to get back to them to warn them, but it is going to be a long trek back.

"But sir, the Lion Clan may not know that we are coming, but they still have strong defenses. A lot of our people are going to die in the process of taking over. Who knows how many will die?" Another voice said, but this time it was female.

"More will die if a full on war starts than if we attack them now. More of them will die than us. I will tell you more of our plan when we get back to camp. I need to go over it with everyone again. Make sure that everything goes according to plan." The man says before he walks off, back to wherever their camp is.

I hear the woman below my perch sigh. I didn't want to move or breathe. These guys were Snake Clan and if they found out that I was up here, they would either take me prisoner or kill me. The woman below me started to walk back towards their camp. I have no clue how far away it is, but hopefully it is quite far away.

I need to get back to the Lion Clan and warn them that in two days, the Snake Clan will come and attack them. They have to believe me, or everyone in the Lion Clan is going to die. Or at least everyone who doesn't escape.

Once I am sure that the woman was far away enough, I untied myself from the tree, quickly packed all of my items back into my pack and climbed down from the tree. Once my feet hit the ground, I was about to take off in the direction of the Lion Clan, but the click of the safety being removed stopped me.

"Who are you." I hear the female voice say. I slowly turn around to face her and I can see that she has a gun pointed at my head. I see a look of recognition pass over her face, before fear took over. "Y-You're the one who killed Jacob. Hayden is going to be so pleased that I found you."

A devious grin expanded on her face as she held the gun firmer than before. Determined to not let me get away.

"You won't get away this time."

I had to think of something fast. I saw this on one of the old television shows that they used to play before the world was devastated.

I slowly walk up to my opponent, an innocent smile on my face. I was walking at just the right speed to get me there quickly, but not to not alert her to what I was about to do.

I walked past her gun, a confused look on her face. I seemed to be a bit shorter than this woman, but that played to my advantage. I was now standing a few centimetres away from her, the innocent smile never leaving my face.

That's when I pulled out my knife and brought it up to her throat. She managed to dodge my attack, but was now off balance. The knife had skimmed her nose, so there was now a red line on the tip of it. I quickly hit the gun out of her hand as she tried to get her balance back and quickly got behind her, bringing the knife to her throat again.

She grabbed onto my wrist that was holding the knife to her throats and threw me over her shoulder. I landed on the ground in front of her, slightly winded, but I had managed to take one of my guns out of its holster before I hit the ground.

My gun was now aimed at her. I gave her a smirk before I saw her try and run for her gun that was now lying a few feet away. I pulled the trigger before she could get anywhere near her gun.

I heard a shout come from the distance and heard a few patters of feet as people came running towards me. They were alerted by the shot. I looked at the woman as I scrambled up and saw that the bullet had nailed her from under her chin and came out cleanly from the top of her head.

I started running back towards the Lion Clan, trying to make as little noise as I can so that they don't follow me.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

A/N: Heyy!! Sorry that this upload is a bit late, but since I am now just updating whenever I can, I guess it's alright XD

So what did you think of this chapter? I didn't want to make it too boring so I added the little fight scene in the end. Did you recognise the start of the fight scene from Assassination Classroom? It's an anime that I am watching at the moment and it's weird but funny...

Do you think that Bastien will get back to the Lion Clan on time? Or do you think that the people who came to check out the noise will follow him and get to him before he can get back?

Remember to vote if you like my story, and comment things that I could improve on or things that you liked! Follow me and add this story to your library if you want to get updates for the story whenever I post a new chapter!

-FlatMatesForLife

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

976 51 15
After a nuclear war nearly in 2150 the whole Earth has become uninhabitable for humans. There are some major cities which are still running but have...
11.6K 1K 21
When mankind woke up something they should not, they soon found themselves on the verge of extinction. Earth is now the world of the infected. The...
0 0 22
As the narrator, I'm tempted to simply write "Middle Finger" because that is essentially what you'll feel like I'm giving you in telling this story...