Search for the Soul Gem

Per SamiRuskey

Lucy Scaffer was an Archaeology professor at the City University of New York. Her life seemed to be going in... Més

Preface (2012)
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty-Eight
Chapter Forty-Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty-One
Chapter Fifty-Two
Chapter Fifty-Three
Chapter Fifty-Four
Chapter Fifty-Five
Chapter Fifty-Six
Chapter Fifty-Seven
Chapter Fifty-Eight
Chapter Fifty-Nine
Chapter Sixty
Chapter Sixty-One
Chapter Sixty-Two
Chapter Sixty-Three
Chapter Sixty-Four
Chapter Sixty-Five
Chapter Sixty-Six
Chapter Sixty-Seven
Epilogue

Chapter Thirty-Two

1.4K 41 5
Per SamiRuskey

     I stood there frozen from confusion and fear. Tony and Banner stood where they were, both ready to fight but looking completely confused. Tony broke the trance first and strode over to me. His hands went to my face as he studied me quickly.

     "Are you okay Lucy?" he asked quietly, his voice shaking lightly. I looked up at him for a moment. I nodded slowly. He pulled me away from the wall and back toward Banner.

     "What was all that about?" he asked as we walked back to where we'd left our gloves on the counter. I quickly pulled the gloves on to cover the marks on my hand before looking over at Banner.

     "I don't know but he got real scared when he saw the mark on my palm," I said quietly, wrapping the scarf back around my neck.

     "That's really strange," Banner trailed off, lost in thought. I shifted slightly, looking back at the doorway the barman had disappered through.

     "Can we get out of here, before he decides to come back," I said. We all left the tavern quickly, the cold outside strangly comforting from the stifling heat of the tavern. We started down the road that followed the curve of the ocean. We all walked in silence, the only sound was the muffled crunch of snow under our boots as we walked. We left a trail of evaporating mist from every exhale. My mind was reeling, trying to make sense of the barman's reaction. He'd been scared of the mark on my palm. Like it was going to harm him just by looking at it. But what could possibly make someone afraid of a symbol? There had to be something underlying to make him fear a mark. And deep down I knew what it had to do with. I'd seen reactions like that before but not as violent. When someone reacted so strongly to something like that it usually had to do with some deeply engrained belief in the entire culture. The only question was what was it? And why did it scare that man so much?

     I was so lost in thought that I didn't even realize we'd entered a new building. It wasn't until I stepped forward and directly into Tony's back that I even realized we'd stopped walking. Tony turned to me with a small smile on his lips.

     "If you wanted my attention darling, all you had to do was ask," Tony whispered to me. I rolled my eyes and starrted unwrapping my scarf. This tavern had a much friendlier atmosphere than the first one. There was about ten people milling around the counter, a cheery din of conversation filling the air. The barman was buzzing around behind the counter, taking and filling orders. Off in the bar, the crack of a cueball snapped above the chatter. We shored up at the counter with me on the corner, Tony next to me, and Banner next to him. I set my scarf down on the counter along with my gloves. I pulled my hat off and let my drying hair fall around my shoulders. The barman glanced over at Tony, a question in his eyes. Tony held up three fingers and said what sounded like coffee. The barman nodded and made his way back toward the end of the counter. I looked around the bar at the men that were sitting next to us at the counter. The one right next to me seemed to have been here for a long time now, based on the lazy smile on his mouth. He looked over at me with a sly smile over the mug that was poised on his mouth. He opened his mouth and said something to me in a language that I didn't know. The barman set the mugs of coffee in front of Tony and I pulled mine into my hands to warm them up.

     "I'm sorry, do you speak English?" I said quietly. The man smiled wider and set his mug down.

     "You're in luck doll face, that's one of the few I'm reliable in," the man said with a thick accent. I offered him a small smile as I took a sip of the coffee, careful to keep the marks on my hand hidden.

     "Well I'm in luck then aren't I?" I said. He smiled again.

     "Let me buy you a drink honey," he offered. Tony shifted behind me and leaned closer to me. I flicked my hand up descretely. I couldn't let Tony's jealousy get in the way of rapport I was trying to get. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw the door open to the bar. I smiled at the man sweetly.

     "Sure, I can't see how one would hurt," I said. The man broke another smile as he waved the barman over to me. Natasha's red hair flashed from the corner of my eye. She was standing next to Banner at the counter. Clint and Thor were lounging next to her against the counter. The man waved two fingers in the air to order two drinks. The barman nodded and pulled two mugs out from under the counter. He started pouring the draft in the mugs carefully.

     "So what is your name doll face?" the man asked. The barman slid the mugs toward me and the man and nodded at the man.

     "My name is Lucy," I smiled, bringing the mug up to my lips. I wasn't too sure about beer this early in the morning but I at least had to look like I was humoring him. The man took a harty drink from his mug and nodded at my words.

     "Lucy," he said, his accent thick on my name. I smiled weakly at him. Tony shifted behind me. He was gonna be mad for sure but I needed the information that this man might have, "My name is Johann but you can call me Jan," he said.

     "So, Jan, what are you doing at a tavern so early in the day?" I asked sweetly, pretending to take another sip of the beer again. His thick laughter drown everything else out in the room for a moment.

     "I'm what you Americans call a 'regular'," he said with a smirk. I cocked my head to the side. The tavern door opened again and a wash of freezing air breathed into the room again.

     "How did you know I was American?" I asked. James, Steve, and Sam appeared next Clint and Thor, wrapped up in their coats from the cold. Jan leveled a smirk at me.

     "Please, your voice is laced with the New York vibrato," he said.

     "Thank you?" I said. He laughed before taking another sip of his beer.

     "So what brings such a beautiful New Yorker to our tiny, glacier town?" he asked. Tony groaned under his breath and shifted again in his seat. I swung my legs back and kicked his shin to warn him to get himself together.

     "Well I'm a doctor at a university and I wanted to learn the local histories. And I was wondering if you would be willing to tell me any of them," I asked, cocking my head to the side.

     "Local histories? What does that mean?" Jan asked.

     "Well, are there any cool histories or like local legends about the town. Or even like from around the area," I shrugged, trying to make my question sound light but interested. The man thought for a moment, taking a long drink from his beer.

     "Mmm," he set his mug down on the counter and swallowed hard. "There is one legend that is a favorite around here," he said looking up at me.

     "Oh yeah? I'm all ears," I said. He shifted forward in his seat, resting his elbows on the counter.

     "It's an old, Viking hunting tale," he started. I leaned forward slightly. Hunting tales were my favorite. I'd found many things based off hunting tales, "You know about Viking mythology, don't ya?"

     "I know a bit," I said with a small smile.

     "Well those mountains and valleys out back are very useful for hunting. Lots of locals have been hunting out back for years. The locals can navigate those mountains in their sleep, with their eyes closed, in the dark. But if you're not a native whose hunted those mountains since birth, you can get yourself in a very dangerous situation very fast. This is a story that's been told for years to children as a cautionary tale.

     A long time ago-thousands of years ago-there was a hunter who was new to the area. He was eager to prove himself to all the local hunters, so he set out to the mountains early one morning. The day went well for him although he hadn't found anything to show when he got home. It was getting late but he was determined to come home with something. The sun was setting when the hunter came across a fresh set of deer tracks in the snow. He decided to follow the tracks until he found the deer. The tracks led through a path lined with curious stone piles. It was curious because there were no indications of such a path on any map or in any oral tale he'd been told. So he followed the tracks for hours through the alleyway of stone. The sun was set and the moon had long since rose in the sky when he reached an inlet to a cave in the side of the mountain. By then, the hunter was growing weary and cold. He decided to hold up in the cave for the night.

     When the hunter entered the cave, he expected it to be completely abandoned. But, upon entrance, he found a well kept fire that looked as if it had been recently stoked. The hunter, overcome by his need for warmth, ignored any paranoia and warmed himself by the mysterious fire. It wasn't until another person entered the cave that he even thought of the peculiarity of the random fire. Except, it wasn't a person that entered," Jan paused.

     "Not a person?" I piped up. Jan smirked at me.

     "Ah, there are more than just humans that walk this Earth missy," he said. Thor shifted slightly in the corner of my vision. I waited patiently for him to continue his story, "What do you know of the Viking's gods?" he asked.

     "The basics you learn in any classic lit. class from Beowulf," I said.

     "Well, that mountain that the hunter stumbled upon is coincidentally named Þrymheimr. Þrymheimr is also the name of the mountain home of Skaði," Thor took a heavy step back, vibrating the floor.

     "Skaði?" I questioned.

     "The goddess of skiing, winter, mountains, that sort of thing," Jan explained. I nodded, swallowing my initial doubt. It wouldn't be the craziest thing that turned out to be true, "Skaði walked into the hunter sitting at her fire. She wasn't very happy about having some stranger intrude on her home. And, well, the hunter was on a ship back home the next day," Jan leaned back from the counter, pleased with his story.

     "What happened to the hunter?" I asked. He shrugged and crossed his arms over his chest.

     "No one knows. He came down at dawn the next day and wouldn't talk to anyone," Jan said. I leaned forward slightly and narrowed my eyes.

     "Then how do you know it's true?" I smirked.

     "It's just a story doll face. I don't have to know if it's true or not," he said. I laughed and leaned back. I felt Tony's arm resting near my back when I leaned back and his tension and annoyance was radiating off him like heat.

     "So, hypothetically, if I wanted to find this mysterious alley of stacked rocks, where would I look?" I asked.

     "The alley runs through the valley of the tallest mountains. But I wouldn't go looking for it," Jan said, suddenly serious and somber.

     "I thought this was just a story?" I teased, tipping my head slightly.

     "Trust me doll face. It's a bad plan," he advised. I eyed him suspiciously.

     "What part of the legend aren't you telling me?" I asked, studying his face closer. The atmosphere seemed to be shot through with something sinister. Jan let out a heavy sigh.

     "There is a legend that goes along with that story that says that if you cross the alley and go into Þrymheimr, that no natural, untouched human could stand it. Only unique humans or marked humans can do it. Special marks that can never be added without divine aid," he said. I thought for a moment before a smile spread across my face. I grabbed my scarf and hat and proceeded to put them on. I grabbed my gloves and stood up from my seat. A rustle of movement flourished behind me.

     "Thank you for the drink and the story Johann. Feel free to finish the beer since you're what we Americans call a 'regular'," I said with a wink. I turned to leave, the heroes standing to follow.

     "Wait doctor! I'm serious! Do not go looking for the alley. you don't have these divine marks!" Jan called out after me. I stopped and turned to him with a sweet smile. I'd already replaced one glove and was getting ready to replace the other. I held up my marked palm for him to see. His eyes bugged out and his jaw dropped.

     "You mean like these?" I paused for a moment, "Thank you sir, you were a great help," I said, pulling my glove on and turning toward the tavern door. The outside world was shockingly cold but I was too busy riding the high of being useful.

     "Wait so do you think this Skaði has the stone?" Clint asked, trotting to keep up with me. Before I could answer, Thor appeared on the other side of me.

     "It is completely possible. Skaði has not been seen in Asgard for thousands of years. It is very possible that she has been here all that time to protect the stone," Thor said. We all started back toward the house.

     "You heard him, it's just a story," Natasha said

     "Crazier things have happened," James offered.

     "Besides, every legend has some truth in it. Plus, fear that strong doesn't come from 'just a story'," I said.

     "Well if his fear is properly placed, should we really be going up there?" Steve asked. We reached the base of the hill to turn and ascend up to the house.

     "He said no 'natual human' could survive it. I have Asgardian marks on me so I'll be fine," I said.

     "News flash darlin' none of us have marks," Sam said.

     "But you all aren't natual humans are you? All of you have got something modified about you," I said, turning to look at Sam. We neared the house and I hesitated for a moment. The heroes crowded in front of me and I turned to look for Tony. He was trailing behind everyone, alone.

     "Hey," I said quietly when he finally reached me. He looked up at me, his eyes carefully guarded.

     "Shouldn't you be up with your students?" he asked, his voice shockingly harsh. He didn't bother stopping but continued passed me. I jogged after him.

     "What? Tony what are you talking about?" I asked confused, trying to keep up with him.

     "Oh come on, everyone's fawning over you. Even drunks can't resist you," Tony huffed. I pulled on his wrist to make him stop and look at me.

     "Tony, stop. You're being ridiculous," I said, reaching up to try and touch his cheek. He pulled away from me but said nothing. He turned from me and disappered inside the house. I swallowed the pain in my throat and forced myself not to cry. Getting myself to move from the spot was an incredibly hard feat. Once inside, I shed all my winter gear in a daze. Tony's reaction to the whole thing threw me off. I don't know why he was so upset about everything. He had to know my 'flirting' with the barfly was to get a story out of him. Wasn't he the one who had told me that we needed to find this damn stone? That's all I'm trying to do. I was lost deep in thought when I pushed into the warm kitchen. I'd just kicked the door shut and fully entered the house when I was caught up in someone's arms. I snapped out of my thought and looked up. Tony had his arms wrapped around my waist, holding me against him tightly. Annoyance flared in my chest at him and I pushed at his arms to get away.

     "Anthony Stark, let me go! Let me go right now!" I growled. He held on to me tight, his grasp so tight that I could never hope to push him off.

     "Lucy, wait. Honey stop, you don't understand-" Tony whispered. Before I could respond back, a laugh broke through the room. I froze, every nerve in my body shot through with fear. My fingers dug into Tony's arms, instantly wishing to disappered.

     "Hello doctor. Long time, no see," Fury said. He stood in the middle of the kitchen. His gaze was harsh and burned into me, setting in the same fear that I'd felt the day he sent me to the Raft. He smiled at me, his smile cold and disturbing, "You're looking well."

Continua llegint

You'll Also Like

35.3K 697 32
Y/N Starks life isn't like your average teenager. Most kids her age are going to high school, going to partys, applying for collage... but Y/N? Y/N...
127K 2.8K 32
I USED TO BE A CHILD, WITHOUT A CARE IN THE WORLD. ~a lot has changed. Sometimes our scars aren't physical. While emotional scars aren't visible they...
59.5K 1.5K 61
Never in their life have Maximoff Siblings especially Y/N Maximoff thought her world would come crashing down destroying the sibling's childhood. Bei...
19.5K 510 28
(CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER, THOR: THE DARK WORLD, AND AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON SPOILERS IN BLURB AND STORY) Bryce Russell is back and better...