Remembering the Forgotten [2]...

By Turtlii

After the event at Canary Wharf as well as losing Rose, the Doctor has finally figured out who the mysterious... More

Remembering the Forgotten
Prologue
The Runaway Bride
The Runaway Bride - Two
The Runaway Bride - Three
Smith, Stone and Jones
Smith, Stone and Jones - Two
Smith, Stone and Jones - Three
The Shakespeare Code
The Shakespeare Code - Two
The Shakespeare Code - Three
Gridlocked
Gridlocked - Two
Daleks in Manhatten
Daleks in Manhattan - Two
Evolution of the Daleks
Evolution of the Daleks - Two
The Lazarus Experiment
The Lazarus Experiment - Two
The Lazarus Experiment - Three
42
42 - Two
Human Nature
Human Nature - Two
The Family of Blood
Family of Blood - Two
Blink
Blink - Two
Utopia
Utopia - Two
The Sound of Drums - Two
Last of the Time Lords
Last of the Time Lords - Two
Time Crash

The Sound of Drums

4.1K 143 52
By Turtlii

"Hold still!" The Doctor ordered Jack holding his arm while Rita used her sonic to fix the vortex manipulator. "Don't move! Hold it still!"

"I'm telling you, it's broken. It hasn't worked for years."

"That's because you didn't have me or the Stone." The Doctor shouted over the cries of the futurekind.

"Done!" Rita informed them shouting and grabbing hold.

The Doctor then shouted. "Martha, grab hold, now!" He pressed the vortex manipulator and they vanished before reappearing in the alleyway. Rita groaned almost falling over if the Doctor didn't catch her.

"Thanks." She mumbled standing upright and brushing herself off slightly wincing at the pain in her head.

"Oh, my head." Martha then moaned touching her head in pain.

"Time travel without a capsule." The Doctor clicked his neck, Jack, doing the same. "That's a killer." They then walked out of the street looking around.

"Still, at least we made it. Earth, twenty-first century by the looks of it. Talk about lucky."

"That wasn't luck, that was the Stone." The Doctor said taking her hand and exiting the alleyway.

"Well, it's definitely 2008." She muttered as Jack and Martha caught up walking beside them.

"The moral is, if you're going to get stuck at the end of the universe, get stuck with an ex-Time Agent and his vortex manipulator." Jack tapped his wrist grinning.

"But this Master bloke, he's got the TARDIS. He could be anywhere in time and space." Martha told them.

"No, he's here." The Doctor looked around.

"Trust us, Martha." Rita looked around the area wearily, the Doctor wrapped his arm around her shoulder seeing her nerves were getting to her.

"Who is he, anyway?" Martha asked. "And that voice at the end, that wasn't the Professor."

"If the Master's a Time Lord, then he must have regenerated."

"What does that mean?" She asked.

Jack replied again seeing the Doctor was too busy trying to comfort the worried brunette. "It means he's changed his face, voice, body, everything. New man." The Doctor and Rita stared at a man tapping on his mug in the rhythm the Stone remembering the Master telling her about days just after the Time War started.

"Then how are we going to find him?"

"We will know him, the moment we see him. Time Lords always do." The Doctor replied not looking away from the Time Lady beside him.

"But hold on." Martha looked around at the posters. "If he could be anyone, we missed the election. But it can't be." She then stood up as a large screen showed a live broadcast. The Doctor stood up tightening his grip on the brunette's hand staring at the screen.

"Mister Saxon has returned from the Palace and is greeting the crowd inside Saxon Headquarters." A man in the screen informed before the images cut off to show the new Prime Minister walking down the steps.

"I said I knew that voice." Martha stared at the large screen intently. "When he spoke inside the TARDIS. I've heard that voice hundreds of times. I've seen him. We all have. That was the voice of Harold Saxon."

"That's him." The Doctor grimly stated.

"He's Prime Minister." Rita spat feeling anger knowing the Master well enough that he would harm millions of lives just to get what he wanted.

"Mister Saxon, this way, sir. Come on, kiss for the lady, sir."

"The Master is Prime Minister of Great Britain."
The Master then kissed the woman beside him, the Time Lords looked in shock

"The Master and his wife?" Rita looked at the screen with horror and pity for the woman who no doubt was tricked into this. "That's something I didn't see coming, I always wondered the day when he would take over the Earth, never thought it would happen after the Time War."

"This country has been sick and cold." The Master said staring into the camera knowing exactly who was watching the broadcast. "This country needs healing and warmth. This country needs medicine." He took a breath and continued to speak again. "In fact, I'd go, so far as to say that what this country really needs right now, to fix it's stone cold heart is a Doctor."

Not long after the broadcast the four headed to Martha's house, the Doctor and Rita pressing on with questions about 'Harold Saxon', who he was, his 'life' and the small details that they could use. "Home." Martha sighed happily.

"Martha do you have a laptop?" Rita asked looking over at her, she nodded and brought out a laptop handing it to her.

"Jack, who are you phoning?" The Doctor turned around glancing at him before angrily adding. "You can't tell anyone we're here."

"Just some friends of mine, but there's no reply." He sighed.

Jack walked over taking the laptop from the brunette and setting it down on the table. "I can show you the Saxon websites. He's been around for ages."

"That's so weird though," Martha muttered watching Jack on the computer. "It's the day after the election. That's only four days after I met you."

"We went flying all around the universe while he was here all the time."

"That's time travel for you." Rita sighed.

"You going to tell us who he is?" Martha then asked a little ruder than she meant.

"He's a Time Lord." The Doctor and Rita both answered.

"What about the rest of it?" She questioned, "I mean, who'd call himself the Master?"

"The more you know the more dangerous it becomes," Rita muttered knowing how true that statement was.

"Come on, show me, Harold Saxon."

Martha slowly walked over switching on her answering machine. "Martha, where are you?" The message sent by Tish played. "I've got this new job. You won't believe it. It's weird. They just phoned me up out of the blue. I'm working for-" Martha groaned cutting off the machine. "Oh, like it matters."

Rita sighed watching Jack sift through the pages and pages of information. "Let me." She forced him to move sitting down in front of the laptop. "If I'm good at anything it's finding information very, very quickly."

"She isn't wrong there." The Doctor nodded.

"I'll just go make tea," Jack mumbled walking off.

"I think you just broke him, Rita."

"Oh, dear his ego is almost as big as your sweetheart."

"Cheeky."

"Just like you." She winked at him chuckling then turned to the laptop again scrolling through the information her eyes scanning it unbelievably fast.

Jack returned back moments later handing the Doctor tea, he placed one of the cups on the table for Rita then started to drink his own as a video of Sharon Osbourne played. "I'm voting Saxon. He can tick my box any day."

"Vote Saxon! Go, Harry!" The video switched to McFly then AnnWiddecombe.

"I think Mister Saxon is exactly what this country needs. He's a very fine man... And he's handsome too."

Jack pressed a button on the keyboard and started to read off the information. "Former Minister of Defence. First came to prominence when he shot down the Racnoss on Christmas Eve." Jack paused then turned to the Doctor and Stone. "Nice work, by the way.

"Oh, thanks."

"But he goes back years." Martha frowned. "He's famous. Everyone knows his story." She stood up and started scrolling through. "Look. Cambridge University, Rugby blue. Won the Athletics thing. Wrote a novel, went into business, marriage, everything. He's got a whole life."

"But he's got the TARDIS." Jack frowned. "Maybe the Master went back in time and has been living here for decades."

The Doctor and Rita instantly replied. "No."

"Why not?" Jack then asked. "Worked for me."

"When he was stealing the TARDIS, the only thing we could do was fuse the coordinates. The Stone and I locked them permanently. He can only travel between the year one hundred trillion and the last place the TARDIS landed." The Doctor explained.

"Which lucky for us happens to be right here, right now." Rita added.

"Yeah, but a little leeway?"

"Well," the Doctor looked at Rita. "Eighteen months tops." She nodded in agreement. "The most he could have been here is eighteen months. So how has he managed all this? The Master was always sort of... hypnotic,"

"Sort of?" Rita scoffed. "I still remember when he tried to hypnotise me, he thought he could actually do that." She laughed a little. "Sometimes I think that he just thinks I'm stupid."

"Well, you have always been smarter than most of your family." The Doctor nodded before becoming serious. "But this is on a massive scale."

"I was going to vote for him." Martha blurted out.

"Really?" The Doctor and Rita looked at her.

"Well, it was before I even met you two. And I liked him."

"Me too." Jack added.

"Why do you say that?" The Doctor questioned. "What was his policy? What did he stand for?"

Martha stared out at the wall as if she was dreaming. "I don't know... He always sounded... good..." Rita looked at her hands and noticed the tapping, the same tapping as the homeless man earlier before. "Like you could trust him... Just, nice. He spoke about... I can't really remember, but it was good... Just the sound of his voice...

"What's that?" The Doctor asked looking down at her hands which suddenly stopped tapping as he spoke.

"What?" She frowned.

"That." The Doctor and Rita both said looking down at her hands.

"That tapping, that rhythm. What are you doing?"

"I don't know. It's nothing. It's ju- I don't know." Martha shrugged before they all turned to the laptop which switched to another broadcast.

"Oh look who it is." Rita groaned out of annoyance.

The Doctor turned on the TV before muttering. "Our lord and master is speaking to his kingdom."

"Britain, Britain, Britain. What extraordinary times we've had. Just a few years ago, this world was so small. And then they came, out of the unknown, falling from the skies. You've seen it happen. Big Ben destroyed." The pictures changed to show clips of the events. "A spaceship over London. All those ghosts and metal men. The Christmas star that came to kill. Time and time again, and the government told you nothing." He then paused looked past the camera smiled then continued. "Well, not me. Not Harold Saxon. Because my purpose here today is to tell you this. Citizens of Great Britain, I have been contacted. A message for humanity, from beyond the stars."

Rita frowned leaning closer to the screen as what looked like a metal robotics sphere began to talk. "People of the Earth, we come in peace. We bring great gifts. We bring technology and wisdom and protection. And all we ask in return is your friendship." Rita glared at the TV as the Master came back onto the screen. If he had anything to do with something like this it would be anything but peace and friendship.

"Ooh, sweet." The Master grinned causing Rita to feel slightly sick. "And this species has identified itself. They are called the Toclafane."

The Doctor and Rita's mouths gaped open. "What?" They heard the stories. The Toclafane weren't real, stories you told younger children.

The Master then continued to speak. "And tomorrow morning, they will appear. Not in secret, but to all of you. Diplomatic relations with a new species will begin. Tomorrow, we take our place in the universe. Every man, woman and child. Every teacher and chemist and lorry driver and farmer. Oh, I don't know," he paused grinning. "Every medical student?"

The Doctor, Rita and Jack snapped their necks in Martha's direction. The Doctor jumped up and turned the TV to see large explosive sticks attached to it. "Out!" He shouted. The Doctor grabbed the laptop as Rita grabbed his coat for him running out the door with Martha and Jack the Doctor shortly behind.

They crouched down when the massive explosion occurred causing a huge ball of fire to smash the glass.

The Doctor stood up glancing at everyone then went over to Rita. "All right?"

"I'm fine." She protested as he continued to check her over.

"Fine, yeah, fine." Jack nodded.

Rita swatted his hand away. "Sweetheart I'm fine, Martha?" She looked over to see her checking her phone.

"What are you doing?" The Doctor asked letting go of the brunette.

"He knows about me." She placed her phone to her ear. "What about my family?"

"Don't tell them anything." He shouted at her.

"I'll do what I like." She snapped at him. Moving away. "Mum?" She cried out. "Oh my God."

"Doctor we can't just stay here," Rita told him. "He's the bloody Prime Minister."

"I know." He sighed pulling her into his chest hugging her as Martha spoke to her mother.

"I don't know what we're going to do." The Stone mumbled.

"What we always do, figure it out along the way." He sighed rubbing her back.

"I can't believe he's back." She breathed. "All this time, and he survived, it had to be him, it could have been anyone but it was him."

They snapped their heads in Martha's direction when she mumbled into the phone. "Dad? Just say yes or no. Is there someone else there?"

"Yes!" They heard the cries from the phone. "Just run! Listen to me! Just run! I don't know who they are!"

"Dad?" Martha screamed grabbing her keys out of her pocket. "What's going on? Dad?!"

"We've got to help them." Martha cried out moving to her car.

"That's exactly what they want." The Doctor shouted. "It's a trap!"

"I don't care." She snapped. Getting into the driver seat.

Rita jumped into the back seat with Jack as the Doctor jumped in the front.

Martha then took off speeding down the road narrowly avoiding the traffic.

"Corner!" The Doctor and Rita shouted as Martha jerked the wheel avoiding the car by seconds.

Martha grabbed her phone placing it on speaker and rang her sister. "Come on, Tish. Pick up."

"Get off!" Rita heard Martha's sister scream. "Linda, tell them!"

"What's happening?" Martha shouted. "Tish!" She turned to the Doctor and then glanced at Rita in the mirror. "It's your fault." She angrily gritted her teeth. "It's all your fault!"

"Martha!" Rita shouted at her.

Martha slammed her foot on the brakes seeing guards pulling her mother towards a police van.

"I was helping you!" Her mother shouted. "Get off me!" She then looked up seeing Martha a look of terror on her face. "Martha, get out of here!" She screamed. "Get out!"

"Target identified." The armed police take up position aiming at the car.

"Martha, reverse." The Doctor told her. Rita swallowed grabbing the Doctors arm.

"Take aim." The woman in charge ordered.

"Get out, now!" The Doctor shouted.

"Fire!"

Martha swerved the car around. The Doctor pushed Rita to the floor as Jack did the same diving down as bullets slammed into the car.

"Move it!" He shouted hearing the rear window shatter as the car sped away.

"The only place we can go planet Earth. Great!" Martha shouted throwing her phone down./g

The Doctor shouted grabbing onto the wheel. "Careful!"

"Martha, listen to me." Jack leant between the seats. "Do as I say. We've got to ditch this car. Pull over." He shouted after she ignored him. "Right now!"

They ditched the car at an underpass. The Doctor, Rita and Jack walked on. Martha slowly walked behind on her phone. The Doctor looked round and snapped at her. "Martha, come on!"

"Leo! Oh, thank God." Martha gasped into her phone. "Leo, you got to listen to me. Where are you" she paused as he spoke then continued. "Leo, just listen to me. Don't go home. I'm telling you. Don't phone Mum or Dad or Tish." She pleaded. "You've got to hide. On my life. You've got to trust me. Go to Boxer's. Stay with him. Don't tell anyone. Just hide." Martha then screamed into the phone. "Let them go, Saxon. Do you hear me! Let them go!" The Doctor and Rita spun around. The Doctor grabbed the phone and walked away from Martha and Jack, Rita following behind him.

"I'm here." He said into the phone.

Rita leant closer to him so she could hear the call. "Doctor."

"Master." He coldly replied.

"I like it when you use my name."

"You chose it. Psychiatrist's field day."

"As you chose yours. The man who makes people better. I guess that the Stone is there with you, practically glued together, never understood why she decided you."

"I'm here." She hissed.

"So, Prime Minister, then." The Doctor interrupted.

"I know." Rita could hear him practically grin into the phone. "It's good, isn't it?"

"Who are those creatures?" The Doctor asked. "Because there's no such thing as the Toclafane. It's just a made-up name, like the Bogeyman."

"Do you remember all those fairy tales about the Toclafane when we were kids?" He asked then continued talking before they answered. "Back home. Where is it, Doctor, Stone?"

"Gone." They both replied.

"How can Gallifrey be gone?" He snapped.

"It burnt."

"And the Time Lords?"

"Dead." The Doctor replied sadly looking at the brunette beside him. She rested a hand on his arm letting him know that she was there. "And the Daleks, more or less. What happened to you?"

"The Time Lords only resurrected me because they knew I'd be the perfect warrior for a Time War. I was there when the Dalek Emperor took control of the Cruciform. I saw it. I ran. I ran so far. Made myself human so they would never find me, because I was so scared."

"I know."

"All of them?" The Master asked. "But the Stone escaped so what happened?"

"I took the family TARDIS and ran."

"You stole the family TARDIS?" He growled at her. "You didn't have that right."

"Don't try and tell me about my rights" She gritted her teeth. "I got shot by a Dalek and regenerated then became scared that it was only me left." She swallowed. "So I went into a Parallel universe before the walls closed."

"But not you Doctor, which must mean..."

"I was the only one who could end it." The Doctor interrupted. "And I tried. I did. I tried everything."

"What did it feel like, though?" The Master asked. "Two almighty civilisations burning. Oh, tell me, how did that feel?"

Rita felt him tense up as he snapped into the phone. "Stop it!"

"You must have been like God." He laughed.

"That's enough!" Rita snapped at him growling.

"I've been alone ever since until the Stone came back. Then it was just us." He sighed. "But not anymore. Don't you see? All we've got is each other."

"Are you asking me out on a date?" The Master laughed. "The Stone wouldn't like that now would she?"

"You could stop this right now." The Doctor changed the conversation. We could leave this planet. We can fight across the constellations, if that's what you want, but not on Earth."

"Too late."

"Why do you say that?"

"The drumming. Can't you hear it?" The Master asked them. "I thought it would stop, but it never does. Never ever stops. Inside my head, the drumming, Doctor. The constant drumming."

"We could help you. Please, let us help."

"The Stone already tried." Rita shivered slightly. Even for a second, the pain of that beat was unbearable. Constantly having that in your head was enough to make anyone go mad. "It's everywhere." He then hushed to a whisper. "Listen, listen, listen. Here come the drums. Here come the drums."

They spun round seeing a man nearby hitting his leg in the rhythm.

"What have you done?" The Doctor hissed.

"Leave them alone! We can fight on other planets they have done nothing wrong!" Rita shouted loudly.

"What are those creatures? Tell me!" The Doctor shouted over the brunette.

"Ooo look." The Master hummed. "You're on TV."

The Doctor snapped at him. "Stop it. Answer me."

"No, really. You're on telly. You and your little band, which, by the way, is ticking every demographic box. So, congratulations on that." He applauded them. "Look, there you are." They moved to a window seeing the TV inside a show showing a broadcast. 'Nationwide Hunt For Terrorist Suspects' the screen then brought up photos of the four. 'They are known to be armed and extremely dangerous.'

"Armed with what." Rita scoffed at how annoying she knew the media could be from when she was human.

"You're public enemies number one, two, three and four." The Master said ignoring the Time Lady's comment. "Oh, and you can tell handsome Jack that I've sent his little gang off on a wild goose chase to the Himalayas, so he won't be getting any help from them." He laughed. "Now, go on, off you go. Why not start by turning to the right?" Rita frowned and did as he said then noticed the flashing light on the CCTV camera.

"Little privacy please." She spat pointing her sonic at the camera and watching it spark.

"Oh, you always enjoyed meddling with things haven't you Stone?" He cackled. "Better start running. Go on, run."

"He's got control of everything." The Doctor ran a hand through his hair.

"What do we do?" Martha worryingly asked looking at them both.

"We've got nowhere to go."

"Doctor, Stone, what do we do?" Martha repeated.

"Run, Doctor, Stone." He mocked. "Run for your lives!"

The Doctor looked down at Rita who nodded. They took the each other's hand then looked at Jack and Martha both replying in a monotone voice: "We run."

----------------------------------------------------------------

The four found an abandoned warehouse to hide in as they planned what to do, Martha left to go and buy some chips to eat while the Doctor and Rita thought of what to do next while Jack typed away at the keyboard.

Jack looked up noticing Martha had come back. "How was it?"

"I don't think anyone saw me." She sat down. "Anything new?"

Jack gestured to the laptop. "I've got this tuned to government wavelengths so we can follow what Saxon's doing."

"Yeah, I meant about my family." She snapped.

"It still says the Jones family taken in for questioning." The Doctor informed. "Tell you what, though. No mention of Leo."

"He's not as daft as he looks." Martha then shivered her face falling. "I'm talking about my brother on the run. How did this happen?"

"Nice chips." Jack chuckled grabbing a couple.

"Actually, they're not bad." The Doctor shrugged then looked at Rita as he held one. She rolled her eyes and opened her mouth as he placed one in.

"I'm not a pet you have to hand feed Doctor." She rolled her eyes. "Plus any chips not containing Krillitain oil is bound to be better."

"Krillitain what?" Martha looked at her, Rita went to explain but was cut off by Jack.

"So, Doctor, who is he? How come the ancient society of Time Lords created a psychopath?"

"And what is he to you?" Martha asked looking at him. "Like a colleague or...?"

"A friend, at first."

"I thought you were going to say he was your secret brother or something."

"Martha you need to cut down on the amount of TV you watch, sadly he is my cousin." The brunette muttered. "Not that he acts like family."

"He's your cousin?!" Martha blinked at the Time Lady. "But he's..."

"He's?" She raised a brow.

"Completely mad, insane."

"That's what the high council do for you." She sighed.

"But all the legends of Gallifrey made it sound so perfect," Jack said.

"Well, perfect to look at, maybe." The Doctor nodded in agreement.

"Oh, it was, beautiful," Rita said in awe. "They used to call it the Shining World of the Seven Systems."

"And on the Continent of Wild Endeavour, in the Mountains of Solace and Solitude, there stood the Citadel of the Time Lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe," the Doctor added. "Looking down on the galaxies below. Sworn never to interfere, only to watch."

"They would be horrified seeing us now." Rita laughed. "My parents would disown me in an instant if they saw the way I act, especially how much I apparently act like the Doctor now."

"Perhaps that's a good thing?" He raised a brow smirking at her.

"Maybe it is." She laughed.

The Doctor then continued his explanation. "Children of Gallifrey, taken from their families age of eight to enter the Academy. And some say that's when it all began. When he was a child. That's when the Master saw eternity. As a novice, he was taken for initiation. He stood in front of the Untempered Schism. It's a gap in the fabric of reality through which could be seen the whole of the vortex."

"You stand there, eight years old, staring at the raw power of time and space, just a child." Rita then added sounding slightly disgusted. She always disagreed with many of the ways the high council and other Time Lords were, even more so when she met the Doctor.

"Some would be inspired, some would run away, and some would go mad." The Doctor then shivered taking Rita's hand. "I don't know."

"What about you?"

"Oh, the ones that ran away, I never stopped."

"I, on the other hand, wanted to see it all." Rita chuckled. "I was more or less inspired and wanted to see the universe, its one of the reasons I started creating things and learning about it all, my parents saw how clever I became from my hobby and pushed me too far, tried to stop me from seeing my friends and to focus on my studies and eventually they pushed me away." She sighed. The Doctor looked at her sadly and kissed her temple knowing it was a hard subject, but she wanted to talk about it, she wanted to be able to put it behind her after all these centuries and he would support her.

They looked at Jack's arm as his vortex manipulator beeped. "Encrypted channel with files attached. Don't recognise it."

"Patch it through to the laptop." The Doctor told him.

"Since we're telling stories," Jack muttered. "There's something I haven't told you." Rita glanced at the screen her eyes snapping to Jack knowing how much it affected the Doctor after seeing the logo of Torchwood on the laptop.

"You work for Torchwood." The Doctor coldly hissed

"I swear to you, it's different. It's changed. There's only half a dozen of us now." Jack protested.

"Everything Torchwood did, and you're part of it?" He hissed.

"The old regime was destroyed at Canary Wharf." He promised. "I rebuilt it, I changed it, and when I did that, I did it for you in your honour. Both of you."

The Doctor looked over at Rita who looked at him telling him to drop the subject, sighing he angrily hit play and a video began to play.

There was a woman sitting at a desk looking worried. "If I haven't returned to my desk by twenty-two hundred, this file will be emailed to Torchwood. Which means if you're watching this, then I'm..." She paused then shook her head. "Anyway, the Saxon files are attached. But take a look at the Archangel document. That's when it all started. When Harry Saxon became Minister in charge of launching the Archangel Network."

"What is this Archangel Network?" Rita asked looking at Martha.

"I've got Archangel. Everyone's got it."

"It's a mobile phone network," Jack explained as an image of the earth appeared showing multiple satellites around it. "Because look, it's gone worldwide. They've got fifteen satellites in orbit. Even the other networks, they're all carried by Archangel."

"It's in the phones!" The Doctor and Rita realised as he grabbed Marthas phone sonicing it.

"Oh, I said he was a hypnotist." The Doctor said. "Wait, wait, wait. Hold on." He lightly hit it on the table.

"Of course." Rita breathed hearing the beeping in the rhythm of what she heard all them years ago. "It's in the subconscious, that rhythm over and over again."

"What is it, mind control?"

"No, no, no, no, no." The Doctor replied before Rita could. "It's subtler than that. Any stronger and people would question it. But contained in that rhythm, in layers of code, Vote Saxon. Believe in me. Whispering to the world." He looked at Rita "Oh, yes! That's how he hid himself from us, because we should have sensed there was another Time Lord on Earth. We should have known way back."

"The signal cancelled him out." Rita guessed and he nodded.

"Any way you two can stop it?"

"Not from down here." He replied. "But now we know how he's doing it."

"And we can fight back." Martha beamed.

"Oh, yes!"

"Won't take a few minutes or so." Rita stretched. "Sorry Martha I need your phone and laptop, I'll fix them back up later though." She muttered taking the laptop and started to remove parts of it while the Doctor took parts from the phone. Rita then pulled out her key as Jack and Martha did the same handing their keys over. The Time Lords then sonically welded the parts of the phone and laptop to the key before Rita held one up in the air admiring her work. "Not bad for a laptop, phone and four TARDIS keys." She shrugged.

"Four TARDIS keys. Four pieces of the TARDIS, all with low-level perception properties because the Tardis is designed to blend in."

"Meant to." Rita corrected the Doctor. "I like it as the phone box anyways."

"Well, sort of." He trailed off for a moment. "But now, the Archangel Network's got a second low-level signal." He then backed up taking a key with him. "Weld the key to the network and Martha, look at me. You can see me, yes?"

"Yes." She nodded.

"What about now?" He placed the key with the string around his neck. Martha frowned trying to focus on him, her eyes slowly drifted to the side.

The Doctor could see this was working and waved at her. "No, I'm here. Look at me."

"It's like I know you're there, but I don't want to know."

"And back again." He took the key off stepping forward. "See?"

Rita then cut in explaining. "It shifts your perception a tiny bit. It doesn't make us invisible, just unnoticed."

The Doctor clicked his fingers thinkings. "Oh, I know what it's like... It's like, it's like when you fancy someone and they don't even know you exist." Rita looked at the Doctor a little guilty remembering back to a day where they were both in the library talking and he brought up a topic which then led on to them both confessing when they noticed they had feelings for one another. The Doctor looked at her sadly knowing what she was thinking about. "Don't blame yourself." He told her. "It wasn't like you would have known." He kissed her cheek causing the brunette to blush knowing that Jack and Martha were watching. "Come on." He took her hand leading them out of the warehouse.

Jack noticed the look on Martha's face. "You too, huh?"

"It isn't like I can say anything." She sighed. "They're both Time Lords and have known each other for years." She muttered walking out after them.

They walked under a bridge as the Doctor quietly explained. "Don't run, don't shout. Just keep your voice down. Draw attention to yourself and the spell is broken. Just keep to the shadows."

"Like ghosts."

The Doctor and Rita nodded. "Yeah, that's what we are. Ghosts." They placed the keys around their necks. The Doctor and Rita took the lead with Jack and Martha just behind them.

-----

And now we know just exactly who the Master is... 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

15K 468 21
With the Doctor and the Stone still alive and the silence gone how long can they go throughout the universe unnoticed with another Time Lady at their...
10.3K 499 27
"I can't figure out how to show you how much you mean to me. You are my golden girl, my dearest friend. I am incredibly lucky to have you next to me...
12.6K 270 22
When the Doctor smashes through a train's roof in Sheffield, an old friend just happens to be there. Problem is, the Doctor doesn't remember her. Wha...
8.2K 288 25
Book Two Amanda Reed was found knocked out near some flats and was rushed to the hospital. When she woke up, the only thing she could remember was he...