Tale of the Nine-Tailed Ninja

By Casbearrulez

Nari isn't a normal ninja. She was raised by rogues, has hunted to feed herself, and most importantly, she's... More

Tale of the Nine-Tailed Ninja
Beyond Satisfactory
The Village Hidden in the Leaves
You Honestly Don't Remember Me?

The Other Demon Child

171 9 1
By Casbearrulez

We get to see Gaara in this chapter!

______________________________

As one might imagine, a four-year-old on a mission tends to get distracted. Sure, I went to several hidden villages within a matter of four years, but I always seemed to take the long way around. I met many rogue ninja who were willing to teach me in that time. I learned a lot and I killed a lot too. I didn’t like being used though and there were many rogues that ended up dying by my hand. Everyone underestimates the child.

By the time I reached the last hidden village that was either going to make me a ninja of honor or a rogue, I had earned a new name: The Demon Child. Technically, since nine-tailed foxes were considered demons for whatever reason, I was a demon child. I didn’t mind the name and most rogues, even though they spoke of The Demon Child, didn’t actually believe in her. My last three teachers didn’t know that I was her until the day they misused me. I had an unwavering set of morals and people always seemed to test it. Fools, I scoffed inwardly at the memory.

Finally, I climbed out of the canyon and looked down upon the Village Hidden in the Sand. A gust of wind blew about and I held up an arm to block the sand. My eight-year-old self, skinny but stronger than many opponents (my teachers all paid special attention to my hand-to-hand combat and chakra control), felt content as I looked down about the village. Whether these people accepted me or not was of little matter. I had made it to the ultimate crossroad of my life. No matter the outcome, my life wouldn’t be the same.

I scurried down the cliff and into the village. Many villagers paid no attention to me as I hurried through the crowd. I saw a lot of ninja walking about, all seeming extremely powerful. I didn’t care. I had grown more confident in my abilities. I could beat just about any ninja. I had even created a jutsu all my own. The only thing I hadn’t mastered enough to be considered a good nine-tailed ninja was my ability to change forms. No matter how hard I tried, I had only shifted twice in the past seven years of my life, one into nine-tailed fox form, the other back to a human. The actual time I spent in my animal form was maybe a minute. It was miserable.

I shook such thoughts from my head and snuck around, peeking into various windows. I came upon a butcher shop and nearly fell to my knees. The blood! I smell so much blood! “Get yourself together, Nari,” I growled. In seven years, I had never tasted raw meat, never tasted blood. It was killing my beastly half. The only thing I could do to appease its insatiable hunger was to eat the bone marrow of the animals I did kill. I couldn’t eat raw meat safely in human form, no matter the urges.

I quickly ran from the butcher shop, needing to get away from the blood. I leapt up to a rooftop and caught the edge with my fingertips. I heaved myself up despite the murmurs that had started below me. I didn’t care if the villagers saw me. To them I was some rude, strange kid. Why would their opinions matter any? Of course, they weren’t actually talking. Most refrained from even glancing at me. It was a gift of the nine-tailed ninja, the ability to read minds. More like a curse. I already found it annoying and it was only supposed to grow stronger with age. One day, I’d have people screaming at me with their thoughts. I was supposed to learn how to block them out but I didn’t know where to begin. I tried meditating but nothing worked. I always heard everyone’s thoughts and they were louder when they were thinking about me.

“Hey, girl!” I stopped mid-run as I went to jump to the next roof. My ears perked up at being called to. I didn’t have to scan the area for the source of the voice. My hearing was better than that, another supposed gift. Really, hearing wasn’t all that bad but the lack of control over my senses was awful. I was supposed to be able to dim them at will, according to the scroll, but I couldn’t figure out how. It was so frustrating!

“Yes?” I called back softly, looking at the ninja. He was obviously a jonin. I saw the mark of the sand village on his headband. He was tall and extremely muscular. A scar ran across his exposed face. He had a hard look in his eyes, as though he wished to kill something and that his next victim might, possibly, be me.

“Where are you from? What’s your village? Where’s your passport?” the ninja asked, pointing to the headband still around my waist. I hesitated, unsure how to explain to this ninja my particular circumstance. All the other jonin I had talked to hadn’t even heard of a nine-tailed ninja, nor the Village of the Nine-Tailed Fox, which was what the symbol on my headband stood for.

The other ninja was impatient and stormed over to me. I let him grab my arm and hoist me into the air, staring at my headband. “I – I don’t recognize the symbol,” he stuttered, utterly shocked.

“I don’t know how to explain it simply,” I said softly. “Will you take me to the Kazekage though? I want an audience with him.”

“What for?” the ninja growled, showing that he wasn’t going to allow any funny business around the Kazekage. This was the reception I had gotten from the other jonin I had asked to take me to their Kage.

“Well, obviously, my headband is from no village you’re familiar with. In fact, I’m the last ninja from there and it’s pretty much useless. I was hoping to find a new village that I might be able to protect and serve.”

“You’re just a kid. You can’t seriously expect me to believe you’re a ninja.”

“Oh, but I am. I can prove it. I know quite a few jutsu, all from varying villages and elements. I can produce shadow clones, wind swords, earth walls, and more. I’m not a marvel really, not for my village, but I am different.”

“Why doesn’t your village want you anymore if you can really do all of that?”

“Because my village is deep in Fire country and I’m also the last civilian. It’s all but destroyed now.”

“Why not go to the Village Hidden in the Leaves then?”

“Because, like you, the jonin questioned me extensively, not believing a word out of my mouth, and never took me to the Hokage. I’m running out of options.” I didn’t mention all the other Kage I had spoken to first, all of them denying me. They had enough kunoichi. They didn’t need me.

“Fine, I’ll take you to the Kazekage.” I nearly sprang out of his grasp with my overwhelming joy. Despite all the time I had spent trying to control my chakra, a small burst escaped, stabbing into the ninja’s hand.

“Sorry,” I said softly, looking guiltily at my feet as he dropped me from the pain. “I’m still working on that.” The guy stared at me as if he thought I was some freak of nature. Technically, I was but…

“Just follow me, kid.” He kept his distance after that, but watched me extensively as he led (more like herded) me to the Kazekage. I walked into a dank room and across from me, protected by iron bars, were three people. I instinctively dropped to my knees, recognizing the Kazekage in the center, thanks to his clothing.

“Who is this?” the man asked slightly impatiently.

“She’s a young ninja wishing to join our village’s ranks, sir.”

“But who is she?” The Kazekage seemed to have a short temper. Patience is a virtue, I hummed to myself, not feeling the stress in the situation. The ninja who had brought me wanted to strangle me and flee for his life at the same time. The Kazekage’s mind was distracted by some other thoughts that sounded like unintelligible whispering to me. The other two on either side of him were sizing me up, seeing if I was worth the risk of being a spy and other things their imagination could strike up. c

“Uh…” the jonin muttered.

“Nari Ninetails, at your service,” I said formally, standing up and taking a low bow. All the different villages had different cultures but I always tried to be as respectful as possible to the Kage. I dropped back to my knees after introducing myself. All four of the ninja deemed me a strange, obviously foreign child.

“She’s definitely from another village but I doubt she’s a spy,” one of the Kazekage’s advisers muttered.

“Yes,” the other agreed. “No village in their right mind would send this dimwit as a spy. Not unless they were desperate.” Even so, I heard the Kazekage think. Suddenly, he snapped to full attention, taking in every detail of my body as he could.

“Stand,” he ordered. “And look straight forward.” I did as I was bid, going into my best posture. I wanted to make the best first impression possible. Did she say her name was Nari Ninetails? Could it really be the Nightmare of the Village Hidden in the Leaves? The Demon Child of Fire? As he studied me he declared, Yes, yes it is. “Be gone with you!” he roared unexpectedly. “I’ll not have anything to do with another demon child. Go before I have my jonin kill you.”

“I beg you to reconsider that threat, Lord Kazekage,” I said coolly, in the most respectful way possible. Yes, I was being rude but he had offended me. What had I ever done to him? “I also beg you to reconsider your decision. Yes, I am a demon child, an extremely powerful one, and I assure you that this is a decision you will only live to regret for a few moments. Your death will be quick but painful. Do not consider this a threat, Lord Kazekage. I speak only the truth.”

“How dare you speak to Lord Kaze…?” The jonin was silenced by a wave of the Kazekage’s hand.

“I’ve dealt with those like you…” Doubtful, I thought before interrupting him.

“Do not be mistaken, Lord Kazekage. I am not a child with a demon sealed within her, for I have recently heard of such things. I am a demon who happens to be a child. One day I will be a demon that looks like a woman. Then, when I kill you, I will show you my true form and you will see that I am, and have always been, a pure demon.” Despite the fact that he stilled his own trembling body, I could hear his fear screaming in his mind. He believed me, just as he should. “It is no matter, anyhow,” I ended softly. “I wish you a fine evening, Lord Kazekage.” I stepped past the jonin who was literally cowering in my presence and went back outside to the fresh air.

I probably shouldn’t stick around too long, I thought as I perambulated the village, peeking at interesting sights. I was tired though, from my journey and chakra outburst, and, of course, the encounter with the Kazekage. In fact, I was exhausted and instead of looking for a well-protected place, as I should have, I curled up in the back of an alley and promptly fell asleep.

►§◄

What a pretty, full moon, I thought as I stared up at the sky, waking slowly. It truly was. Its surface sparkled out light, radiating across the sand village, turning it into a mysterious collection of uneven buildings. The shadows turned my alley into a pitch-black abyss. Doors and windows looked like gaping eyes and mouths. No lights flickered from the windows of buildings. All was silent and still.

I stretched like a cat, my hands reaching out in front of me, and then I sprang to my feet. Such beauty should be explored. It had been a long time since I last gazed upon such a magnificent sight. Tonight, the boundaries between civilization and nature were blurred, just like in my soul. I was hungry though, and I knew I’d have to hunt soon. There were jackrabbits outside of the village, I had seen them on my way in, but they’d be nigh impossible to find in the night.

I wandered slowly, carefully out of my alley. No matter the circumstances, I had to be alert and prepared for attack. I didn’t know my enemies like most did. I had to be precautious. Who knew when one might appear and strike?

I jumped up and again scrambled onto a rooftop. I peered around, taking in the sights. I smelt blood, fresh blood. Hunger took its toll, my instincts desiring to devour the wounded being. I stooped into a crouch and slowly advanced to my newfound prey, using my sense of smell as a guide. I was almost upon them, separated only by the slant of a roof when an ear-piercing scream rang out. I jumped in surprise at the sight before me.

“Gaara, no, don’t!” I was peeking over the top of the roof, down at a little boy who had his victim incased in sand. A second one lay dead at the boy’s feet. The victim was a ninja, probably a jonin, and his pleas were futile. The little boy closed his hand in a fist and his victim was crushed instantly.

“Whoa! How did you do that?” I exclaimed, leaping from my hiding place. The boy looked at me with cold, ice blue eyes. He wasn’t much younger than me, if not the same age or older. It was hard to tell in the night, looking as sad and lost as he did. “Will you teach me how?” I practically begged. If I could control sand like that, then I wouldn’t have to be so afraid of my enemies. Blood rained down on top of us but I didn’t flinch. I looked eagerly towards the boy who just stared back.

“Who are you?” he demanded in a cold voice, but I saw how frightened he was. Maybe he wasn’t used to killing people? I wondered why he had done it in the first place. Did they hurt him or something? No, I couldn’t see a scratch on the kid. The blood I had smelt must’ve been from his first victim.

“Nari Ninetails, at your service,” I said formally, taking a bow. “Are you Gaara?” He nodded slowly, watching me as though I was tiger about to strike.

“How did you know?”

“That guy said your name when he was pleading for his life. I guess he shouldn’t have messed with you, huh? He was a fool. What did he do anyway?”

“He came to assassinate me,” Gaara said softly. Finally, my eyes discerned a teddy bear he was hugging to his chest.

“Whoever sent him must be really afraid of you to try something so desperate.” Gaara nodded again. “You look scared, Gaara. What are you afraid of with all that sand you can use to protect yourself? There’s nothing to be afraid of. I’m not going to hurt you.”

“Really?” he asked incredulously. This kid must be a lot like me. I wonder if he has any friends at all.

“Why would I hurt you?”

“Because… Because I’m a demon child.”

“You too?” I exclaimed excitedly. No wonder why he was all alone. I wondered if this was the demon child that the Kazekage hinted about. He peered at me with a new burst of curiosity.

“You’re a demon child?”

“Yeah.” I crawled along the roof, sitting next to him and staring at the moon.

“Do you ever… Do you ever thirst for blood?” I cocked my head to the side, analyzing that question.

“Yeah, I do, but not the way you do, I think. I actually thirst to drink blood and eat raw meat. I don’t just want to kill.”

“And do you ever actually do it?”

“Well, not with the blood and raw meat no. But I do crave bone marrow too, so I eat that sometimes. I like it.

“You eat bones?”

“I eat the spongy stuff inside of bones.”

“So if I brought you a bone, you’d eat the stuff in the middle?”

“Yup!” Gaara jumped up and ran towards his first victim’s body. The other’s was laying in splatters all around. “Well, not humans’. I was told not to do that.”

“Oh,” he muttered softly and then came back to me. “You seem so… happy. Aren’t you upset that you’re a demon child?”

“Why would I be? I am what I am and my demon side makes me powerful and strong. I embrace who I am. Why would I deny my own nature?”

“But it’s not really your nature; it’s your demon’s nature.” He must be a child with a demon inside of him. Poor kid. Maybe that’s why he’s so scared. He’s scared of himself. It’s not in his nature to kill, at least not yet. It’s the demon making him a blood thirsty and ruthless killing machine.

“Not for me. I am a demon. I just happen to look like a child. You must have a demon trapped inside of you.” Gaara nodded. “Still, I think we’re one in the same. I bet our demonic aspect isn’t the only thing we have in common. We’re both lonely too.”

“You’re lonely?” Gaara asked. “Don’t you have adult demons to take care of you?” I shook my head.

“I’d expect that you’d have your parents to look after you. I mean, you’re still human.” He shook his head sadly, looking down and crushing his teddy bear.

“My mom’s dead and my dad hates me.” My jaw dropped. Not even I had it that bad. “Who told you not to eat humans if no one takes care of you?”

“This did,” I volunteered, pulling out my scroll. It was top secret but Gaara didn’t seem to be one to betray my secrets. He took it from my hand and opened it up, somehow managing to read it in the dim light.

“A nine-tailed ninja?”

“Mm-hm. I’m a nine-tailed fox demon with the ability to shape-shift into human form.”

“Like a transformation jutsu?” A transformation jutsu? I’ve never heard of that. Still, transform… It’s probably the same.

“Yeah, but I do it naturally. I don’t have to use any chakra to change. I don’t even have to use hand signs.”

“Show me.”

“Well, I can’t,” I reluctantly said, grabbing my upper arm. “I haven’t figured out how to do it at will. It just happens. But will you show me how to control the sand?”

“I can’t,” he answered, almost laughing. A small smile touched his lips at the irony but it didn’t reach his eyes. Poor kid doesn’t know how to live anymore. “It’s the demon that controls the sand. I know some jutsu to help make it do what I please, but mostly it does it on its own. It doesn’t even let anyone touch me anymore.”

“Really?” I exclaimed, going out to touch his arm. A wall of sand sprang up. There was sand all over the place and I was surprised at how fast it moved to protect him. “Cool,” I mumbled, dragging my fingers along the hard sand. “I’m so jealous.”

“But you’re an actual demon. You must have things you can do that no one else can.”

“Oh, yeah. I do! Watch this.” I stood up and walked a little ways away from Gaara. I still had issues with chakra control and I didn’t want to hurt him on accident, even if his sand could somehow protect him. I moved my hands in an intricate, long pattern and then shouted, “Nine Tails Jutsu!” Tails formed by wind appeared on top of the roof, surrounding me. It was like Gaara’s sand, nothing could touch me when I was inside. I let the jutsu go, the tails disappearing, and went back to Gaara’s side. His wall had fallen.

“Does it only work with wind?”

“No. The first time I did it, I was in a forest and the tails were made up of tree roots. I’ve done it with fire before too. I think it just has to be made up of something surrounding me. I’m sure I could do it with sand if I wanted to.” Gaara nodded.

“I’m glad I didn’t kill you,” he said softly. I was taken aback, at first, but then relaxed. He had probably thought about it simply because of his unusual situation.

“Yeah, me too. We could learn so much together. We could protect each other!” I waited anxiously for his reply to the offer I had just made.

“You mean… You mean you want to stay with me?”

“Uh-huh.”

“Oh. I…” He glanced down at his teddy bear. “I’d like that a lot. Allies?” he asked, sticking out his hand.

“Friends,” I corrected, grabbing the sand that formed around him. I smiled, laughing at it. I’d tease him for that, his over protective sand. Gaara smiled back and put his hand down. “Anyway, it’s late. You should probably sleep.”

“I don’t sleep.” I stared at him. Could that seriously be true? “My demon…”

“Right, right. Whatever. It doesn’t matter. But I sleep and I have to go hunting tomorrow so I hope you don’t mind if I rest.”

“You’re not freaked out by that?”

“No. I told you, Gaara, just accept who you are. There’s nothing wrong with you, even if you are a demon child.”

“O – Okay. I’ll protect you while you sleep.”

“Thanks, Gaara,” I muttered, curling up into a ball on the rooftop. I heard his frequent breathing but his mind was silent. There wasn’t even a humming noise like I got from other people who weren’t thinking about me. His demon must be shielding his mind from me. That’s okay. I doubt Gaara will hurt me. It looks like I’m the only friend he has. I slowly drifted off, reassuring myself that I was safe as long as I was with him, even if we did have a corpse a mere yard away and were covered in blood. None of that mattered. The only thing that mattered was that Gaara needed me, just as much as I needed him.

When I finally awoke, the sun was high in the area. I looked around but Gaara was nowhere to be found, the corpse had disappeared too and the blood splatters had been washed away by something, besides those on me. I could feel the thick crust of dry blood on my clothes, face, body, and hair. He must’ve cleaned up his mess and then wandered off.

I got up and first went to a well in the middle of the village. Other children were there, cooling off with the water. I washed the blood off me and no one seemed to find it odd that a little girl was covered in someone else’s blood. It didn’t alarm me though. As long as no one messed with me, I was all right.

Afterwards, I looked all over for Gaara. I did so discreetly, hiding in the shadows, peering around corners. There was nothing. Not a trace of him. It was as if he had never existed but no. I had been covered in blood. He had to have been there. I tried to search a couple people’s minds to see if they had seen him, but I couldn’t.

I stayed in the Village Hidden in the Sand for three days, searching for my friend but he was gone. I gave up sadly and decided it was time I get going too. I looked back at the village before traveling into the desert again, hunting jackrabbits along the way. I’d miss him, whoever he was. And I learned from that, that no matter how genuine someone might seem, I couldn’t believe everything they said. I learned not to trust strangers so easily and to keep away from large groups of people. I was better off alone and it was time I dealt with it. That’s probably why the gods made me alone in the first place.

I went along my way, hoping to cross paths with another rogue ninja who was willing to teach me. I found them. I found lots of them and I found those who would later become my enemies too.

_________________________________________________

I hope you enjoyed and please like or leave a comment!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

95.8K 2.1K 34
Long ago in a village hidden in the leaves two demons had a ferocious battle. The demons being the nine tailed fox and the ten tailed wolf. their tai...
39.4K 319 11
The Most powerful Ninja in the world and his New Harem of Ninja Girls. Mature the Adult Language and Possible Lemons
2.7K 76 13
This is the story of (Y/N) Akima. Nine tails fox attacked the village hidden in the leaf and almost destroyed it if not for the 4th hokage but this t...
19.3K 689 12
Hiroto Uzumaki is the twin brother of Naruto Uzumaki, but unlike his brother, Hiroto possesses red hair and is more hot-tempered than Naruto. Upon hi...