Last Resort (New) (Book 1)

By JillyMooseMac

(Book 1 of the Last Trilogy) Maggie Black used to be a good girl. Always doing as she was told. Seven years a... More

Chapter 1 - Explusion
Chapter 2 - A New Start
Chapter 3 - Meeting the roommates
Chapter 4 - Time To Celebrate
Chapter 5 - Welcome Back
Chapter 6 - Spaghetti
Chapter 7 - Time To Eat
Chapter 8 - Should've Run Girlie
Chapter 9 - Ryder's Feelings
Chapter 10 - Waking Up
Chapter 11 - Happy Birthday
Chapter 12 - The Lake (Part 1)
Chapter 13 - The Lake (Part 2)
Chapter 14 - Dinner and a Show
Chapter 15 - Ballroom Basics
Chapter 16 - Rip It Off
Chapter 17 - Meet Rilee
Chapter 18 - Why So Serious?
Chapter 19 - Doctor Daniel
Chapter 20 - Shopping Gone Wrong
Chapter 21 - No Way!
Chapter 22 - Period
Chapter 23 - Hey Max
Chapter 24 - Who's Talia?
Chapter 25 - Staight Up Concern
Chapter 26 - The Flood
Chapter 27 - Family
Chapter 29 - No Sex in the Pool
Chapter 30 - You're in Danger
Chapter 31 - Red or Blue
Chapter 32 - Not Again
Chapter 33 - Shattered
Chapter 34 - Start Wearing Colours
Sneak Peak

Chapter 28 - The New Girl, Again

22 0 0
By JillyMooseMac

Chapter 28 - The New Girl, Again

-Maggie's POV-

I took a deep breath as I stood beside Ryder's truck. I faced Rilee's school and just saw lots of people walking in and out. The wind whipped passed me, flattening my clothes against my body and pulling my hair in every direction. It's been a week since Max and I moved in with the Maddison's and so far we haven't heard a peep from our mother about it.

"Have you heard about Ryan?" I asked Ryder, who stood beside me.

"They started the transfusion a week ago, he's responding well but it's still early days. If he responds well they'll start with the treatment." He said as he leant against his truck.

"Are we just gonna stand here all day?" I glanced at Rilee who seemed bored as she sat on Ryder's hood. Max stood next to her. During the week, Max had done some testing. His over all score was so high that they let him join Rilee's year instead of being with Ryder and I. It was still better than him going all the way back to grade five though.

I let out a nervous breath. I knew I shouldn't feel this way. I'd been to tons of school. Always the new girl. Always new. I shook my head and pushed off Ryder's truck.

"Yes your majesty." I said, rolling my eyes. Rilee jumped down, with Max's help, with a smirk plastered to her face.

"Relax Maggie." Rilee chuckled and I shoved her backwards into Max. I chuckled as they both blushed.

"Get ready Maxie. Those girls will eat you alive." I said before I exaggerated flipping my hair and started towards the front office. I got my timetable and locker number then waited as Ryder and Max got theirs as well. Then Rilee showed us our lockers. Turned out mine is two down from Max and across the hall from Ryder's which is five down from Rilee's. The first bell rang and Rilee quickly told us where to go before sprinting off to her own class. I sucked in a breath before I shook my head and smirked. Then I spun on my heels and walked away from Ryder and Max. I glanced around the classrooms.

"Are you lost?" I smirked as I heard the deep voice behind me. I turned it into an innocent smile as I spun to face the guy standing behind me. He had longish blonde hair and electric blue eyes. He stood about six foot tall and looked like an American Football player.

"Yeah. Could you help me?" I said sweetly.

"It would be my pleasure little lady." I smirked inwardly at his attempt at a Texan accent. It didn't really work.

"Where're you heading?" I held out my timetable and his blue eyes scanned it before a small smile lit up his face.

"Well, little lady, we just happen to have the same class. Shall we?" He made a sweeping gesture with his hand and I chuckled before I nodded.

"Maggie." I said as I held my hand out to the side.

"Tyson." I shook his hand briefly. I walked beside him through the halls until we reached one door and he held it open. I held back a small blush as I moved into the room. I ignored all the stares and questioning looks as I just moved to an empty seat in the back. I held my head high as I opened my books. I had a smile on my face as Tyson took a seat next to me.

The class passed just like every other class. I ignored the curious glances that were sent my way as I took notes. The bell rang and I stood, packing up my stuff.

"What do you have next?" Tyson asked as we made a our way to the door. I pulled out my timetable.

"Maths Methods." I said and Tyson's eyebrows went up his forehead.

"What are you? Super smart?" He asked playfully and I chuckled.

"That I am." I responded softly.

"Maggie!" I looked up as Rilee ran at me dragging Max behind her. I saw him chuckle and shake his head as he took a few steps and got to me before her. He wrapped his arms around me in a quick hug before moving to stand on the opposite side of me to Tyson. I glanced at Tyson and found his eyes on Max's arm that was slung carelessly over my shoulders. I chuckled before turning my attention to Rilee.

"Yes Rilee?" Her eyes went to Tyson beside me.

"Hey Tyson. This is Max." She said as she gestured to Max and the two guys just nodded at each other.

"What did you want Rilee?" I asked carefully.

"Oh, yeah. What do you have next?" She asked with a curious grin.

"Methods." I repeated and her mouth dropped.

"Damn. I got general maths." Max said from my side, disappointed, and I smiled up at him.

"Don't want to be late." I said as I looked at Rilee for directions.

"Just down the hall and to your left." She said pointing behind me.

"Thanks." I smiled at Rilee and Tyson before I squeezed Max's side lightly. He pressed a kiss to my head before letting me go. I waved back at them before turning and heading down the hall way.

"Maggie!?" I stopped as I heard Tyson call my name again. I spun on my heels to face him. He rubbed the back of his neck nervously. I raised an eyebrow at him.

"I was just wondering if you and Max..." He trailed off but I had an idea of where he was going with it.

"If me and Max what?" I asked holding back a smirk. He had to actually ask his question.

"If you two were together?" I bit the inside of my cheek.

"I live with him. We're always together." I said and Tyson cleared his throat.

"No. I was wondering if Max is your boyfriend." He finally got out, frustrated. I chuckled and shook my head.

"Max is my twin." I said.

"I'm her boyfriend." An arm slid over my shoulders and I couldn't help but lean towards the sweet, masculine scent that only belonged to one person. Tyson took a step back with his hands up in a surrendering gesture.

"Sorry man." He mumbled before he sent me a small smile and turned around, walking away.

"Why did you say that?" I asked turning to face Ryder, his arm falling from my shoulders. He raised an eyebrow at me but a smirk replaced it on his lips.

"You didn't deny it." Ryder pointed out and I rolled my eyes. Then his hands moved to rest on the sides of my neck. He bent down and his lips barely touched mine before they moved away. I licked my lips before sinking my teeth into my lower lip to stop myself from leaning towards him, following his lips.

"I think that proves my point." He whispered lowly and my eyes sprang open. I pulled out of his hold and looked up into his chocolate eyes.

"That doesn't mean anything. You have to ask me yourself." I said seriously before I turned and continued on to my methods class. I walked in and took a seat as the rest of the class shuffled in and the teacher took the roll. I was introduced quickly and only offered up a small smile to everyone. I got a few glares from some cake faced girls but shrugged them off easily.

After Methods I went to Legal Studies and repeated the same routine. After that the bell for lunch rang and I sighed in relief. I was actually really hungry. I shoved my books into my locker and felt two arms wrap around my waist.

"What do you want Ryder?" I said as I tried not to lean into his warmth.

"I want you to be my girlfriend." He whispered, his lips grazing my ear. I spun in his arms as I closed my locker. I smiled sweetly up at him. I went on my toes and put my lips close to his.

"You'll have to do better than that." I whispered, my lips just brushing his. I then pulled myself from his hold and walked over to a stunned looking Rilee as she stood at her own locker. I smiled at her and looped my arm through hers before pulling her in the opposite direction of Ryder.

"You know the canteen is the opposite way right?" Rilee said as we turned a corner. I just nodded and she lead the way to the canteen, the long way round. We lined up and I got a cheese focaccia and a bottle of raspberry and apple juice as she got a serve of nachos and a vanilla coke.

"So what's going on with you and Ryder?" Rilee asked as we walked away from the canteen and down some steps. It was the question I'd been waiting for and was surprised she waited this long to ask. I glanced at her before I saw Genie sitting in one of the classrooms with a few other people. Avoiding Rilee's question I moved towards the door of the classroom and knocked. Genie got up smiling at me as she moved to open the door.

"Hey Maggie. Long time no see." She said and I just smiled at her.

"Yeah. I've been busy." I offered as I looked at the two girls and the guy sitting in the room watching us.

"With my brother." I heard Rilee say softly before she pushed passed Genie and I to take a seat across from the girl with long black hair and next to the one with short shoulder length blonde hair. I saw Genie's curious look but thankfully she shook it off and waved me over to sit with them.

"Hey." I said as I sat next to Genie. "I'm Maggie."

"Hey. I'm Cadence, you can just call me Cade." The girl with long black hair said smiling at me. She had pale skin and really light blue eyes. "That's Lillian, we call her Lilli." Cade continued, pointing to the girl with short blonde hair, lightly tanned skin and dark forest green eyes. Lilli sent me a smile as she ate some nachos from Rilee's cardboard box. I chuckled as Rilee sent her a glare.

"And I'm Terrance but everyone calls me Terry." The guy said. Terry had a bushy brown afro that sprung out of his head. I could see his muscles but they weren't very defined. Like he just kind of had them and didn't really work out or anything.

"Nice to meet you all." I said genuinely.

"You too!" Lilli said loudly, distractedly as she tried to grab another of Rilee's nachos. I chuckled before I dug into my focaccia. It crunched loudly as I took a bite out of it and the middle was soft and cheesy. Just the way I liked it.

"So Maggie, got a boyfriend?" I nearly chocked on my juice as Terry asked this.

"Terrance!" Genie and Cade said loudly. Lilli looked interested to know and Rilee sent me a raised eyebrow.

"Uh," I mumbled softly.

"What?" Terry said looking at Genie and Cade.

"You just met her, you can't ask that!" Genie said as if it was obvious.

"And you bat for the same team." Cade said and my eyes widened slightly.

"I didn't mean so I could date her." Terry said with a roll of his bright green eyes. "I just thought that we could help her find a man. Speaking of men, have you guys seen the two new gorgeous specimens that started today? Apparently another two are starting later in the week." His last sentence caught my attention.

"How do you know there are more new students?" I asked quickly.

"They were here the other day, checking it out. And let me tell you, they were yummy." Terrance licked his lips and I laughed.

"What did they look like?" Terry seemed slightly taken back by my eagerness and even Rilee gave me a strange look.

"One had black hair and gorgeous blues eyes the other had black hair and amazing dark brown eyes. Both were tall and totally ripped." Terrance said with a weird concentrating look taking face that turned to a dreamy one when he finished speaking. Pulling out my phone I opened up a photo of Alex and Justin I had, they were both pulling strange faces. They had stollen my phone and set it as my lock screen a few weeks ago. I have to admit the faces were sort of creepy and almost gave me a heart attack when I saw them. It's fair to say I now have a passcode on my phone.

"Are these them?" I asked and showed him the photo. His mouth dropped but he nodded. I just smirked as I locked my phone and put it away. Alex and Justin were coming here.

"You know 'em?" Cade asked. I looked up to see Genie and Rilee sending me knowing looks.

"They're friends of mine." I explained briefly. There was a knock on the window and I turned to find Max standing at the window. I heard someone squeal slightly. I just chuckled. Max stood there, his forehead against the glass, his face set in a creepy smile with one hand beside his head on the glass. I rolled my eyes but held up my hand and waved him in.

"...such a weirdo." I heard Ryder mutter as he moved into the classroom with Max behind him. Max immediately ran at me and jumped on my lap.

"Hey baby girl." He said loudly as he pressed a slobbery kiss to my cheek.

"Ew! Max!" I yelled and shoved him off my lap. He fell to the floor and looked up at me startled.

"Well then." He said sounding extremely put out as he stood up straight and dusted off his clothes. He then made his way around the table and sat on Rilee's lap instead, burying his face into her neck.

"Maggie's being a meany bum." He said his voice sounding hurt, like he was going to cry, and very childish.

"Oh, stop it you big baby." Rilee said and Max's head shot up with his mouth hanging open.

"You are supposed to be the nice one." He said sounding shocked. Who knew my brother was such a good actor? Or so dramatic? Ryder came and pulled up a seat next to me. He sank into it and swung his arm over the back of my chair as Max stood up.

"Fine! I didn't need you anyway!" He yelled before he pulled Lilli's chair back and sat on her lap. She looked shocked but like she was trying not to laugh as well.

"We haven't met. I'm Max, Maggie's twin. Can I sit here? Maggie and Rilee are being buttheads." He said with his arms around Lilli's shoulders so he wouldn't fall off. Lilli giggled.

"I can't imagine why not." She said and I saw her eyes quickly cut towards Rilee before her arms wrapped around Max's waist. Rilee stood and grabbed the back of Max's collar. She pulled him off Lilli's lap and threw him into her chair.

"Sit. Stay." She said as she pulled up another chair and sank into it, between Max and Lilli. I caught Lilli's eyes and saw her wink at me.

"So Maggie? Who is that sexy thing next to you?" I laughed as Terry asked the questioned and his eyes roamed over Ryder. I felt Ryder shift uncomfortably next to me.

"That's my brother Ryder. He's already Maggie's so back off Ter." Rilee answered for me. I was shocked when she said he was mine but I managed to contain it. Thankfully no one saw it. Except Ryder but I didn't really care if he saw it or not. I felt his fingers start tracing little circled on the exposed skin at the base of my neck. I repressed a shiver as they all started talking. But I didn't hear a word. Ryder's fingers were too distractingly good. I could see Ryder smirking out the corner of my eye. He obviously knew what he was doing and the effect it had on me.

When the bell rang I instantly stood up, Ryder's hand falling from the back of the chair. I could still feel his fingers and their tantalising touch on my skin and it made me shiver.

"See you guys later." I said quickly with a smile before I turned and tried not to bolt out of the room. I made it to my locker and pulled out the books I needed for my next class, English. It wasn't hard so I'd be okay. I ducked my head and made sure to avoid Ryder, Rilee and Max as I made my way to the classroom. What I didn't expect was Lilli and Cade to appear in my class.

"Hey Maggie!" Lilli shouted and waved me over. I smiled at them and moved to sit in the seat next to Lilli.

"So Ryder's your boyfriend." Lilli asked smirking at me.

"Not really." I said nonchalantly as I set my books on the desk and set it all up ready.

"What do you mean 'not really'. It's a yes or a no question." Cade said from her seat on the other side of Lilli. I glanced at them and saw them waiting expectantly.

"Well-" I was cut off as the teacher walked into the room.

"Okay students. Settle down. We have a new girl in class today." The teacher's eyes searched the class until they fell on me. I saw her eyes widen slightly at my pink hair. I was glad I dyed it again yesterday, it was starting to fade again.

"Magdalyn Black." The teacher, Ms. Stoiker, said through clenched teeth. It was like she knew me. Now that I thought about it, she did seem familiar.

"I prefer Maggie." I said, going for sweet and innocent, but it came out sarcastic and fake. Her eyes narrowed slightly at me and I sighed, rolling my eyes. She then turned back to the rest of the class and began teaching. So much for having good teachers. Every other teacher I'd had today had been nice to me. I wondered what I had done wrong for Ms. Stroiker to dislike me so quickly. Was it my hair? I hadn't even spoken to her and she already decided she didn't like me. Maybe I did know her? I sat and listened half-heartedly for the rest of the lesson, doing everything I was supposed to. The bell rang and I sighed. It was the end of the day.

I found it a little weird that this school only had four periods a day but I could get used to it. Only four classes a day. I could live with that. Only four lots of homework to do each night instead of six, like Blackwood Academy, or eight, like one of my other schools. I walked out of the classroom chatting about nothing with Lilli and Cade before we went out separate ways. I was met at my locker by Max and Ryder. I smiled at both as I put my books away and grabbed my bag. Rilee turned up suddenly, said a quick hi, then grabbed Max and dragged him off.

"Let's get out of here." Ryder said and I agreed. We walked out and he swung his arm over my shoulders, staking his claim. I rolled my eyes but didn't shrug him off. I like his arm there. Now all he had to do was officially ask me out and everything would be perfect. Great new family. Great place to live. Great friends. Perfect boyfriend and my twin was awake as well. I was starting to get along with my sister and everything just seemed perfect. Maybe a little too perfect.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

839 153 46
"He seemed like a puzzle to me, and I really liked solving puzzles. But somehow, I don't think that I would ever be able to solve this one." Amelia H...
135K 5.9K 26
FORMERLY TITLED "FATUM" Chosen as a Wattpad Featured Story in May 2017 There's a reason high school senior Athena Thorpe spends every available momen...
175K 6.2K 27
No one acts the way they are on the inside. Everyone always has something they are trying to keep from others. Maggie has her own share of problems...
193K 6K 39
"When I first met you, you were a complete stranger. But through time, I thought I really started to get to know you. To know the way you react to th...