A Charitable Scandal

By sylviaNgould

*COMPLETE* Alexis "Lex" Jeffries has survived her fair share of quick spin stories and opulent company events... More

Introduction
The Big News
The Marketing Team
The Innocent Request
The Morning Gossip
The Unexpected Challenge
The Constellation's Tale
The First Interview
The Fashionable Amazon
The Closet Interlude
The Afternoon Tea
The Empty Office
The Shadowed Stranger
The Waiting Room
The Starless Night
The Gossip's Glare
The Other Boss
The Hollow Door
The Elevator Pitch
The Silver Lining
The Morning Interview
The Father's Intuition
The Stolen Words
The Fading Impression
The Date Revelation
The Third Monday
The Phone Call
The Security Cameras
The Last Touch
The Power Shift
The Unwanted Confession
The Shot Glass
The Night Before
The Solitary Cabin
The Middle Child
The Blue Dress
The New Rumor
The Last Task
The Immediate Resignation
The Sofa Queen
The Silent Slap
The Wounded Warrior
The Right Thing
The Sinking Ship
The Two Fish
Epilogue

The Ticket Holder

260 23 3
By sylviaNgould

Emily was true to her word. After speed dressing and hopping on a cab to downtown, I slipped in with ease, my ticket readily accepted by the smiling attendant just inside the tall glass doors of the expansive gallery. The venue was the city's own Gallery of the Arts, which is housed inside a building bordered by limestone pillars, decorated with elaborate friezes, and buffered by lush, elegant gardens. Inside we found ourselves walking down a long corridor which branched off into the various exhibition halls. The walls — an art piece all on their own with their ornate trim and flawless white color — were adorned with paintings by well known masters and one hit wonders from various time periods in history. Polished statues of nymphs, warriors, and mythical creatures lined the walkway of inlaid marble, which led down the atrium and towards the majestic ballroom at the end.

"Beautiful, isn't it?" asked Emily as she circled her arm around my own and hugged me close to her side.

"It's great Emi," I said with honest awe. "You did good in picking out the venue."

"Wait until you see the ballroom," she said with a giddy smile. "I was here earlier in the day helping with the decorations. You'll love it."

She pulled me down the hall, pointing out some of the more exciting pieces they had set out for the silent auction. We eventually reached the ballroom, a large open space free of any priceless relics so that it may be used for weddings and events without fear of a drunken guest knocking over a million dollar vase. A few statues did hug the walls, but they were likely just replicas considering just how close they let guests stand by them. As for the ceiling, it towered above us, the roof a pyramid of glass that revealed the night sky. Chandeliers and strings of twinkling lights, flooded the room with a golden glow that set a sort of dark mysteriousness over the scene.

Still, they provided just enough light for guests to find their way around without tripping over a chair or running into a table. Small plates and glasses of wine circulated through the crowd, the tables generally untouched since it was still some time before the meal would be served. The band had yet to make an entrance and, instead, a string quartet played low, relaxing music appropriate for conversation.

"What shall we do then?" asked Emily with excitement rattling her voice. "Mingle, check out the auction, peek into one of the exhibits?"

"I think you should go find Theo and enjoy your night together," I said, pulling my arm from hers and looking her square in the eye.

"What and leave you to make your escape?"

"I'm not going to run. You've sacrificed enough of your time with Theo to get me here and I won't let that be in vain."

"Look," she said with a contented sigh, "he knows that I'm not ditching him without reason. He's as concerned about you as I am. He understands."

She gave me a warm smile, but then her expression shifted to something somber and serious.

"Look, I also can't just leave you alone. I may have gotten you in, but there's still reason to be a bit concerned that Tamara will spot you and have you thrown out. With both our eyes on the look out..."

"No Emi, enough!"

Emily nearly fell into a passing waiter due to the ferocity of my words. I felt a blush reach up to my ears and I cleared my throat a few times before continuing.

"I appreciate your concern, but this is not something I want to drag you into. You've worked so hard for this night. Go and be with Theo. I'm not going to run and I won't be alone, at least not for long I hope."

"Are you going to look for Alec?"

I gave her a nod.

"If you promise you are going to search for Alec the second I leave you then I will agree to your terms."

"Deal."

We shook hands with confident smiles on our faces. Emily wished me luck and then disappeared into the crowd. Once she was out of sight, I scanned over the room, searching for the man that used to be my boss.

The guests were fairly dispersed, some congregating on the dance floor for conversation, while others formed small groups around the edge of the large hall. Many were still out in the atrium perusing the auction items and walking the galleries. I suspected Alec resided somewhere in the ballroom since I couldn't imagine his sense of responsibility would allow him to get lost amongst the paintings and relics or absorbed in the purchase of some high priced good. However, that didn't necessarily make things easier on me. The bulk of the crowd was there in the main hall and most of the men looked the same in the traditional black suit and tie. They all formed a homogeneous mass and I wondered if the subtle nuisances in Alec's character would be loud enough in the rabble for me to pick him out. If only he were looking for me. I'd probably be pretty easy to spot.

And apparently, I was.

"What are you doing here?"

It wasn't Alec's voice that called out to me, but I knew it was definitely directed at me. I spun around and found Tamara marching towards me with effortless ease in her near three inch heels and tightly fitted mermaid dress. I marveled for a moment at her appearance. Her black dress shimmered in the warm light, her neck sparkled with a thick choker of diamonds, and her hair glittered with crystal barrettes that kept her elegant up-do in place. If she wasn't also wearing a sour, malicious sneer on her face, she'd be quite a beauty.

"You have no right to be here," she snarled. "You are not part of the company any more."

"I have a ticket. Bought and paid for. I'm your guest and deserve respect."

"And I have every right to remove you from the premises if you cause a disturbance," she said, her voice shifting into cool confidence. "I'll even have your ticket reimbursed." She smiled like that would seal the deal and I would just go quietly.

"But, I'm not causing a disturbance. If anyone here is, it's you."

"I know that your mere presence threatens the integrity of our charitable event tonight and that's unfair to those who spent significantly more than ticket value to be here. I'm going to have to ask you to leave. If you don't do so willingly, then I'll have you escorted."

I looked around and saw some large men and women with black suits and ear pieces, lingering at doorways and surveying the crowd. One in particular, who stood not far from the two of us, watched our conversation with an eagle eye. I knew Tamara would follow through and I knew I wouldn't be able to do much to resist. I felt backed into a corner. I felt my feet yearning to take a few steps away, ready to run. But I couldn't run, I couldn't let her win. Enough was enough.

"Throw me out and I'll have to tell Alec all about your phone call and the security tape."

"Are you trying to blackmail me?" She didn't sound angry. If anything, she was intrigued.

"You're familiar with the concept, so I think that is a pretty safe assessment."

"Fighting blackmail with blackmail," she said with a delighted chortle. "Maybe I was wrong to kick your hide to the curb so quickly. Seems you may be cut from the same cloth after all."

Amusement twisted her lips and a glint of pleasure sparkled in her eyes. I wanted to hate her for it, for comparing me to her, but all the anger I felt welling up was undeniably pointed at me. She was right after all. I had sunk down to her level and I played the same games she did. Alec left her because this was how she solved her problems, this was how she made her way through the company and probably her life. He didn't want that anymore and he wouldn't want me.

"You're right," I said through gritted teeth as I turned my eyes away. Telling her such left a bad taste on my tongue.

"Excuse me," she said, her tone no longer amused. "I don't think I heard you right."

"I said you're right. To hold that over you is wrong."

"Figures, you'd back out," she said with a patronizing roll of her eyes. "For a second I got excited."

"I'm not backing out," I replied with fire once again behind my words, my conviction propelling me forward at a speed that could only result in a terrible crash. "I'm going to tell Alec everything. I'm just not holding it over your head. That's deceitful and I pride myself on my principles."

"Are you saying I don't have those?" She took a step forward, a manicured finger lashing out, punctuating her words. "I'm a hard worker, I do what I have to do and sometimes that means getting my hands dirty."

"Maybe that works for you, but that doesn't for me and I know it won't for Alec. I don't want to lose his...friendship like you did."

"Why you little..."

Things started to move in slow motion. I saw the snarl on Tamara's lips and the bulging of her eyes. The music drifted into the background as her battle cry beat against my ears. The guests paused and turned, watching Tamara as she stepped forward, her hand rising over her shoulder, swinging back before thrusting forward. The motion gaining powerful momentum in preparation to strike me squarely across the cheek.

***

If you're enjoying this book, please consider supporting the author by purchasing it on sylviangould.com or Amazon. You'll also get an exclusive extended epilogue!

ePub and PDF version: sylviangould.com/store/a-charitable-scandal-epub-amp-pdf

Kindle version: amazon.com/dp/B07THGHVGT/

Paperback version: amazon.com/dp/1076027660/

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

436 29 11
A fun-loving young woman yearning for financial freedom and love becomes entangled in lies and scandal while working for a cynical billionaire. ...
21.8K 1.2K 59
Vicky Ashcroft is many things. A recent college graduate, an urban New Yorker, and recently engaged. And the cherry on top? She's the newest addition...
122K 8.1K 28
After the incident in high school, Cobie Evans has been avoiding the popular guys like the plague. It's until the day she sends a wrong email to her...
22.5K 502 35
For nearly two years, Anthony was nothing more than 'her sister's boyfriend'. Jem had always hated him, and he's always returned the sentiment. When...