Farm Girl Has Bad Boy (#3)

By Monst3rs

***Third Book in the Farm Girl and Bad Boy Series*** River Snow's boring life has been left in the dust of... More

Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Epilogue
Author's Note

Chapter Seven

40K 923 86
By Monst3rs

“That’s the third time in a row,” grumbles my dad as the phone rings during an early dinner. “River, will you please answer it and find out who keeps calling?”

Slowly, I push away from the table and avoid Emery’s eyes. It’s pretty obvious who is calling as they have been for the past few days and for some reason I’m always the one to answer. With clenched teeth, I grab the phone and press it to my ear while everyone at the table watches me closely.

“Hello?” I ask, unenthusiastically as I lean against the wall and stare at the window.

“River,” Alana says, trying to interpret the way a rock star would yell something over the crowd. “What’s up?”

“I’m eating dinner,” I mutter, glancing towards my father. He’s turned around in his seat, watching me with narrowed eyes.

“Oh, that’s cool. Is Emery there?”

“He’s eating dinner too,” I sigh, turning away from the table.

“Can I talk to him?”

I roll my eyes. She never takes the hint when Emery is busy, however he doesn’t seem to care as he watches me with curious eyes.

“Emery, phone’s for you.” A smile spreads across his lips as the words leave my mouth. A moment later I hand him the phone as he passes me and heads into the other room for some privacy.

“He better be telling her to call back later,” my dad mutters as I sit in my chair. “Actually, I have a better idea.” He rises to his feet and leaves his half-eaten plate sitting on the table.

“Where are you going?” My mom asks as my dad grabs his jacket. He starts putting his shoes on at the back door, muttering something we can’t here before he answers her question.

“To upgrade to the modern age,” he calls over his shoulder before shutting the door behind him. My mom gives me a look, wondering if I have any idea what he’s talking about. Strangely, I don’t.

By the time I’m finished eating, Emery still hasn’t returned to the dinner table. Every so often I can hear him laugh but other than that, I can’t pick up any more of the conversation. After my mom and I have finished the dishes, Emery is still on the phone laughing about a joke I don’t hear.

As I walk into the living room, Emery watches me, a smile on his lips as he sits in a chair by the wall. However he’s not smiling at me, he’s smiling because of Alana. When I sit down on the couch and grab a book off the coffee table, he either realizes I’m trying to eavesdrop or simply doesn’t want to be in the same room as me. Without so much as a wave or smirk, he returns into the kitchen, laughing at something Alana said yet again.

It’s been a while when Emery finally gets off the phone. I don’t put my book down when I hear him hang up, assuming he’ll come sit beside me on the couch. But instead, his footsteps don’t head towards me or the living room. I hear them grow more distant and then the back door creaks then slams as he heads outside for either a cigarette or just to be alone.

About half an hour later, my dad comes in through the front door, holding a white plastic shopping bag. Emery steps in behind him and saunters over to the couch and plops down beside me. At first, I smile at him, happy that he’s finally acknowledging me. However as I notice the great amount of space between us and the fact that he’s staring at my dad who stands in front of us, I know I’m wrong.

“I have three rules for the gifts you both are about to receive,” my dad says sternly, digging into the bag. Once his hand has clasped the gifts, he doesn’t pull them out. “No using them during dinner, no having them on at night and no loud, annoying ringtones. Got it?” I don’t have time to nod as my dad tosses me and Emery each a plastic package containing a cell phone.

Instantly, my face lights up. I’ve always wanted a cell phone ever since Mary got one, four years ago but my dad refused to accept that technology was changing. I stare down at the silver, flip phone that is clearly the simplest and dated one they had in the store. Even though I would have preferred to pick my own out, I know this is probably the only one my dad could understand how to use and it’s better than not having one at all. I look over at Emery, who nods at my dad in thanks. His is the exact same as mine, except it’s black.

“It has unlimited calling and texting,” my dad explains, turning my attention back to him. “Because lately someone has been quite popular,” my dad stares at Emery who barely notices he’s singling him out. “And for emergencies, because as awful as they are, we seem to have a lot of them.”

“Thanks so much, Dad!” I beam and he just nods before heading outside again, probably to feed the animals for the night. I’m starting to open the package when I realize Emery’s heading out of the room. “Where are you going?” I ask nervously. He hasn’t said one word to me tonight and I’m getting pretty upset.

“To call Alana,” he shrugs, as if he has no idea how his words will piss me off.

“You were just on the phone with her!” I snap, extremely annoyed.

“Yeah, but I have to give her my new cell number.”

I narrow my eyes at him and hold up my phone, still in the package. “What about giving it to me?”

“I will,” he says, before leaving the room. I throw my phone hopelessly on the couch and fold my arms across my chest. I’m beyond pissed and upset. “Oh, River?” As much as I hate to admit it, my heart skips a beat as I turn around on the couch to meet Emery’s eyes. “I’m supposed to help Alana move some stuff in tomorrow in Redwood, so if I’m late don’t wait up.”

My hands clench into tight fists as I hear him pick up the phone. My jaw hurts from my teeth grating together but I ignore it as I jump to my feet. In the kitchen, Emery has just said hey into the phone when I snatch it out of his hands.

“Hey!” he snaps, as I slam the phone into the cradle. Then, I pick it up and start dialing Mary’s number. “What the hell do you think you’re doing?”

“Leave me alone, Emery,” I say through my teeth as I head into the other room. And surprisingly, he does.

An hour and a half later, it’s past bedtime as Mary and I lay on the roof outside my window. I pull the blanket up to my chin as I hear coyotes howl.

“They’re getting closer every night,” Mary murmurs, remembering last year. Her family lost a bunch of cows to one of the bigger packs and there has been times when we can’t leave the horses in the fields at night because of the risk.

“Even though it’s kind of cool,” I whisper, listening to the leader howl and the rest of the pack bark in agreement. “It still freaks me out every summer. I mean, my dad sometimes can’t even take the tractor on the fields because they sleep at the far end in the day.”

“Okay, I’m starting to get freaked out,” laughs Mary, gripping the blanket tighter. “Let’s change the subject. How are things with Emery?”

My eyes narrow as I turn to her. “Seriously, is that on the top of your list for things to talk about?” Mary shrugs and I roll my eyes. “Well, not good since Alana came into the picture.” Mary smacks my arm, annoyed that I haven’t told her about anything that has been going on. I get into the story from the very beginning and end with my dad buying us cell phones to free up the house line.

“You have to give me your number,” Mary says.  “I’m not trying to take Emery side or anything, but put yourself in his perspective. If you left your home and went to live with him, then after three years saw me, wouldn’t you be talking to me twenty-four-seven?”

“Yeah, I guess so,” I mumble, slightly embarrassed.

“However.” Mary grabs my hand and gives it a comforting squeeze. “It’s still no excuse for Emery to ignore you, especially when you’re pregnant. Have you two talked about plans yet?”

I groan. “No, but for some reason my dad hasn’t brought it up yet. I was expecting him to already because of what he said last time, but so far nothing.”

“I guess that’s not a bad thing,” Mary shrugs. “Let’s just hope these next few months will be better.”

“What are you two doing?” Mary and I jump, turning around to see who’s at my window. Emery stands in my room, leaning against the windowsill.

“Listening to the coyotes,” I say, letting the edge in my voice rest after what Mary just said.

“Oh, that’s cool,” he replies, his voice monotone as he pulls out his cell phone. He smiles at a text message, clearly from Alana.

“Hey, Emery,” Mary says, grabbing his attention. Once he’s looking at her she gives a shy smile. “I can give you Danny’s cell number if you want. I’m sure he’d enjoy talking to you.”

Emery shrugs as Mary climbs towards the window. I follow after her, not wanting to be left alone to hear the coyotes howl. Inside, I sit on the edge of the window while Mary types Daniel’s number into Emery’s phone.

“Thanks.” He heads towards his bed and starts sifting through his backpack. “Well, I’m going to bed.”

“I’m going to get a glass of water,” Mary mumbles quietly, heading for my bedroom door. Once she’s gone, I turn my eyes away from Emery who starts to undress. Even though he’s my boyfriend, I still get embarrassed watching him. Besides, what’s the point if he refuses to even act like my boyfriend?

Emery climbs onto his mattress and starts arranging blankets along with pillows while I head towards my own bed.  Once I sink in, I wait for Emery to say goodnight or I love you. However, I only hear his breathing as he starts to fall asleep.

“Goodnight, Emery,” I murmur, loud enough to know for sure he will hear me. “I love you.” I listen and wait for his response, but instead I only hear Mary’s footsteps as she heads back upstairs. Once she climbs into my bed beside me, I realize that Emery really isn’t going to say anything back to me.

So instead of falling asleep, I start to wonder. Did Emery just fall asleep, or is he simply no longer in love with me?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

25.2M 760K 76
"You are mine!" He roars. "I will do whatever it takes to make you know that. Whether it means I lock you up in a prison and throw away the key." Foo...
7.2M 302K 38
~ AVAILABLE ON AMAZON: https://www.amazon.com/dp/164434193X ~ She hated riding the subway. It was cramped, smelled, and the seats were extremely unc...
89.9M 2.9M 134
He was so close, his breath hit my lips. His eyes darted from my eyes to my lips. I stared intently, awaiting his next move. His lips fell near my ea...
52.6M 1.3M 70
after a prank gone terribly wrong, hayden jones is sent across country to caldwell academy, a school for the bitchy, the dangerous and the rebellious...