Your Chance

By calliopetorres

Harrison is a former football player who played for the Dallas Cowboys. He retires early to spend time with h... More

A/N
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Valentine's Day
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Epilogue
THANK YOU

Chapter 18

275 5 2
By calliopetorres

Harrison was quiet the last couple days. And Carrie didn't like it at all. Ever since Adam's first football game he'd been quiet.

Carrie watched from the sidelines with her mom and Emma as Harrison called a time out. He and the other coach, Ben's dad Greg, went over another play.

There was 10 seconds left on the clock, Adam's team the Cowboys, at the Raiders 10 yard line. The boys ran back on the field for the final snap. Adam set up for the snap as the referee blew his whistle. A white flag was picked up, and one of the kids from the Raiders ran over and grabbed it, attaching it back to his belt.

Out of the corner of her eye, she saw Harrison pacing back and forth, as coaches do near the end of a close game. Before the snap, Harrison shouted "Omaha!"

Carrie knew this was the trick play, they'd been working on for a couple weeks. Adam caught the snap, turning and giving it to Ben who ran right behind him. Handing the ball off, Adam ran out to the corner of the end zone where he was wide open. Ben threw him the pass, Adam catching it as the defender pulled his flags off.

Carrie stood up and cheered along with the rest of the parents. Harrison shook his fist in the air, as the kids shook hands. After the game he told his team what a great job they did.

But during the meeting, he looked lost. The kids didn't see it, but she could. "Everything okay," she asked him on the way back to the truck as Adam talked to his grandma about that last play.

"Yeah," he answered.

And playing catch with her this afternoon, he still seemed down. She made a really nice one handed catch. Normally he was ecstatic when this happened, but today he said nothing more than 'nice catch'.

Even her mom noticed it. "What's up with Harrison?" She asked.

"I don't know, I'm still trying to figure that out."

Later that evening, she found him on the couch reading some old newspaper. The newspaper was yellow on the sides. Carrie saw that he had pulled it out of his trophy case.

Harrison didn't look like he wanted to talk now. And she respected that, especially with the kids still up. Sighing, Carrie went to play a game with the kids.

•••

That night, she put the kids to bed, and went to bed as well. He was asleep already and she didn't really feel like waking him up. She'd talk to him tomorrow morning.

Slipping under the covers, she cuddled next to him. Carrie laid her head on his chest, curling up as close as possible. "I love you," she whispered, kissing his cheek.

She tried to close her eyes, to no avail. She was too worried about him. He wasn't as outgoing as normal, and his kisses just weren't the same.

About an hour later, she felt him get up. He gently pushed her off him, as he sat up and sighed. Then Carrie heard him walk out. Gary jumped up on Harrison's side of the bed, licking her face.

Getting up, she grabbed a sweater, then followed him downstairs. He was facing the window, flipping a football in his hands. Carrie hugged him from behind as his hands slid down to his waist to hold hers. "You miss it, don't you?"

"Yeah," he whispered, barely loud enough for her to hear.

Carrie moved around him so he was looking at her. Putting her hands around his neck, she whispered, "go play again."

He dropped the football. "I can't."

"Why not?"

Harrison reached around her, grabbing her braid, gently running his fingers down it. He dropped it on her shoulder, his hands now resting on her stomach. "You're going to give birth to another baby soon. We're going to have a new baby on our hands while taking care of our other kids."

"What's that got to do with you going back?"

"Everything. I can't leave you here to raise 3 kids. And you have a job. A job you've worked your ass of to get."

"I can teach all my life. You can only play football for so long. Harry, you're in top shape, and I know you want to go back. Seeing Adam play this week, I know you miss it more than you ever have. My mom's right next door. She wanted to move there so she could see her grandkids every day."

He looked down. Carrie put a finger under his chin, tilting his head up to look at her. "Go play again."

He nodded. "You sure?"

"Absolutely," she nodded. "Give Jerry a call tomorrow."

"But what about your job?"

"I'm going to come with you. I have the rest of my life for that."

"And what about the kids?"

Carrie smiled. "You know how much Adam wants to see you play again. He only got to see a few games when he was 2. But now, they're all going to see you play."

Harrison pulled her into embrace. "I love you Carrie."

She kissed him, smiling mid kiss as his lips responded like usual. "I love you too."

He smiled, putting one arm under her knees and carrying her up the stairs bridal style.

•••

The next morning Harrison and Carrie drove to downtown Dallas for a meeting with the Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones.

Straightening his tie, Harrison led Carrie inside and to the front office of AT&T Stadium. It all felt so familiar. "You know this is going to be all over the media today?"

"Yeah, and then they'll spend the rest of the week trying to predict my season."

She shrugged. "That's how the media works now."

They entered the elevator that would take them to the front office. "I've never been up here," Carrie said from his side. "I've only been in the suites."

The elevator door opened and Carrie gasped at the sight. There wasn't a wall to their left, it was all windows. And those windows left an amazing view of the city of Dallas.

They were led down a hallway to the biggest office Carrie had ever seen. Going in, it was huge. There were sofas, 3 tv's, and one huge desk sitting in front of a window, looking down at the field.

"Mr. Jones."

A man who Carrie presumed was Jerry Jones, looked up from behind the desk. "Harrison."

Jerry got up, leading the two of them to the comfy chairs in front of his desk. Sitting down, Harrison shook Jerry's hand. "And you must be Carrie?"

She nodded, shaking his hand. "Nice to meet you Mr. Jones."

"Harrison's told me a lot about you. And I would like to say congratulations on expecting another daughter."

"Thank you sir."

"Harrison, I do have to say, I wasn't expecting to see you in my office."

"And me as well. But after giving it some thought for a few months, and with the boss's approval, I'm interested in returning for this upcoming 2017-2018 season."

Jerry nodded. "And we would like to have you back. After reviewing player salary, team cap, I've come up with an offer for you. $200 million for 3 years, with a $12 million signing bonus and an option for 2020-2021 season. That would be $66.6 million a year."

"Can I have a minute with Carrie please?"

"Of course," Jerry answered. "Take as much time as you need."

He led her outside. "Well, what do you think?"

"Take it. I did some research on the way here. That's the highest NFL contract ever offered. And another 12 million for writing your name on a few pieces of paper."

"Alright."

They went back inside. "Mr. Jones, I've decided to accept your offer."

He smiled. "Welcome back Harrison! Let's get started."

Carrie watched as he signed all the papers, passing a few over to her that required her signature. Those were mostly insurance and payment options since they had a joint bank account, her authorization was also needed.

Finally, Jerry passed over the document that would make history. She signed it first before sliding it over to him. A few photographers came in as he signed the official contract. Carrie knew this would be on the Cowboys Instagram later, then the NFL's. And the media would be all stirred up today.

Someone brought him a Cowboys hat, which he put on for a picture of him and the contract. "Well, how's it feel to be a Cowboy again?"

"Pretty good sweetheart," he whispered, leaning across and kissing her.

•••

They got home to see the kids watching the sports news with grandma. And the analysts were already talking about the Cowboys for the upcoming season, now with the return of Harrison.

"Daddy! I didn't know you were playing again!"

He knelt down. "Surprise buddy."

"Daddy's gonna be on tv again!" Emma said, hugging him.

"I'll tell you something Adam. When the season rolls around, you can watch film with me."

"Okay daddy!"

That night, their Instagram's blew up. Harrison was tagged in a welcome back photo from the Cowboys, which the NFL reposted. Many people began to follow him and tag him in their own posts. Meanwhile, people began to look through his profile, eventually finding Carrie's. There were comments pouring in on the pictures she'd posted of them, and a bazillion questions.

"What are we going to do with $200 million?"
Carrie asked, checking her online banking. She noticed that his $12 million signing bonus was already in their account.

"I have no idea," he smiled. "We hardly made a dent in my last contract."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.6M 42.4K 47
Emma Cahill is the proud, single mother of Noah, a 5 year old football loving little boy at the center of her world. At 25 years old Emma has stopped...
45.8K 578 22
There are just not enough of these 🤷‍♀️ 🫶 vote pls😉 Creds: @swaggyfire69 (If i forget to give you creds please inform me) @fctionwtr (cover) #2 in...
119K 2K 124
Coming off an incredible Super Bowl victory, Harrison and the Panthers prepare for the upcoming season. While preparing for the new season, the newly...
Baby Daddy By Elizabeth

General Fiction

2.8M 61.7K 30
Tristan Kane is a famous football player. Tristan's sister Abigail is an only mother of a baby girl. After Abigail's death Tristan is appointed legal...