Moments

By XioAxelrod

What started out as random moments between Isak, Even, and their friends post season 3, morphed into a loose... More

Walk This Way
Fair Play
Little Green Monster
Sketches
Sleepless in Oslo
Oxygen Starved
Perchance to Dream
Stalking 101
Fast Friends
Impressions
Squad Plus One
Bros
No Small Confession
Even's Hands
Reclamation
Sometimes It Just Rains
Thank Yous
The Hows and the Whys
Strings
Q&A
Gratulerer Med Dag, Even (Happy Birthday, Even)
Valentinsdag (Valentine's Day)
Proof of Heaven
Revelation
Use Your Words
Earning His Wings
Potential
Look Before You Leap
I Spy
Mutual
Breadcrumbs
Taxicab Confessions
Family Matters
Hvem Er Mikael?
Glimpse
Ghosts
The Waiting Game
I Går, I Dag, I Morgen, Alltid

Closer

432 6 1
By XioAxelrod

Summary:Even is at home, for a change, but Isak is due to come over. He's straightening up a bit when the door buzzer rings half-an-hour early. Eager, Even jogs to the front door. But it isn't Isak who waits for him on the other side.

***

EVEN: [opens the door, surprised] Sonja.

SONJA: Hei, Even. Could I...?

EVEN: Of course. [steps back to let her inside]

Sonja removes her shoes and jacket and follows Even back to his room.

SONJA: You're cleaning?

EVEN: Just tidying up a bit.

SONJA: [looks around the room] Isak coming over?

EVEN: [nods] In a bit. [He shoves his hands into his pockets, unsure of what to do.] Do you want a beer or something? A coke?

SONJA: No, no. Thanks. I...I just came by to give you something. [She digs into her backpack and pulls out a large, wire-bound sketch pad.]

EVEN: Oh! [takes it from her] I wondered where that was, thanks. I thought I'd lost it.

SONJA: No, you left it at my place.

EVEN: [nods] Well, thanks for bringing it.

SONJA: [nods]

Even thumbs through the pages. Every once in a while a smile touches his lips. Sonja clears her throat.

SONJA: I was tempted to keep one or two of those.

EVEN: Yeah? You should. [he turns the book around] How about this one?

The sketch is of Sonja, but she has long hair. Her smile is radiant, the lines crisp and clean.

SONJA: I love that one.

EVEN: [smiles] Me too. You should have it.

He walks over to his desk and lays the book out flat, bracing his hand on the bulk of it as he carefully tears out the sketch. He cleans up the edges and hands it to her.

EVEN: Here you go.

SONJA: [takes it carefully] Thanks. [she folds it and slips it in her bag]

Even goes back to looking through the book. The first few pages are filled with different doodles and sketches. Some of Sonja, some of other people. Friends, family, random others. The rest are all of Isak, pages and pages of Isak. Isak laughing, Isak eating, Isak studying.

Sonja moves next to Even and watches the images as they pass. She's spent a lot of time with this book, unable to pass up its rare glimpse inside Even's mind.

There's one sketch of Isak sleeping, his face soft in repose. It has light and shadows, depth. Even had not only used the tip of his pencil to capture Isak, he'd used the tips of his fingers. Sonja can see the evidence in the soft edges around Isak's mouth and in the waves of his hair. The portrait is stunning.

SONJA: [softly] You really love him.

EVEN: [just as softly] Yes.

SONJA: [nods and moves away, her back to Even] There's another reason for my visit. I wanted to...I need to apologize.

EVEN: [turns to face her] For what? You didn't do anything wrong, I was the one who...

SONJA: [turns, holding up her hand] Stop. If you're going to say you cheated, you and I both know that's not really the case. You and I...what we were in the end wasn't...us. Not really.

EVEN: Still...

SONJA: [shrugs] Look, Even. I love you, but...we're better off as friends. Don't you think?

EVEN: Yes.

SONJA: [nods] Anyway, I do owe you an apology. I already apologized to Isak.

EVEN: For what?

SONJA: [frowns] He...he didn't tell you?

EVEN: [his eyes narrow] Tell me what?

SONJA: [runs a hand through her hair] Shit...

EVEN: Sunny, what are you apologizing for?

SONJA: [takes a breath and walks over to the window to sit.] The night you...ran off, in Grünerløkka, Isak called me in a panic. He couldn't find you. He was terrified.

EVEN: [swallows hard] Yeah...I know...

SONJA: I...when I reached him, when I saw him, I was so pissed off. And worried. And just...frustrated. I said some things to him that...that I'm not proud of.

EVEN: [walks over to face her] What did you say?

SONJA: [meets his eyes] I told him...I told Isak you didn't love him, that...that what you felt was just part of your mania. A symptom.

EVEN: [stops breathing, steps back] What?

SONJA: [hurriedly] I know, Ev, believe me...I know.

EVEN: [takes a shuddering breath, clearly hurt] How...why would you...

SONJA: I was scared! I was...pissed that Isak wouldn't talk to me, wouldn't return my calls. I didn't know what you'd told him, how much he knew. I was afraid something would happen and he wouldn't know what to do.

EVEN: Nothing. I'd told him nothing.

SONJA: [taken aback] I...I didn't know that. Jesus...nothing?

EVEN: [shakes his head] No, I was...I didn't think he'd want to be with me if he knew.

SONJA: God, Even... [hugs herself] So, when I told him, it was the first time he learned about any of it?

EVEN: [voice tight] Yeah.

SONJA: That poor kid.

EVEN: Yeah. But Sunny, why would you say something like that to him, that I didn't...feel anything for him? Did you really think that? Do you?

SONJA: [shrugs] I don't know what I thought, Even, I was just so angry. At you, at him, at...everything. But no, I don't think that. I don't.

EVEN: You just said it to, what, to hurt him?

SONJA: [sighs] Yes. That, exactly. And it was wrong, I shouldn't have taken it out on him.

EVEN: [nods slowly, thinking it through] Like you said, you were hurt. I hurt you, you hurt Isak. [runs both hands through his hair] What a clusterfuck.

SONJA: [blinks once and then bursts into laughter] That's...one way to put it.

EVEN: [laughs with her] One of Isak's favourite words. Hey, I'm glad you apologized to him. Thank you for that.

SONJA: [calming] I didn't do it for you.

EVEN: I know. I'm pretty sure he needed to hear it, though.

Sonja walks around him and back over to the sketchbook. She carefully turns the pages, studying each one.

SONJA: I wish I could say I felt guilty looking through these, but I didn't.

EVEN: [soft laugh] It's not like you to feel guilty about anything.

SONJA: Whatever. [smiles] I hope...I hope I find someone who sees me the way you see Isak. These are beautiful.

EVEN: [squeezes her shoulder] Sunny, you will. Trust me, you will. And, hey, we were good together.

SONJA: [turns to him, smiling] Yeah...we were. I hope we'll still be friends.

EVEN: [pulls her into a hug] Of course.

The doorbell rings and Even leans back, releasing Sonja from the hug. His face is the same as a child's on Christmas morning and Sonja laughs to herself.

SONJA: Go.

Even practically runs to the door. Sonja walks behind, reaching for her jacket just as Even turns the handle to let Isak in.

EVEN: Halla.

ISAK: Halla.

Sonja stands just out of sight of Isak, watching the pair stare at each other with soft smiles and even softer eyes. There's an entire conversation taking place without words, and Sonja wonders how long it's been since they were together. Days? Hours? Minutes? She slips her boots on.

SONJA: Hei, Isak.

ISAK: [peers around Even, who moves to the side] Oh...hei. [glances between Even and Sonja] How are you?

SONJA: I'm fine. [she smiles at his confusion] And I'm leaving. I just came by to drop something off.

ISAK: Ah. [smiles] Good to see you.

Isak slips off his shoes, walks between them and heads back toward Even's room.

EVEN: Thanks again, Sunny. For...well, for everything. Sure you won't stay for a beer or something?

SONJA: [smiles] Thanks, no. I have to go. Just...do one thing for me.

EVEN: Sure.

SONJA: [nods back toward where Isak has disappeared] I know it gets...dark for you sometimes, but...try not to hate him for loving you. Okay?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

390K 7.3K 80
they have the same best friend but not the same liking towards each other. "try again later." "oh come on!" social media-ish [skam season 1...
67.5K 2.3K 20
Sapnap wants a break from his life and meets a boy who wants to aswell. They both hangout together until sapnap begins to develop feelings. DISCLAIME...
155 15 12
'He's always been like that. So determined yet understanding, a combination that pisses me off to no end and renders me speechless, every time. Yet...
13.7K 185 14
The title says it all, enjoy! :) These stories are not limited to cis or hetero relationships. These stories are not limited to the main four. Update...