A Very Unlikely Tale // Loki

By Written_at_Wrandom

Loki, after helping Thor fight against the Dark Elves, is thrown back into his cell. However, peace on Asga... More

Intro: you're gonna get confused if you skip
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Epilogue.
Outro: announcements and future plans
Hello Again

Chapter 6

7.1K 357 190
By Written_at_Wrandom

   {edited}

I sit on the couch, glancing down the hallway, waiting to hear the click of a door opening.  My body is tense and tired. The events of last night prevented me from sleeping anymore since my mind kept replaying them over and over, prompting thoughts upon thoughts upon even more thoughts. 

I run my thumb absentmindedly down the spine of the little fairytale book, tracing the faded gold lettering. Loki still hasn't come out of his room.  He's already missed breakfast, and it's getting very close to lunch.  I debate letting him sleep as I assume he's doing, but I ultimately decide not to let him miss another meal.

Last night when he was writhing around his shirt rode up on one side of his torso, revealing his ribs. The man has the palest skin I've ever seen. It was nearly translucent under the glow of the moon, but that isn't what caught my eye.

There, marking his ribcage, were layers upon layers of bruises, so varying in color one could almost mistake them for a watercolor painting. The angry bruises, made even more prominent by the shadows his ribs casted upon his skin, were enough to convince me to try and be kind. Will I succeed?

Quite honestly, I have no idea.

I get up slowly and stretch, feeling very much like an upright cat.  Walking quietly to Loki's room, a glass of water in hand, I open the door slightly to find him...gone. 

Pushing  down the rising bubble of panic, I make my way quickly to the library.  I know he can't be far of course, it's just a matter of tracking him down.

I enter the room of books and find Loki innocently by the hearth, a book in his lap, asleep.

My sigh of relief sounds akin to a whispered laugh and I lean against the door frame, taking a moment to study him. He doesn't like staring.

The glowing coals of the hearth and the filtered rays of sun are the only lighting in the literature filled room. With a small smile, I take a moment to appreciate his disheveled bead head, a strand of which hangs in his face. It moves towards and a way from his lips as he breathes.

Of course, I also notice the purple bags under his eyes and feel a pang of guilt for what I am about to do.

A large part of me knows he needs sleep, and greatly wants to leave him be. An even larger part knows he needs to eat.

"Hey, Loki?" I speak softly from the door.

He results in remaining asleep.

I step tentatively into the room, making my way to him without any effort to conceal my footsteps against the hard wooden floor.

Laying a hand on his shoulder I try again, "Lok-"

In a flash his hand is gripping my forearm like a vice and he pulls me down to look me in the eyes, still not fully awake.  I drop the glass in my free hand and make an icy, jagged knife out of its contents, which are almost to little to be of any danger. Almost.

"Loki, it's Flora.  Let.  Go."  I spit dangerously.

He blinks a little and I feel his grip loosen, though he keeps a tight enough grasp to keep me where I am.

"You should not startle me." He retorts with utter nonchalance.

"You should wake up faster." I argue, still holding the blade.

"You can summon fire, water, and trees?" Loki inquires quizzically.

I huff, "Yeah, Loki that pretty much sums it up."  I soften, "Are you okay? Last night-"

"I do not wish to speak of it." He snaps.

"Well, are you going to have more of them? Nightmares?" I re-melt the little dagger. These are the things I need to know about my new housemate.

He hesitates, "Possibly."

Ah, back to one word replies.

"Do you want me to wake you up?" I try not to seem like I pity him. "They seemed pretty awful."

He hesitates again, "It would be...appreciated."

I nod in acknowledgement, "A friend of mine, John, was only a child during World War 1, but he fought in the Second World War.  He was wounded and sent home.  When he came to live with me he had nightmares too. I doubt that it's the same, though." I pause and glance at Loki, whose staring at me, "You're actually staying in his old room."

His eyes are downcast, possibly thinking.

I grin slightly as I remember something, "Loki?"

"Hmm?"

"Can I have my arm back?"

Hours later, we are arguing.

"Loki, I don't understand how you could possibly believe that!"  I exclaim, my voice on the edge of shouting.

"And I do not understand how you could believe otherwise!" He argues back.

"How are you so blind?" I yell.

"Perhaps, Flora, I am the only one here whose eyes are open!" He is in my face now, his volume matching my own.

"But Loki,  it's so obvious that you're in the wrong here! Everyone knows that blueberries are better than blackberries!" I am exasperated.

"Then everyone is a idiot!" He says simply, sitting back in his seat.

I look at him.

He looks at me.

We begin to laugh, a welcoming sound considering how things have been so far. His laugh is deeper than I would have thought, and I'm sure this is a real one. Not one used for show.

I only laugh harder as Loki tosses a black berry in his mouth, grimacing as he bites down.

"You cheated." He accuses bitterly.

"Indeed." I mimic.

One of the many perks of plant powers is that not all fruit has to taste like it should. Loki's particular blackberry tastes like an unripened lemon.

He scoffs and shakes his head. "You mock me, mortal?"

I send a pointed glance in his direction.

"Flora." He corrects himself.

"Yes, indeed I do." I affirm, my head bobbing up and down.

"You are strange." He informs me.

"I know!" I smile brightly.

"So Loki," I begin, "did they tell you you were coming here or was it just like a big surprise?"

He sighs, his fingers tracing the fading marks on his wrists where his shackles were, "I was aware I was being taken somewhere. I knew not where."

"Were you expecting anything like this?" I try to imagine being thrust into the care of an eccentric stranger, and chuckle lightly.

"No. Not at all." He pauses, "I suppose I expected far worse. Although, when last I was on Midgard I heard of a contraption that you place in your ears that block out sound." He looks at me amusedly, "Perhaps I should invest in a pair."

I feign offense, "Loki, I am hurt." I begin to fake cry, and continue doing so until,

"Are you quite finished, Flora?"

"Not until you apologize!" I wail.

"I will not apologize for-"

I only sob louder.

"Fine!" Loki throws his hands up in surrender, then brings his hands down to cover his ears.

"I apologize." He assents with an eye roll.

I cease my my caterwauling immediately, "Okay I'm done." I smile childishly at the man, who is trying to hide an amused expression behind an annoyed one and is managing to look incredibly constipated.

I smirk, "I win again!"

I skip across the room, finally settling back down on the couch.

"Indeed."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

43.6K 1.6K 11
LOKI X READER - A SLOW-BURN ROMANCE & DARK FANTASY CHARACTER-DRIVEN STORY - COMPLETED You and your family are unexpectedly invited to a celebratory f...
448K 18.7K 66
{SET BEFORE THE EVENTS OF 'THOR'} - "Did you know," she said, sitting on the ground and turning to the prince, "that Midgard has an entire language d...
6.1K 103 16
Your dad is god and mother tries to kill you and avengers rescue you. You are now secret agent at avengers and you are strongest from all avengers so...
1K 205 40
One year passes since the destruction of the Bifrost and the conflict between Thor and Knight. Most of Asgard believed Thor had died and Knight went...