Muted protection

By Aggielula

(LOTR Legolas fan fiction) Linwaethiel, adopted daughter of Aragorn tags along on the quest with the fellowsh... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Not a new chapter as story is complete
Preview
A Flashforward
Author's note

Chapter 15

11.3K 287 112
By Aggielula

Linwaethiel's POV 

Through the night, images from the tower mixed with images of Frodo, Gandalf and the tree played through my mind, plaguing my sleep. I awoke in a mood, only soured by Legolas' appearance at my door when I exited. I frowned at him from under my hood not understanding why he was there.

"Your highness, I'm here to escort you to the hall for breakfast." His voice was sarcastic, his eyes glimmering with mischief and provocation. I glared at him only more irritated by his presence before trying to move past him. He stepped in my way before bowing mockingly.

"My apologies but I really can't let a royal lady walk by herself." I growled pushing him into the wall in a quick motion and held a knife to his throat. My hood had blown back exposing my eyes glowing in anger.

"Never. Ever. Call me a royal." I shoved him into the wall before stalking off to find my father.

Finding him eating breakfast I sat down next to him with a thump, earning myself an odd look from the corner of his eye as I usually moved silently. A skill that made me lethal in battle usually. I looked up as Legolas walked in and ground my teeth.

"What's wrong?" Aragorn asked when he worked out I wouldn't bring it up myself. When I remained silent he turned to follow my line of sight and realised who the target of it was. "It is odd, how you and Legolas do not get along, but everyone else in our little Fellowship do."

I grumbled again and he continued. "What did he do?"

He called me a royal. I gestured simply.

"But you are a royal." Aragorn stated simply.

I may have blood of a royal, that does not mean I am one. If I were to believe I was a royal, I would rule alone. I have no family. You are my family, the heir to the throne of Gondor, you are royal, not I. After finishing gesturing I stood up but was paused by Aragorn's hand on my arm.

You are my family. Whether you have my blood or not you are my daughter, never forget that. What you must remember with Legolas is that, you are both elves, but you behave differently, you behave like a human. He doesn't know how to behave towards you. I stared at him for a while before I looked at Legolas. I stood up once again and walked over to Legolas sitting opposite him, my face covered in shadows.

Don't treat me as royal. I am not, nor will I ever be. It's as simple as that. Legolas stared at me, shocked. Suddenly thought from him flickered past my mind and I caught the sentence, 'She's beautiful.' I jumped up and stepped back, before quickly walking away from him. Under my hood I was blushing, something I had never experienced and it terrified me. I pulled the hood over further and decided to avoid speaking, returning back to my behaviour I had adapted since my youth, like a second skin. Opening the doors I collided with Eomer who looked surprised. In the collision her hood came off.

Pausing Eomer looked away allowing her to pull her hood up again. "You look like you need a duel."

I looked up and grinned.

Third person POV 

The two people stood opposite each other, one in Rohan armour, masculine and powerful. Opposite the other, was a hooded woman, lithe and a hidden strength that equalled the Rohan warrior. In his hand was a broad sword while the woman held twin long knives, both weapons gleaming in the sunshine. Before any the man could react, the woman dived forwards swishing her swords in matching arcs. The man's sword clashed against them and they both jumped backwards, their swords separating before the man swiped back at her and she ducked shoving her elbow into his stomach, pushing him back, before rising and swinging her leg out to push him further. He caught her leg, swiping his sword at her which she countered by knives up in a cross. He released her leg but only after throwing her across the sparring field. She landed, one knife clattering away leaving her with only one knife. She rose again, seeming not to notice her missing knife raising both hands in front of her. The warrior ran at her, thinking she was at a disadvantage and the ranger off at the side chuckled, knowing better than to look down at her.

Linwaethiel smiled as Eomer rushed at her. As he came close to her and swung his sword, she surprised him by swiping his sword away with her knife less arm hitting the flat surface of his side with her forearm before swiping at his midriff with her knife. He had to jump back at which point she dropped down to a crouch and knocked his feet from under him sending him and his sword sprawling apart. He let out a huff before returning the favour and knocked her legs from under her as he kicked out sideways she rolled over, placing a booted foot against his arm, the other bent at the knee, the knee on the ground at his hip, pinning him down. She held the knife to his throat and smiled at him, her face visible under the hood. He smiled back up at her before showing his hands saying he yielded. She got off of him offering her hand, helping him to his feet.

Heard footsteps behind her and turned to see Legolas walking towards her holding out her knife. "Would you like to spar?"

Linwaethiel looked at him before grabbing the knife from his hand and walking a few paces away as he brought out his own twin swords. They faced each other before beginning, their speed matched their weighting on their feet equal. She matched each other equally as Linwaethiel chose to fight the way the elves in Rivendell had taught her. Their swords always clashed, neither getting the upper hand before Linwaethiel grew bored and incorporated the fighting style Aragorn had practiced with her. She kicked him backwards, turning the swords upside down getting closer than his twin swords could fight in and started gaining the upper hand. Swiping close to his side he dodged accidentally tripping over his own feet in an unelf like manner before a shoulder forced him to the ground and she kicked his swords away before straddling him, on knife at his throat the other pointing to his side. His eyes widened and he smiled before yielding.

"My apologies Linwaethiel, I have been impolite. You have my respect." He said after being let off the ground. Applause were heard from around them and Linwaethiel retreated further back in her hood stepping away from him, bowing her head in respect. After this point the y became respectful to each other and began behaving as they would to others.

~~~~~~~

Linwaethiel's POV

Four days later I stood in the hall as Aragorn burst through the doors yelling.

"The Beacons of Minas Tirith! The Beacons are lit!"

Stopping before the King he spoke again. "Gondor calls for aid!"

The king looked at him then glanced around at all his warriors awaiting his answer.

"And Rohan will answer." I straighten my back proud of the king of Rohan. He looked towards Eomer beside me, commanding the room. "Muster the Rohirrim!"

Eomer nodded towards him before looking at Eowyn and me giving us a nod which we returned as he passed us his hand resting on his sisters arm as he smiled at her. Outside the bell rang and Edoras began moving. I made my way back to my room picking up my bow and arrows before going to look for Eomer, who I had gotten closer to as a friend as he quickly picked up on my hand language. Aragorn had smiled happily, having realised long ago how hard it was for me to make friends. I had barely any back in Rivendale. Arwen was more like a sister than a friends and the soldiers were, sparring partners, and even those had waned over the years as I gradually grew unbeatable by elves. Having Eomer provided someone who I could talk to freely, if only with my hands. when I cannot find Eomer I head to the stables to see my horse already prepared standing next to Aragorn's horse. I smile when I notice Eowyn saddle her horse whilst talking to my father. I walk closer and am able to hear their conversation.

"You ride with us?" Aragorn asks.

Eowyn, adjusting the saddle. "Just to the encampment. It's tradition for the women of the court to farewell the men."

Aragorn reaches over and uncovers a sword, hidden in Eowyn's saddle. She covers it with a blanket quickly and glares at him. I can understand her need to fight, and the frustration of being looked down on as a woman.

Eowyn turned back to her horse and pulled on the saddle. "The men have found their captain, they will follow you into battle, even to death. You have given us hope."

 True. I motioned so my father saw who translated for Eowyn who still did not understand. I lifted the blanket on Eowyn's horse and looked at the sword myself before I pushed it further under, making it barely differentiable from the blankets, but if need be she would still be able to pull it put if need be. I smiled under my hood before climbing up on my horse pushing it forwards and stopping beside Legolas. He nodded and I returned the gesture. When I reached down to check the security of the knife in my ankle boot the mare under me started getting antsy nearly causing me to fall off. Legolas reached out and grabbed the bridle holding the mare in place as I righted myself. I nodded my thanks and reached for the bridle, accidentally grazing his hand with my fingers, we both retracted our hands quickly, him turning his head, his ears going red at the tip and I pulled my head further back in my hood covering my red cheeks. This was so unlike me. I moved my horse and trotted over to Aragorn who sat upon his horse as the king's men sorted themselves out.

"Are you alright?" He sounded amused and I glanced over, turing my head away when I saw his smirk. I waved my hand in a dismissive gesture. From ahead I heard Eomer's voice over the rabble.

"Now is the hour, Riders of Rohan, oaths you have taken! Now, fulfil them all! To Lord and Land!" Everyone cheered and I smirked in silence pushing my horse into a fast trot. As I rode a small pony carrying Merry galloped past and I smiled seeing the little hobbit happy.

~~~~~~~

Third Person POV

Away in Gondor in the citadel, Faramir stands before his father.

"This is how you would serve your city? You would risk its utter ruin?" Deneathor said, his voice like acid.

Faramir and answered trying to keep calm. "I did what I judged to be right."

Denethor grumbled under his breath before straightening in his seat. "What you judged to be right? You sent the Ring of Power into Mordor in the hands of a witless Halfling. It should have been brought back to the Citadel to be kept safe. Hidden. Dark and deep in the vaults, not to be used. Unless at the uttermost... end of need."

His son straightened and he looked right at his father. "I would not use the Ring. Not if Minas Tirith were falling in ruin and I alone could save her."

Denethor's frown deepened as he spoke. "Ever you desire to appear lordly and gracious as a king of old. Boromir would have remembered his father's need. He would have brought me a kingly gift."

"Boromir would not have brought the Ring. He would have stretched out his hand to this thing and taken it. He would've fallen." Denethor angrily jumps to his feet.

"You know nothing of this matter!"

"He would have kept it for his own! And when he returned, you would not have known your son." Nearly pleading for his father to understand.

"Boromir was loyal to me! Not some wizard's pupil!" Denethor cries and falls and Faramir approaches him.

"Father?"

Denethor looks over Faramir's shoulder and smiles. "My son!"

Denethor is left looking at Faramir, and seems to realside who is in front of him. His mood shifts back to anger. "Leave me!"

Faramir hesitates, and departs from the hall.

~~~~~~

Back in the Grasslands of the Riddermark Linwaethiel sat on her horse staring silently ahead. Something felt off. She couldn't quite place it. She looked towards Gondor and stopped her horse. Its movements stopped and it snorted impatiently. Hearing a horse stop beside her she turned and looked over at her father. The wind blew and her hood whipped around her head. She met his eyes and her eyes seemed to hold all the emotion, the mixture of feelings she couldn't quite sort out. He nodded.

"Go. If you need to be there then go." Aragorn looked at her, knowing she wouldn't leave unless he agreed. She may be free but she kept in mind his need to know where she was and if she were leaving. He looked into her gold eyes which he could pick out easily in the shadow of her hood. She nodded and looked to the horizon before whistling. Evrog landed on her outstretched hand and she slipped a note into his ankle holder.

Take this to Gandalf. The bird seemed to nod before it took off shrieking as it went. She glanced quickly at her father before kicking my horse into motion. She nickered as we took off riding up an embankment before she felt eyes on her back. She turned and saw Eomer and Legolas watching. Eomer nodded, seeming to understand what she was doing. But as he turned to follow the rest of the riders, Legolas' eyes remained on the hooded woman. Linwaethiel looked down on him as her silhouette against the setting sun. Her eyes seemed to shine from under the hood and as she turned to ride off her horse reared before cantering off. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

643K 24K 64
LEGOLAS X OC. TENTH WALKER. Leigh Ann woke up in a forest with a strange ring on her finger and a blade on her neck. A medieval looking man and a cer...
4.5K 85 12
'Click'~"Have you ever heard of the unknown school mystery No.8? Celeste the Star-Key Commander? Long ago a girl found her two best friends dead, bot...
76.2K 1.5K 26
Persephone is the rarest race in Middle Earth. She isn't a half breed... but a quarter breed. What she doesnt tell anyone outside of the Wizards is t...
22.8K 663 17
Albus Dumbledore personally invites Y/N L/N to Hogwarts, and he accepts. Eleven winters in this world gone and without his saying the magic enveloped...